Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by ejacques
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

cue tease (resized).jpg
IMG_0948 (resized).jpg
score motor (resized).jpg
Cue Tease Bank Reset (resized).jpg
A8E378C3-F9D5-4BEE-A53F-39EC614F9437 (resized).jpeg
72E26765-484B-468B-B4DF-D18DA20F6C50 (resized).jpeg
Cue Tease Score Motor (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
22EE3054-4B24-4E47-B1A4-791A03B5F782 (resized).jpeg
42E4CDAB-0AF8-4C5D-A6C7-F1A6DBE4C29A (resized).jpeg
Cue Tease Score Reel reset 2 (resized).jpg
F3882711-1017-4C3F-8C0A-B739BC916149 (resized).jpeg
0Cue-Tease-Work-03 (resized).jpg
Cue Tease Score Reel reset (resized).jpg
0Cue-Tease-pinside-pic-Work-03 (resized).jpg
Cue Tease Game Over relay (resized).jpg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 months ago

Let's go back to the score motor for a moment. I took the legend from the schematic and turned it sideways-- it helps me wrap my head around what should be open and what should be closed. My understanding has always been that the conditions shown on the schematic are when the game has been started, it's ready to play, and there is no score yet.

score motor (resized).jpg

Quoted from MarkG:

- pushing the Replay button (if there's credit), or dropping a coin should trip the Start Trip relay
<snip>
If your Trip Relay bank isn't resetting your Score Motor is probably running because the Start Trip relay switch is closed.

You might be on to something here. I've been working on this assuming that the relay was supposed to unlatch. Instead, are you referring to the switch on the right at the top of the middle photo? If so, that would explain why my credit button doesn't do anything! Would that also explain the difference between in response between the two coin switches (they are unmarked, and the escutcheons are missing from the lock bar, so I'm not sure which is .10 and which is .25-- I'll have to see if I can figure that out by the wire colors this evening). If we've been chasing our tails over that, I'm going to be pretty upset with myself for not figuring that out earlier! Now to figure out where that switch actually *is*. There's a lot going on in this circuit... any thoughts on how to best troubleshoot?

cue tease (resized).jpg

The last photo is something I found last night in with the original schematic. I've been using the IPDB one, because my original is pretty well mouse-eaten. This document may or may not be helpful, but at least it tells us what each of the score motor switches does without having to decipher the schematic each time. IMG_0948 (resized).jpg

#52 4 months ago

Any idea what “single pole double throw” means? That’s how the start relay is listed. I’m familiar with the MB switches... but this is labeled differently.

#53 4 months ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

My understanding has always been that the conditions shown on the schematic are when the game has been started, it's ready to play, and there is no score yet.
[quoted image]

That's unlikely the case here because there are both normally open and normally closed switches in series with the Score Motor. If that were the case then the Score Motor would be running once the ball is served up before any points have been scored.

Rather than trying to keep track of normally open or normally closed switches it may be easier to think about when the Score Motor needs to run. All but one of the switches that can power the Score Motor are normally open. That just means that the Score Motor runs *when* the switch closes. So for example the Score Motor runs *when* the 50 pt relay, or the 25 cent relay or the Start Trip relay fire.

One switch, on the Reset Trip relay, is normally closed. That means that the Score Motor runs *until* that switch opens. In this case that means that the Score Motor runs *until* the Reset Trip relay trips. (Note also that trip relays are often referred to as latched and tripped rather than latched and unlatched.)

It seems that you have trouble getting the Start Trip relay to trip with the coin chutes or replay button. Let's treat that as a separate problem and skip over it for now. I still don't have a clear picture of what's not working with the reset though. If you manually trip the Start Trip relay with a wooden dowel or something else that's non conductive, does the game reset properly? If not what doesn't it do? Keep in mind that after resetting the score reels some games need to see the ball trip over a ball trough or similar switch to supply power to the flippers and scoring switches. So reset might not finish on its own if the playfield is up unless you make the game think there are balls ready to play.

Quoted from drsfmd:

Any idea what “single pole double throw” means?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch#Contact_terminology

#54 4 months ago

I’ll be back at the machine Sunday morning, and will give you a comprehensive response then. Thanks again for sticking with me.

#55 4 months ago

I snipped out the bit about the start trip, since you said you wanted to come back to it later.

It seems that for every little bit of progress I make, different problems crop up. Until last night, I hadn't touched the machine since my last report in. I was travelling for work, and didn't have any time to play. On the plus side (?) the score motor is no longer running constantly... it seems to find a position it likes and stops, but it isn't fully going through the reset. The left coin slot causes the violent reaction at the reset bank coil as shown in the previous video. The right coin slot starts the score motor for a single revolution, but now the score reels are only resetting if I hold the coin slot switch down. The GI is only staying on for the duration of the switch being held in, then it goes off. The ball release comes on only for a moment, and allows a single ball to advance into the trough (I *think* it's supposed to let all three balls into the trough). It didn't occur to me until just now that I should trigger the drain switch and see if it cycles the ball release to let another ball go.

Quoted from MarkG:

I still don't have a clear picture of what's not working with the reset though. If you manually trip the Start Trip relay with a wooden dowel or something else that's non conductive, does the game reset properly? If not what doesn't it do? Keep in mind that after resetting the score reels some games need to see the ball trip over a ball trough or similar switch to supply power to the flippers and scoring switches. So reset might not finish on its own if the playfield is up unless you make the game think there are balls ready to play.

Manually tripping the start relay doesn't seem to change anything. With regards to the ball trough, this is one of the last Bally games with a manual ball lifter. There are switches in the trough that the balls sit on, and those switches have been cleaned, gapped, and tested.

2 weeks later
#56 3 months ago

An update... it’s alive! A fellow Pinside who will remain unnamed (unless he wants to reveal himself) came by the house today to help me. Ultimately, the problem was rooted in a flakey tilt switch, and a problem with the tilt relay. I’ve still got some small issues to sort out, but nothing I can’t handle on my own. Thank you markg and rolf_martin_062 for your help in getting me pointed in the right direction!

#57 3 months ago

Went to play again today... and it’s not working again. She’s a fickle one. I’ll take another look at it tomorrow.

#58 3 months ago

Back up and running. The reset relay unlatching coil is weak... but at least I know what it is. Played a dozen games today, and it’s working great. Hitting the swinging gates is an incredibly satisfying shot.

#59 3 months ago

Glad to hear you were able to chase down all the Gremlins! I'm glad it went to someone who loves Ted Zale games!

Quoted from drsfmd:

Back up and running. The reset relay unlatching coil is weak... but at least I know what it is. Played a dozen games today, and it’s working great. Hitting the swinging gates is an incredibly satisfying shot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
€ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Multigame
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 218.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 131.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
RPGCor
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
€ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 22.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 79.00
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Rubber/Silicone
Scandinavian Pinball
$ 137.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 25.50
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside