You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flipper board (resized).jpg
captured ball (resized).jpg
upper flipper (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

So, I made a little trade, and ended up with a very nice Maverick. The playfield is near perfect, the cabinet itself has a few bumps and bruises, but is in good shape. It did not come with a manual, so I need to print it out or order one.

There are a couple of things that either aren't working right, or I don't understand how they are supposed to work, and I'd like some input from people more knowledgable about this machine that I am...

1) The left kicker (the Queen) isn't working. The switches check out ok, so I'm looking for other ideas for how to troubleshoot this. I may be able to figure this one out myself once I have a manual and schematic.

2) The left lane kickback-- is that supposed to work any time "21" is lit? If so, it's working intermittently. It *does* work siometime, but not always when the light is list. I don't know how this one is supposed to work, so I'm open to any ideas.

3) The game is telling me to "shoot captive ball" sometimes. I don't see a captive ball-- what is this and how do I activate it?

4) the top right filpper-- is it suppose to stay up when the flipper button is depressed? It flips momentarily then drops.

Thanks in advance...

#2 6 years ago

The captive ball is behind the 3rd target up in the center of the boat called the Lauren Bell. You will see it once the drop targets are lowered in front of the boat. The other issues seem as if they are mechanical or connectivity issues. I know there is a downloadable manual/schematics available at International pinball database.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

The captive ball is behind the 3rd target up in the center of the boat called the Lauren Bell. You will see it once the drop targets are lowered in front of the boat. The other issues seem as if they are mechanical or connectivity issues. I know there is a downloadable manual/schematics available at International pinball database.

Hmmm... I don't see the captive ball. I wonder if there's a ball missing from that spot.

I'll take a look at the EOS switch on that upper flipper-- I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be a "feature".

Is the kickback supposed to be working any time "21" is lit? If so, I'll need to tinker with the outlane switch. If not, how does one know if the kickback is active or not?

I'll print the manual out today... hopefully it will lead me to what I need for the Queen.

#4 6 years ago

The kickback fires only when 21 is lit in the outlane. To relight the kickback, you must shoot the VUK and win at blackjack.
Make sure neither of the contacts on the slingshot are touching. I think Sega games will disable switches that are closed when the game is powered on. You may need to stretch the rubber on that sling or adjust the leaf switches.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

The kickback fires only when 21 is lit in the outlane. To relight the kickback, you must shoot the VUK and win at blackjack.
Make sure neither of the contacts on the slingshot are touching. I think Sega games will disable switches that are closed when the game is powered on. You may need to stretch the rubber on that sling or adjust the leaf switches.

I believe it is also active when Super Laser Kicker is awarded during Lauren Belle mode

#6 6 years ago

Couple of photos... I found the captured ball. I have no idea how I'm supposed to hit that target-- a ball can't between those posts.

Regarding the upper flipper-- there is no EOS switch. How is it supposed to hold?

upper flipper (resized).jpgupper flipper (resized).jpg

captured ball (resized).jpgcaptured ball (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

. I have no idea how I'm supposed to hit that target--

The Maverick I owned did not have rubber on either post that held the captive ball. I had more luck clipping that ball from the lower right flipper.

Quoted from drsfmd:

there is no EOS switch. How is it supposed to hold?

There is a board inside the cabinet that controls the solid state flippers. Possibly a connection issue or a board problem.

#8 6 years ago

Yeah, remove those post rubbers.
Also looks like you need to lower the drop targets as, even then they are down, they are above the playfield and will interfere with you hitting the captive ball.

But don't lower too far or the ball could get stuck, reference this service bulletin:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/Stern%20Service%20Bulletins/sb/sb71.pdf

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Yeah, remove those post rubbers.

That's cheating

#10 6 years ago

Thanks guys!

So both the queen slingshot and the laser kick had the same problem-- the wires were GLUED on rather than soldered(!!!). Once I noticed that, a bit of solder and both problems are fixed.

I'll take those rubbers off the posts for the captive ball, and I'll need to look for that flipper board.

#11 6 years ago

Captive ball is fixed.

The upper flipper is not. I pulled the board to get a closer look, and discovered some really amateurish repair work. Not sure if this one is salvagable or not... if not I guess I'll be in the market for a new board. Rottendog, OEM, or... ?

#12 6 years ago

I would go with an OEM if you can find one with a return guarantee, even used. It will be a lot cheaper. If not, I wouldn't be afraid to use a Rottendog. They stand behind their product, it retails around $80.

#13 6 years ago

flipper board (resized).jpgflipper board (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

That's cheating

I call it "scoring enhancement"

#15 6 years ago

Is there any way to adjust the angle of the paddle wheel? About 1/3 of the balls get stuck in the paddle wheel and it goes around for a second lap. I was thinking of making a shim that's fatter in the back than in the front to get the ball rolling forward a little more quickly as it enters the wireform at the back of the ship. Anyone done a mod like that?

1 week later
#16 6 years ago

For anyone following, a new rottendog board cured the flipper problem. I may take a crack at fixing the original when I find some time, but with how many traces are lifted and how badly the previous repairs were done, I'm not hopeful.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-a-little-maverick-help-owners-please-chime-in and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.