(Topic ID: 239909)

NBA Mac (Arduino Conversion)

By blackphoenixpt

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0473 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0472 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0471 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0470 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0462 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0461 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0460 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0458 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0429 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0427 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0424 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0423 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0419 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0417 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider legtod2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

Sounds like a tall project. I have done the Virtual Pinball machines and the hybrid pinball machines.
    There is a learning curve involved from the Arduino side in regards to building everything from scratch approach.
    Using the Arduino Mega and Uno, my hybrid machine utilizes Bally Lamp switch board and Solenoid board.
    This way I was not dependent of soldering up my own control boards.

I have enjoyed that journey and found this forum very helpful and supportive.

Alternatively you could take the P-ROC or FAST hardware approach with Mission Pinball Framework. This approach is still challenging but gives you a better beginning point. You still get to do your own rules, choose what type of displays to use (7 Segment or DMD), have lighting effects, and have your own custom sounds. The cool part with this choice is there is hardware and software support.

Good luck in your journey with what ever direction you choose.

#5 5 years ago

One other thought, is to move away from having 6 seven segment displays and go with a single DMD/LED display.

Controlling a DMD is fairly straight forward with an Arduino mega or Teensy 3.5 or 3.6. This would easily be controlled by the MPF solution or your arduino direction.

Having 7 Segment or 14 Segment displays are classic, but you can do so much more with a DMD or small TV screen with cool effects.

#7 5 years ago

The great thing about coding your own is you can do both.
    For my close encounters machine I started with the original rules and sound, but that got old quick.

I added skill shots , extraball, specials, and 43 sound effects to events. Using a couple of dip switches your original or new rule set could be easily configurable.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/close-encounters-arduino-conversion

#8 5 years ago

Just curious what your plans are as far as the uno triggering the sounds.

What I did is have a raspberry pi receive the triggers to play sound. It enables me to play 5 channels of sound to my speakers plus store a large collection of event sounds to choose from.

Another question, do you plan to use a switch matrix or something else for switch input?

#15 5 years ago

Lots of white wires

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider legtod2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nba-mac-arduino-conversion?tu=legtod2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.