(Topic ID: 285738)

Need advice - memorial pinball

By MasterTinkerer

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0634 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mastertinkerer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Greetings all. This might be kind of an odd story and I’m not sure which sub-forum is appropriate, so please move it if needed.

My mom passed away due to complications from COVID on Dec 28th. My dad passed away from cancer in March... bad year for me!

I’ve been pondering what I could do as a long-standing memorial. What could I buy that would have some permanence to it that would bring me enjoyment that I otherwise would never spend the money for. After a lot of thought, I’ve decided to go with a pinball machine.

My parents weren’t well-off... we never really took family vacations... but one thing I remember is that they’d always give me quarters to go play pinball any time we went out to eat. (I loved playing as a child!)

During my college years, my friends and I would go to this little dive of a bar and play pinball on occasion. We played whatever machine was there, but my favorite was Medieval Madness. Researching it now, I guess that there’s good reason for me to like it!

So... I’m in the market for a pinball machine... and I would like to get MM (or MMR)... and now I find out that they are damn near impossible to find! That brings me to the purpose of my post.

Any advice on how to go about getting one of these machines?

Should I be looking for a different machine?

Other friendly advice?

Thank you!
    BJ

#5 3 years ago

latenite04 - I planned to go to bumpernets after work today actually. Their website says it’s a floor demo - should I be concerned? Anything specific I should be looking for?

I’m a little bothered by the fact that they are asking $1k over MSRP for it.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

You can also place Wanted ads for either machine. Is new or used important to you? Budget would work for either?

I’m spending inheritance money that I never expected to have. While it’s not a fortune, it should be enough to cover a pinball machine.

No idea if I’d prefer new or used. I’m pretty handy with my hands and can figure out most anything, so working on a pinball machine doesn’t scare me much.

#10 3 years ago

The store is an arcade in the shopping mall... so the game is just out for general usage by whoever decides to play it. I was told that the castle has been rebuilt, but no other upgrades.

Asked about a cash price. The guy I talked to is going to talk to the owner and get back to me.

Their current price is $9k for a classic edition remake

Played a few other machines to see if I might want a different machine. Avengers was kinda fun... didn’t really care for Monster Bash. Going to take the kids back to play a few

#11 3 years ago

Going to take the family back tonight to try out the various machines that they have.

I’m not feeling too warm and fuzzy about paying $9k for an arcade’s floor model of an MMR Classic Edition.

Need to decide if we go for a different game or keep waiting and watching for a better deal on MM or MMR

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

It sounds like they don't really want to sell it. I would look around at other machines that are available and you might find something you like just as much, there are a lot of great titles at the moment. If you still want MM just keep looking, they come up for sale quite often. Maybe make a family road trip out of going to get it, that will give you some new memories.
    There's one in Florida at the moment: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/108570
    Good luck.

Contacted them this morning. Thanks for the heads up.

I think that I’ll also ask bumpernets to pull the usage history out of the machine for me.

#16 3 years ago

Well... the family spent time tonight playing multiple machines and I think that we’ve decided to go with a Black Knight Sword of Rage Limited Edition.

Wasn’t expecting to change my mind, but it looks like it just happened.

Gotta sleep on it

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Maybe frame the invoice from the first game as a memorial that got the hobby started. Chances are pretty good you will eventually want to add another game (or 10) or at least rotate the games every so often.

Was kinda thinking the exact same thing... unless I score a MMR Royal Edition - that might be a keeper

#20 3 years ago

Negotiated with the local distributor... will be bringing a Black Knight Sword of Rage Limited Edition home tonight!

#21 3 years ago

Pretty sure that I’m infected... definitely feeling the need to add a second machine!

Question is...

should I add the BK2000 to continue to BK theme?

search for a Medieval Madness
    if I go for MM, I’m leaning toward holding out for an original, not a remake - does that make sense?

or search out something totally different?
    advice on how to decide?

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

If you end up going with MM...i would suggest the remakes. They are insanely good quality, better coloring/graphics, have warranties and customer support, have fewer plays (or none if you buy new), have amazing upgrades, and are flat out better in every way.

Good to know. Thank you for the input!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mastertinkerer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-memorial-pinball?tu=mastertinkerer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.