Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0_71VQEHCXe-L._AC_SX425_ (resized).jpg
    626791D5-B3F5-4A9F-AED7-DE152B594C5A (resized).png
    8FFD0403-E3F4-452C-BDE9-782A584AF887 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200707_142744809_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200707_142801561_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200707_142717082_HDR (resized).jpg
    necco (resized).jpg
    7741A636-EE08-4440-BA34-47489717919C (resized).jpeg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I’ve been craving sweets during the lock down and these (rereleased) just arrived, a little late but I’ll take ‘em...

flavors: lemon, lime, orange, clove, cinnamon, wintergreen, licorice and chocolate.

Yay or nay?

7741A636-EE08-4440-BA34-47489717919C (resized).jpeg7741A636-EE08-4440-BA34-47489717919C (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

I remember when these got yanked off the market and some of my co-workers made a mad dash. They brought some in for everyone to try.

They’re disgusting. Chalky, dry, brittle, not good at all. It’s like eating a Tums mixed with school chalk.

But, man, if you like ‘em, go for it!

#3 3 years ago

I do like them especially the clove flavored ones. They go good with Beeman's gum too. My vote is yay! Black Jack clove gum is great too!

#4 3 years ago

I always thought the clove were root beer flavored. Wow was I wrong.
    My whole house smells amazing right now

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

I always thought the clove were root beer flavored. Wow was I wrong.
    My whole house smells amazing right now

Yeah they smell and taste great. Do you like the licorice ones too?

#6 3 years ago

good ol' New England Candy Company Wafers...harkened back from a simpler time.

Practically everyone around these parts grew up on them.

Still reminds me of this, though:

necco (resized).jpgnecco (resized).jpg
    #7 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Yeah they smell and taste great. Do you like the licorice ones too?

I’m crazy about Australian black licorice, so YES.

I remember finding a few of these in a woodrail I was working on. Prolly would’ve been just fine to eat as they last forever and a day

#8 3 years ago

Yep. I forgot they were taken off the market. Seems like they fixed whatever the issue was, since I see them at every store now.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yep. I forgot they were taken off the market. Seems like they fixed whatever the issue was, since I see them at every store now.

I think like most old candies they just kinda lost favor until they got taken away and that woke us old grumpy guys up and we wanted them back and got them yea!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

I’m crazy about Australian black licorice, so YES

Loved Easter time just because none of my siblings liked black licorice and I'd get all the black jelly beans to myself, yeah those were the days. I still buy the twizzlers black licorice today. Have you tried the Black Jack version of black licorice gum? If not you owe it to yourself to try some, it's great.

#11 3 years ago

Neccco wafers have been around for nearly 175 years. Yes, I’m a fan. The chocolate ones are good, too.

#12 3 years ago

Those things taste like chalk, can't stand them and don't see how anyone could like them.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

I’ve been craving sweets during the lock down and these (rereleased) just arrived, a little late but I’ll take ‘em...
    flavors: lemon, lime, orange, clove, cinnamon, wintergreen, licorice and chocolate.
    Yay or nay?
    [quoted image]

Where are they made now? Original Revere factory must be closed

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

Where are they made now? Revere must be closed

Spangler Candy bought the rights to make them.

They are now made in Ohio.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

Where are they made now? Original Revere factory must be closed

https://www.spanglercandy.com/our-brands/necco-wafers

My maternal great grandfather worked at that Revere Necco plant until a boiling hot chocolate spill on his lap ended his chocolatier making (and his child siring) days. Ouch...
    So my grandmother went to work for Schrafft's for the union and safety. They laid her off less than a year away from a full retirement after 30 years. It completely changed her level of living in her golden years.

#16 3 years ago

I love them so - Yay. My sister in law grabs packs for me when she sees them. They aren’t the easiest candy to find these days.

#17 3 years ago

Nay. Absolutely nay. I think I liked them for an afternoon while I was 5 because they were being used as a reward by my parents. However I quickly learned that I hated them. If the coronavirus vaccine was packaged in a Necco Wafer, I'd leave my mask on so I wouldn't have to eat it.

#18 3 years ago

YAY! It was a sad day when they ceased, but now, the candy world is right again.

#19 3 years ago

Nay. Not a fan. I like the company, but the candy is....blecch (to my taste buds)!

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

https://www.spanglercandy.com/our-brands/necco-wafers
    My maternal great grandfather worked at that Revere Necco plant until a boiling hot chocolate spill on his lap ended his chocolatier making (and his child siring) days. Ouch...
    So my grandmother went to work for Schrafft's for the union and safety. They laid her off less than a year away from a full retirement after 30 years. It completely changed her level of living in her golden years.

That’s terrible what happened to your grandparents.

#21 3 years ago

I'm going with "Nay" on the wafers. My buddy used to say that anything Necco branded "tastes like poverty". I have to say that I do like the Necco Squirrel Nut Zippers though.

I really miss Brach's candies. They remind me of going to Grandma's house when I was a kid. While they're still in business, they discontinued the Neopolitan Coconut Candy. Those are my all-time favorites of the candies from yesteryear.

#22 3 years ago

I love em all...except the black licorice ones. They make good poker chips too.

#23 3 years ago

The choice of purple for the clove flavor is somewhat puzzling

#24 3 years ago

Nay

#25 3 years ago

YAY! One of my favorites as a kid and a once in a while now. More into sno-caps and rolos now.
    -Mike

#26 3 years ago
    #27 3 years ago

Mudflaps has it right, but I still like them on occasion. I pick out the flavors I don't like and eat the rest.
    They were featured on an episode of how it's made. Simple ingredients and process= simple candy.

#28 3 years ago

Neccos are an American classic, and right up there in my personal top 3 with Robin Eggs and Good-n-Plenty.
    IMG_20200707_142717082_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200707_142717082_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200707_142744809_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200707_142744809_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200707_142801561_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200707_142801561_HDR (resized).jpg

#29 3 years ago

+1 on the Good-N-Plenty.

#30 3 years ago

+1 yea for Necco. I also like candy corn, black licorice, and spicy-sweet tamarind chili paste in a tube.

#31 3 years ago

Hell yeah! Love the Necco candy. Delish!

#32 3 years ago

I don’t hate them but once every 20 years is probably enough.

#33 3 years ago

Hell yes, for chocolate!

#35 3 years ago

I used to get them in MREs. Almost as bad as charms.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

They are gross.

To a 13 year old, me, at Rockaway Beach, trying to get to second base on the 4th of July....
    They were great that summer!

Tried some recently....didnt taste the same.

#37 3 years ago

Slice up some carrots...you’ll live longer

#38 3 years ago

As a kid, I preferred Stark wafers

#39 3 years ago

Bleah. Necco sucks.

#40 3 years ago

Just remember, Necco also makes those sweet valentine hearts!
    8FFD0403-E3F4-452C-BDE9-782A584AF887 (resized).jpeg8FFD0403-E3F4-452C-BDE9-782A584AF887 (resized).jpeg

#41 3 years ago

Neccos taste like slightly flavored cardboard, but once I open a roll of them I can't stop eating them.
    It's one of those "I know it doesn't taste good, but I like them anyway" foods.

#42 3 years ago

Yay all the way. Especially for licorice and chocolate, but I like the white ones too (clove if I’ve got it right).

I remember walking by the old factory in Boston as a kid, no idea if they were making candy there in the 80s still but we were thrilled to see it.

#43 3 years ago
    626791D5-B3F5-4A9F-AED7-DE152B594C5A (resized).png626791D5-B3F5-4A9F-AED7-DE152B594C5A (resized).png
    #44 3 years ago

Black licorice taffy, yeah I could definitely eat some of those.

#45 3 years ago

Necco wafers are identical to Tums antacid.

I think the only difference is marketing.

They both taste like chalk.

0_71VQEHCXe-L._AC_SX425_ (resized).jpg0_71VQEHCXe-L._AC_SX425_ (resized).jpg
    #46 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Necco wafers are identical to Tums antacid.
    I think the only difference is marketing.
    They both taste like chalk. [quoted image]

That’s a little harsh

#47 3 years ago

I tell you what though...
    Forget about eating these things in the movie theater (when and if they ever open back up) as they’re the loudest mofo’s on the planet. They’ve been banned by my family during movie time.

#48 3 years ago

Absolute “yay” for me, they might have saved my life in fact!

Used them years ago to kick the cigarette habit, now “sober” 14 years+almost 3 months. I’ve never been a fan of chewing gum, so that was not an option, and mints and other candy left too strong of an aftertaste. Necco had just enough flavor, and when held in the mouth takes about the same amount of time to dissolve as it does to smoke a cig; didn’t help with the nicotine detox of course, but the oral activity (that’s what “she” said) was just enough to divert my attention and help me claw through the nic fits intact.

#49 3 years ago

Those things taste nasty give me Smarties all day.

#50 3 years ago

Who can’t love orange Neccos???

I love them all except black licorice!!!

I have the last pack I ever bought on my desk at work before the shut down!!!

Glad they are living on. Sad the original plant is closed and people lost their jobs there.

But at lease they are still made in the USA!!!

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/necco-wafersyay-or-nay?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.