Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 333 posts
  • 111 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 65 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 8.48.47 PM (resized).png
    Screenshot_20220912-230607_Video Player (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220912-230425_Video Player (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220912-230459_Video Player (resized).jpg
    73 (resized).jpg
    giphy (1).gif
    mouse-spotlight-sml (resized).jpg
    yuup.gif
    s-l400-1 (resized).jpg
    2bdca3c137fb1909eafdaae4124125c0.jpg
    37q6ch (resized).jpg
    20200916_195156 (resized).jpg
    magic_hate_ball (resized).jpg
    output_MCqaSl.gif
    ecc56d375663fe37eac35ccd59b3c9355ebfb2ec.gif
    i-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together (resized).jpg
    There are 333 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Another "brother" has been introduced into the transaction!

Twin brother from Nigeria!

#202 3 years ago
    2bdca3c137fb1909eafdaae4124125c0.jpg2bdca3c137fb1909eafdaae4124125c0.jpg
    #203 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

Sorry I did not forget about you guys or providing an update. Running into another small complication here, will report back soon.

I would have to assume that "small complication" involves not getting your refund?

#204 3 years ago

Latest claim is, refund has been wired to my bank account as of Wednesday this week. Of course I was provided no proof of receipt of the transaction and zero response when I demanded one. And since transfers can take a few days to clear, especially international transfers (if one ever occurred), nothing has shown up in my account yet and I don't know if its just because it's another total line of BS, or it's still going thru the process of clearing. Derek states the bank advised him to only send $500 to ensure the bank account information is correct, as anything greater, he would have to "sign off on it that they have no responsibility if misdirected" (his words). He then states that once I confirm the $500 hit my account, he will send the remainder of the payment plus interest...

And here we still are.

#205 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

Latest claim is, refund has been wired to my bank account as of Wednesday this week. Of course I was provided no proof of receipt of the transaction and zero response when I demanded one. And since transfers can take a few days to clear, especially international transfers (if one ever occurred), nothing has shown up in my account yet and I don't know if its just because it's another total line of BS, or it's still going thru the process of clearing. Derek states the bank advised him to only send $500 to ensure the bank account information is correct, as anything greater, he would have to "sign off on it that they have no responsibility if misdirected" (his words). He then states that once I confirm the $500 hit my account, he will send the remainder of the payment plus interest...
    And here we still are.

A Wednesday wire that's not in your account by now...

Given clear account information for where to wire money to and needing to "test" it first...

No receipt for the transfer...

Sounds like this guy's world is a pretty interesting place to live in. Can't wait to hear how interest calculations work in his world.

#206 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

And here we still are.

Having done a TON of international bank wires, this is total BS. You are given a confirmation number when the wire is made, and they assume you know what you're talking about with the information you're giving them by double-checking the SWIFT code, acccount numbers and account name to make sure they are all as expected.

This is a total line of BS. Utterly.

#207 3 years ago

Total bs, there’s no ‘send $500 to make sure it’s correct” liability taken by the bank, cone’on. And no transaction ID / receipt —complete bull. The only thing I don’t understand is why continue to lead you on? Just send it or say it ain’t happening and get served. What point is there to lead u on another few days or week??

#208 3 years ago

It certainly sounds like a hairbrained delay tactic to me.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Can't wait to hear how interest calculations work in his world.

Yep. With the rise of negative interest rates, the seller is probably figuring that the buyer actually owes him MORE money.

Serve this sucker already.

#210 3 years ago

My firm processes wire transfers all the time. Domestic are same day. As a policy, we do not do international transfers. Call the attorney, pay the attorney and let the attorney deal with it.

#211 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

And here we still are.

This guy is just stringing you along.

#212 3 years ago

Fingers crossed it will post to your account on Monday. I deal with International ACH and wire payments daily. Within 48 hours your bank should be able to see if there is a payment pending/processing to your account. I hope for a good resolution for you!

#213 3 years ago

I have done wires all over the world and you would have it by now. He is full of crap

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Having done a TON of international bank wires, this is total BS. You are given a confirmation number when the wire is made, and they assume you know what you're talking about with the information you're giving them by double-checking the SWIFT code, acccount numbers and account name to make sure they are all as expected.
    This is a total line of BS. Utterly.

He pointed out that when he got to the bank, they stated I forgot to give him the International routing number or "ISBN" (which is true, I didn't know it was a thing) and that the bank was going to send him back to me to get it but instead researched it themselves, then suggested to send the $500 first to ensure the information was correct. Does that make any sense?

Quoted from Mbecker:

The only thing I don’t understand is why continue to lead you on? Just send it or say it ain’t happening and get served. What point is there to lead u on another few days or week??

Right? Why all the elaborate stories? None of it's going to change the outcome if it's all BS.

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

He pointed out that when he got to the bank, they stated I forgot to give him the International routing number or "ISBN" (which is true, I didn't know it was a thing) and that the bank was going to send him back to me to get it but instead researched it themselves, then suggested to send the $500 first to ensure the information was correct. Does that make any sense?

Right? Why all the elaborate stories? None of it's going to change the outcome if it's all BS.

#216 3 years ago

Blatantly lying with a lawyer involved, otherwise known as "digging your own grave".

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

forgot to give him the International routing number or "ISBN"

If he is indeed stringing you along, he should at least get his acronyms right. ISBN is a categorization system used by libraries to sort and sequence books. IBAN is the system used for international wires.

There is no reason an international wire should take more than 24 hours to cycle. We do them all the time at work all over the globe and everything is same day or next. I hope this turns out well but it still smells of rot, sorry.

#218 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

Nothing this guy says is true. It's been over 2 years and excuse after excuse. I can't pay because I'm not working....I can't pay because I'm going back to work....the pin is in the mail..blah blah blah

This guy is a master at stringing people along in the hopes they just gut frustrated and give up. Serve the fucker already!!

PS - I wire transfer to the US and it's there less than 24 hours later. I would never send two payments because I would then be paying two bank fees. And wire transfer fees aren't cheap.

#219 3 years ago

I hate to say it, but this behavior by the seller is likely a sign of mental illness. A con-man would simply have taken your money and run, ignoring your refund or delivery requests etc. Here, he appears to be creating an elaborate story to inflict pain on you. And with each turn of events, he adds to the story... trying to raise your hopes and then dashing them to watch you suffer. Over and over. This is a sign of mental illness in my opinion.

Doesn’t justify anything, just sharing my observation for consideration based on what I read, with my opinion on what it means.

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Nothing this guy says is true. It's been over 2 years and excuse after excuse. I can't pay because I'm not working....I can't pay because I'm going back to work....the pin is in the mail..blah blah blah
    This guy is a master at stringing people along in the hopes they just gut frustrated and give up. Serve the fucker already!!
    PS - I wire transfer to the US and it's there less than 24 hours later. I would never send two payments because I would then be paying two bank fees. And wire transfer fees aren't cheap.

I did a bank wire to a pin retailer in Vancouver. It was almost an instant transaction. My pin was shipped the next day.

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I hate to say it, but this behavior by the seller is likely a sign of mental illness.

I have a couple thoughts related to your diagnosis. The first thought is so what? It doesn’t change the appropriate course of action for the OP or his attorney. If you’re arguing that the con-artist deserves sympathy and understanding I’ll counter that the OP needs to be made whole by the con-artist first and then the con-artist should get whatever mental treatment his medical professional proscribes.

The second thought is what specific mental illness is it and what are your qualifications to make such a diagnosis via the (mostly) second hand information available?

#222 3 years ago

Minty one owner huo tfle decepticon, colordmd,(lcd)mirrorblades, upgraded speakers and sub, speaker lights with inserts, shaker, titan rubber, and NO wrinkles in the decals available from trusted seller in pa if that refund ever comes through. Good luck...scammers suck!

#223 3 years ago

From dealing with Diablo in the past regarding wire transfers that never seemed to happen I would say that this sounds like the same load of crap he was often pulling. In my case he kept saying that he would buy a game of mine so I was not out any money. There were about 15 emails or so exchanged regarding the wire transfer difficulty.

I think that he is just doing the same thing he always was. Get that lawyer back in here because he just messing around with you.

I honestly think he had a screw loose. The screw has since fallen out and is nowhere to be seen.

#224 3 years ago

Bull Shit, you suck Martin.

#225 3 years ago

Get him legally tangled up—you’ll be amazed at how quickly he finds the cash. Start making this expensive for him

#226 3 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Serve the fucker already!!

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

#227 3 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

Get him legally tangled up—you’ll be amazed at how quickly he finds the cash. Start making this expensive for him

Could be the equivalent of trying to get blood from a turnip.

#228 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

He pointed out that when he got to the bank, they stated I forgot to give him the International routing number or "ISBN"

Well, that would be true if you were buying a book, but ISBN has nothing to do with wire transfers.

And even without your bank IBAN/SWIFT codes, the bank can look it up if you have the address of the bank it's going to and the account number and account holder. Nothing he has said is a legitimate reason for a delay or only sending $500 instead of the whole amount.

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, that would be true if you were buying a book, but ISBN has nothing to do with wire transfers.
    And even without your bank IBAN/SWIFT codes, the bank can look it up if you have the address of the bank it's going to and the account number and account holder. Nothing he has said is a legitimate reason for a delay or only sending $500 instead of the whole amount.

..or maybe it was the ISBN of a book!

s-l400-1 (resized).jpgs-l400-1 (resized).jpg
    #230 3 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

..or maybe it was the ISBN of a book![quoted image]

Haha, I saw this in my alerts without the picture and was sure it would be the Stern 30 years of pinball kickstarter book.

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Haha, I saw this in my alerts without the picture and was sure it would be the Stern 30 years of pinball kickstarter book.

You may have to wait a bit more for that book, they may want to document Deeproot games! Lol

#232 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

I sincerely hope you are done with this bullshit and you serve this bastard to be in court. Hell , file criminal charges too.

#233 3 years ago

So this post has been very informative and eye opening. I'm new to pinball and never sold a machine. I see people recommending cash on the glass. Is there anything wrong with accepting paypal friends & family? Is there a way for a buyer to get his money back if he decides to con me?

#235 3 years ago

The next post I wanna read is that full money has been returned (and then some) OR that he's been served!!

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

The next post I wanna read is that full money has been returned (and then some) OR that he's been served!!

yuup.gifyuup.gif
    #237 3 years ago

Hello everyone. So you guessed it! We’ve made absolutely zero progress with this guy…

Legal action will continue to move forward.

That said, need to share with you some enlightening information.

It’s been brought to my attention that “Derek Gardener” is (likely) Ivo Martin Jebsen. I imagine some of our Canadian friends from out that way are familiar with that name as I understand he tries to be a part of the pinball community there. For those not in the know, here’s some links to help describe what kind of wonderful character we’re dealing with here:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/man-faces-charges-in-internet-scam-1.717264

https://user.xmission.com/~daina/blacklist.html#IvoJebsen

https://rec.games.video.arcade.collecting.narkive.com/KhK6bGtB/anyone-in-calgary-in-this-group

https://www.amvic.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/21-Nov-2019-Directors-Order-JEBSEN-Ivo-Martin-1.pdf

Known crook and scam artist will summarize it nicely.

I understand Ivo, who goes by Martin, sold an LE Decepticon Transformers with no legs and missing coin box last year on craigslist (or maybe it was Kijiji?) to someone else in Canada North of Calgary. The story goes that his wife Lisa was divorcing him, and took the legs and coinbox out of spite, and he needed to sell it for the cash. What a coincidence!!!!

It just so happens when I call his number, several, several times over the past couple years, I get Lisa’s voicemail. Weird that Derek’s wife is a Lisa too huh?!

You will also note in a couple of those links, other aliases used by Martin include the last name Gartner and Cory Gardner. Sounds strangely familiar to Derek’s last name…

And finally, from someone whose had dealings with Martin before, they were able to precisely describe how Derek writes an email, with little spacing, no capitalization and not much for punctuation.

As mentioned before, I understand he’s known throughout that community, and if anyone has any other inside information they would like to share to make mine and Winston’s pursuit a little easier, would appreciate a response or PM. Your information, identity and involvement will be kept confidential as requested.

BTW, thank you pingod for seeing this and spelling it out earlier. I’m foolish for not catching your original post that would probably have clued us in earlier, but that name didn’t mean anything to me at the time.

#238 3 years ago

WOW! quite the character and right in our own backyard. Looks like he has been charged many times but still keeps at it.
    Give it to him Tuttle.

#239 3 years ago

just read this whole thing what a scum glad his ass is getting served good luck OP

#240 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

Hello everyone. So you guessed it! We’ve made absolutely zero progress with this guy…

Shocker.

Get him @tuttle with @pingods help.

#242 3 years ago
    Quoted from GTO:Deleted post

What happens within your inside voice between your ears; is fine.
    Generally tho; verbalizing it in written form - too much.

#243 3 years ago

Hope you bring all of his scamming to a screeching halt.
    -Mike

#244 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

That said, need to share with you some enlightening information.
    It’s been brought to my attention that “Derek Gardener” is (likely) Ivo Martin Jebsen. I imagine some of our Canadian friends from out that way are familiar with that name as I understand he tries to be a part of the pinball community there. For those not in the know, here’s some links to help describe what kind of wonderful character we’re dealing with here:
    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/man-faces-charges-in-internet-scam-1.717264
    https://user.xmission.com/~daina/blacklist.html#IvoJebsen
    https://rec.games.video.arcade.collecting.narkive.com/KhK6bGtB/anyone-in-calgary-in-this-group
    https://www.amvic.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/21-Nov-2019-Directors-Order-JEBSEN-Ivo-Martin-1.pdf
    Known crook and scam artist will summarize it nicely.
    I understand Ivo, who goes by Martin, sold an LE Decepticon Transformers with no legs and missing coin box last year on craigslist (or maybe it was Kijiji?) to someone else in Canada North of Calgary. The story goes that his wife Lisa was divorcing him, and took the legs and coinbox out of spite, and he needed to sell it for the cash. What a coincidence!!!!
    It just so happens when I call his number, several, several times over the past couple years, I get Lisa’s voicemail. Weird that Derek’s wife is a Lisa too huh?!
    You will also note in a couple of those links, other aliases used by Martin include the last name Gartner and Cory Gardner. Sounds strangely familiar to Derek’s last name…
    And finally, from someone whose had dealings with Martin before, they were able to precisely describe how Derek writes an email, with little spacing, no capitalization and not much for punctuation.
    As mentioned before, I understand he’s known throughout that community, and if anyone has any other inside information they would like to share to make mine and Winston’s pursuit a little easier, would appreciate a response or PM. Your information, identity and involvement will be kept confidential as requested.
    BTW, thank you pingod for seeing this and spelling it out earlier. I’m foolish for not catching your original post that would probably have clued us in earlier, but that name didn’t mean anything to me at the time.

Unfortunately, I believe it's very easy to come to conclusion that there NEVER was a machine.

#245 3 years ago

There's a machine, I just never got it. I have video of him playing it and saying "For my friend Chris in NY". Or he used someone else's in someone's house I suppose, but recall a Transformers was listed and sold without legs and coinbox. Would be quite coincidental.

In better news, the initial $500 he sent showed up in my account. Maybe there's hope yet?

#246 3 years ago

Baby steps.
    Hopefully turn into leaps soon !

#247 3 years ago

I hope its a sign of future good news but sending only $500 feels sleazy and unsettling to me.

#248 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

There's a machine, I just never got it. I have video of him playing it and saying "For my friend Chris in NY". Or he used someone else's in someone's house I suppose, but recall a Transformers was listed and sold without legs and coinbox. Would be quite coincidental.
    In better news, the initial $500 he sent showed up in my account. Maybe there's hope yet?

But when was it sent? The bank can tell you when it was initiated.

#249 3 years ago
    Quoted from jusflyinby:

Since we all know he is reading this thread on a daily basis, my guess would be the $500 was sent to pacify you from any legal action. Interesting the money shows up as soon as you reveal who he really is.

On the other hand, I would almost be afraid where the $500 came from, or better yet, who it came from? If this dude is really the con man it appears he is, did someone wake up $500 short in their bank account this morning?

#250 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

On the other hand, I would almost be afraid where the $500 came from, or better yet, who it came from? If this dude is really the con man it appears he is, did someone wake up $500 short in their bank account this morning?

He just got a 'deposit' from another mark.

There are 333 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-for-failed-transaction-amp-money-kept-by-member-on-this-site/page/5?hl=pinostalgia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.