IMG_1596 (resized).JPG
IMG_1599 (resized).JPG
IMG_1598 (resized).JPG
IMG_1600 (resized).JPG
NBA_FastbreakRoster.PNG
EABF613F-41CA-4944-8EB2-7CB3BF4DA68F (resized).jpeg
BDE40382-DE55-4C85-BE79-83B6BBA7A20F (resized).jpeg
IMG_4268 (resized).JPG

There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 10 years ago

Just picked up an NBAFB as my first pin. First question: getting ready to shop it and was wondering if folks had black or white rubbers on theirs?

#2 10 years ago

White on mine...

#3 10 years ago

White

#4 10 years ago

Black on mine, but considering going with white on the next shop job to liven things up a bit...

Later,
EV

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Just picked up an NBAFB as my first pin. First question: getting ready to shop it and was wondering if folks had black or white rubbers on theirs?

Congrats, it is a really fun pin!

#6 10 years ago

I love this pin....going white when I do next cleaning....on all my pins

#7 10 years ago

To me, what speaks loudest about NBAFB is this simple fact;

I don't care for the sport of basketball and can't stand the prima-donna NBA, but I specifically searched out and bought this game because it's so different and cool.

Later,
EV

#8 10 years ago

I had white rubbers on the playfield and black ones one the flippers.

This is a little clip of my (now ex) NBAFB:

#9 10 years ago

I have orange flipper rubbers. Looks pretty good, I think.

1 week later
#10 10 years ago

OK, here's a newbie question for you guys. One of my first attempts at pin repair is cleaning the loop diverter assembly and replacing the coil sleeve, as it's not firing correctly.

I unbolted all the under-the-playfield parts, but the plunger is attached to the diverter blade at the right loop, and you can't remove the assembly without detaching the plunger from the blade. It's attached with a black fastener of some sort. What's the right way to remove the plunger from the blade without breaking anything (if possible)?

Thanks!

#11 10 years ago

White rings with orange flipper rubbers.

Robert

1 week later
#12 10 years ago

white rubbers, great game, recently purchased the new ramps and will be installing soon.

#13 10 years ago

white rubbers

#14 10 years ago

Curious what happens (if anything) if you get 4+ rings in a game...secret wizard mode on the fifth ring? Nothing (probably)?

#15 10 years ago

try it out and let everyone know

#16 10 years ago

Just traded a fully shopped Popeye for one. Not sure I did the right thing tho.

2 weeks later
#17 10 years ago

Black rubber now. Will change to white when needed.

Mike

#18 10 years ago

Why does everyone choose white?

Are they faster? Do they have less bounce? Are they cleaner as not to leave marks? I'm unsure let me know.

#19 10 years ago

1) no
2) yes
3) yes.

#20 10 years ago

White has more bounce, but keeps the playfield from picking up the nasty black residue from black rubbers. Rumor was a lot of games were designed for white rubber, but ops wanted black (harder to see its dirty on the rubbers themselves) so they got black.

I don't know how much I believe that, but there you go.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

1) no
2) yes
3) yes.

It was early when I typed this, and I realized I messed up #2. Answer is supposed to be no. White doesn't have less bounce than black.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It was early when I typed this, and I realized I messed up #2. Answer is supposed to be no. White doesn't have less bounce than black.

It seems that if #2 is no, then #1 would be yes. And if white doesn't have less bounce back, which as written, is a double-negative, then indeed-#3 is a yes.

Mike

#23 10 years ago

Probably should have posted here...I'm working with Cliffy to get FB protectors done.

See this link:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nba-fb-protectors

Robert

#24 10 years ago

Thanks, Robert! The biggest wear spots seem to be the saucers (Crazy Bob's and In the Paint) and the "net" portion of the left ramp. I'm not sure if these would fall under the purview of Cliffy - usually I think of hole protectors with Cliffy, of which NBAFB has none.

The defender plastic is also commonly broken, but PinBits makes a nice plastic protector for this.

#25 10 years ago

Anyone replace their legs with colored ones? The legs mine came with are pretty beat and I was thinking of purple or candy purple legs from Marco.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Anyone replace their legs with colored ones? The legs mine came with are pretty beat and I was thinking of purple or candy purple legs from Marco.

The whole game is Orange...I was thinking of doing that color for legs, bar, rails...sort of like a Shrek...just not green.

