You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC07336.JPG
DSC07340.JPG
DSC07343.JPG
#1 8 years ago

My NBAFB shot clock is not counting down. When the game is turned on it shows either 80 or 00 and doesn't work at all. A few weeks ago I noticed the shot clock counting down oddly and showing random numbers. Now it just stays where ever it's at when it's turned on.

I ran the mechanical test (T16) that checks the motor and blocker guy and in the test it states the clock will count down from 24 to 0. The clock doesn't count down during the test, but the test doesn't give an error. There's no credit dots or errors that I can find. The machine plays fine and everything else works as normal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

~Cody

#2 8 years ago

There has to be a little connector running to the shot clock dispaly. I would inspect both the male pins and the female pins. Logical place to start.

#3 8 years ago

Took all the connectors apart and reconnected them. Reset factory settings too. Neither has had any effects on the shot clock working.

When the machine is turned on it shows 80 or 00.

DSC07343.JPGDSC07343.JPG
#4 8 years ago

When I unplug this wire and plug it back in (while the machine is on) it will go to either 24 or 20, but still not function.

DSC07340.JPGDSC07340.JPG
#5 8 years ago

Those are the only 4 numbers it will show. 80 or 00 when turned on and 20 or 24 if I unplug that wire (while it's on). Once it's turned back off it goes back to 80 or 00.

DSC07336.JPGDSC07336.JPG
#6 8 years ago

It seems like it's a software or program issue. Is there a way to do some sort of hard reset or update the software?

Anyone have any guesses on what might be causing this issue?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from CodyR:

It seems like it's a software or program issue. Is there a way to do some sort of hard reset or update the software?
Anyone have any guesses on what might be causing this issue?

Have a logic probe? Sounds like this little display uses encoded data and you have one bad line. I would check all the inputs for valid signals. THe schematics will be needed to trace this out, i am not sure how they drive this display.

#8 8 years ago

According to the schematics, the inputs are +12VDC, GND, Clock Enable and Clock count. Since the signals are all fed to it (no feedback), there will be no test credit dot if it fails. Just visual confirmation if the thing is working.

Not a software issue. More likely either the circuit on the power driver board that runs the clock has failed, or the circuitry within the clock has failed (I'm betting on the clock).

#9 8 years ago

Check the clock enable and clock count. If they are floating, that is a major clue. Could be as simple a broken connector somewhere.

#10 8 years ago

How the NBA Fastbreak clock works:

Pin 1 (nearest the center of the clock) gets +12VDC
Pin 2 is GND

Using a +12VDC supply, hooking up pins 1 and 2, you'll see nothing.

Pin 4 is active low; ground pin 4, and the clock turns on and automatically resets to 24
Pin 5 is active low; ground pin 5 (with pin 4 already grounded), and the clock will count down 1 number.

To count down, the power driver board grounds pin 4 to enable it, then grounds pin 5 every second, 24 times to count it down to zero.

If pin 5 is grounded more than 24 times, the clock will wrap around, starting at 99 and count down again.

#11 8 years ago

Fantastic! You really know your stuff!!!!! Any idea why it shows 80 and 00 when it turns on? It totally makes sense now that when I unplug it and plug it back in it goes to 24.

What's you guess on what's broke? Do you think this is the solution?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-21399

Quoted from mjenison:

How the NBA Fastbreak clock works:
Pin 1 (nearest the center of the clock) gets +12VDC
Pin 2 is GND
Using a +12VDC supply, hooking up pins 1 and 2, you'll see nothing.
Pin 4 is active low; ground pin 4, and the clock turns on and automatically resets to 24
Pin 5 is active low; ground pin 5 (with pin 4 already grounded), and the clock will count down 1 number.
To count down, the power driver board grounds pin 4 to enable it, then grounds pin 5 every second, 24 times to count it down to zero.
If pin 5 is grounded more than 24 times, the clock will wrap around, starting at 99 and count down again.

1 week later
#12 8 years ago

I have an entire working one you could have for that price!

1 month later
#13 8 years ago

So the Defender Mech is broken, at least that's my newest error reading. The blocker (defender) doesn't move and when the game starts up it gives the error dot and when I test it the message is "Defender mech is broken".

And the shot clock is even more messed up now working less and doing odd things. Would it be safe to assume this is all connected or am I chasing 2 problems now?

Any thoughts on how to test the mech? Should I call someone to help? Anyone know of a good repair guy in Portland, OR?

4 weeks later
#14 8 years ago

It's fixed! Wanted to update this thread in case anyone else does a search in the future and has the same issues I had.

After doing all the tests I felt comfortable doing and looking in to the suggestion made I did a search on here to find a good local pinball repair guy. Curt at Portland Pinball Repair came recommend from a couple people so I gave him a call. He came out to my place and took a look at my machine. After testing the easy stuff he needed to take it back to his shop where he would have access to more schematics and spare testing parts. He had the machine a little over 2 weeks and gave me several updates on the parts he was ordering and what exactly was being done. In the end it turned out to be an inexpensive IC chip and the game is back up and running great so far! Curt even changed out a couple plastic pop bumpers that were showing their age. He did it all with a great attitude and in a reasonable time frame. On top of the great service the price was reasonable too. Super nice guy that really knows a lot about pinball machines!

Thank you to everyone that made suggestions and really appreciate the great site!

~Cody

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nba-fastbreak-shot-clock-doesnt-count-down-displays-80-only and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.