Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 11.43.59 PM (resized).png
you-dont-say-5ab1f3 (resized).jpg
DCC70F82-F2C6-4B18-8220-6F5708041F6B.gif
maverick3 (resized).jpg
maverick1 (resized).jpg
maverick2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 1 year ago

A working Maverick 2 years ago was a sub-$2000 pin. $3000 and it's dead? No thanks, someone has been trolling Ebay for pricing.

I'd not pay more than $1000 for this example. You might get lucky and its just a burned connector or it's a smoked CPU with battery damage. You will drop $300 to $400 for a replacement board and that is just the start depending on what else you find.

$1300 to $1400 is a reasonable offer.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

If you are local then consider going over there and showing her the leaking batteries on the MPU.

I would not waste my time. Why provide diagnostic help for nothing which very well could backfire in your face.

Simply state the price is unreasonable for a dead machine, make her an offer based on the most likely scenario they are commonly known for and here is my number. And wait.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

To be clear I would have shown her it in the context of why I was offering X dollars for the game. It takes approximately 2 minutes to get to the backbox so if he wants the game at a fair price then I would so as I recommend.
I'll admit, however, that I don't try to buy pins like this. The risk/reward of my time wasted just doesn't work for my life (work schedule, family, etc). So I don't have a lot of experience trying to talk someone down from $3k when the game is trashed. I imagine such an effort is hit or miss.

Anything you point out to her "might fix it" she will just tell the next buyer "it's worth X and only needs Y for it to work" because some pinball guy told me so. You explaining it may have other issues or need to be shopped will just sail overhead.

Simply state the price is unreasonable for a dead machine, make her an offer and here is my number.

Trust me, been in your shoes. People who think they have a 3k goldmine are rarely budged aside from time, when they finally realize they are wrong or pressed for time/money.

I have a hard rule now never poke at the dead machine while on site, had one seller raise the price $1000 because I spotted what was wrong with it.

Never again. Wrap, load and leave.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

She’s probably full of shit. Good chance you hear from her in a week or so.

Exactly so.

Oldest trick in the book.

Simply reply, you have my offer... cash.

The word "cash" is magic on some people, it will prey on her mind. You can always counter you are going to look at another pin in a few days... only have cash for one though.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from OTCHU:

ACT II : she text me this morning to say the guy will not show up so I am welcome to come get it ..... I said, let me take a look this afternoon and if I take it that will be for sure no more than $1500 maybe less depend of it ..... she said ok no problem !! So we will see guys !!!

Remember; just look, say nothing, pay, wrap and leave.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from OTCHU:

Fuses all good ... main board doesn't boot. No sound. No Dmd. 12v 5v -12v there ... playfied is ok .. need a deep clean .. most Rubber are falling apart... I offer her $1200. She did not take it

You did diag onsite?

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from OTCHU:

I think she used all the informations i gave her during the diagnostic ...

you-dont-say-5ab1f3 (resized).jpgyou-dont-say-5ab1f3 (resized).jpg
#68 1 year ago

Regarding my advice above.

So a guy I made a flat offer to months ago.. reached out this morning to see if the offer was still good

Patience will take you far. Make your offer and leave. You win some, you lose some.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 259.00
2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-buying-non-working-pinball?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.