Robert

#27 10 years ago

Question, how often should the ball go around the right orbit? My metal divertor about 3-4 inches into the loop, seems to mostly sit in the down position to block the orbit so I'm wondering if its working correctly. It does orbit (or goes as far as its supposed to go because its not a full orbit) but it only does it maybe 10-20% of the time. Just wasn't sure what it was supposed to do or when its suppoed to fully orbit

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Thanks, Robert! The biggest wear spots seem to be the saucers (Crazy Bob's and In the Paint) and the "net" portion of the left ramp. I'm not sure if these would fall under the purview of Cliffy - usually I think of hole protectors with Cliffy, of which NBAFB has none.

When Cliffy asked me to help him, I was wondering where the issues were. I'm sure there are spots that need protection, but yes there are no VUKs or subways.

Well there are no VUKs where the ball falls in a hole, perhaps people are seeing wear at the up-kick points around the basket.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has wear points that might need a protector...so we can evaluate if one can be made and would work/hold up appropriately.

Thanks.

Robert

#29 10 years ago

I've been working on an updated rule sheet for FB, the basis for it was stolen from other sources.

Thought I'd post here in case anyone wants to review and critique it so far.

Thanks.

Robert

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Brad76:

Question, how often should the ball go around the right orbit? My metal divertor about 3-4 inches into the loop, seems to mostly sit in the down position to block the orbit so I'm wondering if its working correctly. It does orbit (or goes as far as its supposed to go because its not a full orbit) but it only does it maybe 10-20% of the time. Just wasn't sure what it was supposed to do or when its suppoed to fully orbit

When the ball goes through an inlane when "In the Paint" is lit, that triggers the diverter to lift so the ball heads to the basket area.

#31 10 years ago

I wanted to share my experience doing my first "fix" on a pinball, with this machine. When I got it, the right loop diverter blade was staying up after firing, and the guy who sold it to me suggested cleaning the coil assembly and plunger and replacing the coil sleeve. I did so, but the problem persisted.

After determining none of the parts was magnetized (my next guess), I realized the problem was on the plunger itself. The plunger is actually an assembly (2 parts), and part of the bolt holding them together was sticking out of one of the holes, catching the sleeve and preventing the plunger from returning. I tapped the bolt back into the plunger, which let the coil sleeve slide freely, but this still didn't solve the problem. Turns out the assembly was loose and when the coil fired, it was slightly bending the top piece of the plunger, preventing it from dropping back down by itself.

In the end, a new plunger ($14 from Marco) fixed this. Wonder if anyone else has seen a faulty plunger assembly on this machine...

Also, I discovered that the manual appears incorrect in the coil assembly diagram - in my experience the lower bracket had to go on before the coil sleeve, or else the sleeve would not clear the top of the coil.

assem.pngassem.png

#32 10 years ago

Westofrome - Not sure about issues with that particular plunger on this particular machine, but plunger issues aren't uncommon on pins in general.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I've been working on an updated rule sheet for FB, the basis for it was stolen from other sources.
Thanks.
Robert

Thanks for sharing this Robert! Looks great so far.

Mike

#34 10 years ago

I prefer black rubbers on my pins.
I added an additional lamp to the third pop bumper and put a bumper cap on it. I had to shave down the bottom edge of the cap so it would fit under the ramp.

1 month later
#35 10 years ago

I'd like to hear how many NBAFB owners have the "overpowered autoplunger" problem documented in this thread: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nba-fastbreak-members-only-just-kidding-shooter-question

Basically, the autoplunger virtually never sends the ball around the ramp to the hole above the pops; it fires straight up over the ramp and ends up somewhere in the In the Paint area, or bounces anywhere on the playfield. So far, I have checked the coil (correct one) and tried the "bend back the metal tab at the top of the metal ramp, squeeze the metal ramp together" method, with many degrees of bending and squeezing, to no effect. It really seems the problem is an overpowered shot, not the ball hitting the metal tab.

When I roll the ball up manually, it has no problem looping around to the hole above the pops. Could it be that I need to replace my coil, or some other aspect of the autoplunger assembly - could some malfunction in there be causing the overpower issue? Would swapping a different type of coil with less power be an option? I'm out of my depth here mechanically/electrically. Thanks for feedback, it's been bugging me.

