(Topic ID: 93463)

NAVL rate increase effective June 1st

By aberdeentp

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Had a bit of a sticker shop when I was told the delivery charges from Indiana to Colorado was $413. I was told that NAVL raised their rates effective June 1st on average 5%. They said it was the first time in years for an increase, though I seem to recall a few years back they also started to add a fuel surcharge when the gasoline prices jumped. Anyway, something to consider and perhaps look more closely at alternatives.

#2 9 years ago

I shipped a game using UPS freight earlier this year and it was about $200 cheaper than NAVL.

#3 9 years ago

Last game I had shipped by NAVL was April 12. $430.00 from SF to St. Louis.

#5 9 years ago

How was UPS freight?

#6 9 years ago

Sti and navl are the same

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Last game I had shipped by NAVL was April 12. $430.00 from SF to St. Louis.

STI.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

Yep.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

How was UPS freight?

Great experience. I had to drive an hour to the nearest center to pick it up but way better than going to New Mexico from Indiana. Was there in 3-5 days from what I remember.

#10 9 years ago

I still cannot understand why people insist on using NAVL when there are better (much better) alternatives out there. I've been crowing about uship.com for years-I've used them to ship every single pin, video piano & larger auto parts that i usually ship. Never had an issue....

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

I still cannot understand why people insist on using NAVL when there are better (much better) alternatives out there. I've been crowing about uship.com for years-I've used them to ship every single pin, video piano & larger auto parts that i usually ship. Never had an issue....

I tried using them last time and the cost was similar to NAVL.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I tried using them last time and the cost was similar to NAVL.

My one experience with uship was good; I think it's a question of how well your particular route works for a driver that makes uship a bit of a crapshoot.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from aberdeentp:

Had a bit of a sticker shop when I was told the delivery charges from Indiana to Colorado was $413. I was told that NAVL raised their rates effective June 1st on average 5%. They said it was the first time in years for an increase, though I seem to recall a few years back they also started to add a fuel surcharge when the gasoline prices jumped. Anyway, something to consider and perhaps look more closely at alternatives.

What was your game valued at? That makes a dif.

#14 9 years ago

NAVL is a mover and everyone else is a shipper… big difference in handling.

If you're going to crate it or strap it to a pallet and pack it well I guess it doesn't matter but one nice thing with NAVL is that you can ship with the legs on...

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

What was your game valued at? That makes a dif.

I use a low value, usually $1300 or so, when the two times I had damage a few hundred easily covered it, I guess if they lose it I would be screwed.

Do most of the alternative shippers require the pinball to be shipped on a pallet? I used someone name I believe Cargo Air or freight, I had to go out to their terminal to pick it up and I think it was on a pallet, but it was a lot cheaper. NAVL overall take such good care of the pinballs they ship, but I know if you get a crappy local contractor they might slap a little shrinkwrap on it and call it good. Generally in the past the only time it was over $400 through NAVL was when I had a pinball shipped from the east coast or back in the hills with the moonshiners.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from aberdeentp:

Had a bit of a sticker shop when I was told the delivery charges from Indiana to Colorado was $413.

What's a sticker shop?

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

What's a sticker shop?

A place that sells stickers silly!

#18 9 years ago

Got an estimate of nearly $500 for a machine NY to GA.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

STI is a high-value shipping company, formerly part of NAVL. You will get different quotes if you call each company.

#20 9 years ago

My worst experience ever was with STI. I think it took me 17 emails before I could finally get on with getting my game shipped.

I repeat....17...... emails.

The original quote from AZ to OH was in the $400 realm. Ok, fine. Then I find out that there is a possibility of having to make the pickup around 5:30 - 6:00 pm - half an hour to an hour after "normal business hours".

I was told that will be "$500 dollars" to which I clarified "Is that $500 firm or additional...?" thinking that was a stupid question - nope - it was a GREAT question - it was $500 ADDITIONAL for up to one hour after normal business hours.

They wanted to charge me $900+ for shipping for picking up a game around 5:00pm - 6:00pm. BWHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH..... I told them that was nearly half of what I was paying for the game.

Even though I did not get burned, it's like taking your car in for something like an oil change and then being told you need a new transmission. If you're going to burn me, or even try to burn me, you're getting a one-time shot at it, then we're done.

R&L Shipping was way better. It was a lil tricky, but after 3 days, we had a price settled and all was good.

NAVL/STI is starting to remind me of when CDs were made. Yes, they were good for their time, but now.... no thanks.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

What's a sticker shop?

A place that sells stickers silly!

yea, what's wrong with you? What's the matter, you never see a man go into a sticker shop before?

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

My worst experience ever was with STI. I think it took me 17 emails before I could finally get on with getting my game shipped.

I don't get it, I never correspond with STI/NAVL via email, they are easily reached by phone and the girls are very pleasant and helpful. Often the delays are caused by the game being located in a remote area and only serviced once a week, or you will get local contractors that don't really give a hoot, or the person shipping doesn't have his act together and causes delays, and even worse a $50 trip charge.

with R&L does it have to be on a pallet?

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from aberdeentp:

I don't get it, I never correspond with STI/NAVL via email, they are easily reached by phone and the girls are very pleasant and helpful. Often the delays are caused by the game being located in a remote area and only serviced once a week, or you will get local contractors that don't really give a hoot, or the person shipping doesn't have his act together and causes delays, and even worse a $50 trip charge.
    with R&L does it have to be on a pallet?

Reached by phone??? I would have had an easier time throwing a rock to the moon and hitting the flag we left and the rock settling in Neil Armstrong's footprint before I reached anyone there by phone. Took me about 3 days worth of random calls to finally get Michelle - while I was at work no less - and I told myself "One time......"

I can't say "yes" to the pallet question. I can say that I did learn if it is to be on a pallet, the game cannot hang over the edge of the pallet at all.

That was fine with me. My personal preference for a game to be shipped now is pallet/solid strap down of a game. Rexman10 and Bjoechamp - two Pinsiders I bought T3 and HS2 from - are SOLID pallet shippers.

#24 9 years ago

You are e-mailing Michelle Bianchi or calling her cell/landline correct?

If you just call STI direct you don't get Michelle's discounted arcade division pricing.

#25 9 years ago

this is ridiculous. i paid the same via Michelle @ STI recently and when the guys showed up its like i was having to coach their movements.

"now lets be careful through this doorway. i don't think its on that set of rollers." ect

bottom line. these guys were effing idiots. I'm really apprehensive to send anymore work STI/NAVL's way knowing that they have to use 3rd/4th party companies to actually do the work.

need more people like don from pinballs on the move.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

..I would have had an easier time throwing a rock to the moon and hitting the flag we left and the rock settling in Neil Armstrong's footprint before I reached anyone there by phone.

Actually, Neil Armstrong's footprint isn't on the moon:

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Reached by phone??? I would have had an easier time throwing a rock to the moon and hitting the flag we left and the rock settling in Neil Armstrong's footprint before I reached anyone there by phone. Took me about 3 days worth of random calls to finally get Michelle.

Not my experience at all. Each time I called (on two separate shipments) I was able to get Michelle on the phone. Price quoted was what they showed on the COD order when the machine showed up.

Yes, the local guys were a bit fumbly... but they got the machines here in one piece.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I do not know if you know this or not but STI has a phone and if you press two someone will answer. It might just be faster for you than an e-mail. Hope that helps next time.

#29 9 years ago

I e-mail Michelle - that way you have a thread of the whole transaction start to finish. Calling her cell works too.

#30 9 years ago

It's the never had an issue part that's a problem. No matter what shipper you go with, there is always a chance that your game will not make it okay. NAVL has a long history of paying when they screw up. Sometimes it can be a hassle, but they always take care of things.

When you have a problem, and when they actually pay an insurance claim, not this pennies per pound BS, then I'll be a lot more interested.

Quoted from CubeSnake:

#31 9 years ago

Many dozens of games shipped with Michelle. Never had a problem reaching her by phone or e-mail.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Reached by phone??? I would have had an easier time throwing a rock to the moon and hitting the flag we left and the rock settling in Neil Armstrong's footprint before I reached anyone there by phone. Took me about 3 days worth of random calls to finally get Michelle - while I was at work no less - and I told myself "One time......"

then you must not have had the right phone number, I've called numerous times, unless busy, they've always answered, never have a problem reaching by phone. It is never a problem for me, so I think you need the right phone number to begin with, nothing random about it
    1-800-959-8880 extension 2

Quoted from joegeno:

bottom line. these guys were effing idiots. I'm really apprehensive to send anymore work STI/NAVL's way knowing that they have to use 3rd/4th party companies to actually do the work.

that is the local contractors and yes sometimes you get the three stooges.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Both.

If you'd like the emails, they can gladly be produced.

Guys, I had her direct work line. I could nearly quote her voice mail message.

I only share my experience to inform others that "It's not always roses." There are other options, and boy did I investigate them.

Look, glad you all had great success; I didn't. I used R&L, got my game way faster, and paid less.

Cheers.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from aberdeentp:

sometimes you get the three stooges

I would really like it if my local NAVL/STI started using two guys again-three(three stooges) would be amazing-lol. My last two machines have been gimped out of the truck by one guy-typically dragged across the floor for a couple feet before I freak out and jump in the truck myself to help out. NAVL is pricey but it is the only way to ship with legs on without hassling with a pallet. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet I guess if you want your machine delivered in one piece?

#35 9 years ago

hoov said:

Quoted from NPO:

Both.
    If you'd like the emails, they can gladly be produced.
    Guys, I had her direct work line. I could nearly quote her voice mail message.
    I only share my experience to inform others that "It's not always roses." There are other options, and boy did I investigate them.
    Look, glad you all had great success; I didn't. I used R&L, got my game way faster, and paid less.
    Cheers.

I was asking the op if he had e-mailed or called

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

I was asking the op if he had e-mailed or called

always by phone. The last time I had a problem I was working with Stephanie and she did a bang up job coordinating between the local terminal, myself and the person the machine was being picked up at. She waived the $50 trip charge for me giving me the benefit of the doubt for conflicting accounts of the other two parties.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

It's the never had an issue part that's a problem. No matter what shipper you go with, there is always a chance that your game will not make it okay. NAVL has a long history of paying when they screw up. Sometimes it can be a hassle, but they always take care of things.
    When you have a problem, and when they actually pay an insurance claim, not this pennies per pound BS, then I'll be a lot more interested.

i do not agree. while using a guy like don from "pins on the move", may not be the fastest way to ship. it will always be handled by a "fellow pinsider". IE someone that has an interest in the hobby itself. not saying i won't use a company like STI again, but my recent experience will minimize the use.

#38 9 years ago

With all these price increases we may need to resurrect Buffalo Shipping

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/navl-rate-increase-effective-june-1st and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.