13620698_10206615706899877_6700966883235131150_n_(resized).jpg
13600065_10206615707099882_828523090873413323_n_(resized).jpg
EM-1B-2001-86L_(resized).jpg
Screenshot_2116_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hi all, I just bought this game as a project and it looks as if something smashed quite hard into the insides of the backbox, destroying one or two relays and half of the match/0-9 unit along with dislodging the board the 4 relays sit on.

I'm unsure of what those two relays do and the labels are gone on that side, so any help would be appreciated so I can locate new ones and find them on the schematic so I can wire them into this machine properly. Thanks!

Otaku

Pictures will be in the next post.

#2 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Thanks Vic. I can barely make out "3rd" on the 3rd relay from the left, and two that were intact were labelled for first and second players. I find it odd that Williams used specific matching(?) relays for all four players for what I believe is scoring if I remember the label correctly when usually it's just done using a shared relay utilized through the player unit in the older games. Interesting.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeNewberry:

I think those may be latches for the 100,000 point lights. One for each player's light. Probably the safest way to keep those lights on without cooking a coil.

Ahh, I never thought of that! D'oh! Thanks!

That's probably it. It's my first game with those lights (besides 1,000 point digit light-ups, but that's like 10 years older), that explains it.

I guess I got the good end of things, talk about two relays that are the least likely to be used out of any other on any machine... player 3 and 4 100,000 lights, quite the long chain of requirements needed to utilize those, funny. Still going to fix it soon of course, cool to know I can likely proceed without them (with them disconnected) though for the time being just for testing purposes. I assume they're probably universal with other Williams games?

Quick EDIT: I think the Player 4 one might have faired okay as well, just fell off the board. I'll have to look. Player 3 is completely obliterated and missing pieces. Could probably just make my own too with ease if I don't find matching ones, but matching would be nice.

#7 7 years ago

Found it in the manual, hooray.

Screenshot_2116_(resized).pngScreenshot_2116_(resized).png

#8 7 years ago

Ordered a NOS PCB for the side of the match unit that got broken. Cool! Nice and affordable (and no stupid $20 shipping/handling charge for a tiny item), thanks Bay Area Amusements.

EM-1B-2001-86L_(resized).jpgEM-1B-2001-86L_(resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

Here is a picture of one side of the art a little more clearly. Obviously not perfect but not so bad either, I've definitely seen much worse!

Play meter reads 71,889. I found some old pinball show ads (Pinball Wizards' Convention, now merged with Pinfest) from 2003 and no later so I'm guessing that's when the previous owner bought it for his home, obviously from a retailer as there's a bunch of documents of Pinball Resource stuff and other adverts. Guessing it was enjoyed for a while more then and then it looks like it definitely has been sitting for many years (2003 may seem recent in number form but not at all, and definitely not for me! I started Kindergarten that year), and probably got physically broken during that time unless that's what stopped them from playing it.

13600065_10206615707099882_828523090873413323_n_(resized).jpg13600065_10206615707099882_828523090873413323_n_(resized).jpg

13620698_10206615706899877_6700966883235131150_n_(resized).jpg13620698_10206615706899877_6700966883235131150_n_(resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

Thanks for the advice and well wishes everybody, means a lot!

Hope to get this going when I am back in New Jersey (in PA right now) in a few days. 71,889 plays isn't as high as some others I've seen but also certainly not very low either, whatever operator had it must have taken the right precautions with it and cared for it while it was out in the world making its money.

You see that a lot though, some machines with high plays on the counter with very little wear and destroyed games that have very few plays on the counter compared to some others. Condition truly is king.

Thanks a ton again, everybody!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi Otaku SteveFury +
may I drop-in with a question - Steve, You write (post-12) "pretty familiar with Space Mission" --- my question I once wrote here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-never-ending-repair#post-3224895 (lower left corner) - a close-up picture is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-does-an-alternator-unit-do#post-3203672
Steve, does YOUR Space Mission ALSO has this unit - and "what is this unit for" ? Greetings Rolf

I tried Google and found:

"This is also present on the Alternator Unit on the main board, which switches a switch on and of with every fire of the coil."

Which makes me think it's related to that center counter possibly.

But I'm also reading it's to do with nickels, so it could count them up for 10 cents / 1 play.

There is also this in all manuals of Williams games from that era which mentions it.

5cpinside_(resized).png5cpinside_(resized).png

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeNewberry:

I think that was just a smaller version of the big alternator we were talking about in the Jubilee thread, Rolf. It converts two nickel pulses into a single dime. One thing that's interesting about it is that it looks near identical to the match unit assembly in the backbox of Space Mission, so if you needed parts to fix that you could probably rob them from the unneeded coin alternator in the body.

Also something I didn't know. Oh well, for $12 (or even more if it was needed, but it wasn't) I'd definitely rather fix it the right way and leave the other unit intact. I don't think many were still taking nickels at the time, but I guess they had to include it just to be safe.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-76-williams-space-mission-em-picturesinformation?tu=Otaku and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.