(Topic ID: 68800)

Neat little IC tester

By Marc

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ic tester.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sven.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 10 years ago

I've bought one as well for 30 dollars and it seems to work well!

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

These IC testers are very neat, but i don't think they are practical. My issue with these chip testers is you have to desolder the component off the board to test them. That kind of defeats the purpose. I mean you can test new ICs, but that does not seem very helpful.
    If you have a locked up board, you desolder everything one by one testing??? That is not a good repair method. Most 74XX and a lot of 40XX ICs can be tested with a DMM on diode test, in circuit, looking for voltage drops or powered with a logic probe using truth tables. This is far less invasive (but not fool proof by any stretch). The 74xx and 40XX ICs are all super cheap, if you have to desolder it to figure out if it is bad, just replace it?
    The CMOS RAM tester is much more practical since these ICs are often in a socket and are bad very often.
    Andrew

If there's an error and I suspect an IC and desolder it, it's nice to know if that IC was indeed broken, and this tool is usefull for that. I can measure simple Logic gates with a logic probe, but don't know how to measure some others.
    Besides if an IC is broken I always place a socket, so if after replacement there's still/again an error, I can easily taak the IC out and now I can test it as well very quickly, to see if the new one blew as well (if so, than a new search starts ).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sven.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neat-little-ic-tester?tu=sven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.