(Topic ID: 113640)

Need a pic of Stern Meteor sound cables please.

By garman411

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by garman411
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1419807632456770600104.jpg
20141227_101310.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hello everyone,
If someone would be so kind to take a picture of your sound cables on a stern meteor so I can see if I'm hooking mine up wrong. My mpu board will not boot when the cables are hooked up, but boots fine when there disconnected.
I did read that it could be caused by the cables being hooked up wrong or its my cables itself. Just want to verify how they should be hooked up. I read somewhere, I think on Google there should be 2 pins on both th sound board and mpu that should be exposed?

Thanks Chris

#2 9 years ago

only pins 1-32 are used. Leave 33 and 34 unplugged on both the sound board and MPU.

These ribbon cables can rip at the ends. You can build yourself a new connector with wire, crimp supplies, and an hour or so of time.

There are ICs on the input signals of the sound board. If one of these has a short to ground, it will lock up the MPU. I have seen that before more than once. Exhaust connector issues first as that is more likely though.

#3 9 years ago

My connector connector for pins 17 to 32 has a key in it at pin 29 so I can't leave 33 and 34 unplugged. Can I just use regular playfield wire to make a new connector?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from garman411:

My connector connector for pins 17 to 32 has a key in it at pin 29 so I can't leave 33 and 34 unplugged. Can I just use regular playfield wire to make a new connector?

Don't worry about the key in the header pins as the ribbon cables aren't keyed. The left two pins in the MPU and sound board are left unconnected. Just make sure the right pin on the MPU is connected to the right pin on the sound board. The ribbon cable will have a slight twist.

#5 9 years ago

How do you check for a bad IC?

#6 9 years ago

There's a new Alltek board in this machine and my connector is resting in the mpu clear button sw3. Are these the wrong cables for this game?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#7 9 years ago

On the sound board, diode test every pin on the input plug. Red lead on ground of your sound board. Black lead touch every pin and note each one that is connected to ground or has a non standard voltage drop. THen refrences the schematic and look to see if anything is grounded it shouldnt be. An address or data line should not be shorted to ground and if they are, it will lock up your MPU.

An open line on your connector could also confuse the MPU and lock it up. Check for continuity across the connector or replace it.

#8 9 years ago

Here ya go. I had some difficulty getting it sorted out too. Glad i took some photos first lol

20141227_101310.jpg20141227_101310.jpg 1419807632456770600104.jpg1419807632456770600104.jpg
4 weeks later
#9 9 years ago

Ok so I finally around to fixing the ribbon cables and the mpu board was still locked up, so I changed the 6840 chip on the sound board and the mpu now boots with the cables connected. But I don't have any sound. I tested the speaker and that works and I replaced the volume pot and that didn't have any effect.

The game has a Allteck MPU board in it. Where should I look first to figure out why I have no sound?

Thanks guys Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 3.00
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-a-pic-of-stern-meteor-sound-cables-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.