Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by steve-o
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Post edited by steve-o: resolved

#2 9 years ago

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/4023/Bally_1997_NBA_Fastbreak_Linking_Kit_Installation_Instructions_for_Linking_Kit_58030.pdf

Have you reviewed this doc? I have a linked pair, just can't get to them right now. . .Ill keep an eye on this thread and report back if you are still stuck.

Have you added the extra chips for the printer ports?

#3 9 years ago

#4 9 years ago

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/wpcroms.html#n

3.1 for CPU and 3.0 for S2 sound is needed.

Both machines show the same error?

#5 9 years ago

What size chip did you use when burning S2? I believe the upgrade to sound rom required a 27C080 chip, instead of the 27C040 chip.

I would pull the chips, blank them, verify they are blank, re-download the rom, re-burn, and retry. Good Luck!

Both roms can be found on: ipdb.org
    game rom 3.1
    sond rom V3.0 (german) -but this works...

From the release notes:
    NBA Fastbreak Sound ROM S2 Revision 3.0
    5/9/97

This is a 1-megabyte sound ROM, and requires an 8 megabit EPROM
    (27C080, 27C8001, etc) to function properly.

Post edited by Millz: link to roms

#6 9 years ago

#7 9 years ago

#8 9 years ago

Glad to help Steveo...send up a note when they are up & running!

#9 9 years ago

2 weeks later
    #10 9 years ago

#11 9 years ago

Your pictures do not show the linking cable hooked up... I think.

#12 9 years ago

There are pics of the linked A/V boards on ipdb.org and they also have the link instructions.

#13 9 years ago

Purchased chip is correct size? 27C080
    Did you buy this chip with the software on it? 3.0
    Can you try to reburn to it on buddies burner?

IMO it shouldnt matter if the RS 232 cable is present or not/this should not caues an issue.

I would not advise removing W2. I did not have to.

#14 9 years ago

#15 9 years ago

I've got one NBAFB (so far). I'd love to link in the future, so I'm very grateful for your documentation of your struggles and triumphs! Good luck!

#16 9 years ago

So both games give the interface error after updating the S2 ROM to 3.0?

Or just one?

#17 9 years ago

Haha. It's awesome to see johnwartjr chiming in, because he's going to be the guy I turn to for EPROMs and junk if I get a second game. I <3 That Pinball Place.

John, what parts of the link kit would you be able to provide, and what else would be necessary?

#18 9 years ago

#19 9 years ago

I'd try the 2nd S2 chip in the 1st game - it's always possible that one of those sound ROMs is a bad burn, but I'd want to rule the board out first.

Those look like they came from Dave Astill, he provides a good product and good customer service - so if the 2nd chip has the same result, it's possible you've got a board problem or a bad ribbon cable.

If you want to send me both sets of boards, I can throw them on my WPC-95 fixture, give them a good test and repair anything that needs repair. The HV section repair is not something that should take half a day, unless the board is hacked to death.

Mot, I could make a linking cable for someone if they need it, I'm certain. I can't test it, but I seem to recall you only need about 3 pins, so I should be able to test a cable with a meter and know that it's going to work.

The other chips you need are readily available - I helped someone source them recently.

You need 2x TL16C550CN
    and 2x max7219cng

This thread is very helpful:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-link-2-nba-fastbreak-pics-needed

#20 9 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nbafb-linking-software-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.