22EE3054-4B24-4E47-B1A4-791A03B5F782 (resized).jpeg
42E4CDAB-0AF8-4C5D-A6C7-F1A6DBE4C29A (resized).jpeg
Cue Tease Score Reel reset 2 (resized).jpg
F3882711-1017-4C3F-8C0A-B739BC916149 (resized).jpeg
0Cue-Tease-Work-03 (resized).jpg
Cue Tease Score Reel reset (resized).jpg
0Cue-Tease-pinside-pic-Work-03 (resized).jpg
Cue Tease Game Over relay (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ejacques.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago

As the person who sold you this....all I am going to say is "who did the restoration...cause it's amazing!"

Now I'll read the rest

Quoted from drsfmd:

I recently picked up a Bally Cue Tease. I did some quick work of getting it running at that time before I pulled the playfield to send it out for restoration (aside: pics below... it came out really gorgeous). I got it back last weekend, and began the process of reassembly. Fired it up, and the score motor just kept running and one of the coils under the reset stack started to get hot and the coil wrapper smoked a bit.
After that, I went through everything I can think of, and I actually got it to start a game, all switches scored, etc... It counted the balls, and the switch in the trough correctly registered-- and after the last ball, the score motor kept running and would not go to game over. I have not been able to get it to start again.
I found this old thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1964-startup-sequence -- which gives the sequence below for startup. Given that Cue Tease is of similar vintage and uses the same "Gottlieb style" score motor, I'd imagine that my start up sequence is similar. I'm much more familiar with troubleshooting the later games that used the vertical score motor ("Williams style").
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start up sequence:
-Coin is inserted into the game. The coin relay will energize. It will stay energized through its own hold-in switch and a score motor switch. If the credit button is pressed (instead of a coin being inserted) and there are credits, the credit relay will be energized which energizes the coin relay.
-The coin relay will energize the lock relay (this turns the general illumination on). The lock relay will stay energized through its own hold-in switch and a delay relay switch.
-The coin relay will energize the reset relay, through a game over relay switch (if your game won't start, try cleaning the contacts on the game over relay; a very common Bally problem).
-The score motor will operate. This will energize the score reset relay(s). The score reset relay(s) will attempt to clear the score reels to zero. This is done by operating the score motor. Each turn of the score motor will operate the reset relay once, which in turns moves a score reel one position, until the score reel(s) are at zero. If the score motor continues to run when a game is started, there's a good chance the zero position switch on the score reel(s) is dirty or mis-adjusted.
- The coin relay, through the score motor, will advance the total play meter.
- The reset relay, through the score motor, will reset the stepper units (zero the ball count and player units).
- The coin relay, through the score motor, will decrement the credit unit.
- The coin relay, through the score motor, will energize the game over latch relay coil.
- The coin relay, through the score motor, will energize the 100,000 relay latch coil(s) (if the game supports scores greater than 99,999).
- If the outhole switch is closed (single ball games) or the ball trough switches are closed (multi-ball games), a ball is released to the shooter lane through the outhole relay (single ball game) or ball release relay (multi-ball game) and the score motor.
- On multi-player games, the credit button may be pushed again to add a player. This time the coin relay will not energize the reset relay. Instead it will (through the score motor) advance the total play meter, decrement the credit unit, and advance the coin unit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On my game there are a couple of things happening that may give us clues...
If there are credits on the credit unit when the game is turned on (note: not pushing the start button-- as soon as the game is connected to power), the game lights up and immediately begins to decrement the credit unit. It continues to try to do this even after the credit unit has reached zero.
The reset bank coil does not ever activate.
The ball release keeps cycling in time with the credit unit - so it appears to be trying to start.
The score reels don't zero out most of the time (though they do occasionally). Yes, I did check to make sure that the switches weren't grounded against the housing.
The playfield switches and flippers are all active in this state, and do score points, lighted pops switch from one set to the other when hit, spinners are response, etc -- so I think I'm making it through at least most of the startup sequence, and the score motor isn't finding it's "home" point...
In the area of 8E on the schematic, it references a "merc tilt". I assume this is a mercury switch, but I cannot find one anywhere in the game. I assume that this, and the games played counter have both been removed.
Is the "Game Over" relay referenced in the sequence above the latching relay in the reset bank?
Lastly, I assume this is like Bally games of later vintage where the tile switch on the coin door should be CLOSED and all of the other tilt switches should be OPEN. The schematic indicates this, and it's the state the game was in during the one game that it did start.
A good schematic can be found here: https://www.ipdb.org/files/612/Bally_1963_Cue_Tease_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf
I'll take a closer look at the game over relay-- but I'm open to any other suggestions that you might have...[quoted image]

1 month later
#59 4 years ago

Glad to hear you were able to chase down all the Gremlins! I'm glad it went to someone who loves Ted Zale games!

Quoted from drsfmd:

Back up and running. The reset relay unlatching coil is weak... but at least I know what it is. Played a dozen games today, and it’s working great. Hitting the swinging gates is an incredibly satisfying shot.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ejacques.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-a-little-help-getting-a-bally-cue-tease-to-start?tu=ejacques and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.