Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Baiter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 7 years ago

My son is graduating in May with a Chemical Engineering degree. He's starting the job application process but I'm useless for offering any advice (I did this 1000 years ago and as a programmer). He's using the college career counselors but I'm not getting a warm/fuzzy.

The thing that is very striking to me is that in September he's applied to two dozen+ companies and has not so much as seen a rejection letter. I'm not sure if I should be happy about the 'no rejection' thing or not; are they just shredding his info? Are they holding it until Q1 when budget money is in? Are they waiting until he graduates? Any of these seem bizarre to me.

Some apps are on-line... should he send in paper additionally? Does it get him noticed or piss them off because he's going against the system?

Are there placement services that make sense for entry level positions? Back in the day recruiters/headhunters did not want to help me find a job because the placement $$ carrot was not worth their time.

I'm really looking for ANY advice in this quest. The stress of getting through a final semester of college is bad enough (and this last semester is going to be the most stressful).

TIA,
faz

#2 7 years ago

I have found personally that I had to call jobs to check in on resume status otherwise I would never hear back. It's how I got my last two jobs. It's a way to show you interested in the job and am eager for a response.

I'm a mechanical/automation engineer so it's a similar crowd.

My job (med device) has put up the req's for next year. Budgets approved so they would be actively looking around now for q1 start in 2017.

#3 7 years ago

It could have to do with the time of year being the holiday season. Could also be slow in any particular industry, or being pre/post election and companies waiting to see what happens next.

You should consider applying through a tech services job placement contractor agency. Chances are they'll have a finger on the pulse of the job market. Usually companies will hire contractors for a certain period, like 3-12 months, then if it works out they make an offer to hire direct.

Good luck in the search

#4 7 years ago

Many companies (unfortunately) do not send out rejection letters anymore. So a lot of applicants are often left wondering if their Resume was even received. Also, HR departments, not the department managers or supervisors, will often do the initial Resume screenings. Never assume that the HR folks know what the job entails, ensure that your cover letter and Resume have all of the same buzzwords or prerequisites that were specified when the job was posted, otherwise it won't get past the HR screening. I hope this helps!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

The thing that is very striking to me is that in September he's applied to two dozen+ companies and has not so much as seen a rejection letter.

I'm literally in the same boat.

I've been chalking it up to the holidays as well. I've been reading that this time of year is usually the worst time to look for jobs, as most people are in holiday mode, and too busy at christmas parties and drinking spiked eggnog.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback about rejection letters... that was my biggest concern.

He's doing callbacks starting on Monday... he just finished finals for this term

faz

#7 7 years ago

It's all in who you know. Since you are in a different field, are there any Chem. Engineers where you work or with your customer base that you could ask for help with? Otherwise, instructors at Universities can usually help good students get their foot in the door somewhere....

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

It's all in who you know. Since you are in a different field, are there any Chem. Engineers where you work or with your customer base that you could ask for help with? Otherwise, instructors at Universities can usually help good students get their foot in the door somewhere....

I was just going to post this exact thing. This is why an internship can help immeasurably - you already know who you might be able to work for. Networking is key, even in engineering jobs - I assume Chemical-E is the same. Is he friendly with any of his counselors? he should ask them for help.

I just happened to see this Steve Jobs interview the other day, and he outlined how he got started, and he literally just started picking up the phone and calling and asking questions. If you're around a lot, whether from an internship or a community networking event, or a friend of a friend...

#9 7 years ago

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/458646800

Pretty straightforward with confirmation emails once submitted.

#10 7 years ago

As an EE... on both sides of the hiring process...
All I say is it's not standard to hear a thing unless you are invited in for an interview.
If that happens; then generally they will at least send an email to reject. Prior to that; you won't get any feedback.

#12 7 years ago

Let him figure it out...or make room in your basement. He is an adult now.

#13 7 years ago

If I were to guess a good part of the issue may be that most companies don't hire 5+ months in advance, it's just too far in the future for most corporate planning... he should see a lot more traction as he gets closer to graduating.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-chem-e-son-applying-for-job and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.