Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Youri165
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 months ago

Recently I switched to LED lighting in my NBA Fastbreak. No problem at all, untill I played the game after I installed the final GI leds. At the moment that a ball enters one of the 'S','H','O','O','T' ramps/lanes all the CPU controlled GI leds are swichted off for about a second.
I performed the T6 General Illumination test, with the following remarkable result: at brightness level 6 the GI leds are switched off. At lower levels the leds are in fact dimmed (with more or less flickering), at level 7 and 8 they shine at maximum power.
I measured the (ac) voltage on the lamps during the test, these are the results: level 1: 3,7V, level 2: 4,4V, level 3: 5,0V, level 4: 5,5V, level 5: between 5,3V en 6,0V (heavy flickering), level 6: 2,8V, level 7: 5,8V, level 8: 5,8 V.
So the problem is that at level 6 the voltage is way too low. And I assume the GI is dimmed to level 6 at the moment a ball enters one of the mentioned ramps/lanes (although I have never noticed this while using incandescent GI lamps).
The workaround is to switch off GI dimming (general adjustment #A.25), but I would like to get this issue solved. I have the manual, I am more or less familiar with reading electrical diagrams, but I could not figure out how the voltage is regulated to the GI.
Any advice?

#2 12 months ago

The LEDs do not work well with dimming or fading effects. If you want to retain the fading effect, buy one of these LED OCD boards, otherwise turn off GI Power Saver and Allow Dim Illumination in the adjustments. They make boards for GI and inserts.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards-general-illumination?variant=39990957473894

#3 12 months ago

Ok, thanks for the advice. I am aware that dimming and leds don't work well together. For the time being I will disable the dimming in the settings. As far as I know dimming in NBAFB doesn't play a big role. But still: I think something is wrong with the voltage regulation, the voltage-drop at level 6 would also occur with incandescent lighting. I would be surprised that the voltage drop is caused by the leds. Edit: OK, I was wrong, see my next post.....

#4 11 months ago

I just replaced 1 led in each string with an incandescent bulb, and guess what: the problem is solved. So I assume the dimming circuit has some impedance issue with only led's in the string. I will switch off dimming in the general adjustments. Maybe someone has another solution, or explanation of this issue, just curious.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 37.50
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nba-fastbreak-gi-led-dim-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.