Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by egyptrus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-721.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hi.
Due to some potential changes I might need to make in my life I was just looking to see if anyone may be able to give me advice on selling some/all machines? I am wondering what kind of prices I should expect in return on some of my current games. I have checked Pinside and everywhere else and can't seem to find out exactly what I should be looking at getting? I am not a flipper, I just cannot lose my shirt in this......

First:

1. Is it better to look for bulk sales, or sell individually?
2. Can a Mod add to the value of a game? Is it crazy to think it should?
3. Is it best to list on ebay, CL, Kijiji and Pinside?

Very briefly these are the games I am thinking of selling:

METLE (108): original owner, less that 150 plays. Bought 15 months ago. Mods: Shaker, Creeping death, all Hemi lighting, Mezel cemetery arch and snake fangs, PBL Mini Guitars, all cliffys, pinbits plastic protectors, other non significant. Mint Condition.

ACDC Prem: original owner, less than 100 plays. Bought this past June (no cloudy window). Mods: Shaker, PBL black lightning bolts, Hemi "new" cannon, all Hemi lighting, Mezel Bell cover, bass drums, PBL guitar, Brian and Angus figures, Leon's Jukebox mod, all cliffys, pinbits plastic protectors, other non significant. Mint Condition.

LOTR: was routed. Great shape. All new plastics from Stern, body armour, All new figures with weapons, extra figures added (Gimli, Legolas, Boramir, Ringwraiths), Hemi PoTD mod, Jays 3rd gen Palantir, new Ring ramp, ring and funnel. LED light kit from PBB, pinbits plastic protectors and PoTD diverters, full cliffy's, target decals. Other non significant mods. I would say cabinet is an 8.5-9 (couple rubs on the head) and playfield an 8.5-9 (shooter lane is not perfect and there is some Shire wear that is covered).

IJ: Assume routed? Bought in great shape. All cliffys, pinbits protectors. I have a brand new unopened decal set bought from BAA 3 years ago (scared to attempt an install)! New POA motor, opto board, new flipper optos, new drop bank targets, decals. Back panel light mod not installed. Various lighting upgrades. Mods: Ark, Bi-Plane propellor, Blimp, tank, mine-cart, lost plastic, rolling boulder (sucks), Indy holding the LED Skull, Various other trinkets scattered around the game. Cabinet is a 9 (just fade, but I have the decals), playfield is a 9-9.5 (no raised inserts and the shooter lane looks great).

JP: Assume routed? My first pin. All Cliffys, pinbits protectors, CT lighting, Papo Dino's, Licensed JP raptors scattered, Scoop light mod from down under, painted trees, power ball to simulate Raptor egg.
Cabinet 8 (the lower cab is excellent, but someone tried to colour match the red on top to cover a scratch and turned out poorly - so I say 8 - no scratches or gouges). Playfield 9-9.5 (only because there is some wear near the T-Rex hole - shooter lane looks great as do all inserts).

SWDE: Currently at my restaurant. All Cliffys, Pinbits protectors, new plastics where needed, LED's scattered. I don't really want to sell this game as people flock to it at my restaurant. I feel like I am helping bring pinball back by having it there for everyone to ogle and play. I know it is not the best game but it transcends generations more than my others. My only fear is that it is such great condition, it might be detrimental to keep it near greasy paws!!! Cabinet is 8 (bottom cab is great, no fade anywhere, top has a gouge out from being moved I am guessing? Colours are rich and vibrant). Playfield is at least a 9. I have had ops through and they say it is the nicest SW they have ever seen.

I won't even mention my MMRLE coming...sigh

Sorry for the long post, I do not want to be a bother. I might not be even looking to sell as I really, truly love this hobby. I am just going through some personal issues at the moment and this is the only way I know how to keep my mind off things. I hope you cut me some slack (not on pricing). I just want to know what I should be looking at getting price wise (based on my descriptions. Sorry no pics yet - take my word).
Thanks for any help you guys and girls may be able to give. I sincerely appreciate it.

Kyle

#2 4 years ago

Sorry you are going through bad times, I hope it gets better soon. I had some very sucky personal issues with my daughter a couple months back and I understand how things can affect a person. Good luck. You have some nice pins there.

#3 4 years ago

You might consider selling a pin or two to a local TRUSTED pinside friend at a good price with an agreement allowing you to buy it back at that same price after a certain time has passed. You get temporary access to some cash or space, and your friend gets a chance to enjoy a new pin for a while. Make the price an amount that provides a good deal to the friend, but not low enough that you would seriously regret it if things went sour. I wrote up a short legal agreement in my case so it was clear who paid for repairs, etc. You want everything up front ... but it can be a win-win situation.

Just a thought. Good luck on your situation.

#4 4 years ago

as for #2, it depends. a lot of people will tell you mods don't add anything to the sale price of a game, and most probably don't. but if it's something like ColorDMD I think people generally are successful recouping at least some of its cost upon resale.

#5 4 years ago

individual sales likely get the biggest $$$.

#6 4 years ago

You have a great collection and I have a feeling you'd miss it. Perhaps try selling the JP first and see if you don't miss it too much. Don't dump them all unless you've either lost all interest in the hobby, or must sell for personal reasons.

I recommend listing your pins on Pinside, Craigslist, and Mr Pinball. That should be plenty. Screw Ebay. Definitely sell individually

Certain mods do add value.

Approximate values based on your description:

MetLE $7500

ACDC $6200

LOTR $4700

IJ $4800

JP $2000

SWDE $2200

Good luck!

#7 4 years ago

Know of a guy who sold several nice huo pins on Mr Pinball. Sold first day his listings came out, all to one buyer in Chicago. Average market prices at the time. I picked up a HUO BSM from him the second day.

GLWS.

#8 4 years ago

If you have the time, sell games individually. Any package deal buyer is going to want a significant discount to buy multiple games from you.

Price the games as if they have no mods - that will make them more competitive. Most buyers won't give you credit for anything other than a fraction of what you spent for them anyway.

I don't know enough about the games you list to offer any good insight on specific price ranges.

As for where to sell, avoid eBay if at all possible. List here for sure, Mr. Pinball and any avenue open to you locally.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

as for #2, it depends. a lot of people will tell you mods don't add anything to the sale price of a game, and most probably don't. but if it's something like ColorDMD I think people generally are successful recouping at least some of its cost upon resale.

Pez...What about shakers? PoTD mod?
I might be better off stripping and selling mods separate?

#10 4 years ago

Shaker may get you $100 back, but no where near cost, IMO.

#11 4 years ago

I have read about people trying to force sale of undesirable pins to someone really interested in getting something on their wish list. In your case I don't see that, and would sell individually.

I agree, with others. Some mods add value like the shaker, premium glass, color DMD, and for me LED conversion already done. I wouldn't pay more for little toys added here and there even though people pay $100's for them. Cliffy's are always good in my opinion, but if they are hiding previous damage that should be disclosed.

I would start with trying to find a local sale on CL for the price you want and if that doesn't work I'd post here. Pinsiders can be critical in for sale adds, but usually it's because a lot of us tend to be very picky on condition and like to see fair deals. The people that get eaten up the most, and rightly so, are those that try to misrepresent what they have.

#12 4 years ago

Should be able to sell most of those quickly individually. Unfortunately (?) quite few people here might think they need a 25% discount for buying in bulk but that really shouldn't be the case.

#13 4 years ago

sell them individually for the best return. sorry to hear you might be selling them off. maybe just sell a couple of them, ones that arent your favorite.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Pinsiders can be critical in for sale adds, but usually it's because a lot of us tend to be very picky on condition and like to see fair deals. The people that get eaten up the most, and rightly so, are those that try to misrepresent what they have.

I learned early to be honest. I would never take advantage of anyone. Everything I am aware of would be disclosed for sure. I once bought a pin to donate to a firehall (conveniently Fire!). My uncle is the fire chief and I wanted his hall to have it. I overpaid to get it at the time and once he found out, he said he couldn't take it on principle alone. I just should have left it at the door! LOL!

#15 4 years ago

I'd love to hear somebody from your area chime in on the prices. I've always heard Canadians say that prices are quite a bit higher north of the border.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I learned early to be honest. I would never take advantage of anyone. Everything I am aware of would be disclosed for sure. I once bought a pin to donate to a firehall (conveniently Fire!). My uncle is the fire chief and I wanted his hall to have it. I overpaid to get it at the time and once he found out, he said he couldn't take it on principle alone. I just should have left it at the door! LOL!

I remember reading that thread; good stuff. I hope you the best.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Thats nice that your integrity doesnt match your name.
Glws.

#18 4 years ago

If you think you will need to sell but have some time id start unloading now one at a time. If you get yourself in a corner and need to sell quick, u would get screwed.

#19 4 years ago

Better off selling them in Canada unless you are willing to drive them to the US.

Shipping them from Canada to the US with STI/NAVL would be very expensive. They would charge a premium to deal with crossing the border.

Perhaps someone who has done that will chime in.

#20 4 years ago

Kyle,

I have never sold any higher end pins but from what I have seen and my personal experience selling under $3000 machines the best way to sell machines is to price them at the lower end of retail value for a quick sale and never look back.

Using Jurassic Park for example (since I have experience with that machine) and calling it a $1800 to $2200 machine. Instead of asking a crazy price like $2800 for it figuring you might get lucky and find someone really looking for one you are better off listing it at $1900 to $2100 and more or less holding fairly firm on price.

