Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dudah
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 3 years ago

I know the hardcore arcade purists only like original dedicated machines but at this time I have neither the budget nor the space to set up a full blown arcade in my house. I am hoping those of you that have at the least have played both types of systems could give me some advice. I've already asked my local dealer to order me a Ms Pac-man 60 in 1 Jamma system which is a vertical Jamma. What I am trying to decide on is should I get another jamma system for horizontal games (750 in 1) or try a Mame multicade. The reality is with a really good Mame I would only need one machine but I know many people say the Jamma system is better in some ways. I am not a hardcore gamer but just want to casually play some of my old favorites and try some other classics. I really wish I knew someone locally that had both types of systems to get some actual perspective but I do not know anyone who has either at this time. I am hoping you guys can give me some quality feedback.

#2 3 years ago

I grew up in arcades & had a MAME (hyperspin) with LCD monitor and it never felt any diff'rent than OG games.

Mame was great but can be a bit of a bitch to set up at the beginning

#3 3 years ago

If you play any type of emulator on your tv or computer and can’t tell the difference then feel free to go mame.

The next step that made a difference to me is using a crt monitor, that’s good enough compared to jamma for me.

#4 3 years ago

I went jamma 3000 n 1 and sold off my dedicated. They just took up too much space. I did keep my pole position and a daytona usa.

#5 3 years ago

You could get an Ipac and run mame on a pc through jamma.

#6 3 years ago

My vote would be a nice MAME cabinet with big screen, good amplifier
and speakers. The preference here is original video games (25 so far) but
MAME has filled the holes for rare games I'd really like to find but probably
never will. MAME is well supported with a nearly limitless variety of games.
Steve

#7 3 years ago

If you have kids, or frequently have others over that may use the machine, get the JAMMA. If it's just you and you want to be able to play pretty much anything, get the MAME. I've got a MAME and I love it, but it is not user friendly for my kids. Additionally, if you do have kids and get a MAME setup with 5 billion games, make sure you get a setup that does not have adult games. I can't get all of them scrubbed off my machine to save my life. I got mine out of a corporate office that couldn't get all the nudy games off it either.

#8 3 years ago

mame is a whole lot better, you can do it cheaply on a Pi/Odroid for emulation up to Dreamcast, or go up to PS3/X360 on a modest PC build($200)

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I can't get all of them scrubbed off my machine to save my life.

Uff, you gotta go in the master list C++ and delete the ones you don't want to show up; hassle. That's if you're not using a "favorites" folder for them.
But yes, it can be very confusing.

#10 3 years ago

I run a pixel perfect Mame on a crt screen with a front end to select games and hand picked list of games separated by categories. The whole navigation is done through the panel and Windows isn't visible at any time

I strongly recommend using Attract Mode as a front end it's the easiest setup I could find and take 10mn to setup.

As much as I liked my original PCBs I ended up selling all of them.

I can send my configuration to anyone who wants it, you can copy and paste on your end and just download the roms. It can run as is on an LCD screen, for a crt there is another procedure to follow that requires a compatible graphic card.

If you build it on a Jamma arcade machine you will need a Jamma to USB interface.

#11 3 years ago

A Mame offers more but will eventually break down so unless you can set it up and fix it yourself I would go Jamma. And fyi to all MAME is an acronym so every letter is pronounced and the E is NOT silent. It should be pronounced MA (a as in man) MEE and not MAIM.

#12 3 years ago

I am definitely not going to build my own machine. When I buy a machine it will be a totally finished plug in and play machine. The Mame machines I have been looking at online are in the 3k-4k range. The only reason I did not just buy a Mame to start with is because I did not prefer a machine with a PC running windows in it. I also did not want to have to use a keyboard... kinda kills the whole arcade illusion so to speak. I also don't want to have to hold a hand held game controller like Xbox to play a game which I have seen some of them use for some games. I mean if you can't use an arcade joystick why even buy a stand up arcade style machine... might as well just use the home console version. I've already been down that road with multiple systems and they just collected dust. I sold off all of that vintage game stuff years ago.

#13 3 years ago

Then go Jamma for sure. Ive owned 3 Mame's. They all eventually just errored out. If for some reason your jamma should break they are cheap enough to replace and are plug and play with zero set up for games. Often on Mames even if the thing comes fully loaded with games there is no way they have taken the time to configure each game to the controls which must be done on a title to title basis.

#15 3 years ago

Well is anyone here already using the 750 in 1 horizontal games Jamma board? If so what are your thoughts and were there any top shelf games that did not perform properly?

#16 3 years ago

RIP my old Mamewah/arcade VGA config after my hard drive ate it and I didn't back it up like a numbskull. Swapped in a Pi solution, and while it's OK on my WG9200 CRT I miss the simplicity of the interface and the accurate clock rates.

May have to try one of these new 3D Pandora's box doohickies.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

TheLaw can't handle the truth.

