(Topic ID: 157492)

Need a Lockwhenlit nvram tutorial

By wantdataeast

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wantdataeast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I just got in a nvram from pinball life, searched the internet an no tutorial that I can find.

The chip might be great but I think it is pretty freakin sad that the Lockwhenlit folks did not take the time to produce a few minute Youtube installation video.

Any help appreciated.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

What game is it going in?
    RussM

Addams Family and Jurassic Park. I am installing one in each.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

OK, JP will be easy, the Data East v3 games (as well as Sega/Stern Whitestar) have socketed RAM, so the old chip will just come out and the new chip goes in.
    TAF is a lot harder; the RAM chip is soldered directly to the board; it needs some very delicate soldering work; the WPC MPU board work is not for beginners.
    RussM

So to be clear, on the JP I just swap out the chip...remove the batteries and that is it? No blocking diodes or whatever?

On the TAF I am in the process of un installing the old RAM chip to replace it with a IC socket. I have done it before. But is that it on that one as well? just a straight swap out?

#7 8 years ago

My review of this product is as follows.... If you need to desolder your old ram to install a new socket, to put this NVRAM in then DO NOT BUY IT, or any Nvram for that matter, stick with installing external battery off the board on the inside of the back box. No slight on this brand... it is just not worth the effort and trouble.

I know how to solder / desolder perfectly well I have high end solder equipment, I even had a new Hakko FR300 desoldering tool (which died immediately after removed the ram... died first day I used it BTW.)

This was an Addams Family install and now my CPU board is F'ed with what visually appears to be a flawless socket install. I am honest pissed at myself for F'ing this board up on a unnecessary modification. Live and learn.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Send me the board, I'll fix it, no cost.
    Very sorry you had issues.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

Brother, I will take you up on that. Thank you very much. Is your address the one with the 6102 PO box on your website?

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Would be interested in a report back (with pictures) to what was actually wrong. No proving blame but more of a teaching tool for the others.

Yes I agree

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Yes, but please send it first thing Monday by Priority Mail. I'm getting ready for another service and show trip, so need to get it ASAP.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

Thank you for your above and beyond customer service.... but the problem is fixed...see next post

#22 8 years ago

Okay here is what happened. After I installed the socket for the NVRam. I made a mistake and I thought I would reflow solder at the connections and change out the cap at C31, while the board was out and convenient to do all at once. The cap install was no problem, however when I reflowed solder at the interconnect ribbon cable between the CPU board and the Powerdriver board, I caused a solder bridge to ground at one of the contacts.

This cause “the thing” to pop in and out continuously. And it blew a 5a fuse at F111 on the Power Driver board (this was causing the game to reset over and over)

The dead DMD was caused by the ribbon cable at J60 (top right thin ribbon cable) on the Dot Matrix card. I had accidentally reversed it a week prior (I had tested another DMD in the machine a week before and connected the ribbon cable wrong then, and did not fire up the machine before pulling the CPU board for the NVRAM install, so I never noticed the DMD was out before I even began the install.)

The installation of the NVRAM socket went flawlessly and looked like a pro job (I have installed many sockets); which was what was so confusing. But that flawless socket install was marred by several rookie mistakes: flipped ribbon cable to DMD, solder bridge at connector, not noticing the blown fuse afterwards, not doing the CPU board in stages.

Going ahead and doing a “quick reflow” of solder “while the board is out and convenient” is a mistake.

I should have:
    -removed ram… installed socket…installed NVRAM and reinstalled board in machine and tested

-then reflowed solder at a connector reinstalled board in machine and tested

-then reflowed solder at next connector reinstalled board in machine and tested… and so on.

-replaced the cap reinstalled board in machine and tested.

Regard the anypin NVRAM from lockwhenlit.com works great, and was worth the effort. However if you are inexperience with chip removal and socket install I do suggest having an experienced tech doing it. If your game has its own socket that holds your ram, you will be okay installing it yourself.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wantdataeast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-a-lockwhenlit-nvram-tutorial?tu=wantdataeast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.