8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by terryduthu
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I know very little when it comes to SS vs EM, machine reliability/maintenance/etc.... I am really looking for a great machine to keep in my mancave that my friends and I can battle for a top score. I really like the look/playfield of Xenon, but I also like the DE Star Wars pin and several of the late 70's Williams pins. I know a lot of people ask this same question on the forums, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get the best bang for my buck, but I definitely don't mind paying a little extra for features/lights/etc. I could prob figure out minor repairs/etc.. but I would rather avoid any project pins, or anything that is a known money hole. Like I said, any advice would be great. Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

Like you, I think EM machines are quite nice to look at. Xenon is probably my favorite backglass ever. BUT, I don't think they could hold my interest like a 90s SS machine. Your mancave buds might get a little bored with an EM (IMO). Just get a SS that doesn't have crazy toys... something like TZ or STTNG might be a bad idea. I have little knowledge of pin repair but have managed to keep up with any issues that have popped up on my T2.

#3 8 years ago

SS machines are easier to fix if you get one cheaper with problems. A fully working cared for EM rarely breaks down.

If you do get an EM pick a one or two player as they are much simpler than a four player.

I like the 70's Williams SS machines and have been inside them more than any other system. Stay far away from anything system 1 like Gottlieb for your first machine. (My Gottlieb Haunted House is a constant maintenance nightmare).

All IMHO.

P.S. Several of the 70's Williams SS machines have a switch on the sound board that will make it sound like an old EM if you want. My Phoenix was that way.

#4 8 years ago

I'd get an SS, not an EM.

EM's are tricky to repair, and they also get boring quickly due to the rather shallow ruleset. Also, you can't adjust the volume on them, which could be a problem if you're using it in proximity to sleeping people. A friend of mine recently sold his EM machine, because his new baby didn't like the noise.

SS games are more catchy and engaging. What era of solid state game you'd want though depends on whether you want a deep ruleset (later games have deeper rulesets, and hence probably better in terms of long-term replay value) and how much you're willing to pay (later games are usually more expensive). Avoid games with complicated toys on them (those tend to have more reliability problems).

#5 8 years ago

I feel that an SS dot matrix game is the way to go for a first pin. There are lots to choose from but I would avoid buying ones made by Gottlieb or Sega as a first pin, only because it is trickier to get people to fix them.
    I would just wait and see what comes along and check then out what people think my looking at its ratings on Pinside. If it is in the top 200 and you like what people are saying it is probably going to be OK.
    SW is a good choice although Xenon is awesome to play and a good looker so would definitely impress your friends.
    Good luck!

#6 8 years ago

thanks for the advice. With all that said, what would be a good price to pay for a DE SW pin? Anyone got one?

#8 8 years ago

^^^^ Would be a great first pin.

#9 8 years ago

You'll definitely want a DMD game for your first pin (because the self-diagnostics can help point you in the right direction sometimes).

But you'll definitely want to learn how to repair the machine yourself (or you could end up paying as much on repairs as you did for the machine).

Try and buy one from a local hobbyist who's extremely thorough and has gone through the game with a fine tooth comb.

If you can't fine one locally, it's worth it to pay the shipping and get one from a forum seller with a great rep who's already gone through the game.

Neil

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from terryduthu:

what would be a good price to pay for a DE SW pin?

Sorry I can't help you there as I'm in the UK.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

You'll definitely want a DMD game for your first pin (because the self-diagnostics can help point you in the right direction sometimes).

I would have to say yes and no on this. If you jump right into the new technology you lose the base on how Pins work. IMHO.
    Obviously you can get what you want but usually you can also get an older SS alot cheaper than a newer DMD Pin. My two cents anyway.

#12 8 years ago

Sorry for my lack of knowledge....but DMD is Dot Matrix Display?....shot in the dark

You guys rock by the way, been on several other forums and the people here are very responsive and super supportive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.95
    $ 109.99
    $ 16.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 60.00
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 21.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 214.99
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,999.99
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 269.00
    $ 10.00
    $ 499.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside