(Topic ID: 112784)

Need advice on how to handle this

By forensicd

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Ok, so a few months ago, I walked into this guys place and he had pinballs to the walls. I never collected pins until that day, and ended up buying his data east simpsons for 2k. I didnt know what i was doing but he sold it to me. Well, then I bought a freddy off of him for 2100, again, assuming he knows what he is talking about and it was in ok shape. At the same time he said he an excellent tales from the crypt for 2500, so I gave him 400 to hold it and pay him off over time. I had never seen it. Well, know that I know better, I realize the simpsons is very rough, tons of play field wear, cabinet ok, but painted in several spots. Not worth 2k. That fine, I learned my lesson, chalk it up to my education. Well, i go to look at the Tales from the Crypt, and it is ROUGH! The drop targets immediately break upon playing, the coin door doesn't close, the cabinet is beat and plastics look like death. I tell him i am not paying 2500 for it. A few days pass i tell him i want the 400 back i put down because it wasn't as expected, and he tells me it was a security deposit and a commitment to buy. I have been arguing now with this guy. What would you do?

#2 9 years ago

ask him if he wants to play fronthand/backhand.

#3 9 years ago

Can the guy drop the price a bit because it is in rough shape and not worth that?or can you buy anything else he has that you've seen?

#4 9 years ago

It sounds like this guy is a bully. Dont be a victim, stand up to him!!!

#5 9 years ago

Unfortunately, he has your money so getting back is going to be tough. Most reasonable people would refund your money given you've changed your mind. This guy sounds like he's been enjoying screwing you by charging you way more than the games were worth. Unfortunately, you've learned the same lesson that almost everyone in the hobby learns - you can't trust everyone and you'll likely overpay for your first game (or games in your case).

Dave

#6 9 years ago

I asked him to come down, he said he couldn't. He did however write out a receipt for it though, showing i put 400 down on tales.

#7 9 years ago

does he have a fish tales you can apply the $400 to?

#8 9 years ago

I wish. Prices are just too high.

#9 9 years ago

He's got your $400 and you are not getting it back.

So now your only real decision is if that TFTC is worth $2100 to you.

#10 9 years ago

Even though you made a bad decision, and this guy sounds like a real a-hole. You did give him the $400 deposit. You could ask for 1/2 back and see if he goes for it. I certainly wouldn't buy the game.

#11 9 years ago

Came to an agreement, getting half back. Not happy about it, but another lesson learned I suppose.

#12 9 years ago

So who is this person to be avoided?

#13 9 years ago

Name names. Put the word out here so other new people will not get taken.
    If he is a member here he needs to be outed.
    And always remember this.
    Let the buyer beware.

#14 9 years ago

Yep, the moment you've got your $200 in hand, NAME THE BASTARD.

#15 9 years ago

dont worry i will.

#16 9 years ago

Glad you got some kind of resolution, better than nothing. I kinda wish there was a way to expose these types of assholes and make sure they don't keep doing this to other newbies. As stated above we have all made mistakes when buying machines. Just learn from this and hope you have better dealings in the future. I find the majority of the pinball community is decent and fair. Take care!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-on-how-to-handle-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.