Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by triadwatch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140222_193134.jpg
    20140222_234947.jpg
    CAM00394.jpg
    CAM00398-94.jpg
    CAM00397.jpg
    CAM00390.jpg
    CAM00395.jpg
    20140222_235629 (Small)-435.jpg
    20140223_005635 (Small).jpg
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

UPDATE: We will be holding a side tournament which we expect will qualify for IFPA points. We also hope to have prizes. Note that the tourney will not use all of the pins, and the majority of the time and space will be given to casual play. Again, please contact me for more details. Thanks!

---------------
    I have been meaning for some time to host a gathering of area pinheads at our house in Durham, North Carolina. The appeal on behalf of Barry Oursler (http://www.gofundme.com/6fgkt0) gave me the idea of using that occasion as a fund raiser for Barry, even as we play his Cyclone (one of ten pins here). This isn't a formal tournament but rather a chance to get to know fellow pinball enthusiasts and play pins for a few hours. (Friendly competition is welcome, of course, but I do ask you to treat the pins with respect.) I propose that everyone attending donate $20 or more at the door, all of which will be passed on a.s.a.p. to the Barry Oursler fund.

We are scheduling the event for 7:00-10:30--come and go as you like--on the evening of Saturday, February 22nd. Non-playing spouses (etc.) are welcome to come and hang out with my non-playing spouse! I will send more specifics, including directions and advice about parking, to all who indicate an interest.

I will need confirmation from those planning to attend, including an email address so that I can contact you if we are forced to change plans due to bad weather (etc.).

Hopefully, we can have an enjoyable evening together and, in the process, raise some money for one of the great figures in our hobby.

My current pins:

Volley
    High Speed
    Cyclone
    White Water
    Tales of the Arabian Nights
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Star Trek LE
    Indiana Jones (Williams)
    Lord of the Rings
    Wizard of Oz LE

#2 10 years ago

Bumps welcome! It's Saturday afternoon, and this thread dropped to the bottom of the page in a matter of minutes. I hope everyone who might be interested gets the chance to see it. Thanks.

#3 10 years ago

Bump

#4 10 years ago

Bump II

#5 10 years ago

Last bump of the day. Please let me know if you think you'll be coming. Thanks.

#6 10 years ago

Sunday bump

#7 10 years ago

My son and I will be there. Thanks in advance, Craig!

#8 10 years ago

My girlfriend and I would like to come! Sending a PM....

#9 10 years ago

Great. Thanks for letting me know!

#10 10 years ago

I can't make it that day unfortunately. consider posting on Pinballbash forum as well- good NC coverage there.

#11 10 years ago

Craig, pm sent

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from TopJimmyCooks:

consider posting on Pinballbash forum as well-

Right. Will do. Thanks.

#13 10 years ago

We can share information at this weekends nc ifpa championship at lost ark

#14 10 years ago

Thanks. Much appreciated. Please ask anyone to be in touch with me directly so that I can contact them with more details closer to the day.

#15 10 years ago

This has been buried for a while, so here's a bump.

#16 10 years ago

The STLE arrived today and is working perfectly, so that will definitely be available on the 22nd. On the other hand, my WH20 is having some problems, but we're trying to solve those now. Never seems like all the pins can work at the same time, does it?

#17 10 years ago

Bump for the Saturday night crowd.

#18 10 years ago

John Bowes is coming talked with him today

#19 10 years ago

Very good!

#20 10 years ago

I think I would like to attend this as well. Used to be a police officer in Durham so know the area pretty well. Not too far now. Usually come down 98 right through there all the time pm detail

#21 10 years ago

Great. I'll send some PMs in a few days with more specifics.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

John Bowes is coming talked with him today

Yes I will be there. I think I have already mentioned I was coming through our league email.

Plus I am excited to announce the Triangle Pinball Club/League is donating our surplus League money from 2013 to the fund. We are donating $150. Originally we were going to hold a mini tournament for paid 2013 members and split the money. I have received a majority blessing to donate the money instead. This is in addition to the money we donate at the door for Craig's event.

John

#23 10 years ago

Super! See you soon, John.

#24 10 years ago

john send you a pm

#25 10 years ago

Aren't Black_Rose and shanetastic and the banker from NC? Wonder if they've seen your thread.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Aren't Black_Rose and shanetastic and the banker from NC? Wonder if they've seen your thread.

I'll make sure they do!

#27 10 years ago

Looking forward to the event! Good call on the surplus funds John.

#28 10 years ago

Craig, I wish I was closer bump. It sounds like a great time and great way to help raise some funds for Barry Oursler.

#29 10 years ago

Newbie, Flipper_McCoy here,
    Desires to attend feb. 22 fundraiser. Invited by John B.
    Please send PM with details and any refreshments me and hubby may bring.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Flipper_McCoy:

Please send PM with details and any refreshments me and hubby may bring.

Will do. I expect to send out an email to everyone who has expressed an interest in the next day or two. Look forward to meeting you soon!

Quoted from Don44:

Craig, I wish I was closer bump.

Hey there, Don. Always a pleasure to see you on Pinside!

#31 10 years ago

Bump for a great cause!!

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

They are the NC pinball celebrities. Have fun guys, 3 hours each way is too much for me.

#33 10 years ago

if I got a reply for this I can not find it for the life of me to find out where this is held at.

Thanks

globalgamerooms.com

Raleigh Based

#34 10 years ago

Hi, x2times. I have been busy trying to sell our old house in Maryland, among other things. I will try to get something out tonight. Sorry to be so slow!

#35 10 years ago

Initial PMs sent. Please let me know if you didn't hear from me.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Aren't Black_Rose and Shanetastic and the Banker from NC ? Wonder if they've seen your thread.

