(Topic ID: 207804)

NAVL / STI: Breach of Contract Yet Again, Beware

By jzdziarski

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180309_172709 (resized).jpg
    unknown (resized).jpg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I know folks in this forum tend to rave about how great NAVL/CRST is, but beware their subcontractor, STI, has repeatedly screwed me on deliveries, shooting well past the promised due date by weeks. This time, STI flat out manufactured a story to NAVL about contacting me and my refusing to accept the shipment. The call never happened. Never even spoke to STI. When NAVL confronted them about it, they backpedaled quickly and tried to make up yet another story. My machines sit in their warehouse for weeks just a couple hours away. STI are by far the worst sleaze bags I've had to deal with in the freight business. I'm sure there will be a dozen people in here who have had "just fine" experiences, but so far all they've shown me has been unprofessional and reckless behavior. I would strongly recommend you find someone else if you're considering STI.

#2 6 years ago

Call Fast Eddie next time!

#3 6 years ago

They are about the same as dealing with any other freight company. My last couple of deliveries have been very hard to schedule delivery. I just go pick it up at the facility if they keep dragging it out. White glove service is going to add some extra time, so i just deal with it. We are fortunate enough here in Nashville to have a extremely nice crew of guys who work with STI/Pro Transfer that make it easier. The hobby has also exploded, so they are delivering games all over the place.

#4 6 years ago

delays I can accept- flat out lying to the customer, lying to NAVL, and making excuses I won't accept

#5 6 years ago

I've shipped 3 pins from the US to Canada now via YRC and schedule pick up at the local terminal. Never had a problem and decent rates. If you've been screwed multiple times by STI/NAVL - it's time to shop around.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from jzdziarski:

delays I can accept- flat out lying to the customer, lying to NAVL, and making excuses I won't accept

I think it really comes down to the local crew they use. Nashville just happens to have some good people.

#7 6 years ago

I have used STI 4 times and so far so good.
    Twice with incoming games from an online purchase and twice for outgoing games at the buyers request.
    They were certainly not speedy by any stretch, but all four times the games did arrive without damage eventually.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I think it really comes down to the local crew they use.

I agree that this is the critical factor. I've shipped 50+ games (both from sellers and to buyers) via STI over the last 10 years and have only had an issue with them once and it was resolved expediently. However, I have noticed that the quality of the protective wrapping effort on games coming to me can vary widely - which points to the local outfit that handled it for each particular seller.

I'm fortunate that STI's local company for me (Air Van Moving in Tacoma, WA) has always provided excellent service with games delivered to me as well as wrapping games that I've shipped out!

#9 6 years ago

I've shipped several games with STI/NAVL recently and I watch the tracking details. Once it lands locally, I ask my STI contact for local vendor phone number and I call THEM to arrange delivery. I find this accelerates the process by several days.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

I've shipped several games with STI/NAVL recently and I watch the tracking details. Once it lands locally, I ask my STI contact for local vendor phone number and I call THEM to arrange delivery. I find this accelerates the process by several days.

That is an excellent idea.
    One I will need to remember for future reference.

#11 6 years ago

I shipped out a pin a few weeks ago and the buyer still hasn’t received his pin yet. First they blamed the holidays, then they blamed the weather. Lots of delays mean frustration for the buyer.

#12 6 years ago

Most of the freight companies in Canada don't want goods staying at their depots. They actually want to charge $25 a day storage if you don't pick up in 24 hours. I use UPS & they have disposed of my products, & made up stories also in Florida. So it might be just certain ones that are bad.

#13 6 years ago

I used STI once

Won’t ever do it again

Every day for 3 days they called me to confirm “delivery tomorrow” then no show.

On the 4th day they were able to deliver & said if I couldn’t be home they’d return the pins

#14 6 years ago

After using Chris Fox for California shipping, I'll never use anyone else. Cheaper than STI, faster, and very careful with the pins.

#15 6 years ago

Never have had a problem with STI. I always call Michelle to arrange shipping. Think I've had about 13 pins shipped without incident.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from jzdziarski:

I know folks in this forum tend to rave about how great NAVL/CRST

CRST: Cedar Rapids Steel Transport.

#17 6 years ago

I believe STI is owned by CRST.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from mittens:

I've shipped 3 pins from the US to Canada now via YRC and schedule pick up at the local terminal. Never had a problem and decent rates. If you've been screwed multiple times by STI/NAVL - it's time to shop around.

What's yrc?

#19 6 years ago

Another LTL freight carrier

#21 6 years ago

Each shipment gets worse and worse with Michelle and STI, NO WAY I pay to use them again. If a buyer wants to use them, I'm OK cause it's at their expense/risk and I can fight their shady local reps. The last 2 pickups they have tried to not to preschedule and call me and say "hey we're going to be there in 30 minutes, have it ready" to which I politely reply "Sorry, I'm not at home best of luck charging the buyer for a pickup you haven't scheduled". In both instances, it has taken them 7+ business days to formally schedule a pickup.

They also pulled some real BS with my Strange Science I had shipped and I'm still waiting on Michelle to send my claims form which I've requested multiple times. At this point, she's dodged it long enough that I don't think I can even file a claim. So, I finally just gave up!

BUY LOCAL, SAVE SHIPPING, FORCE STI TO GET BETTER AT WHAT THEY DO! My voice doesn't scream loud enough but, I can speak with my wallet and my voice on pinside!

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I think it really comes down to the local crew they use. Nashville just happens to have some good people.

This. Dallas guys are pretty good

#23 6 years ago

Ok, well thanks for posting, at least I learned something new, we can use another vendor for NAVL. YRC (Yellow trucking).... I've heard of some using Fastenal.
    Anyone use somebody else?

1. YRC
    2. Fastenal

#24 6 years ago

Yellow Roadway Corporation.

#25 6 years ago

I just used STI yesterday, pickup in Texas, to Ohio. Never had a problem before, good Columbus crew. We will see if anything has changed. Delivery 26th.

#26 6 years ago

We have a game coming via Fastenal, it's our 1st time having a pin shipped, so we will see how it goes.

I know that they don't deliver it to your house though, you have it sent to the location closest to you, and go pick it up when it arrives. It has to be crated for them to accept it. The cost to ship through them was very reasonable.

We had also considered Uship. You put what you want shipped, and the origin and destination on their website, and people bid on your job.

#27 6 years ago

I had problem here in Rockford area, they have new contractors and is not the same any more, was scheduled to deliver my pins. I called to make sure so I have someone at the house, no answered the phone at all, I called Michelle and she got hold of the company and they told her they where to busy to answering the phone. Finally they called me day later and a week later scheduling delivery btwn 5pm 9pm got to my house 10pm. The driver couldn't even back up to my driveway, almost destroyed my basketball hoops runned into my yard, very painful, no sure if use again.

#28 6 years ago

This is why I go get my games myself. Don't have to worry about/deal with any middleman, and I get the game WHEN I WANT IT. Sure, might be a 5-8 hour drive each way, but I know when I'm getting my game, and I know what condition it is before it moves at all. Those peaces of mind are worth it to me.

#29 6 years ago

I've used Michelle tons of times. Have one coming to me now, haven't used them in over a year so we'll see if anything has changed.

I once had some minor cabinet damage to the bottom of an ACDC Prem. The process was long but they did come thru with my claim and eventually received a check.

You guys sure complain about delays a lot. I was expecting pics of destroyed games or games with forklift holes.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

Each shipment gets worse and worse with Michelle and STI, NO WAY I pay to use them again. If a buyer wants to use them, I'm OK cause it's at their expense/risk and I can fight their shady local reps. The last 2 pickups they have tried to not to preschedule and call me and say "hey we're going to be there in 30 minutes, have it ready" to which I politely reply "Sorry, I'm not at home best of luck charging the buyer for a pickup you haven't scheduled". In both instances, it has taken them 7+ business days to formally schedule a pickup.
    They also pulled some real BS with my Strange Science I had shipped and I'm still waiting on Michelle to send my claims form which I've requested multiple times. At this point, she's dodged it long enough that I don't think I can even file a claim. So, I finally just gave up!
    BUY LOCAL, SAVE SHIPPING, FORCE STI TO GET BETTER AT WHAT THEY DO! My voice doesn't scream loud enough but, I can speak with my wallet and my voice on pinside!

I got my claim form online and filed it through the email address. When they crashed my game I itemized everything it needed in a spreadsheet with links and values. I got a labor estimate from a local full time tech and emailed all of that in. They paid the full amount.

#31 6 years ago

I have never had a problem with Michelle at STI setting up the shipping. BUT once the order leaves her hands, there have been times when the dispatcher calls me to say what day it will be delivered/picked up on and I get a call from the driver a day earlier or later about a different delivery is very frustrating. The same driver comes here all the time and I have told him the problems with the dispatcher correctly giving the delivery day. We solved it by him and I calling each other to confirm when he is coming. Michelle is not the problem nor is the driver, it is the dispatcher in my area.

#32 6 years ago

Long story short-it all depends on the local terminal, regardless of carrier. All it takes is one asshole dispatcher who doesn't care about customer service. Some of these guys feel that unless it's a regular customer, they will not ship anything unless there something close in the route because it's too inefficient. I have one supplier whose carrier takes three-four weeks to ship something from Toledo to MA. And they lie to the supplier about it. Needless to say, I use my own carrier.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

This is why I go get my games myself. Don't have to worry about/deal with any middleman, and I get the game WHEN I WANT IT. Sure, might be a 5-8 hour drive each way, but I know when I'm getting my game, and I know what condition it is before it moves at all. Those peaces of mind are worth it to me.

Do u REALLY think that is always an option? Logistics prevent people from going to get their games(or ANY object) themselves. How far are you willing to travel before shipping is a viable option? (If u say that you will only buy locally then that really don't add to the thread.)

#34 6 years ago

I’m about four hours from their terminal in Raleigh so unfortunately picking it up isn’t really an option. I offered to even pay one of their drivers to get it here this weekend (which is still late), but am told it will still probably be at least another week and they’re just not sure who will even be able to bring it. Never again.

Crazy how it’s going to end up taking three weeks just to move the thing ten hours.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Do u REALLY think that is always an option? Logistics prevent people from going to get their games(or ANY object) themselves. How far are you willing to travel before shipping is a viable option? (If u say that you will only buy locally then that really don't add to the thread.)

Sure do. I drive 8+ hours each way for each game. When I lived in Ohio, I traveled to Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and to the border of New Jersey. Every machine I've bought has come from a Pinsider, so I could practically give you the names of each Pinsider from each of those states who I have traveled to to get my games.

Hell, WeirPinball even commented on how he is appreciative of my efforts of driving for each game I get (a tongue and cheek way of saying I am nuts for how far I drive for each game) right here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-for-sale-in-ohio-right-now/page/42#post-3390868

Since I've lived here in Florida, I drove to Louisiana and back - 10 hours each way - for CFTBL.

So, yep, driving each way to get my game(s) works just fine for me. Unless I'm dealing with GEX/Tilt/Gap/LSoG, etc where insurance on the game keeps my wallet safe, I'm making the drive.

#36 6 years ago

So ten hours each way!! Yikes, that's a lot! I just meant sometimes there is no choice and by me living in Canada I'm always curious of the challenges to shipping pins.. sounds like it's a coin flip each time if its gonna be a good experience or not! Ten hours don't seem so bad when u know ur getting your pin!

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I've driven as far as San Diego and Temecula from Detroit to pick up machines. Yeah, I'm weird....

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I've driven as far as San Diego and Temecula from Detroit to pick up machines. Yeah, I'm weird....

Not weird... not weird at all.
    You see what you want and 'ya go get it.
    Wish I could do the same.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Not weird... not weird at all.
    You see what you want and 'ya go get it.
    Wish I could do the same.

He's weird alright hehe! But I'm in the crazy section as last pin purchase was 725 mile round trip for a $1200 Gottlieb

#40 6 years ago

Just called to tell me they can't locate it in the warehouse- how do you lose a 300lb pinball table?

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from jzdziarski:

Just called to tell me they can't locate it in the warehouse- how do you lose a 300lb pinball table?

A. Dui Pyle lost my TBL for 3 days after it left Cointaker. Fortunately Melissa beat them up until they located it.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I couldn't agree more. Not only the local delivery guys, but the local dispatcher too. Here in the Twin Cities area, they're all fantastic. The dispatcher is pleasant and always calls the day before delivery or pick up and the delivery guys are the same way. Nice guys who actually do what they say they're going to do, like call 30 minutes before they come so I can make sure I'm home.