Way to often these days I am seeing crazy prices on machines and within a day or two the sellers have already posted 2 or 3 times with "price drop" on their machine. Start with a realistic asking price and machines will sell quickly this time of year.

A couple things to remember - first off - if you sell off all your machines and head down a different path you can always buy machines again if you decide you want machines again. Yes - you might sell at a loss or have to pay more later to replace a machine but if you truly need to head down a different road - long or short term - nothing says you can't replace any machine you are selling later on if you want to.

Second - think it over and don't do anything without giving it a good bit of thought. But once you decide to sell just sell machines as they are. Don't remove parts like shakers trying to milk a few extra dollars on machines. This will just make it harder on you for a longer period of time.

And lastly - selling machines one at a time will net you more money (normally at least 10% more per machine).

Regardless what you decide to do - best of luck to you. Life changes and making changes as life changes is sometimes hard but in the long run all will work out.

As far as best places to sell - that varies from area to area but Pinside, RGP, Mr Pinball and Craig's List are all good places to start. Why pay fees somewhere like eBay when there are so many free places to list machines?

Just my 2 cents on things!

#21 4 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I hope I will make choices I won't regret.

#22 4 years ago

Don't forget the MAACA forums - selling within Canada is better than dealing with cross-border stuff.

#23 4 years ago

Hope all goes well for you and your family. Good news is; you can fairly quickly get liquid in the games, priced a tad on the lower side. The bad news is; there are a lot of us "Buyers" who have $$$ invested in new titles coming soon.

I own 3 of the 6 games (and additionally MMr Black when it arrives)... my opinion on approx. values are as follows;
METLE ~$7,500
AC/DC prem (clear window) ~$6,000
LOTR ~$4500
IJ ~$4800
JP ~$2000
SW ~$2400
MMr $??? This will depend on trim color reviews and overall reviews in the next couple months. I wouldn't open the box. Are you considering selling your place now or your game when it arrives?

#24 4 years ago

With all those mods listed, I think less than $5K is a low estimate for your IJ. Pictures would help get a better figure, but if it's really that nice and you have new cab decals, I'm thinking mid 5K range, easy.

#25 4 years ago

Just remember that you can always reacquire any of those titles later should your situation improve. Good ideas for you on this thread. Key is to get your changes sorted out, that will help turn your pins back into something fun (sounds like you could use some fun soon). Good luck.

Michael

#26 4 years ago

I would be happy to speak with you about auctioning your machines. My company is exhibiting at IAAPA next week and I would be happy to promote the auction from our booth. I would also be willing to purchase them all outright if you would work with NAVL. I sent you a PM.

#27 4 years ago

Take a bunch of pictures TODAY.

Put the games up on both Kijiji and Pinside TODAY.

If you price them fairly, you will have them all sold by the weekend.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#28 4 years ago

Check the wanted sections on maaca.org and pinballrevolution.com. There are collectors in Ontario and Quebec who have recently posted 'wanted' for several of the titles you have!

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Check the wanted sections on maaca.org and pinballrevolution.com. There are collectors in Ontario and Quebec who have recently posted 'wanted' for several of the titles you have!

This exactly - keeping the pins in Canada will be much easier...

#30 4 years ago

Take the US Pinsider prices with a grain of salt. Canadian pin prices are typically higher than US (supply/demand).

You're more likely to sell to someone on PREV or MAACA, even if they're from London/GTA. We are right on the border but my experience is that US customers don't want to cross the river even though there is no duty/taxes on their purchase. Kinda strange, considering the exchange rate.

Hope everything turns out ok for you. Maybe you can start with selling the pins that are easiest to replace (ie. LOTR..VE) - that might make it easier to make that tough decision.

#31 4 years ago

I agree pictures speak volumes! My opinion is/was approx. (~$x,xxx).

I'm not a buyer, just shooting from the hip and having owned nearly 200 pinballs... I've seen my share of them for sale.

#32 4 years ago

Thought I should point out my price recommendations are based on USA prices. Do check with a few Canucks in case things are different up there.

#33 4 years ago

Ask these guys. Sorry.

image-721.jpg
#34 4 years ago

Sorry to hear dude.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Pez...What about shakers? PoTD mod?
I might be better off stripping and selling mods separate?

Mods are always a crap shoot. And their value is going to vary from buyer to buyer. Here's my personal take though:

At the top of the pile for mods that actually add value are things like shakers and ColorDMDs. True upgrades for the machine, that people will commonly want to buy themselves. You'll rarely get the full back out of them, but you can usually recoup the bulk. Saves the buyer money and install, it's a good deal for both parties.

Next I'd include mods that "belong" to the machine. So for instance the dancing boogie and skull pile on Scared Stiff. Those return things to the machine that should have been there and generally carry more real value. POTD mod, maybe? Cannon on AC/DC maybe? The line gets blurry.

