2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm purging the demons from a Skateball. Lots of lamps out on this one (bulbs are ok). I've replaced some SCR that tested as bad on the lamp board, and repinned J1, J2, & J4. Still a dozen or so lamps out and they stay that way when I swap lamp board with Flash Gordon, so I expect bad sockets for most(will try jumpering to a test socket shortly). But...

I have a couple lamps that work in attract mode and not in lamp test mode. What's up with that? Are test modes sometimes unreliable? Are lamps also controlled by something on the MPU? Bad chip? I don't know what to make of this.

Thanks!

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I have seen this but don't have a real explanation. My theory is bleed through when everything is energized.
An easy way to test the socket is this: use a jumper wire from the tab on a questionable socket to the tab of a working socket. If the bulb lights the socket is good. You can do this in attract to eliminate the previous issue.
I usually take the manual page and circle the problem lamps (once I've eliminated bad sockets) so I can see if there is any commonality between them i.e. same decoder ic, same connector.
When you repinned did that include replacing or reflowing the header pins? Those break alot due to the downward force of the harness.

I also reflowed all the headers on the lamp board. I'll do what you say - once I've replaced all the sockets that test as dead, then I'll look for commonality in what's left. Maybe there's an IC that needs replacing as well, or some common component. Thanks!

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

The MPU tells the lamp board to flash all the lamps in test mode, just like it controls them the rest of the time. So some of the lamps work during play and attract, but not during test, right? All lamps should flash in test but sometimes there is a lamp or two that might be left out of attract, but you've got the opposite issue.

Correct, I've got a couple that show up in attract, but not in test. Which I find confusing and wonder if that points to a problem that I should deal with. Or if it's just "one of those things" to shrug at and ignore.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Are the ones not flashing in test ones you've already repaired the SCR for? Sometimes I have SCRs that test fine but still do weird stuff like this

Nope. Different ones. Maybe it's just a mystery of how the current spreads out across the circuit in test mode. I doubt this will be solved.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 10.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-different-behavior-in-lamp-test-mode-vs-attract-mode?tu=EvanDickson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.