As with any delivery service, it's only as good as the people you have to deal with and I guess that can be a crap shoot in some areas.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

A. Dui Pyle lost my TBL for 3 days after it left Cointaker. Fortunately Melissa beat them up until they located it.

Sounds like shitty service from A.Dui Pyle

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Sure do. I drive 8+ hours each way for each game. When I lived in Ohio, I traveled to Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and to the border of New Jersey. Every machine I've bought has come from a Pinsider, so I could practically give you the names of each Pinsider from each of those states who I have traveled to to get my games.
    Hell, WeirPinball even commented on how he is appreciative of my efforts of driving for each game I get (a tongue and cheek way of saying I am nuts for how far I drive for each game) right here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-for-sale-in-ohio-right-now/page/42#post-3390868
    Since I've lived here in Florida, I drove to Louisiana and back - 10 hours each way - for CFTBL.
    So, yep, driving each way to get my game(s) works just fine for me. Unless I'm dealing with GEX/Tilt/Gap/LSoG, etc where insurance on the game keeps my wallet safe, I'm making the drive.

How many children do you have?

I’ve got two & life is short so I’m unlikely to squander my time on driving.

To some folks time & leisure is the ultimate currency so shipping is required.

I agree with you however that it is a risk. One that I too try to avoid.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

Sounds like shitty service from A.Dui Pyle

It did stink

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

How many children do you have?
    I’ve got two & life is short so I’m unlikely to squander my time on driving.
    To some folks time & leisure is the ultimate currency so shipping is required.
    I agree with you however that it is a risk. One that I too try to avoid.

I am the bonus parent of a 5 yr old who I am calling my son as I wed his mom later this year.

I love dead beat dads that screw and run. Gives those who have their act, life, and shit together the opportunity to make someone else's life better, as well as their child.

I waited 1 month to go get CFTBL because I had to coordinate the timing around when her son would be with his "real father". Guy has 3 kids, each with a different woman, no job, and is a "dependapotomous" to a reserve member that he is now married to. While we were getting CFTBL, we did a FaceTime video chat to her son. His real father was playing video games, making his son sit there and watch him.

So, yep, I work my schedule around my adopted son. Service before self.

Sorry to be preachy. I just loathe people who screw, have a kid, and run from the responsibility and consequences of their actions.

#47 6 years ago

I have used Michelle/STI 6 times without incident beyond some delays.

For me, shipping is a necessity. I am 6 hours away from the closest big city (Denver). I lose thousands of dollars for every day I don't work so weekdays are out. I also have 5 young children and don't want to spend my weekends driving. Also, while I consider myself a safe driver (I've never been in an accident in 22 years), driving hundreds or thousands of miles seems like an unnecessary risk for a pinball machine.

So "cash on the glass" sounds nice but isn't a reality for everyone.

#48 6 years ago

Of the dozens of times I've used them,the most recent has been the worst.
    After taking off work to have the show up first thing in the morning they didn't call, answer their phones,call back or show up. Took 2 days to talk to anyone. Swore they would show up the next day at said time, no call no show again.
    3rd time I told them I refused to take off work to have them screw me again and they could show up at after 4:30.
    They came at 3 and were pissed I wasn't there.
    Came home at 4:30 to 2 guys sleeping in my driveway.

#49 6 years ago

I miss some guy named Dennis. If I remember correctly, the last game I had delivered I left an envelope and some soda/water the garage fridge and when I got home that day my new Elvira was there.

My favorite was several years earlier. Oshkosh Ron parked in the middle of my two lane residential street. Since it was a nice, quiet street he emptied the semi and rearranged his truck for his next pickups and deliveries. There must have been 50 games spread out all over the road while he tried to tie names and games to deliveries. Took him a few hours and pissed most of my retiree-aged neighbors. The truck was much too tall, and took down tree branches as he drove down the road.

Ron delivered nationwide $100 per game in 1990.

#50 6 years ago

Shipped about 9 pinballs and arcade games with STI/NAVL and Michelle's newest company without a hitch.
    80 percent of the time same crew arrives and exactly on time and always call me the day before to set up time and call me again within 45 minutes of delivery time. ALL machines were packed professionally and arrived safely.

I do tip the drivers a small bit for carrying the machine around from the basement.

Great service so far in the past few years....

p

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/navl-sti-breach-of-contract-yet-again-beware and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.