Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Texas (resized).png
    Tennessee (resized).png
    565DD461-7143-47D7-97E6-08D76FF066FE (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20201020-231539_Chrome (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

You cannot disagree that history is being rewritten these days or at least not taught.

I honestly don't know what this means but I don't have the energy to argue about it either.

Quoted from jawjaw:

OP is just looking for a better place to raise family.

He's looking for a white, conservative, idealistic Pleasantville to raise his family, without having to worry about "crime" and the "libs" corrupting the youth of America with their crazy ideas and socilaism!

I personally don't care where he wants to move it's just depressing to read why he wants to move there. Wild to me people still think this way in 2020.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Yes, nothing like forcing religion on kids that can't yet decide for themselves, forcing them to mindlessly recite some "patriotic" nonsense they don't understand the point of, deciding what is "real" history, and moving to the most conservative bubble possible to NOT "indoctrinate" your kids...
    It sounds like a time machine to 1940s Alabama may be your best bet.

So ignorant. Im surprised you didnt infer that the op was racist.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Being a Conservative family we wish to avoid any Blue, Progressive areas (sorry, mods. had to mention it for relevance).

No tiny towns. Wife likes having some big box grocers, Target, Costco, Starbucks, etc. No big city living due to aforementioned libs/progressives and crime. So, upscale suburb or other?

We like the outdoors. Rivers, lakes, greenery, camping areas, scenic areas, mountains are a plus. Idaho really shines in this aspect.

A desirable and growing area for me to practice real estate.

Great school system where they still say the pledge of allegiance, teach real history, and don't indoctrinate the kids

Safety, cleanliness, nice public parks, etc

3500-4000 sq ft w/game room and ideally a pool

Budget:

Probably $500k-$600k (big prop tax bill factored in)

Well aside from that first issue you mention, the Austin area comes to mind. But as you mention Texas is BIG, Austin 'area' is BIG. Close enough to some fantastic outdoor type activities and close enough to big shopping. Likely to find some pockets where the politics suit your inclinations.
    I personally love Tx hill country and plan to settle out there if ever I have some golden years.
    Your budget should get a pretty nice spread in that area.

Next up if you want big city dwelling, investigate The Woodlands, the political leanings are in your wheelhouse and MOST of the other things your searching for are there. Not that close to nice outdoor activities, humidity is a killer though. It's NOT quite as bad in the hill country.

FWIW, that's my 2 pennies.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

You cannot disagree that history is being rewritten these days or at least not taught.

Many would disagree with your suggestion that what we all learned in the classroom back in the day was the “real history” that’s now being perverted and hidden, but then we’d essentially be debating politics (school board politics, but still). Which isn’t where OP was going with this. He did a bit of editorializing in his first post, of course, but it was mainly in service of explaining what he’s looking for in a new hometown, which seems fair enough. I don’t have to agree with him or what he says he wants out of life to respect his right to go out and try to find it.

Quoted from jawjaw:

There is also no denying some schools and communities are better than others.

I don’t think anyone would deny that, though this thread underlines that those are both highly subjective judgments.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

But as you mention Texas is BIG, Austin 'area' is BIG.

About a decade ago my parents were thinking about moving to Texas. I havent lived with them for decades, but Austin was the most appealing to me, although they're far more conservative then I am.

They ended up moving to Nova Scotia

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Cities are mostly liberal while outside areas and rural more conservative

This is what I am trying to figure out.... This describes every state in the country. Is California the exception?

Reading through the post, I think the OP is basically looking for an upper-middle class, white suburb, with taxes/property values high enough to keep out everything else. You can find those everywhere. I have never been to California, maybe those places don't exist there.

Good luck with your move!

#57 3 years ago

New Branfuels area....access to San Antonio and Austin

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I honestly don't know what this means but I don't have the energy to argue about it either.

He's looking for a white, conservative, idealistic Pleasantville to raise his family, without having to worry about "crime" and the "libs" corrupting the youth of America with their crazy ideas and socilaism!
    I personally don't care where he wants to move it's just depressing to read why he wants to move there. Wild to me people still think this way in 2020.

