Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by iceman44
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Hello all, recently I just came back from a around-the-country road trip visiting every state, and as many National Parks as we possibly could. We went from my home state of New Jersey, through the west coast to Helena, Montana (Where I lived for the summer), then made our way back the long way--going west to Washington, down the coast to LA, over through Las Vegas, to NM, up to Denver, down again to Louisiana and New Orleans, to Florida Everglades, then back up the east coast.

I've been a longtime Sprint customer, but I've been VERY unhappy with their service throughout the trip (and also just in general). My fiancé, who has Verizon, had decent LTE service through much of the country, where I would either be roaming, or had no service at all. Granted, I would generally have excellent service within the cities, but out on the road, where we would want to listen to Amazon music and use data for maps, I'd have nothing to work with. We would've used her phone, but I'm the one with unlimited data, and she didn't want to eat up her shared data.

Anyway, my contract is closing, and I'd REALLY like to switch to another carrier. I've been really looking at T-mobile, but I want a carrier that will be strong in more rural areas, and I'm a little worried that their rural service might be lacking.

What do you guys use? What do you recommend? If you have T-Mobile, how does it fare out in more rural areas? My only real qualifier is that I need unlimited data--otherwise I'd be switching to Verizon yesterday.

Thanks,
    Max

#2 7 years ago

I highly recommend page plus. They piggyback on the Verizon network, so exact same service as Verizon, but cheaper. Been with them for about 2 years and very satisfied. Google Fi is also really intriguing to me. It switches automatically to whatever carrier has the best signal wherever you are. Price looks about the same as Page Plus too, which is good. And they also refund you for whatever portion or your data plan you dont use each month! Remember, the big three carriers are using a public resource, so despite owning all the towers, they don't own the frequencies and have to rent out space to the sub-carriers like Page Plus. With no equipment or marketing costs, they get you the same service a lot cheaper.

#3 7 years ago

I have Verizon. I hate them. Saying that, I've been with them for longer than I can remember, and paying out the ass for one simple fact - it works. Their customer service sucks, their employees suck - they're rude as hell, their prices are egregious, but - it works. That's the only reason I'm still with them, and the reason why I'll stay. In an emergency I don't want to see that I have no service, or miss a call/text. My wife has Sprint - pays considerably less, but her phone has no reception half the time.

YMMV - if you want to know you'll have the best reception - everyone I know with Verizon has had service in times Sprint and AT&T haven't, but it's never, ever been the opposite. If you want lower prices, better customer service and knowledgeable, friendly staff, go to someone else. If you want to know your phone will work, every time you want or need it to - can't go wrong with Verizon.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

If you want to know your phone will work, every time you want or need it to - can't go wrong with Verizon.

Oh for sure. When we blew out a tire in the middle of a horrifyingly desolate highway in Arizona, we called AAA using my fiancé's phone. Saved our skins for sure, since my paltry Sprint network was stuck on "No Service" for at least an hour before we stopped.

Granted, I'm not looking for absolute wall-to-wall coverage, I just want a network better than Sprint in more rural areas with unlimited data. (Unlimited data is not something I can give up).

#5 7 years ago

they all suck....

#6 7 years ago

You should be able to view coverage maps for each serivce. That might help give you an idea of which service might be the most useful in your area.

#7 7 years ago

I'm on grandfathered ATT LTE UNLIMITED on my iPhone and iPad, but if they ever pull a Verizon and try to kick me off I'm going T-Mobile 100%

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

I have Verizon. I've been with them for longer than I can remember, and paying out the ass for one simple fact - it works.

If you want lower prices......go to someone else. If you want to know your phone will work, every time you want or need it to - can't go wrong with Verizon.

+1. As accurate as it gets.

Particularly in the tri-state area

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You should be able to view coverage maps for each serivce. That might help give you an idea of which service might be the most useful in your area.

I've done this so many times, but from my experience (and I'm sure many others), I've noticed that coverage maps aren't exactly as accurate as they claim.

For example, as a sprint customer, my zip code has access to their LTE plus network with strong signal, but realistically, I get relatively poor service with the occasional dropped call. But I appreciate your input, Mr. Flow!

Quoted from tacshose:

I'm going T-Mobile 100%

I'm leaning towards this option, honestly. They have competitive rates with universal roaming (which is nice for travelers). Does anyone with T-mobile have any thoughts or comments about their overall service?

#10 7 years ago

It's 2016....all networks are great!!!

Seriously though I have had ATT forever and overall pleased. Seldom do I not have service. Have always gotten great deals on phones/plans. Every company has gimmicks. Just wish they would be transparent in cost of service. Cheaper is not always better. My GF did the bait and switch with Sprint. I told her not to but she wanted a new phone and she can't stand Sprint. Good luck on your search.

#11 7 years ago

Get Verizon or ATT

Buy the stock and have the 5% dividend pay for your service

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-choosing-new-cell-phone-carrier and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.