I'll never pronounce it "JIFF" either dammit!

#18 3 years ago

Me neither. Its obviously a hard "G." Jiff is peanut butter.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from dirtyharriet:

I know the hardcore arcade purists only like original dedicated machines but at this time I have neither the budget nor the space to set up a full blown arcade in my house. I am hoping those of you that have at the least have played both types of systems could give me some advice. I've already asked my local dealer to order me a Ms Pac-man 60 in 1 Jamma system which is a vertical Jamma. What I am trying to decide on is should I get another jamma system for horizontal games (750 in 1) or try a Mame multicade. The reality is with a really good Mame I would only need one machine but I know many people say the Jamma system is better in some ways. I am not a hardcore gamer but just want to casually play some of my old favorites and try some other classics. I really wish I knew someone locally that had both types of systems to get some actual perspective but I do not know anyone who has either at this time. I am hoping you guys can give me some quality feedback.

The 60-in-1 / 700-in-1 boards are also emulators. They suffer from the same issues/ complaints as a MAME system. IMO just go MAME. It’s not perfect but the only way to get perfect is a dedicated original game.

Additionally, the MAME options out there have filters to add scanlines, to compensate for using an LCD screen whereas the games were made for curved CRTs. The Jamma boards don’t do that.

You can also just buy a Pandora which has a million games, options, and is basically a MAME board without requiring a PC. Our MAME setup runs on raspberry pi. Same diff.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The 60-in-1 / 700-in-1 boards are also emulators. They suffer from the same issues/ complaints as a MAME system. IMO just go MAME. It’s not perfect but the only way to get perfect is a dedicated original game.
Additionally, the MAME options out there have filters to add scanlines, to compensate for using an LCD screen whereas the games were made for curved CRTs. The Jamma boards don’t do that.
You can also just buy a Pandora which has a million games, options, and is basically a MAME board without requiring a PC. Our MAME setup runs on raspberry pi. Same diff.

I went with pandora 7 and love it. everything plays great and I got 3000 games.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I went with pandora 7 and love it. everything plays great and I got 3000 games.

Woody, have you added any games? Looking at the game list I did not see Robotron, or Crazy Climber. I'm thinking going this route instead of rebuilding Mame on a new computer for time # 4.
Thanks. Sputnik

#22 3 years ago

Not sure about the 750-in-1 JAMMA option. I have a JAMMA cab with a horizontal CRT monitor and a Pandora's Box 6 (1300-in-1). It works great for most mid-80s to early 90s titles and you can easily add your own games. They play near perfectly, but there is ocassional screan tearing. There aren't as many configuration options as on a pure MAME setup, but it's pretty much plug-and-play. There are a lot of knock offs out there... FYI - there is no legit Pandora's Box\Key 7. Yea, technically it's a knock-off of a knock-off, but you never know what you are going to get under the hood. Most of the 'legit' units you will find out there now will be Pandora's Box 6 (successor to the PB4, PB5) or Pandora's Box 9 (geared more for console games). Haven't seen much of the newer Pandora's Box 3D yet, but not sure if that's even legit either.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Sputnik:

Woody, have you added any games? Looking at the game list I did not see Robotron, or Crazy Climber. I'm thinking going this route instead of rebuilding Mame on a new computer for time # 4.
Thanks. Sputnik

I have not added games but I am pretty sure crazy climber is on there but robotron is not. Black widow is not either which I wanted.

#24 3 years ago

What do these Pandora box run on to retail for 150$ ?

#25 3 years ago

Don’t do mame unless you are also a PC nerd. I have built countless 60 in 1 machines and 6 mame cabinets with all different amounts of nonsense. When it’s all said and done, I have exactly none of them now and just own my 10 favorite arcade games and am way happier now.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

What do these Pandora box run on to retail for 150$ ?

you can order them from China for like $40

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Don’t do mame unless you are also a PC nerd. I have built countless 60 in 1 machines and 6 mame cabinets with all different amounts of nonsense. When it’s all said and done, I have exactly none of them now and just own my 10 favorite arcade games and am way happier now.

Thanks... I'll take that as sage advice. I appreciate everyone who has responded in this thread. I will be going with the Jamma set ups for now (1 for vertical... 1 for horizontal). I think this is my best approach at this time because I'm old, lazy and sure as hell am no computer nerd. If down the road I find I'm in love with some games that perform poorly on the jamma systems... at least I will now know exactly which dedicated games to purchase.

1 week later
#28 3 years ago

MAME has always discouraged me. Many hours of getting ROMs/previews/animations/menus no thanks.
Raspberry Pi's emulation has come a long way. I got a Torrent from ArcadePunks.com and threw it on an SD card.
Pi+Case+Nice SNES Bluetooth controller all from Amazon and I have a kick ass setup for $100 and no time at all!
If you want to interface arcade controls and throw it in a cabinet that's very easy and cheap also!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-jamma-vs-mame?hl=thomas3184 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.