Dave

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I'd like to hear how many NBAFB owners have the "overpowered autoplunger" problem documented in this thread: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nba-fastbreak-members-only-just-kidding-shooter-question

I too have noticed this problem. I haven't worked on my FB yet or really got into looking into what causes it. I didn't know this was a common problem. Thanks for that link.

2 weeks later
#37 10 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Thanks.
Robert

Guide_to_NBA_FASTBREAK_Rev_2.pdf 565 KB

Robert, thanks for the rulesheet. One clarification, on Hoop Loops. You write:

22 (!!) Left Orbit Loop Combos (or whatever). I've never come close to getting this one.
It's hard to get a Loop Combo without actually trying for one. You have to get two Left
Orbits in a row to get a Combo. I need more info on this, in particular whether there's any
reason to go for it. Again, settings are different. For mine, it's only 12.

These are Hoop Loops, and they can be set at a fixed number or a variable one to award EBs. You only need to hit the loop once for a Hoop Loop (no combo), but the catch it that you can only accumulate Hoop Loops during Power Hoops modes.

This leads to some interesting strategy - for example, if you're playing for rings and not so much points, you want to accumulate extra balls, so during the time-limited PH modes, you need to ignore all the "points" shots and go for as many Hoop Loops as possible. So you have the game taunting you for not making shots, even if you're nailing multiple Hoop Loops. The best way to accumulate them is during Hoops Multiball, since that's the only Power Hoops mode that's not time limited.

One rule tweak I'd like to see is to have one or more of the PH modes be "extendable" based on the shots you make, like some of the Crazy Bob modes. That way, you could strategically alternate Hoop Loop shots with basket shots to allow more time to rack up Hoop Loops.

Also, by the way, how are the Cliffys coming? Any news?

#38 10 years ago

NBAFB has some cool features like the Million dollar shot the gives you a few seconds to hit the center ramp to get your ball back after it drains down the right out lane . It all so has inlane pass, that you have to earn by hitting targets, this inlane pass will give your ball back after you drain on the left out lane .

This game was built in 1997 and there is a certain new game that has the same features and is hailed as a breath of fresh air ? Oh how we forget history ...

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Also, by the way, how are the Cliffys coming? Any news?

Quoted from westofrome:

Thanks, Robert! The biggest wear spots seem to be the saucers (Crazy Bob's and In the Paint) and the "net" portion of the left ramp.

I have discussed NBAFB protectors with Cliff a couple of times, he's hammered with other projects and I haven't pushed him.

If I can get a few more inputs as to where protection is needed (other than where Dave as suggested), I'll start the discussion with him again.

The key to protectors is to get them all decided at once, as there is more than likely no going back.

Thanks.

Robert

#40 10 years ago

Get the factory topper incl. the sides, it's a must for this game and looks awesome!

#41 10 years ago

I've never seen a topper for sale anywhere, has anyone?

#42 10 years ago

My personal opinion is I would only get a nba fast break if I get two and hook them up together and play 1 on 1

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

I've never seen a topper for sale anywhere, has anyone?

I haven't seen a factory Topper for sale for about 2 years, and that one went for real money.

Robert

#44 10 years ago

NBA Topper.pngNBA Topper.png

#45 10 years ago

Just picked mine up tuesday super clean

#46 10 years ago

Playing a head to head one today at 3pm
Shoot the 5 main ramps start multiball and try to keep ball in play

#47 10 years ago

Who has an NBAFB playfield or game that is mostly taken apart.

I've looked at my game, that is all assembled, to see what might be done for protectors at the 4 "pass" saucers.

There isn't anything existing that will work and it looks like each might have to be slightly different. I need to have someone with either a bare or partially disassembled game help with the protector effort.

Thanks.

Robert

#48 10 years ago

Probably bringing one to expo 13 in Chicago if anyone is interested

#49 10 years ago

Anybody know of anyone that has the topper available?

In lieu of protectors available I use the self laminating strips......work great, especially in those areas and the shooter lane...

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

My personal opinion is I would only get a NBA Fast Break if I get two and hook them up together and play 1 on 1

The linking of the machines for head to head play is fantastic fun, especially for friends who were once die hard Bulls and Pistons Fan in the 1990s. The linkage capability takes this pinball machine to a different level, similar to other head to head games, but you are side by side, elbow to elbow, shoulder to shoulder able to lay weight into your opponent....not that I would do something as unfair as that might be....

Black on both machines all around.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nbafb-owners-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.