(Topic ID: 68800)

Neat little IC tester

By Marc

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ic tester.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 10 years ago

Looks like this one lists LM339, ULN2803, etc as part numbers it can test.

Ebay #: 230977852262

"This 's a powerful IC tester with a database of 74 series, 74LS series, 74HC series, 54 series, CD4000 series, HEF4000 series, CD4500 series, etc, in all over 1500 IC types."

Think I'll pick one of these up, for under $28 shipped seems like it would save a ton of time.

2 weeks later
    #26 10 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

So where does one buy this doodad? I don't see it on Borygard's site.

It's on eBay for under $30 shipped.. read through the posts again on this thread and you'll find several links or auction numbers. I bought one and just received it a few days ago. It makes testing logic chips that are socketed on old arcade boards a breeze. I was able to test 60 chips on 3 different boards (20 ICs per board) in under 30 min.. it took more time to get them back in their sockets! I guess they're hiding some of the circuitry under the ZIF socket or labels cause there's not much visible circuitry on it. I'd imagine it's identifying chips based on the voltages on each of their pins when powered up (creating a unique chip signature)..but that's just a guess. It does a nice job and is very quick identifying the chips. A marvel of a tool

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Thanks. Ace, Borygard said that the one on ebay wasn't his and doesn't test as many chips.

It appears these testers are manufactured in China and the units being sold on eBay can test the additional chips that were mentioned by Borygard as pinball specific. They're also sold on international B2B portals where cheap electronic components and other goods can be had for wholesale costs like Aliexpress / Alibaba -- http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Multi-functional-IC-74-CD4000-CD4500-series-IC-NO-checker-LED-Tester-Detector/937334129.html ($20.99ea for 10 pieces or more).

Many people don't want to deal with importing stuff from overseas, but US companies often have to source products to either resell or components/materials for end goods from international sellers.. otherwise costs of end products would be far too high for most people to want to purchase it. There are sometimes shady international sellers, language barriers, product received is not the represented product, etc.. but there are also many good sellers too. Of course.. the more people that buy something for wholesale from those sellers.. the more that pop up on eBay and the more competitive it would get for the same product to be sold on eBay. That's the downside to wholesale sourcing and the internet.. but that's another story.

Not saying there aren't additional chips the unit Borygard is able to test, but so far none of the additional chips that were mentioned are different than what is in the description on the eBay links. It's still good to support people in the hobby when you can, nothing wrong with that. You also wouldn't have to wait 3-4 weeks like you will if you order from an overseas seller.

I for one am very glad this IC tester was mentioned by the OP because it just saved me hours of time diagnosing a few arcade boards that were purely based on 74xx logic. Found 4 bad chips and replaced. The boards still had issues, but turned out the remaining issues were bad 7805 voltage regulators.. but since I knew the logic chips were good I could diagnose elsewhere.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

If anyone wants one of mine, just email me. I can't come close to the ebay price because they cost me much more than that in bulk. I also can't comment on the ebay one as I haven't specifically used it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was running the exact same code at this point. It sucks, as I said I've put a great deal of time into mine. Such is the way of these things though, and why the world is full of cheap knockoffs of everything.
    I also have the RAM testers available in kits or ready to use.
    --
    Rob Anthony

Not really a case of a cheap knockoff here though, I get what you're saying for other things but this hardware already existed right? And it was originally created and manufactured by a developer in China as a logic IC tester.. so any new capabilities suggested by customers would very likely make it into the new units. Sometimes there's deals worked out to keep things exclusive, but usually that costs big $$ since it would then affect sales of the version that lacks those capabilities.

I'm actually curious in knowing more technical details on how it identifies the chips if you know anything about it? I'm assuming voltage characteristics when the chips are powered on? Hoped you might know since you worked with the developer to get it working with some new chips. Fascinating stuff, for now I'll just marvel at it

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/neat-little-ic-tester?tu=acebathound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.