Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I have an Eight ball that I just got booting again, turns out there was a mounting issue and the altek board someone had installed was shorting a couple of pins on the switch matrix return to ground. I have no history for the game, other than that several transistors on the solenoid driver board were bad, and a couple of diode on coils on the PF all led to the +43V fuses blowing all the time.

The GOOD: The game boots now, all switches test good in the switch test, all coils (except 1 pop bumper I have disconnected while waiting for more diodes) fire fine in the self test. You can play start and play a game and most everything works.

The BAD: the game likes to randomly award extra balls. Sometimes this happens as the ball drains into the outhole sometimes it happens randomly while the ball is still in play. (This seems to be independent of score, but does seem to happen more frequently on Ball 1. I have seen it happen with scores as low as 4000 and as high as 30000) Additionally, sometimes the game stops making chime noises for some switch hits. This seems to happen especially for the pop bumpers (which still activate the solenoids) and the 500 point stand up behind them. The pop bumpers do occasionally activate the chimes when hit (like they are supposed to). Further, and this just started happening, sometimes the game will drain on ball one or ball 2, and it will simply end the game and not kick out the ball. It does not play the end of game chimes, and the Tilt light does not activate (even though it does work). The ball in play count does not advance, the game just sits there (flippers still active).

So, I'm stumped about what could be causing such bizzare issues. As I alluded to previously, this game has had plenty of issues with shorts, including on the MPU board. Where do I even start looking for these problems??

#2 1 year ago

If you have all the problems fixed except the extra balls. I'd try a different MPU. Your old one may have weird issues left over from the shorting pins switch matrix thing.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Is the Alltek MPU set to the proper game?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you have all the problems fixed except the extra balls. I'd try a different MPU. Your old one may have weird issues left over from the shorting pins switch matrix thing.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. You mean an entirely new board, right? Or do you mean specifically the 68XX processor chips on the board? Convenient that alltek socketed everything!

Quoted from QuietEarp:

Is the Alltek MPU set to the proper game?

Yeah, have it set according to the dip switch chart for an Eight Ball in Freeplay mode, (1000011)

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Neemox:

You mean an entirely new board, right?

Yes, this. And sorry. Or find someone to try your board ?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes, this. And sorry. Or find someone to try your board ?

haha. OK, that's what I was afraid of, but thanks so much. I should probably have a spare board on hand anyway...

#7 1 year ago

On the MPU board, do you have dip switch 32 Off by any chance? (awards Extra Ball instead of Replay when reaching the score level awards).
And what scores have you set the three score level awards to in book-keeping mode?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

On the MPU board, do you have dip switch 32 Off by any chance? (awards Extra Ball instead of Replay when reaching the score level awards).
And what scores have you set the three score level awards to in book-keeping mode?

Switch 32 is in fact off (only switches 8 and 25 are on), and it turns out I didn;t understand the manual! Apparently extra ball (replay award) #2 was set at 4000 points, and replay award #1 was set at 24000. Thanks! This solves the extra ball question!

I assume that the sound sometimes not playing with switch hits is a completely different issue, unfortunately.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Neemox:

I assume that the sound sometimes not playing with switch hits is a completely different issue, unfortunately.

The chimes are solenoid driven, so you'll need to run the solenoid test mode. Look for any solenoinds that activate at the wrong time or don't activate at all. Let us know the findings.

Quoted from Neemox:

sometimes the game will drain on ball one or ball 2, and it will simply end the game and not kick out the ball. It does not play the end of game chimes, and the Tilt light does not activate (even though it does work). The ball in play count does not advance, the game just sits there (flippers still active).

When this happens, immediately go to switch test mode and see if the outhole switch (08) is being reported as closed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.00
$ 279.95
$ 21.00
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 279.95
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vancouver, BC
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside