(Topic ID: 271553)

Need a little help from the early Bally EM hive mind...

By drsfmd

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by drsfmd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hay ride (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drsfmd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I recently picked up a quite nice (and quite rare) Hay Ride project from another pinsider. I've got it *sort of* flipping, but there's a startup issue that has me a little stumped.

With a ball in the trough, attempting to start a game leads to the score motor running and running.

With no ball in the trough, if you start a game, everything resets as it should, and all playfield switches, flippers, scoring, etc. work perfectly. As soon as the ball drops into the trough, the score motor starts running and doesn't stop.

I'm a little stumped, and welcome your thoughts. What I think is the relevant portion of the schematic is attached.

I'll note, though it's probably not relevant, that I have wedged the tilt relay closed, as I search for a replacement coil. Given that this relay is closed during game play (unless the game tilts upon which that relay releases), I don't think it makes a difference, as all I'm doing is effectively bypassing the tilt feature... but I mention it anyway, in case there's something I've overlooked.

hay ride (resized).jpghay ride (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago

It does not. I just checked the coil with my ohmmeter, and there's no reading at all. Maybe that coil is bad. Hmmm...

#5 3 years ago

The label on that coil indicates it's a "184-213". A look at the 1965 parts catalog indicates this is correct. A quick google search for an interchange turned up nothing.

My Gold Rush has the same ball eject mechanism. The coil is unlabeled, but is physically identical. That coil is 14ohms.

#6 3 years ago

GOT IT!

On the ball eject unit, the wire coming out of the coil to the coil tab was broken-- which is why I was getting no reading with the ohmmeter. I repaired the coil, and the game fired right up and kicked a ball into the shooter lane.

The game still has some issues to sort out, and I need to clean and lube the steppers... but things are moving in the right direction.

#7 3 years ago

Maybe not as entirely sorted out as I thought. I was tinkering with it at lunchtime, and about 1/2 the time when the ball drains it causes the score motor to run endlessly. It appears that it's not triggering the ball count unit. I'll have to troubleshoot that path-- there may be a dirty switch somewhere.

#8 3 years ago

Cleaned and lubed the ball count unit-- seems to be working perfectly now! Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

FWIW, the ball count unit didn't look dirty at all. The rivets had some minor tarnish (not crust, just not bright and shiny). A quick hit with a brush on the Dremel, and some superlube on the rivets, and it's working. Point is, just because it *looks* ok, don't assume that it is.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drsfmd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-a-little-help-from-the-early-bally-em-hive-mind-?tu=drsfmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.