Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

If reliability, ease of restoration and easy to fix are at the top of your list, then I agree with zacaj. Williams used a lot of relays with longer switch blades that are easier to clean and adjust and stay adjusted over time. All of the relays are easy to get to and they don’t use regular slotted screws that one manufacturer used. The Williams EMs I have on route that have been properly restored are very reliable.
    Williams had some great games in the 70s. They were the first to use DC powered slingshots and pop bumpers beginning in 1972. Their pinballs are the fastest of the Big Three.
    Look at:
    OXO, Space Odyssey/ Space Mission, Grand Prix, Aztec, Fan-TasTic, Spanish Eyes, Expo, Doodle Bug (novelty), or some of the 1976-1977 pins like Rancho, Big Deal or Argosy.
    If you’ve gotta have lots of drop targets, then you would want to go with Gottlieb:
    Joker Poker, El Dorado, King Pin, Jack in the Box (similar to King Pin but with a better art package), 2001, Royal Flush and a lot of other card-themed games with drop targets.
    If you are looking for iconic games then you have to go with Bally.
    Wizard!, Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, Old Chicago, Bow and Arrow and Aladdin’s Castle. Too bad you don’t like 2” flippers. Some of Bally’s best pins were 2” mini-flipper games like Fireball, Nip-It, 4 Million B.C and Capersville.

Spot On.

I have had 50+EM pass through the game room, Williams give the fewest problems and Gottliebs the most long term though I have one Chicago Coin damn close to being the reining champ in reliability. The glass has been off once since being setup 3 years ago! I own 3 Gottlieb EM currently and they always seem to need a tweak here and there after a few weeks.

Had problems with Bally and the plastics gear binding up on the stepper units, very picky! But once sorted has been very reliable. Night Rider has been here the second longest and a crowd pleaser.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Williams don't need no stinking high tap or hot dot coils.

I high tap everything =)

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Williams are the easiest to work on and play fast and it wouldn't be too hard to come up with four including a Grand Prix as that seems to be a very popular one with modern pinball players.

Space Mission, groups of people go nuts for that one. I had a Space Odyssey (2 player) I sold to a friend, when he has a party at his place they mob the machine.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No love for Chicago Coin?

Fairly reliable but play on most are lackluster.

I have Moon Shot which is actually pretty awesome but small flipper game.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I disagree. CCM games are pretty terrible. The cam that holds the score motor disk is weak and often breaks, and the relay stacks are all made from cardboard that warps over time, and the score reels use a wiper disk plate for the 0-9 position switches. Couple that with oddball parts for drop targets, flippers, connectors (they use a molex style, not a jones plug style), and lackluster gameplay, I have a really hard time recommending Chicago Coin games to people. They just don't seem well built to me.

1) Never had a cam break
    2) Never had a problem with stacks or wipers
    3) Flippers are common parts, anyone's drop targets pre-1980 are going to be unique (I had to buy used to fix a 72 Williams, even PBR was a strike out) and only some later? titles had molex connectors. Anything before 74 or 75 will have normal jones plugs as far as I know and have seen on the games I purchased.

Two were in my lineup for some time, both were very reliable and I still have one a '69. The worst was a Gottlieb a Jungle King that would not stay in tune longer than a week and I traded it away for a Time Zone I hated the thing so bad. Other Gottliebs I have had better luck with but they tend to be the most finicky. The 4 player Gottlieb "player unit" is the most god awful fussy setup too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-4-em-for-arcade-what-brand?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.