Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by jwwhite15
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 12 years ago

Thanks - the fact you took the time to do this for me really means a lot. It's much appreciated.
It's great that you would do this for a total stranger.

I already have an appointment set up with him, do you think I should still go?
If he is stuck on his prices, then I am wasting my time.

Who are the people that I can contact with high end pin restorations?

#52 12 years ago

Great American Pinball is a member here and he does nice work.

http://www.greatamericanpinball.com/categories.asp?categoryId=1

#53 12 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Thanks - the fact you took the time to do this for me really means a lot. It's much appreciated.

Personally I think your wasting your time. As the_pin_family outlined in detail you can see what type of machine and what type of person the seller is.

I get excited about buying pins but use your gut feeling and walk away. There will be many more belive me and you will be glad you waited. Those are cleaned up dime a dozen pins. They may be in better shape but still for those prices I would want to see.

New ramps and plastics, LED's, new coin door etc.

Even if its not a high end restoration there should have been a TON more parts and work put into this.

My deal breaker is he touts CPU Upgrades and other stuff but yet its really nothing. Those are flags to walk away as you will never be able to talk him down in price.

Just pass and keep looking. I know something better will come around. Those 2 titles you see a lot for sale.

#54 12 years ago

I have nothing better to do on sunday and he is only about 1/2 hour from my house so there is no harm in looking, but I agree with you Slate and appreciate yours and other's inputs.
I think my excitement was clouding my judgement

#55 12 years ago

Take some money and offer him $3000 for both. Cash talks.

#56 12 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Take some money and offer him $3000 for both. Cash talks.

That's what I was thinking but from the info the_pin_family I am not sure if he is willing to go that low - that's less than 1/2 his asking price - I don't want to insult the guy.

#57 12 years ago

Anim8ormatt said:Take some money and offer him $3000 for both. Cash talks.
That's what I was thinking but from the info the_pin_family I am not sure if he is willing to go that low - that's less than 1/2 his asking price - I don't want to insult the guy.

His asking prices are frankly insulting for what he does.

If I were you I'd post a wanted add in the marketplace telling people what you are looking for. It sounds to me like you are looking more for pins that are in very good shape without any issues, not a high end restore. High end restores are better than new, more like a show car versus a clean car that is stock. Most people wouldn't sink the money for a high end restore into either of those titles because they wouldn't get their return on investment if they go to sell. Not that they aren't good pins, but they aren't near the top of the list as far as being desirable.

#58 12 years ago

I don't want to insult the guy.

He's trying to pull one over on you, playing you for an idiot. I wouldn't even offer 3k for both.. Maybe 2,600 or so. I would bring proof of their worth. I would also point out that he has possibly falsified F14 as a proto-type. Tell him that you'll take them without the warranty - chances are he won't honor it anyway.

If you still plan on going to look at them, I would do so with a chip on my shoulder. I would let him talk the machines up again, and then call the guy out while waving some cash in his face (if you still want the games).

#59 12 years ago

I don't know but a few. That would be a good thread. I'd like to know also.

#60 12 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I met with the seller this morning to look at the machines.
We was a very nice guy and I enjoyed speaking with him. He was gracious enough to show me his private collection of 135 machines. It was very impressive. http://www.pinball4all.com/collectionH.php

The machines were like the_pin_family said they were, a very good shop job. PF's were in excellent condition with very little wear. What he basically did was strip the machines and do a very good cleaning. Nothing was really replaced which was surprising. One of the ramps on ES has a crack, and he said you can buy a protector for that (Cliffy). I was thinking why didn't you replace the ramp or install the protector. I just can't understand why he would have stripped the machine and taken everything apart but not replace what was cracked and broken. That makes no sense to me. If you are spending the time to take everything apart, spend a few bucks and replace the parts that need replacing. If asked him about clear coating the PF. He said "That changes the game. The ball slides around instead of rolling" Looking at the PF's they were in very good shape, so that was not really an issue.

One thing that did rub me the wrong was that he said "I told a another guy he can have the Earthshaker for $3,000 unless I got a better offer. If you want it for $3500 it's yours" As a salesman I would never say anything like that to a potential customer.

He also had a Bad Cats for sale. Never seen or played one of those before. It was a fun machine but he wanted $3800 for that also. He had a Dirty Harry machine that he said he was waiting for Clint Eastwood to die and the value to go up before he was selling it.

All things considered, it was worth the 20 min. drive.

#61 12 years ago

That guy is a wanker, pure and simple. Bad Cats is a $1200-1400 machine in mint shape. I just passed on one at a dealer in that price range. Mint condition and 30 day warranty, too.

#62 12 years ago

I know you were hoping to get there and see two machines if perfect condition so you could justify taking them home. Unfortunately that's pinball at times. Good luck with the search.

#63 12 years ago

At least you got to see a bunch and learn.

#64 12 years ago

He had a Dirty Harry machine that he said he was waiting for Clint Eastwood to die and the value to go up before he was selling it.

I actually laughed out loud on that one....

I would say it was barely worth the 20 min drive for that absurdity...But live and learn.

#65 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

BMore-Pinball said:He had a Dirty Harry machine that he said he was waiting for Clint Eastwood to die and the value to go up before he was selling it.
I actually laughed out loud on that one....
I would say it was barely worth the 20 min drive for that absurdity...But live and learn.

I had to internally roll my eyes when he said that.

I saw some more machines later in the day and picked up a BSD & FT.
Both had clear coated play fields, replaced plastics, repainted exteriors etc.

Thanks for the help

#66 12 years ago

You bastard! A BSD with a cc'd PF??? How did you luck out with that...

#67 12 years ago

Good call for getting the other machines.

#68 12 years ago

I wonder if they are really clearcoated? Or are they just diamond plated from the factory? Does the OP know the difference??

Are the cabinets really repainted? Or do you mean redecaled or touched up??

#69 12 years ago

He had a Dirty Harry machine that he said he was waiting for Clint Eastwood to die and the value to go up before he was selling it.

With any luck, this guy will go long before Clint Eastwood..

#70 12 years ago

Hasn't that guy seen Hang Em High? Clint Eastwood can't die, he'll just come back for revenge.

#71 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I wonder if they are really clearcoated? Or are they just diamond plated from the factory? Does the OP know the difference??
Are the cabinets really repainted? Or do you mean redecaled or touched up??

PF's were CC'd - there was actually one small defect in the BDS pf that was not fixed before CC but the CC fill it in and it's good and smooth
Cabinets were actually touched up and redecaled.
Solenoids were replaced everything cleaned, broken plastics replaced on both BSD & FT

#72 12 years ago

Nice score! 2 of my fave games! My BSD is minty, but my FT is more of a player's game cabinet wise...

#73 12 years ago

He's a double D.

...Douchebag Dealer.

Those prices for pins in that condition is exploitative.

#74 12 years ago

Good call on those two. You are going to have a much easier time getting out of those two if you ever wanted to, which you won't because FT and BSD are AWESOME!

#75 12 years ago

I saw some more machines later in the day and picked up a BSD & FT.
Both had clear coated play fields, replaced plastics, repainted exteriors etc.
Thanks for the help

you don't have to answer... but what was those prices you paid for those machines?
not at the place i hope!

does anybody know this seller or ever bought a machine from this rip-off guy.

#76 12 years ago

I am definitely not saying I agree with this guys prices and/or what he stands for but the Pin is worth what a person will pay for it. I personally feel bad for people who have no idea and get ripped off by DD like this. I have seen it before and I am sure we will see it again, just my 2 cents.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-on-buying-expensive-f-14-earthshaker/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.