Craig just sent me the Link ,, Barry Oursler is 1 of the Coolest Pin designer's ,, BSD
    ( goin on 5 yr's in the GRG )
    DH Great Pin as well & so many More Pin's that i've owned designed by him .. Brother I'd Love 2 attend , but i have some business to attend to ,,,
    (( Is yr Benefit from 7a to 10p or 7p to 10p )) .. I was planning to attend the Southern Pin Fest in Atlanta where Mr Oursler was gonna be in Person and get his signature on a Few Translites .. I'm Not sure that's gonna happen , but you just Never know .

Craig , Thank You for the Personal invite , if something Changes I'll Post and i could maybe bring my BSD ..
    I'll send Shanetastic a PM and tell him ,,, The Banker ( i hope he doesn't get mad at me 4 telling this ) he is going to have heart surgery the 23rd or 24th ,, let's keep Jim in our Prayer's .. The Banker is an Awesome gentleman ..
    I'd be happy to send you $ 20.00 by Paypal for the B.Oursler Fund ( just send me your P.pal address ..

Later ,, B_R

#37 10 years ago

Thanks for letting me know about Jim. Yes, let's definitely support him. He's been a great friend to all of us here in NC.

#38 10 years ago

Thanks for doing this, Craig. I am actually playing in another Oursler benefit that weekend, up in Fairfax, VA. I would love to get together for some Durham league play sometime. Buying my first pin this month, probably a WCS94.

#39 10 years ago

Hi, David. I am sure this won't be the last event we have at the house. See you next time!

#40 10 years ago

Bump - one week from tonight!

#41 10 years ago

UPDATE: We will be holding a side tournament which we expect will qualify for IFPA points. We also hope to have prizes. Note that the tourney will not use all of the pins, and the majority of the time and space will be given to casual play. Again, please contact me for more details. Thanks!

#42 10 years ago

I have some items coming from Stern. I am hopeful they arrive in time for the fundraiser. In the event that the prizes do not get here in time I will be delivering them once they arrive.

I am going to be conducting the tournament. There is no additional cost, what you donate at the door is all we are asking from you. I am encouraging everyone to participate in the tournament. Don't be intimidated by others with better skills. Great way to learn the games by watching others play in competition.

Please PM me if you want to participate in the tournament. We are going to use 3 games per round for the tournament. Maybe rotate them for each round since he has so many. I have to work with Craig on that one. I am leaning towards roatation so that way the same three games aren't locked in the entire tournament.

#43 10 years ago

Thanks, John. It's our expectation that those who want to participate in the tourney will have ample time and space to do so, and that those who would prefer not to will also have more than enough to do. We'll have ten or eleven pins running along with a MAME at all times, plus there will be snacks and beverages and plenty of space to sit and chat. 'Looking forward to seeing several Pinsiders there on Saturday.

P.S. Again, if you haven't done so already, please PM me if you plan to attend. It will help a lot with planning to have a headcount in advance.

#44 10 years ago

Getting close to Saturday. By the way, we will have the Rocky pin available as well. I know that's one that a lot of people have never had the chance to play.

#45 10 years ago

I saw that Rocky last Feb- 2013 at doughslinger's when i Picked up my Single Owner IM .. gOOd lOOk-n Pin

Everyone have Fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I saw that Rocky last Feb- 2013 at doughslinger's when i Picked up my Single Owner IM .. gOOd lOOk-n Pin
    Everyone have Fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 million thumbs up.

#47 10 years ago

Just been out buying snacks, beer, soda, water, etc. for tomorrow. You can still come if you haven't yet signed up, so contact me for directions and details. Looking forward to seeing many of you soon!

#48 10 years ago

Got the goodie box from Stern yesterday. (Jody if you are reading this, THANKS!!) WOW.... a few ST translights, a few shirts, stack of assorted flyers, some misc plastics and a huge wad of mainly ACDC pro target stickers. There were some other misc stickers for other games but the wad was mainly ADDC. Spent the evening creating 1st 2nd 3rd 4-12th place tournament packs. There will be a random drawing for one of the translights so even if you didn't participate in the tournament you can still win something cool.

I look forward to seeing everyone there tomorrow and if you do attend PLEASE play in the tournament, no extra costs but you will get to play with some great folks for a great cause with some cool Stern freebies.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from robotronjohn:

There will be a random drawing for one of the translights so even if you didn't participate in the tournament you can still win something cool.

My one ray of hope!

#50 10 years ago

WOW what a blast. We could not have had the successful evening without the hosts, Robin and Craig. They opened their wonderful home and even allowed the tournament to run longer into the evening than originally expected.

We raised $720 for the Ourslers. And I want to thank all who attended and donated! We had a local company, Joyner Realty donate a generous $100. David Joyner couldn't make it but wanted to help out. Triangle Pinball League donated $150. 9 or more of our members attended and donated individually as well. We had a great 12 player tournament. Many thanks to all who played for fun and competition.

Tournament Standings are as follows.

1.Dave Harvey (pictured on right) - Raleigh
    2.Rod Cordoba (pictured in middle) - Durham
    3.Andrew O'connor (pictured on left next to Rocky) - Raleigh
    4.Robert Olivia - Raleigh
    5.Orin Day - Durham
    6. Arthur Hill - Durham
    7. Dan O'Connor - Raleigh
    8. John Bowes - Raleigh
    9. Doug Bellue - Raleigh
    10.Linda Graham - Durham
    11.Josh Bellue - Raleigh
    12.Kevin Shanus - Concord

First place prize pack and winners pic!

20140223_005635 (Small).jpg20140223_005635 (Small).jpg

20140222_235629 (Small)-435.jpg20140222_235629 (Small)-435.jpg

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nc-pinball-get-together-to-benefit-barry-oursler-feb-22nd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.