History books are being edited, I don't know what to tell you. It's all debatable. Some things are removed simply because other things are being taught and you can not go over everything in history in one course. I have kids and seen what they are being taught. Whatever. Is it that hard to understand wanting to move away from a community that has high taxes, bad politics, bad performing schools, and high costs of living?

Quoted from ralphwiggum:

This is what I am trying to figure out.... This describes every state in the country.

Pretty much. People seem to have this stereotypical view of people in Texas like the guy who thinks we are all redneck cowboys riding around on horses.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

So ignorant. Im surprised you didnt infer that the op was racist.

I'm sure the irony of this will be lost on you, but calling me ignorant for not wanting to live in a bubble is some impressive mental gymnastics. Only eclipsed by your second statement using "infer" incorrectly in a way that when read actually implies that YOU think the op is racist. Very well played.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Is it that hard to understand wanting to move away from a community that has high taxes, bad politics, bad performing schools, and high costs of living?

Well, in this case it sounds like he is preparing for high taxes, is concerned with the patriotism of the school more than the quality of the education, and is looking at a house over half a million dollars, so it sounds like none of those are his concern.

Bad politics is completely subjective but if your politics and beliefs are compromised by where you live they probably weren't that important to you anyway.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Well, in this case it sounds like he is preparing for high taxes, is concerned with the patriotism of the school more than the quality of the education, and is looking at a house over half a million dollars, so it sounds like none of those are his concern.
    Bad politics is completely subjective but if your politics and beliefs are compromised by where you live they probably weren't that important to you anyway.

Absolutely no idea what you are saying now. You seem to have a problem with patriotism and amount of money op has to spend on a home. If the entire community where the OP lives is like that, I can see why he wants to move.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Absolutely no idea what you are saying now.

That's very obvious.

All the things you are saying he wants to leave behind are things he included in is first post that he will be looking for or taking on in his new location. He is not running from any of these things you mention, but rather moving to them.

Quoted from jawjaw:

You seem to have a problem with patriotism and amount of money op has to spend on a home.

I have neither. I think its super weird that the pledge of allegiance is what makes his (or anyone's) list as a good school. I don't recall anyone tallying up the number of times I had to recite it when applying to college or before I got a promotion at work.

I only mentioned money because you brought it up (twice - taxes and cost of living). I don't care how much money he has or how he spends it. My point was if you're spending alot of money on a house and acknowledge you're going to have a large tax bill, "cost of living" probably isn't a large factor in your decision.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it before I get moderated ha since it's not going to matter anyway.

#63 3 years ago

Lots of good options would fit the bill (native Texan, have lived in several places in the state):

D/FW has been covered pretty well, personally I'd go for the Richardson/Plano area (maybe even up to Frisco or even further north toward Little Elm to get a bit more house/$$$). Close proximity to "big city" stuff AND a large lake.

Houston also covered well; the north suburbs are a little less flood prone, but personally I prefer the suburbs closer to the Gulf (Friendswood, Clear Lake, League City, Pearland, Kemah area) for things to do; access to downtown, galleria, medical center from this area takes roughly the same time as access from the north/west areas. Sugarland (SW) is also nice.

However, if natural beauty and outdoor activities are strong needs you should also consider places like San Marcos (one of my favorite areas in the state) and El Paso (Chihuahuan desert splendor + southern Rockies, good crime stats, great food, and close proximity to some of the most desirable areas of NM which offer several ski areas, unique natural wonders, and even better food).

#64 3 years ago

I'd assume that you'd need to get a new realtor license in any state you'd move to. Does Texas have a booming market, or is there another reason to pick Texas?

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Yes, nothing like forcing religion on kids that can't yet decide for themselves, forcing them to mindlessly recite some "patriotic" nonsense they don't understand the point of, deciding what is "real" history, and moving to the most conservative bubble possible to NOT "indoctrinate" your kids...
    It sounds like a time machine to 1940s Alabama may be your best bet.

Lol, but encouraging 8 year olds to question their sexuality is what quality public schooling should be doing....Too funny... No need talking about history(much less with any perspective) because history is either ever evolving or being wiped from the hard drive....

#66 3 years ago

I live in Clovis, CA with my 3 kids and wife. It has some of the best schools in the state (when they are open). And a great sports program. Very conservative. Low crime. Real Estate is booming too. Houses sell within a few days. 35 minutes from the mountains. 2 hours from the Beach (Cayuous). Lots of pinheads around here. However, the surrounding areas outside the central valley are becoming very liberal. I share your same views. Often thought of relocating back to Scottsdale, AZ. or check out Nashville, TN area someday. But I'm too vested in Clovis. Not going anywhere anytime soon.
    WE need to get our Governor recalled asap!

#67 3 years ago

Is it hard as an independent realtor to move to a new location with established realtors? Are they territorial or welcoming?

If you're looking to keep your Pinside name, here are 3 cities you could look into their North sides:

Caldwell
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldwell_County,_Texas

Callisburg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callisburg,_Texas

Calvert
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvert,_Texas

If keeping your Pinside username isn't important, just move to Rogan's neighborhood.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/inside-joe-rogans-new-lake-austin-estate/ss-BB19oUjH

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

This is what I am trying to figure out.... This describes every state in the country. Is California the exception?
    Reading through the post, I think the OP is basically looking for an upper-middle class, white suburb, with taxes/property values high enough to keep out everything else. You can find those everywhere. I have never been to California, maybe those places don't exist there.
    Good luck with your move!

Thing is the Coastal CA population is massive and controls the whole state. Less relief moving inland than you think (maybe some relief). Your vote doesn’t count. And same governorship. One party has full control. Once great cities turning into hellholes. Homelessness, crime and taxes skyrocketing, unchecked lawlessness, moral decay, shitty schools, liberties disappearing, economy in big trouble, businesses fleeing, residents fleeing, etc. CA used to be a paradise. Now it’s the butt of jokes. Many still like it fine. I’m not one of them. We have the means to leave. We’re leaving.

#69 3 years ago

I'm getting my family out of CA. Nearly a done deal. House goes on the market in ~2 weeks. Ready to buy elsewhere.
    Tons of members on here I trust and respect. Would love for a bunch of you to chime in here.
    Here's our situation:
    We like Idaho a lot, but it looks like we're late to the party. We're seeing $800k properties in the greater Boise area we could've bought for $600k 3-4 months ago, I kid you not. It is out of hand there, and we're not keen to get bent over for $200k due to current market insanity. So, we're pushing pause on Idaho to look at Texas.
    Our needs:
    Being a Conservative family we wish to avoid any Blue, Progressive areas (sorry, mods. had to mention it for relevance).
    No tiny towns. Wife likes having some big box grocers, Target, Costco, Starbucks, etc. No big city living due to aforementioned libs/progressives and crime. So, upscale suburb or other?
    We like the outdoors. Rivers, lakes, greenery, camping areas, scenic areas, mountains are a plus. Idaho really shines in this aspect.
    Great school system where they still say the pledge of allegiance, teach real history, and don't indoctrinate the kids
    Safety, cleanliness, nice public parks, etc
    3500-4000 sq ft w/game room and ideally a pool
    Budget:
    Probably $500k-$600k (big prop tax bill factored in)
    Texas is so big I figure this must exist there somewhere. Where should we be looking?

Good for you! Smart move on your part. Outside of Nashville you can get a 4000 sq ft custom brand new house for $600k all day long. Look up MT. juliet TN. VERY CONSERVATIVE

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Lol, but encouraging 8 year olds to question their sexuality is what quality public schooling should be doing

Yeah, outside of weird alt-right imaginations you know this isn't a real thing...right?

#71 3 years ago

One party has full control.

Are you looking for a state where you can bank on the other party having full control? If so take a close look at more recent voting trends and demographics in Texas, it may be trending toward a purple future that you wouldn’t enjoy. If you can tolerate a purple state so long as your hometown is red that gives you a lot more flexibility. But if statewide politics are a bigger concern than local politics, you might be better off picking a more rural red state where it’s harder to imagine much changing politically in the next 10-20 years.

#72 3 years ago

If you want the amenities, you are going to have to live in an area that is blue, purple, or moving purple. There is plenty of super red real estate to be had in the in-between places, but you'll be driving two hours+ to Target. We have a ton of land up in Red River County/Bowie County area in my family, that is in as red of an area politically as it gets. Of course it's also dirt-ass poor, methed up and there isn't a store that isn't a metal building and basically a $1 store within 100 miles. Enjoy.

Go to Idaho or Oklahoma. You'll be happier.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Well aside from that first issue you mention, the Austin area comes to mind. But as you mention Texas is BIG, Austin 'area' is BIG

By definition; any urban area is going to be blue. This isn't different in Texas.
    Austin, Houston, and DFW area is blue. Just a fact.
    If I were op; I'd stay away from these areas.

That said; Waco or SA might be more purple. and Property values are going to be lower. That said; it's going to feel a lot less like CA.
    If employment isn't an issue - then those areas might be good.

#74 3 years ago

Montgomery County is often noted as the most conservative county in Texas. The Woodlands that I mentioned earlier is part of Motco.
    But again, very high humidity from pretty much March - October. So if you like outdoor activities, prepare to sweat.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Are you looking for a state where you can bank on the other party having full control? If so take a close look at more recent voting trends and demographics in Texas, it may be trending toward a purple future that you wouldn’t enjoy. If you can tolerate a purple state so long as your hometown is red that gives you a lot more flexibility. But if statewide politics are a bigger concern than local politics, you might be better off picking a more rural red state where it’s harder to imagine much changing politically in the next 10-20 years.

I know the big cities are turning TX purple. Not ideal. Partly why ID was first choice. But TX still much more tolerable and better run than CA.

#76 3 years ago

Texas also has NO state income tax...

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Texas also has NO state income tax...

Yeah, but we get buttfucked pretty good on proerty taxes. It all comes out in the wash.

#78 3 years ago

I know the big cities are turning TX purple. Not ideal. Partly why ID was first choice. But TX still much more tolerable and better run than CA.

Isn't purple what we should strive for as a country? There is no possible way for all of us to see eye to eye on everything, but with purple, doesn't that show that we are listening to both sides equally?

I know, politics, but that seems to be a large driving factor for you. I think it is going to be tough to find a state that is just completely shifted one direction, and yet offer all of the amenities you are looking for.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Yeah, but we get buttfucked pretty good on proerty taxes. It all comes out in the wash.

Exactly.... Or do like other states do, and call stuff fees (vehicles inspection, emissions, etc.) so you can tell everyone you aren't charging taxes.

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from BobSacamano:Is it hard as an independent realtor to move to a new location with established realtors? Are they territorial or welcoming?

Don't foresee this as an issue. I'll be a new licensee with no clients, at first, but 18 years of experience gives an advantage. The skills are transferable. Will just have to work my tail off for a while.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

not really. Do you realize what the tax rates are in CA and NY? TX is still WAY better off.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Oh sure, government is gonna get it one way or another!

#83 3 years ago

An apartment just opened up above me if you want to move in!

We could use some diversity around here.

#84 3 years ago

You should move to Sioux Falls, SD. Sure it's cold as hell and there's no mountains or trees. But we have no income tax and the town is basically recession proof. And the real estate market is bonkers here.
    You and your sweet pin collection are more than welcome to move here

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

You should move to Sioux Falls, SD. Sure it's cold as hell and there's no mountains or trees. But we have no income tax and the town is basically recession proof. And the real estate market is bonkers here.
    You and your sweet pin collection are more than welcome to move here

The falls are awesome and I do have a little crush on your Governor.

Not sure we're ready for that kind of cold though, especially my Filipino wife.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

What about Saudi Arabia? They are very conservative there.

I gave you a thumbs up for the good laugh.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Nobody is forcing religion in schools. C'mon. OP is just looking for a better place to raise family. You cannot disagree that history is being rewritten these days or at least not taught. There is also no denying some schools and communities are better than others. I moved to Kingwood from the other side of Houston 12 years ago and glad I did. Much better life here and schools way better. Hard to sum up Texas. East side is very wooded and wet while west side dry. Middle is a nice mix and hilly. Cities are mostly liberal while outside areas and rural more conservative. Economy in the state is strong with lots of large corporations moving here. Downside is traffic in the large cities and weather. I could do without the humidity and storms here near the gulf.

Rewritten or corrected? That is the real question. For example, I do know that growing up in the suburbs of Richmond, VA in the 1970’s and 1980’s that the history taught to us of why the Civil War was fought was taught incorrectly. This incorrect history was biased based on, I presume, what a religious person would consider a deadly sin in pride.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Same thing in Florida. No state income tax usually means higher property and sales taxes.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Yeah, outside of weird alt-right imaginations you know this isn't a real thing...right?

I knew you couldn't leave it alone. You will not get moderated anyway. You must not have watched the town hall with Joe, he and the mother(?) of one such 8 year old were slobbering all over each other.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

I knew you couldn't leave it alone. You will not get moderated anyway. You must not have watched the town hall with Joe, he and the mother(?) of one such 8 year old were slobbering all over each other.

Leave what alone? I don't follow. You tuned into the "fake news" to watch someone you hate do things you hate? This thread is wild ha.

#91 3 years ago

You see, I just got moderated. You are safe and sound. You are in the dream world, as the town hall last week, was in no way, shape or form a "fake news" item. You obviously did not watch it.

#92 3 years ago

OP, do you have a license to carry? Our mosquitos get a little large. They are the 'unofficial' state bird.

#93 3 years ago

My house has volume ceilings which require 2 hvac units to heat/cool...I cringe

When people who have normal ceilings come over and wonder how I change my light bulbs...I cringe

Come over and tell me “nice house”....I cringe

What lives up there in those volume ceilings? My ego?

My wife’s autonomous car...I cringe

Feeling like I need a commando secret room Arsenal just to go grocery shopping...cringe

Down on myself that I didn’t hit buy on that GNR CE in my basket at the JJP store only because it’s apparently worth double now...more cringe

Materialism as basically everyone’s way of life....yeah

Take her to Maui
    Get a small place for sleeping n eating
    Grow a garden year round...never wear pants again
    Drive an old Toyota truck
    Morning yoga on the beach
    It’s blue...so what...nobody cares...people are nice...drink tap water...breathe life...Die old!

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Wild to me in 2020 people can have views as long as they conform with everyone else’s views. Just doesn’t make sense to me but it is the new norm.

#95 3 years ago

NorCal, don’t look back. Just keep moving forward and out of that state.
    You’ll love the results.

When I moved from the greater Boston area to Signal Mountain Tennessee I couldn’t believe what happened to my life.
    •my stress went way the fuck down.
    •my family time skyrocketed as you’re not working so hard to pay the higher cost of living.
    •my mailbox didn’t light up like a LED’d pin with insane bills from every direction like state income tax, excise tax, crazy waster/sewer bills, car inspectional nonsense, tolls, high local property tax, gas taxes or high insurance rates. My mailbox just went silent, just completely silent.
    •my wife dropped her hours at work.
    •our frick’n trash got taken away twice(!) a week.
    •they’d send some type of “cat in the hat” creation that would suck the leaves and grass clippings if we just left them by the curb.
    •the schools were nationally ranked blue ribbon winners.
    •and most importantly, with all the bullshit demands imposed on me gone, I recommitted with Christ in a town where going to church on Sundays wasn’t good enough. Wednesdays were also mandatory

Overall we were seen as constituents and treated with grace and respect by the local government and not treated as targets for greedy politicians with inventive taxing schemes.

Whether you’re red or blue leaning, both sides are making the same move you are.
    You’re just being honest about it and the remainers who are destined to play that empty game forever will hate you for it.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

When I moved from the greater Boston area to Signal Mountain Tennessee I couldn’t believe what happened to my life.

Your pinside location is still listed as Marblehead MA - quit living in the past!

#97 3 years ago

To the handful of people that haven't yet recognized this isn't a thread about pinball -- it's actually a thread about an important matter in real life -- relocation:

If you are still pining to dump your subjective criticism or trolling remarks here -- please save it for an actual pinball thread that is dying to hear from you -- this isn't a NIB opinion thread. He didn't post here to be judged, scrutinized, or lectured. Think of this more like a restoration thread. Restoration threads don't welcome drama, trolling or criticism -- save your "everybody has an Ahole and a fking opinion" compulsions for the NIB threads, thanks.

Thank you to many socially-well-adapted people who actually had the courtesy and empathy to read and understand the title and give specific advice about Texas or Idaho (or TN).

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-from-the-texans/page/2?hl=mettle64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.