IMG_0673 (resized).JPG
IMG_1540 (resized).JPG
IMG_1538 (resized).JPG
IMG_1530 (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPG
Ramp (resized).JPG
R_Ramp_Left (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I'm troubleshooting a friend's Road Kings. It turns out Switch 54, the "Right Ramp 2 Exit (Left)" switch, is completely missing. Wiring was tucked up behind the playfield. Here's what I'm looking at:
Switch 54, Where Are You?Switch 54, Where Are You?

Looks like there's a mount for a microswitch (odd since the game uses leaf switches 99% of the time)... Would love to see a photo of what it's supposed to look like so I can try to rebuild it. Maybe make it better than it was. Better. Faster. Stronger!

Cheers

#2 7 years ago

Hi yonkiman. Nice of you to help a friend! I took some pics of my RK. I couldn't find where to buy the part that's missing, but I took some pics of that, too. I have more pics if these don't help. If it helps, the switch arm is 1-1/8" to the first bend. Then 1/2", then back down 1/4", then 1/4" straight again. However, this switch only has 2 posts. The only ones I saw all have 3 posts.
There's a pic of the ramp. As long as the ramp is out, you should take a look at the end where the ball drains to the left kicker. That end gets beat up pretty good. I used A&B epoxy putty and then sanded it down. It makes for some good fortification for a $99 part.
I hope this helps!! Let me know if you need any more pics of the wiring and switches.
I included a couple pics of my machine when I got it and when I was finished. (I just wanted to show my work)
Check it out!!

Ramp (resized).JPGRamp (resized).JPG
IMG_1529 (resized).JPGIMG_1529 (resized).JPG
IMG_1530 (resized).JPGIMG_1530 (resized).JPG
IMG_1538 (resized).JPGIMG_1538 (resized).JPG
IMG_1540 (resized).JPGIMG_1540 (resized).JPG

IMG_0673 (resized).JPGIMG_0673 (resized).JPG

IMG_0440 (resized).JPGIMG_0440 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Nomad662013:

However, this switch only has 2 posts. The only ones I saw all have 3 posts.

Number of posts doesn't matter. Note the picture with the diode and white wire on the right. Green wire goes to NO ( normally open ) white wire goes to black end of diode and silver band end of diode goes to C ( Common ). If the replacement switch has three lugs, don't use NC ( normally closed ) . Since there are only two lugs in that picture, it is wired a little different than the usual micro switch wiring.

LTG : )

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks Nomad and Lloyd! Just what I needed, and I even happen to have the correct (though currently unbent) switch sitting around - really appreciate the detailed pics and dimensions!

#6 7 years ago

Thanks again - switch is in and working fine!

Quoted from Nomad662013:

There's a pic of the ramp. As long as the ramp is out, you should take a look at the end where the ball drains to the left kicker. That end gets beat up pretty good. I used A&B epoxy putty and then sanded it down. It makes for some good fortification for a $99 part.

Ramp actually looked pretty good...but it had a metal plate to stop the ball before it hits the end of the ramp - does your RK have the same piece?
Ramp (resized).JPGRamp (resized).JPG

I hope this helps!! Let me know if you need any more pics of the wiring and switches.

Actually I do have one more question. This strip of foam popped out of the back of the playfield/end of the cabinet when I was lifting the playfield. I hadn't noticed it before, so I'm not sure where it goes. It's got an indentation that looks like the glass slides into it, but that would put it inside the chrome strip at the top of the cab, and I don't know how it could have popped out if it had been in there. Where does it go?
back (resized).JPGback (resized).JPG

I included a couple pics of my machine when I got it and when I was finished. (I just wanted to show my work)
Check it out!!

Wow!!!! Nice work! I'm good electrically, OK mechanically, but you don't want me within 200 feet of a paintbrush. Wish I had your chops!

EDIT: Never mind about the foam strip - it goes on the bottom lip of the cab and forms a seal between the top of the back of the playfield and the cabinet lip.

#7 7 years ago

No sweat. Glad to help! I wouldn't have tried fixing the playfield, but I found this machine for $250. It turned out to be GREAT therapy.
I'll have to check on that metal plate. I don't recall seeing that when I took it off.
Thanks!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-a-photo-of-a-williams-road-kings-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.