(Topic ID: 124328)

Need advice on removing playfield wiring harness.

By boneman91

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2650.JPG
IMG_2647.JPG
foil power.jpg
388155.jpg
388157-i.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boneman91.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I've decided to take the plunge and remove the wiring harness on my F-14. It seems that there are probably 3 separate harnesses all strapped together with white clips screwed into the playfield.

Is it smarter to just remove them all together and keep them in their retaining clips, or to remove them separately? I have enough room in my workshop that I can keep them separated in layers. I think if I remove them separately it will be easier to document where everything goes. But getting everything back together might be more challenging.

What do you pros do? Thanks for the advice.

#4 9 years ago

I'm not going to shampoo the wires, but will wipe them down. My soldering skills are imperfect, so will be leaving all the targets, switches, and coils on their wires, as much as possible.

The underside of the F-14 is a real rats nest, which is why I thought if I removed the wiring harness in layers I might have an easier time of it.

#7 9 years ago

Okay will leave them all together. Current pic count is up to 80, just on the right side. Using blue painter's tape to label, and numbering all the lights on their bases and on the board.

Looking nice PJM. Haven't built a rotiserrie yet, next project if I am successful at this one....

#12 9 years ago

Will probably work on making a benchtop version. I've got a few low sawhorses that might work....

#14 9 years ago

What I've done is use short bar "Quick Clamps" around the edge of the playfield, some sticking up, some down. This suspends the playfield above the workbench because the bars of the clamps sit on the bench. Then I get my teenager to help me rotate the the playfield when I need to swap sides. With the clamps pointing both up and down,t here are always some bars for either side of the playfield to rest on. Works pretty well... and since the teen is eating me out of house and home I might as well get some work out of him.

but I would like to come up with a rotisserie, but will need to be bench mounted. I don't have any floor space.

#17 9 years ago

Will take a pic tonight and upload it. But this is not an original idea. I read it here on pinside a while ago, I think. Can't claim credit for it.

I'll post a pic anyway.

#19 9 years ago

If I enjoy doing this, there is no doubt in my mind I will make a rotisserie. I do woodworking as well, so could use it for finishing as you suggest, and get double use out of it.

#25 9 years ago

Neat tips Vid. I've done the cabinet door on nails thing for refinishing before, but never thougth to rotisserie it. Will do the tape thing if I ever get a Bally. As you know, the underside of the F-14 has the 555s in a green "circuit board," not free on the playfield. The GI wiring is to 44 sockets. Could I use the copper foil there instead of the braided wire on the original?

Taylor, I'm hoping to do a playfield swap if CPR or PPS ever actually gets it to market. But until then, I"m going to try to restore this playfield. I've actually been able to remove all the inserts except 4 of the blue arrows (they seem to be glued in tougher than the reds) using Vids paint gun technique. And I want to try his painting techniques as well. If I make a mess of it, no real harm done. Has to look better than it does now.

So while I"m going to wipe down the wiring, by removing the harness I was actually able to get at the inserts. And now the playfield is light and easy to move around, and I don't have to worry when I start airbrushing like a maniac.

#27 9 years ago

Didn't know there were two runs to the pin. You are full of amazing knowledge. Thanks.

#29 9 years ago

Here is my attempt at uploading pictures for the "Quick Clamp Rotisserie" I mentioned previously.
IMG_2647.JPGIMG_2647.JPG

Note the quick clamps at each corner. One pointing down and supporting the playfield like legs of a table, and one pointing up.

IMG_2650.JPGIMG_2650.JPG

Now I have rotated the playfield, so the clamps that were originally pointing up are now serving as table legs.

Of course, you can easily remove the clamps that are pointing up while you are working on the playfield so that they are out of your way. These clamps are not particularly sturdy, either. You can't pound on the playfield or rub too vigorously, or they may loosen. I usually use more than 4 per side. Finally, these clamps are not cheap. I have about 20 of them from my woodworking hobby. If you go out and buy them just for this, you will certainly spend at least as much money as it takes to build Vid's pipe rotisserie.

(I hope the photos come through okay....}

#31 9 years ago

Yeah, this works pretty well for me. But it does take two people to rotate easily, especially with the wiring harness on. The nice thing is that I can use it with my limited floor space.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boneman91.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-on-removing-playfield-wiring-harness?tu=boneman91 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.