IMG_5207 (resized).png
Fastbreak LED pop (resized).png
IMG_2249 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2239 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2297 (resized).JPG
nba5 (resized).jpg
IMG_9189 (resized).png
IMG_2756 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pomc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#205 4 years ago

Back in the NBA club!

I briefly owned one last year that I bought bundled in a 6 pin deal. So it was never intended to stay, but I was really surprised how much fun I had playing it. The music is contagious and the callouts are high energy. Fun flow when you have the shots dialed in, otherwise brick city, so this is a challenging game.

Had the chance to buy a great looking example locally and it's back in the lineup to stay. Hopefully ColorDMD availability is in the near future.

1 week later
#209 4 years ago
Quoted from Kredmore:

Anybody ever solve the SDTM issue? How? Saw some posts, tried the ideas, but ball probably sdtm about 50% of the time. Takes the fun out of the game for all.

Talking about exiting out of the pops? I solved it on mine by adjusting the left side metal ball guide. The top of the guide had a little play in it, so I inserted a toothpick into each top mounted hole (broke it off level with playfield) to eliminate that play and keep the guide in position. The ball exits to the middle of the right flipper, where I can hit it on the fly or let it bounce over to the left flipper and trap it.
Makes the game MUCH better obviously than those infuriating drains.

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from Kredmore:

Anybody ever solve the SDTM issue? How? Saw some posts, tried the ideas, but ball probably sdtm about 50% of the time. Takes the fun out of the game for all.

I took a 90 second video tonight and was able to get about 6 drops from the bumpers. You'll see how each time it feeds to the right flipper. Total game changer and sets up your strategy for shots and combos when eliminating the STDM or close to STDM returns.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AMfyHse1uAgdV5LaA

#213 4 years ago

Earned my first ring ever about 5 minutes ago! Just couldn't win the Trophy Multiball the first four times I reached it. Finally I didn't choke!

Once the rules are learned and understood, and the game is properly dialed in, what is not to like about it? The callouts are top-notch, maybe up there with the best of any game. The control of the ball the player has, passing from shot to shot, is what I look for in a pinball "toy".

The music is up-tempo and downright addictive. The shots, while some can be tight, are flowtastic when your groove is on. And your bricked shots fit right into the theme of basketball and the defense denying your scoring attempts. Great theme integration.

The left orbit right ramp shot is currently my favorite shot in pinball.

ColorDMD! Where are you??

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from Kredmore:

Thank you, very helpful. With enough speed coming out from the bumpers, the ball hits the left guide (with the slight bend at the end) which should make the ball go to the right flipper, as in the video. My issue is that sometimes the ball is slow enough to not make it over to the left guide, and hugs the right side guide, so just fails down to SDTM.

Yup, that was also my issue with slower moving balls. Took a bit of adjusting the rails. Use some pieces of double side tape on the right ball guide (leave the paper on the out facing side) to change the ball trajectory. Velcro strips cut to size also works for testing. Once you see what helps, you can then adjust the rails. That helped me figure out where I needed to make adjustments.

#218 4 years ago
Quoted from 3rdbase:

I just purchased NBAFB and have always loved playing it. Need some advice, when the ball goes "in the paint" should you be able to always pass the ball? There are times where the ball automatically shoots when "in the paint" and will not let me pass.

I'm not quite sure the rules for in the paint, but yes, this is the behavior on mine as well.

Do you have the latest game and sound ROMs? I had a volume issue on the last NBA Fastbreak I owned and it was due to an issue with the sound rom.

#220 4 years ago

Yup, you do whatever gets the job done.

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Maybe trough switch error? Check all switches in test mode, roll balls slowly down and check each register and roll all the way down, maybe magnetized also so try new balls. Good luck

Sounds dumb, but make sure you have the correct amount of balls in the game. Don't recall how many of the top of my head though.

Any errors in the Test Report?

#224 4 years ago

Could also check you have the latest ROM - I think it's 3.1.

