You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-1429 (resized).PNG
InkedIMG-1439_LI (resized).jpg
IMG-1438 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I picked up a Sinbad SS recently for fairly cheap. Fixed it up a bit to get all the playfield components working, and playable at times, but there seems to be a few issues that I think are being caused by the boards, particularly coils in the chime box and out hole kicker staying active and heating up. It functions varying on days it wants to. I noticed the wires to the boards have been soldered directly to the MPU and driver boards. The only thing I can think of doing for a fix is buying new boards and edge connectors. The MPU has some battery corrosion and two wires fell off as a result. There is also a bad looking transistor on the driver board. I looked into the boards made by Ni-Wumpf and edge connectors from Docent Electronics, the cost seems to be just under $500. I really like Sinbad, but am hesitant to put this money into the machine, and also hate the idea of this just being a parts machine. Is there a cheaper way to fix this up?

Thanks

IMG-1429 (resized).PNGIMG-1429 (resized).PNGIMG-1438 (resized).jpgIMG-1438 (resized).jpgInkedIMG-1439_LI (resized).jpgInkedIMG-1439_LI (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Get molex connectors first between the MPU and driver board and go from there
Don't make it a parts pin. Sinbad is a GREAT game

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from jrobinson90:

Is there a cheaper way to fix this up?

If you have (basic) soldering skills try LISY1 as a replacement for your MPU https://lisy.dev/lisy1.html

In any case desolder that old 'Datasentry' Batterie as fast as possible.
The leakage of that Battery will things make even worse.

#4 3 years ago

Pascal all-in-one board will cost you $350 or so. That's the route I would go.

#5 3 years ago

Pascal is the only way to go.

#6 3 years ago

I second that.

#7 3 years ago

Could be a grounding problem between the boards. Suggest soldering seperate
ground and 5v wires between boards and supply. Also make sure the 5v supply
is close to that value.

Sounds like your boards are working, just a poor connection between them.

#8 3 years ago

That playfield looks great. Save it.

I also am a big fan of the Pascal all in one board. Eliminates the interconnect, but you still need to remake a few edge connectors.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Pascal all-in-one board will cost you $350 or so. That's the route I would go.

Here's the link:

https://www.flippp.fr/pi1x4.php

#10 3 years ago

It sounds like one of the unobtainium spider chips on the cpu board is failing. No choice but to get a replacement board.

All those wires soldered to the boards is considered a hack and should be removed. You will need to get the correct edge connectors and pins from Great Plains Electronics. Then, any replacement boards you get will be unpluggable just like the original boards were.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from bontango:

If you have (basic) soldering skills try LISY1 as a replacement for your MPU https://lisy.dev/lisy1.html
In any case desolder that old 'Datasentry' Batterie as fast as possible.
The leakage of that Battery will things make even worse.

Have had an excellent experience reviving games with the Lisy boards and they are easy and fun to build. Saved a Charlie's Angels last year which had no head (cabinet and playfield only) with a Lisy1 and buying a head and other boards from eBay and local pinball friends.

Have also successfully used Lisy80 and Lisy35 with friend's games. These are my go-to boards when debugging a game with a broken MPU because switch matrix, solenoid and lamp testing is all supported through the web interface. They do take ~30 seconds to boot though.

I find reviving system 1 MPUs is a futile waste of time - Lisy1, Ni-Wumpf and likely anything else will be more reliable . Anyway, Sinbad is a great game, is deserves to be saved and enjoyed!

#12 3 years ago

Hey son, don't be so cheap. Just buy the Pascal board and be done with it. Just kidding, I know you're a starving college student. Good luck with your first project machine.

#13 3 years ago

Anyone looking for a "Sinbad" project pin? If so, PM me.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Anyone looking for a "Sinbad" project pin? If so, PM me.

Well yeah, but where are you?????

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from zarco:

Well yeah, but where are you?????

Myrtle Beach,SC
I might have a block on that in my settings, I will look into it later, thanks for letting me know. If you want more info please PM me so we don't tie up the guys thread

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-gottlieb-system-1-boards-for-sinbad?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.