When it comes to decals and LEDs and that kind of stuff, you're basically out of luck IMHO. Maybe the buyer loves what you did and will pay a little more because they'd rather have your machine than walk away, but aesthetics are such a personal thing. I'm probably going to rip out your LEDs to fix them, it's not a value upgrade to me. If you did a really nice job though I'm going to think about the time and money saved and at least factor that in.

Then there are mods where if you don't remove them I'm going to ask you to lower the price, because they're just so terrible.

#36 4 years ago

The thread below is good place to post as well. You'll get honest feedback on prices and it seems like a lot of Canadian collectors follow it, so you should get some good leads:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-in-canada-have-any-pins-they-want-to-sell

#37 4 years ago

Those games will be easy to sell. Don't stress on it. Selling on pinside is the easiest and best way to get top dollar.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Those games will be easy to sell. Don't stress on it. Selling on pinside is the easiest and best way to get top dollar.

Top dollar? It might be easier to sell on pinside as you know that you're likely dealing with another collector who has the same passion for pinball that you do (with a few exceptions like Choggard).

However, I think most of us are looking for great deals and in my opinion great deals and top dollar generally don't go together.

Dave

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

Top dollar? It might be easier to sell on pinside as you know that you're likely dealing with another collector who has the same passion for pinball that you do (with a few exceptions like Choggard).
However, I think most of us are looking for great deals and in my opinion great deals and top dollar generally don't go together.
Dave

I agree with davewtf. I'm not looking for "Great Deals" if I find one...Fantastic....but all I'm looking for is "Fair Market Value" and I'm happy to pay that and hope to get it when I sell or trade. The bonus of dealing with Pinsider's is you're less likely to get screwed over and more likely to be dealing with a straightforward honest person who has a passion for pinball.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I agree with davewtf. I'm not looking for "Great Deals" if I find one...Fantastic....but all I'm looking for is "Fair Market Value" and I'm happy to pay that and hope to get it when I sell or trade. The bonus of dealing with Pinsider's is you're less likely to get screwed over and more likely to be dealing with a straightforward honest person who has a passion for pinball.

Agreed, but when you sell games do you believe you're getting "top dollar" when selling on pinside? I'm guessing you're more likely to get "fair market value" as you indicated, which is just fine. My point was this isn't the place to get top dollar generally as most people understand what games are worth and are shooting more for fair market value than top dollar.

Dave

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

Agreed, but when you sell games do you believe you're getting "top dollar" when selling on pinside? I'm guessing you're more likely to get "fair market value" as you indicated, which is just fine. My point was this isn't the place to get top dollar generally as most people understand what games are worth and are shooting more for fair market value than top dollar.
Dave

Maybe.....in today's economy (and this hobby in particular) "Fair Market Value" could be considered "Top Dollar" I know if I had a BBB this is where I would go to move it.

#42 4 years ago

This is why auctioning is the best format. Instead of a seller having to throw out a "fair value", bidders negotiate with each other to determine fair market value. Very often, a machine will sell in an auction for considerably more then a seller would have considered asking for. That is my .02.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from CapitolAuctions:

Very often, a machine will sell in an auction for considerably more then a seller would have considered asking for.

Or considerably less!

#44 4 years ago

The most dollars I ever get are from first-time ebay buyers, and the least I get is from forum members. YMMV.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The most dollars I ever get are from first-time ebay buyers, and the least I get is from forum members. YMMV.

Well I guess I'm getting the least then because ALL of my sales have been to Pinsider's. Most of my purchases have been as well but I did buy two off eBay......but both of those I negotiated away from eBay, paid market value and picked up in person paying cash.

#46 4 years ago

I think pinside is the best place to get fair market value plus a little extra in the easiest and quickest way possible. You could get more scalping someone somewhere else but you might have to wait awhile. For the OPs purposes of getting as much cash as quickly as and easily as possible, i think pinside is the best bet.

I've seen alot of people pay $500 more here as opposed to ebay for b and c titles. BSD is a great example where guys on here will pay $2500+ for a game that wouldn't crack $2K on ebay. I am not going to look for any comps to support this but i do know it happened within the last year on several occassions. If you don't believe me, i'm cool with that.

#47 4 years ago

my mistake. I meant top of the fair market value. Scalping is reserved for isolated instances on ebay.

#48 4 years ago

Everyone's experiences are different. I've had a couple of games for sale on here over the last couple of years that I thought were priced at market or near market and haven't had much interest. When I put them on craigslist for the same price, they sell pretty quickly.

Fortunately, there are many avenues for selling games and sometimes you get a bit more and sometimes you get a bit less.

Dave

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Thousand Oaks, CA
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside