Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by jwwhite15
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_pin_family.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 12 years ago

We all joke around about pinball being an addiction for a reason. It's not a joke. When I first got into the hobby I couldn't get enough. It was a rush every time I bought a pin. When a little time passed I would get the urge for another. I wanted that rush back and I wanted it now. The problem is good pins that are a good decision don't come up often. When I wanted to feed that craving I made some mistakes. Mistakes I regretted later but at the time I didn't care. I just wanted a new pin. Patients was the hardest thing for me to learn in this hobby. Now when I do get a pin it's a great deal every time. Be patient and listen to the advise these experienced guys are giving you, it's solid advice. For $2800 I would think you could find a project f-14 for 600-700 and pay someone with a good reputation $2200 to restore it for you. Then you have something worth $2800. Also consider taking someone with you from pinside that's been in this hobby for quite a while. They may spot some thing you overlook. When dropping that kind of coin on a pin you need to make sure it's perfect. If you were buying an over priced classic car you would call a mechanic to look for problems, same logic applies. I would be shocked if every detail was perfect. Bet the ramps haven't even been flame polished. I don't think it's a bad idea to pay a ton of money for a perfect high end restoration but with your time and experience in the hobby do you feel like you know enough to spot one? If not take someone with you who does because this guy hasn't earned enough reputation to just take his word for it. Wow, that was long winded.

#38 12 years ago

See a High end restoration takes anywhere between say 40-80 man hours depending on its condition when started. Dosent matter what the title is, a pins a pin. Titles like f-14 are not done by people like Chris Hutchens because there's not enough money in the pin. If you take one to him and pay his rates yes of course he's going to do it but he would never buy one to restore. Just wouldn't happen. He buys mm,mb,tz you get the pic. Yes 60 man hours cost quite a bit of coin so it's going to add several grand to any pin. So if for some reason this guy does highend restorations on low end pins than yes it's worth it. The problem is it takes years of experience to be able to do a highend restoration and in that time two things happen. One, someone here learns your name and that hasn't happend( and I live an hour from Bmore) Two, you learn not to put a $3000 set of rims on a $300 car. Can you do me one favor? Can I call him and pick his brain about his restoration? All I do if I'm not working or sleeping(with my wife is tear down pins and put them back together. Or I watch movies, videos and read every restoration article on earth. Let me pick his brain as an interested buyer(not) promise I have no desire to steal your deal and I won't mention you. Just ask him lots of questions. You have nothing to loose. Pm me his # and I'd be happy to. I would come look with you but I can't this weekend. If you decide you want a second opinion I can come Monday. Do this also, go to you tube and search monster bash restoration or pinballmiked he just posted 8-9 videos of his highend restoration. This will give you an idea of what should have been done.

#41 12 years ago

Left message and email. I'll let you know what he says. I'll also see if he will send me some pics.

#47 12 years ago

I hope to god you read this before you buy the f-14 or ES! These pins have NOT gone through a high end restoration. I REPEAT HAVE NOT!! First off he told me the price was $2500. These are the questions I asked him and his answers.
1: What does the CPU upgrade include?
Resoldered pins and replace any bad caps
2:Is the PF clear coated?
No
3: Condition of ramps? New, flame polished, used but flawless or used in good condition?
Used with no issues. "I can't say there flawless but there's no issues or cracks"
4:Plastics?
Very good to perfect.
5:PF condition?
Excelent but not as good as my personal f-14. Yes he said that.
6:Ball guided? New, polished or used in good condition?
"I don't polish things like that it lowers the resale value" yes a quote
7: Do you tumble your parts?
"No I put them in a pot of boiling water with rocks and swirl them around untill clean" yes a quote
8:All solenoids replaced?
No cleaned
9:All sleeves, rubbers and bulbs replaced?
Sleeves and rubbers yes. Bulbs cleaned and bad ones replaced.
10:Caninet condition?
Very good with a few scratches on the head.
11: inside of cabinet sanded clean?
No
12:worth the money
NO, NO ,NO
13: highend restoration!
NO THIS IS A GOOD SHOP JOB
14: delivery to my house 1.5 hours away?
$200
15:Is this a prototype?
"the guy I bought it from said it was"
Me: what's different about it than production runs?
"clear flasher covers and a few other small things"
Me:what other things?
"I'm not sure what they are I just know there's some other differences"
Me:is the cab art different?
"no"
Me:Is the serial # different?
"no"
"sounds like your looking for a mint condition pin. I have an F-14 in mint condition also."
Me:What do you want for that?
"I don't want to sell it. You would have to offer me a # I can't refuse."

So the last thing we talked about is you.
"I have a guy coming to look Sunday and I told him $2800. If he dosent buy it I'll let you have it for $2500. That's my lowest price."
IMO this guy did a good shop job. That all. Please don't let this guy rip you off. That my friend is what he's doing. I asked about the ES also. He said the same thing has been done to it.
Be patient and keep looking. If you want a mint pin with a high end restoration done than please call the guys(and girls) who do them and ask what they have for sale.
I hope this helps. People in this hobby have always gone out of there way to help me. I'm just trying to return the favor.

#48 12 years ago

Also a one year warranty. There was many other questions I could have asked the guy I know but I think this was the basics and if the basics haven't even been done than there's no point in asking about the rest. He was not interested in talking for to long I could tell so I had to get in the questions I could. I did get the impression he didn't like talking to someone who knew a little about pins.

#59 12 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Thanks - the fact you took the time to do this for me really means a lot. It's much appreciated.
It's great that you would do this for a total stranger.
I already have an appointment set up with him, do you think I should still go?
If he is stuck on his prices, then I am wasting my time.
Who are the people that I can contact with high end pin restorations?

I don't know but a few. That would be a good thread. I'd like to know also.

#62 12 years ago

I know you were hoping to get there and see two machines if perfect condition so you could justify taking them home. Unfortunately that's pinball at times. Good luck with the search.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_pin_family.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-on-buying-expensive-f-14-earthshaker?tu=the_pin_family and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.