(Topic ID: 154269)

Need a button protector template

By CadillacMusic

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Does anyone have a template for cutting out your own flipper button protectors? Making your own pop bumper shields from mylar is easy with a circle cutter, but I can't make a pretty looking button protector for the life of me.

#2 8 years ago

The way I do it....

Wax the surface area.

Cut a circle the correct size wanted same as you would for a pop. Align it over the hole (backing still in place) and put three small pieces of blue masking tape at the edges of the circle. Hold it @ 9:00 and put the tape @ Noon, 3, and 6. Verify that if the plastic just brushes against the tape it's centered over the hole. Peel back and fold the backing so that the 3 o'clock side has no backing and you are holding the folded side back on itself. Using care not to stick it down prematurely, align the edges with the tape then tap it down into place. First @ 3, then the other two. Check for wrinkles. Lightly press it into place from 6 to 12. Squeeze out any bubbles with the back of your fingernail. While slowly pulling away the backing, press the mylar down to prevent wrinkles or bubbles. Rub it smooth (even out the adhesive) with the back of your fingernail again.

Use a sharp exacto to trim the plastic from over the hole in the cabinet. Just run the blade perpendicular to the wood. DO NOT lean the knife toward the outside of the hole. You can cut off wood, graphics. Note there will be two or three divots in the edge of the hole in the wood. The flipper button housing has a sharp little protrusion that seats into those divots, but the plastic has made them flat. Cut the plastic the length of that divot. It's a very small cut but important to do to prevent wrinkles.

Now slide the button assembly in and gently spin it until the protrusion seats itself in the divot. While holding it firmly in place reinstall nut.

Worksgoodlastslongtime!

#3 8 years ago

OH, PS: Make the circle big enough to reach out beyond finger length while playing. If players feel that edge they will be tempted to hook a fingernail under there and pick at it.

#4 8 years ago

Oh, I never thought of just making a big circle. Had the rectangular ones in mind. That works, though. Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-a-button-protector-template and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.