(Topic ID: 69671)

Need advice from fellow Star Wars nerds....

By Sharon

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Sharon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pics 4-2013 013.JPG
1-2.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
image-86.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sharon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I've been decorating my game room to match my pins; over the Doctor Who pin, I have one of those solar system models with a tiny little tardis near Earth. For Star Wars, I would like to have ships re-enacting the Death Star battle. I thought that putting a half sphere Death Star over the spotlight that's right over the game might be helpful to cut glare, as well as look pretty cool. Unless it would overheat?

So I need a Death Star, some tie fighters and X-wings...what else? Man it's been a long time since I've seen that - in theaters the day it came out.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Which Death Star battle.
Star Wars or Jedi.
Jedi had a lot more ships going after the "under construction" Death Star like A-Wings, B-Wings, X-Wings, Y-Wings, and of course the Falcon.

I'd prefer the Star Wars battle, but in the end, it comes down to which one I can find more ships for.

Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Don't forget an entire fleet of Star Destroyers and a few Calamari Cruisers.
I strongly recommend micro machines replica. They are small, light and very detailed.

Yeah, that's what was looking at, actually.

Quoted from Darth_Chris:

By the way I'm no nerds. Real hockey and sports fan who likes to party hard. I just hate Star Trek so much and since Star Wars is Star Trek kryptonite...

LOL Okay, nerds and anti Star Trekkers.

Quoted from sixpakmopar:

You might want to check out the danglers made by Applause. They are quite cheap. there are 11 or so different ones.

I don't think I had heard of those before, thanks.

So, I have a few options for a Death Star. I have a ceiling spot light that's right over the Star Wars pin, so I want to cover that with a half-sphere of a Death Star. That will stop most of the reflection from the light as well as become part of the decoration. I can take the one out of my Star Wars pin and make a mold and copy of it, but it will likely be kind of heavy. I can buy one of those ceiling star map projectors from WalMart that's shaped like a Death Star (actually cheapest I can find so far) and take the top half off it....any other ideas? Ideally, it should be light weight. A half-sphere lamp shade I could paint would even work I think.

2 weeks later
#9 10 years ago

I've got a Death Star - plastic light globe from 1000bulbs, painted grey with black detailing, and a bazillion tiny holes drilled in it.

15 X-wings.
30 tie fighters.
1 Falcon.
A few splody ships too; painted some batting material and pulled it apart some.

All the ships are hung with fine clear crafting line - looks like thin fishing line, and stuck to the ceiling with cut up bits of command strips. Holes drilled in the ships with a 1/32 bit and a couple plastic epoxy drops in the hole, then stick the hanging line through that.

All in all, the black detailing could have been a little better, I could add more ships later, but I'm happy with it. Not planned that way, but the Death Star seems to be aiming at the Earth in the planet ceiling thing a ways over.

1.jpg1.jpg
1-2.jpg1-2.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg3.jpg

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

That's really cool, love the explosions. It's too late now, but, in case you ever want to do Endor or something, Fantasy Flight Games' X-Wing models are magnitudes better looking than the things you used here. The detail on them is remarkable for a retail product.
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=174&esem=2&esum=224

Quoted from Gov:

Ya I was going to suggest the Fantasy Flight mini's as well. They are very detailed and a good size. Price reflects that though.

Yeah, I looked at those, really nice looking; I've seen sets on eBay where they have custom foam cases for all the ships. But buying 47 of them would have been really expensive. And I would have cringed to have to drill holes in them for the hanging line. Micro Machines; not so much.

The guy I got the tie fighters from said he had 5,000 of them. I don't think I've ever had 5,000 of anything lol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sharon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-from-fellow-star-wars-nerds?tu=Sharon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.