Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dzoomer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello- new here and looking for advice. Purchased a WOZ 75 for the family a few months ago and absolutely love it. Perfect game for the kids, deep game for me. Looking to buy a 2nd one. GB Premium or MMr. I find MMr super fun to play, my biggest concerns are cost (compared to GB) and its depth. Depth seems to be super important, especially if it'll be at home for a long time. Do you think it would get boring/one dimensional after awhile at home?

With GB, I love the theme, biggest concern is playability. I've had a hard time with the one Pro I played (very difficult and drains a lot), but I've read enough about certain mods to help make the game more playable for the family... I think??

Any insight on deciding between the two would be much appreciated. Best game for family and to compliment WOZ...

Thanks

#2 2 years ago

I would suggest The Hobbit or maybe Dialed In....If you like WOZ then another JJP machine makes sense to me....Either way I would stay away from Ghostbusters....great theme but questionable quality issues....

#3 2 years ago

Find a good original MM. The quality is there, you know it is. The boards can be fixed or replaced pretty easily and Ill bet you can find one cheaper than a MMR.

#4 2 years ago

I have a WOZ and I love it. I also have a MMR which I also love. I love the artwork and theme on GB. I've played about 20 games in total on GB. I want to love GB, but I don't enjoy playing it like I do on MMR or WOZ.
I think you should play the game some before you make a choice.
Good Luck on the search.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Find a good original MM. The quality is there, you know it is. The boards can be fixed or replaced pretty easily and Ill bet you can find one cheaper than a MMR.

IMO originals will cost more than a remake, unless it's in very poor condition.

#6 2 years ago

GB with the center post and a few other mods is great as I've posted before. MM is also a great game. Both excellent choices, so you can't go wrong either way - but you will want to do the few GB mods or it can be quite frustrating. Which I contend is the main reason for most of the "I can't get into GB" comments -> it's tough to enjoy a game that you *never* do well at.

#7 2 years ago

There is a reason mm is rated #1. Fantastic game, doesn't get boring. But, I would agree that a hobbit or DI might be better for kids. Forget GB with all its issues.

#8 2 years ago

Pass on GB. You mentioned you question its playability and you are right. It is kind of a mess and cheap drains happen all the time. I wish it played like it looked. If that is your choice get a HUO one. They are not to hard to find and come up.

MM is a fun game with a great original theme, but not a good choice if you want depth. Don't think kids will go ga ha over it either. It is a hit or miss.

I would get LOTR. Fun shots - super deep. Everyone likes it or at least respects it. Kids and spouses usually dig it also!

Since you have WOZ and enjoy it why not look at Hobbit or wait for Dialed In? Lastly, I like SM and ST also for a game everyone can enjoy with a fair amount of depth. Good luck!

#9 2 years ago

I would highly recommend a mm or mmr if you must. I picked up a restored one few weeks a go(with tons of mods for just a little more than a mmr) and its a blast to play much like my afm. I wanted to love gb but mm is just so much more fun and has the total pinball package that makes it one the best ever.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

Hello- new here and looking for advice. Purchased a WOZ 75 for the family a few months ago and absolutely love it. Perfect game for the kids, deep game for me. Looking to buy a 2nd one. GB Premium or MMr. I find MMr super fun to play, my biggest concerns are cost (compared to GB) and its depth. Depth seems to be super important, especially if it'll be at home for a long time. Do you think it would get boring/one dimensional after awhile at home?
With GB, I love the theme, biggest concern is playability. I've had a hard time with the one Pro I played (very difficult and drains a lot), but I've read enough about certain mods to help make the game more playable for the family... I think??
Any insight on deciding between the two would be much appreciated. Best game for family and to compliment WOZ...
Thanks

Mm has plenty to do and depth if its set up right. Getting to the end is no easy task in most cases. I think mm wld be a great second pin to your super deep woz....

#11 2 years ago

I personally would get Ghostbusters but if you want a game the whole family would enjoy get medieval madness.

#12 2 years ago

Really appreciate the insight!

I 'want' to like Ghostbusters too. Theme is just so good. Hoping to play a Premium soon with some mods that have made it more playable.

As for MMr, what does 'if set up right' mean from a depth standpoint? Thanks.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

Really appreciate the insight!
I 'want' to like Ghostbusters too. Theme is just so good. Hoping to play a Premium soon with some mods that have made it more playable.
As for MMr, what does 'if set up right' mean from a depth standpoint? Thanks.

Factory settings , open outlanes and 7 degree angle on mm and it plays very fast and will be a challenge to finish for most people.

#14 2 years ago

I have a woz and hobbit. Kids love both and have depth on both for advanced players. I took kids to play a GB premium and they all left saying it was cool, but didn't want one due to difficulty. They fully understand hobbits rules and can advance. Between your options listed, I would think MMR is better for family, but I would prefer GB as a more difficult challenge. MMR can get old fast. If you're open to other ideas, I second the hobbit or DI.

#15 2 years ago

GB can be understandably frustrating to pump quarters into but is great on free play
I added a center post and air ball protectors. It has been 100% reliable

#16 2 years ago

I've played a totally tricked out GB Prem that played as beautifully as that game can and would still pick MMr

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I have a woz and hobbit. Kids love both and have depth on both for advanced players. I took kids to play a GB premium and they all left saying it was cool, but didn't want one due to difficulty. They fully understand hobbits rules and can advance. Between your options listed, I would think MMR is better for family, but I would prefer GB as a more difficult challenge. MMR can get old fast. If you're open to other ideas, I second the hobbit or DI.

Any pin can get stale even ones with deep code... its just how it is. I got rid of acdc, twdp, rbion , met after few months and they have some awesome deep code but bsd and many other b/w pins are still here years later . Just bc these newer pins are super deep it doesn't always mean they are as good as some classics. Theres much more to a game then deep rules and many of the older pins have that it factor .

#18 2 years ago

Some have mentioned Spider Man. I've never played it, but given its theme and solid ratings, any opinions on that vs. GB and MMR?
Thanks

#19 2 years ago

Spiderman is a great game too, not too difficult for a new player, shots are fun, good rule set. The older game is better I feel because 2007 was a time when stern quality was much better (service rails, better speaker box, etc.). I do wish the older game was based on the comic book like the VE.

#20 2 years ago

My take.... Get the GB. MM was an awesome game for its time, but its shine has been faded by all the new games that offer new and different toys. I had a MMR on preorder the day they were announced. Ended up canceling my order before delivery as every time I had the opprotunity to play an original that had other games near by, I'd opt for something else. MM was fun and neat, but since I had always played it every chance I could, I got bored with it. I know that can happen with any game, but just my take on it.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Any pin can get stale even ones with deep code... its just how it is. I got rid of acdc, twdp, rbion , met after few months and they have some awesome deep code but bsd and many other b/w pins are still here years later . Just bc these newer pins are super deep it doesn't always mean they are as good as some classics. Theres much more to a game then deep rules and many of the older pins have that it factor .

I totally agree with you. They all get stale, but some are easier to get burned out on than others. I love mm, but after playing it in the wild a while, I knew right away I wouldn't own it. Everyone has different takes, and opinions and that's OK. The best advice anyone can ever give in this case is simply to go play each game your interested in before deciding.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

Some have mentioned Spider Man. I've never played it, but given its theme and solid ratings, any opinions on that vs. GB and MMR?
Thanks

I'd get MM or SM. Honestly right now, SM is one of the best values in a sub $5K pin -- I'm talking the original version, not SMVE. It's great playing game for all.

#23 2 years ago

Had a chance to play GB Premium with slightly longer flippers. Wow what a difference. Seemed a lot more fun! Big improvement. Anyone else notice that? I imagine a center post also helps in a similar fashion.

Thanks

#24 2 years ago

Why is SM so much less expensive? Any particular reason why?

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

Why is SM so much less expensive? Any particular reason why?

Been out a while, they made a ton, and then the SMVE release lowered the value (Same thing with IMVE and original IM)

#26 2 years ago

It's last call for a new MMR so if you want new, now is the time. I'd take a new MMR over an older much-more used MM every time (the MM would have to be much used to compare price-wise). I put skin in the game as well, purchasing a new MMR in the last few days. Rated #1 so it is a very popular game. Great theme too. Can't go wrong here imo.

GB will be available for quite a while yet so there is no rush to buy. I'm going to wait and see how it all plays out (haha). The pin has its fans and haters, which for such a popular theme means the game design/play can be polarizing. The pin will need work, adjustment, and mods to get it where you want for playability and ease of play.

SM is a good cheaper option. Well liked. There is the SMVE option if you want a new machine. Personally, I'd go used for that title, and again there is no rush.

GL and post up your decision.

#27 2 years ago

This question was brought up maybe 2 months ago. GB vs. MM. I would search and check responses. The op elected to go with GB.

#28 2 years ago

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate the help. Still debating... Basically narrowing it down to three- MMR, GB Prem, and SMVE. All have their pluses/minues I think (cost, depth, flow), but these are the three finalists. I really want a newer game from a lighting and sound standpoint.

When someone says the GB code is too 'linear', what does that mean?

Thanks

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate the help. Still debating... Basically narrowing it down to three- MMR, GB Prem, and SMVE. All have their pluses/minues I think (cost, depth, flow), but these are the three finalists. I really want a newer game from a lighting and sound standpoint.
When someone says the GB code is too 'linear', what does that mean?
Thanks

It means there is a path or steps that need to be followed (more or less) to progress on the pin (and get deeper into the coding and modes). And if you sink a ball it often starts over again. It gets old and repetitive.

Good luck.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milan, OH
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Tulsa, OK

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside