3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by 27dnast
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best 90's DMD flashy LED Mod Party pinball”

• Cactus Canyon Continued 5 votes
      7%
    • Medieval Madness 33 votes
      43%
    • Cirqus Voltaire 12 votes
      16%
    • Big Bang Bar 7 votes
      9%
    • Attack From Mars 26 votes
      34%

(Multiple choice - 76 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

My siblings and I (23-30 y/o) are looking for a ''family pinball'' that our mother will keep and we dont know which one to pick.We need a showy one with great gameplay

#2 3 years ago

Well, I would have recommended Star Trek Pro a few months ago, but recently my kids just don't play it at all anymore. I've been trying to figure out if its the machine (theme/gameplay) or if they just don't like pinball. I think if you have younger kids (10 and under), I would buy something with a theme that is light and fun. Personally I love our Star Trek Pro, I can't get enough of it, but I play it alone. I think older kids would like it. Are you looking at NIB only?

#3 3 years ago
    #4 3 years ago

Don't get Big Bang Bar, that's for sure.

I would say absolutely it should be Attack from Mars or Cirqus Voltaire in terms of family friendly theme and awesome gameplay. You could look into Wizard of Oz as well.

#5 3 years ago

How much do you want to spend is the real question

#6 3 years ago

Medieval Madness would fit the bill. Casual players and children enjoy bashing the castle.

For family friendly themes, I was thinking of The flintstones, or WCS94.

#7 3 years ago

Flintstones is a great fun playing game, I was sceptic when some club members brought it to our pinball club, because the theme seemed doof, but it is a really fun game.

Congo is also very addictive game, a different feel than flintstones but still much to do.

#8 3 years ago

Family pinball? Like Sopranos? That's based on "family". Welcome to this thing of ours.

Go with sopranos. Since Capcom Kingpin will be to expensive.

#9 3 years ago

Depends on your family. My family leans heavy on themes, so they tend to play ones they are attracted to. Until I realized my 70 yr old mom plays AC/DC the most and then heads to LOTR. I've relied on the Pinside top 100 for guidance as to which are the best rated games, then find themes they enjoy. My family loves movies, especially sci-fi and superheros. My buddy and his family do not. To each their own... I'd go MM or AFM, based on your list, if money is not an object. Just get one new or restored, not a project, if it's for your mom.

#10 3 years ago

Get a BBB, and when I get my Rob Zombie I will trade you......I hear it has a really nice family mode.

#12 3 years ago

Monster Bash or No good Gofers are fun for the kids.

#13 3 years ago

Fewer games are more "showy" than Wizard of Oz, that's for sure. It's also as family friendly as you can get with a pinball machine, but since it's not on your list, don't worry too much about it.

That being said, it's really hard to complain about Medieval Madness, or Attack from Mars. To me, I give the edge to Medieval Madness. It's funny, flashy, and that castle bash toy is definitely a winner. It's hard not to love it.

#14 3 years ago

EBD.
    $4-10k cheaper.
    Player examples under $1k.
    Good examples can still be found at under $2k.
    Superb examples under $3k.
    Collector quality under $4k.

#15 3 years ago

On your list MM off your list Jurassic Park , kids love the Dino eating ball!

#16 3 years ago

Cirqus Voltaire tends to be a game people either hate or love and is hard to find these days and usually very pricey. MM prices have come down some and as others have said is a great theme. One word of warning there's a software version that has the F word and because of that and that I have both my own kids and others that play it, it's the one game I have on family mode. AFM has great humor and is a great game. BBB no way, much too sexual for a family game, hard to find and very, very expensive. World Cup Soccer, Flintstones, WOZ, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Fish Tales, and several others are possibilities off your lists. There's been several previous threads here asking about family pins if you want to delve into those.

#17 3 years ago

Only pin I can think of that's a family pin is Family Guy but it's not family friendly ironically.

#18 3 years ago

Had a lot of games and a lot of kids through the house all of the years. One pin clearly was the most popular by far.

Monster Bash.

2nd place is much harder to determine. But I would guess Revenge from Mars.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

Only pin I can think of that's a family pin is Family Guy but it's not family friendly ironically.

Shrek is super family friendly.

#20 3 years ago

Shrek and POTC are solid family titles and very good games with good rules.

I would take MM of the titles on your list.

#22 3 years ago

MM is the way to go.... It's the only game all my family loved and played when I used to own one.... All my other pins are absolutely despised by everyone!

#23 3 years ago

Too bad Rob Zombie's Spookshow Int'l has sold out.

#24 3 years ago

Wizard of Oz.

Unless your mom thinks that 3 grown men in costumes, that are travelling with a teenage girl seems to be 'not normal'.

Seriously go for the MM, fairly easy to re-sell.

#25 3 years ago

IMHO I would change the suggested line up a bit to include (for family) MM, MB, AFM, TAF, ToM. All which are fun, not so deep and friendly for kids to play as well.

#26 3 years ago

No clue how much you want to spend, but I find NASCAR to be a really underrated pin.

#27 3 years ago

We are gonna spend up to about 10K maybe more if its BBB (and when i talk about ''family pinball'',its about the fact that everybody will pay its share and will stay in our family for a long time)

#28 3 years ago

Oh, for that kind of cash get a Monster Bash, an Attack from Mars, or a Medieval Madness.

I'd personally get a Monster Bash, it's my favorite pin.

#29 3 years ago

Rescue 911

It has a helicopter~!

#30 3 years ago

What about White Water? It's my favorite game anyways, certainly can't go wrong with it and it's probably going to be a lot less expensive than some of the other games you're considering.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

There's this game called Addams Family, perhaps you've heard of it??

#32 3 years ago

Flintstones and wcs come to mind

#33 3 years ago

Wizard of Oz is a universally loved family theme that spans multiple generations. It's a gorgeous machine with a TON of neat features, and anybody can walk up and play it without feeling overwhelmed. My money would be on that for family get togethers for sure.

#34 3 years ago

Arg I didn't read the poll description. Medieval Madness all the way!!!!

#35 3 years ago

There are many good choices that fit your family friendly criteria. I recommend:
    1. POTC
    2. MB
    3. MM or AFM - too close to call
    5. WH2O

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

There's this game called Addams Family, perhaps you've heard of it??

Oh man such a fail on my part. What's even worse is I own an Addams Family
    Actually I think TAF would be perfect for the op ta boot.

#37 3 years ago

Monster Bash is terrific
    For $10K you could get two really good games. Maybe and IJ and TAF (would have to hunt to find them for that price but they are out there). Getaway is always a crowd pleaser too.

Have fun.

#38 3 years ago

Simpsons, Addams, Shrek, Pirates, Mario bros

#39 3 years ago

HS2 - everyone loves cars.. Or at least they should. You'll have plenty left over too... Compared to the titles on the poll.

#40 3 years ago

Mustang

#41 3 years ago

We thinking about maybe a TOTAN,the best looking pin outhere

#43 3 years ago

Really can't be the theme and play of Pirates of the Caribbean.

2 months later
    #44 3 years ago

So what did you get?

#45 3 years ago

My job is to throw this picture in as many semi-related threads as I can

image_(resized).jpg

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from VGC1612:

We are gonna spend up to about 10K maybe more if its BBB (and when i talk about ''family pinball'',its about the fact that everybody will pay its share and will stay in our family for a long time)

Wizard of Oz is a great family friendly machine...lots of gameplay there...theme for the young and old. I've had one in our home since late 2014 and it's one of my favorites.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 24.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 199.99
    $ 149.00
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 199.99
    $ 7,500.00
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 35.00
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 320.00
    £ 58.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside