Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by jwwhite15
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 12 years ago

I know the situation your in and even though its great to get feedback on pricing what they are worth etc, sometimes it turns into an all out frenzy.

Machines are so different in condition AND people are so different in what they deem or what thye would like condition wise.

SO its important to figure out where you want this pin to be when your done (condition, leds, etc).

Some people buy for book value play them and thats it. Me personally I plan to keep them forever and they will eventually be top condition.

SO here is my 2 cents:

- When you price it factor in everything you plan to do or not plan to do. I have purchased machines for a great price turning down better of the same but higher price only to exceed the price in fixing it up.

- I bought a WW for a decent price and only put a new ramp on it. On the other hand I got a Diner for a fair price and dumped a $1000 plaus into it.

- Prototypes do not factor them into the price. I have a proto Diner and big whoop. Who cares.
- CPU upgrades are worth nothing. All my system 11s are original and work great. I have a Judge dredd with a new pinled expensive main board. Actually I hate it with that board. Wont get into details now.

- I would pay $2000+ for F14 if I knew I did not have to spend anything more on fixing it up.
Same with ES.

And the main thing is how you feel about the price. It does not matter if you get something for a $1 or $10000 if your not happy its not worth anything.

People who hate ES will balk saying $1000 is too much but thise who like it will say $2200+ for a great cond one.

My experience my great deals never turned out to be great after I fixed them up, the expensive ones seem to in the long run been worth the extra up front.

Good luck, both are cool machines.

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

I bought f-14 for $300. It took about $500 to get it into players condition. After I replace the playfield one day, it will be a $1500 dollar investment without factoring in my time spent.
They all reach a similar level of cost, it just depends on how much you are willing to spend up front vs. how much time you can put into it.
Best deal i have gotten was a $400 dollar pin*bot. It needed nothing but a cleaning and a new coil.

Totaly agree. They all seem to end up the same price in the end if you want them to be nice qual.
Main thing is to know the grade of the machine and have knowledge not to get ripped off by someone who wants ebay prices, etc.

An ES worth $700 is worth $700 one selling for $2000 may be worth $2000. And upwards, etc.

Main thing is to NOT pay $2000 for a $1000 machine, etc. And I am not talking preference or game populariity just book value vs condition vs what you will spend fixing it up.

$400 is killer for PinBot.

#53 12 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Thanks - the fact you took the time to do this for me really means a lot. It's much appreciated.
It's great that you would do this for a total stranger.
I already have an appointment set up with him, do you think I should still go?
If he is stuck on his prices, then I am wasting my time.
Who are the people that I can contact with high end pin restorations?

Personally I think your wasting your time. As the_pin_family outlined in detail you can see what type of machine and what type of person the seller is.

I get excited about buying pins but use your gut feeling and walk away. There will be many more belive me and you will be glad you waited. Those are cleaned up dime a dozen pins. They may be in better shape but still for those prices I would want to see.

New ramps and plastics, LED's, new coin door etc.

Even if its not a high end restoration there should have been a TON more parts and work put into this.

My deal breaker is he touts CPU Upgrades and other stuff but yet its really nothing. Those are flags to walk away as you will never be able to talk him down in price.

Just pass and keep looking. I know something better will come around. Those 2 titles you see a lot for sale.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clarita, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.99
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-on-buying-expensive-f-14-earthshaker?tu=slate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.