Maybe if you have an earlier version you found a bug that has been fixed.

5 months later
#256 4 years ago

Yup, strip that wire and solder it back on.

1 week later
#264 4 years ago

My game doesn't have that plastic.

1 month later
#293 4 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

i have few extra side decals for Fastbreak. Also topper made by myself for garretswinning

Could you post some pics? I could be interested.

1 week later
#299 4 years ago

Heh, figures after I just moved my ColorDMD from Star Trek (since I'm selling it) to my Demo Man. Looks like DemoMan is going back to an orange DMD. Looks like the ROM is being released on Friday.

#323 4 years ago

Swapping over the ColorDMD LCD from Demo Man. Luckily I have a foam gasket I bought to use the ColorDMD with Star Trek pro - because NBA has the same issue where the screen cannot mount flush.

Not getting power from J138 though, so checking what's up with that.

#328 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Do you have a picture of how this is mounted? I like LCD better but if there is a space issue I may have to go LED

No issue with space fitting the LCD, but it appears to be set back from the clear plastic area of the speaker panel quite a bit because of the fix-mounted studs that NBA has. The foam gasket I have fixes that. This is a mounting kit for WPC though since I had originally bought it for The Shadow and I had a Stern mounting kit when I swapped it over in Star Trek. So not sure if you ordered a ColorDMD specifically for WPC95 if you'd have the set-back issue I have?

Right now though, trying to figure out why I get no power when connected to J138. The power cable is long enough to reach to Demo Man next to NBA. I plugged in the cable to J116 on there and get power just fine.

#332 4 years ago
Quoted from SewerUrchin:

I have the kit specifically listed for NBAFB (lcd). It fits just fine in the backbox but does sit back. It doesn't look bad at all, but I will get the gasket too. It will make it a cleaner install. No power problem on my J138 btw.

I do have the same mounting kit after checking the documentation on their site. Foam gasket works well, forget which Pinsider was selling them a while back. It was needed for Star Trek due to the angled speaker panel allowing a lot of light to bleed thru and it just looked ugly with the large gap.

I’ll get back to it later today when watching football and take video of no one else has posted one yet.

#336 4 years ago

Great, glad there’s a workaround. I can’t snip my posts because I tend to move around my colordmd and no idea if it will stay in NBA.

#337 4 years ago

All good here, no power from J138 was due to a blown fuse at F109. Need to download and install the code and I'll take some video and cycle thru the different LCD options.

#338 4 years ago

Here's some video of the LCD modes available.

#341 4 years ago
Quoted from Kredmore:

yup. I also noticed that if you have the LCD version, the screen is bigger at the top than the frame, so it rests against a piece of plastic lengthwise. That would need to be trimmed too.
Nice to see the color for NBA - thank you to ColorDMD.

No need to trim anything when using the LCD screen, fits just fine. This is what I installed the other day. The LCD screen has been taller than the speaker panel in all the games I’ve installed it in and it has fit. Shadow, Star Trek Pro, Demi Man, NBA, TFTC and a few others I can’t recall.

#343 4 years ago

Oh ok, I got what you are saying. You’re right, even with the standoffs clipped, it would still sit back since it’s taller than the speaker panel.

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Im so confused and having a hard time trying to decide led and lcd. I have a color led on my data east hook thats made by pin2dmd i believe. Biggest gripe i have with that is i have to reset the screen every damn time i turn it on.

I guess decide if you prefer dots or want to play around the with different modes available on the LCD screen. On some games, I do prefer the HiRES, SCAN or DOTSXL (prefer this on NBA). The LED screen is certainly brighter - I have the LED screen on my Baywatch and am very happy with the brightness and viewing angles. With the LCD, I'm not 100% happy with the brightness and viewing angles.

At my 6'4" height, the screen is a a bit washed out. But if I crouch down a bit, the black background looks more black than gray. If I was to buy a dedicated ColorDMD for NBA, it would be the LED screen for sure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pomc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nba-fastbreak-fanatics-club?tu=pomc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.