Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I started a petition on change.org for the U.S. Senate to recognize a NATIONAL PINBALL DAY on August 1st in honor of the birthday of Roger Sharpe, who's crucial testimony in 1976 shaped the destiny of pinball for generations. Please sign the petition and share it around. Let's make it happen this year in time for Pinburgh!!

https://www.change.org/p/u-s-senate-national-pinball-day?fbclid=IwAR1PFzKAJ-ZqiDIBO7Gm4Dw_4oC2ZxCaFwIsdcstN8hr-465s1fsB7WLyrw

#2 5 years ago

I signed. I was number three on the list.

#3 5 years ago

Why his birthday instead of the day of his testimony? Or the day of the verdict?

#4 5 years ago

84 and climbing

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from TOpinhead:

I started a petition on change.org for the U.S. Senate

So it takes a Canadian to petition for a U.S National Pinball Day, Eh?

Very good of you to take the initiative!

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Why his birthday instead of the day of his testimony? Or the day of the verdict?

Because even Roger Sharpe himself doesn't even know the exact date the hearing took place or the date the ruling actually took effect. I spoke to him and best he knows it was in early April. Besides, why not his birthday??? (which coincides with Pinburgh almost every year!)

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

So it takes a Canadian to petition for a U.S National Pinball Day, Eh?
    Very good of you to take the initiative!

Hey, somebody's got to do it! I only hope to "get the pinball rolling" it's going to take a LOT of help and support from my fellow American friends to actually petition the US Senate for a National Pinball Day.

Thanks!

#8 5 years ago

250 signed...nice

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from TOpinhead:

. Besides, why not his birthday???

Because Aug 1 (his birthday) already commemorates Roger Sharpe.

Personally I'd rather the day commemorate an event than a living person.

Perhaps the day when Mayor La Guardia declared pinball illegal, adding a little irony to the holiday.

If it had to be a person, I would think Steve Kordek would be deserving of such a posthumous honor.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from TOpinhead:

Because even Roger Sharpe himself doesn't even know the exact date the hearing took place or the date the ruling actually took effect. I spoke to him and best he knows it was in early April. Besides, why not his birthday??? (which coincides with Pinburgh almost every year!)

Pinball was legalized in NYC on May 13 1976 https://www.nytimes.com/1976/05/14/archives/council-approves-pinball-measure-vote-would-end-ban-ordered-by-la.html

#12 5 years ago

Let's not fuss around here. August is a great time to be reminded to play pinball.

#13 5 years ago

Although I like picking the date it was declared illegal, this date is a better choice.

4 months later
    #15 4 years ago

We're now at 800 signatures for the petition for a NATIONAL PINBALL DAY. I'm absolutely flabbergasted but... do we dare even dream to get to 1k??? I'm already so amazed and thankful by how much support we've gathered around this. THANK YOU ALL so much for contributing your signature and for sharing this to the rest of the pinball community and beyond to your family and friends.

https://www.change.org/p/u-s-senate-national-pinball-day

#16 4 years ago

We're one name closer.

1 month later
    #17 4 years ago

100% agree we need this day! 1 day to go?

#18 4 years ago

It's at 1,399 and you can watch the counter go up really fast. We'll be at 1,500 very soon.

1 year later
    #19 3 years ago

So, what's the latest on this?

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooke:

So, what's the latest on this?

Well the US House of Representatives has some more pressing matters at hand right now, but we are pursuing other options to raise the awareness of NATIONAL PINBALL DAY in the meantime! We have over 1,500 people who have signed the petition, so it's great to see so much support!

#21 3 years ago

Signed and shared!

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from crujones4life:

Signed and shared!

Thanks! Much appreciated!!!

#23 3 years ago

Just signed

11 months later
    #24 2 years ago

Nothing on Google news about this

Maybe it needs a marketing push, maybe Kaneda can give an advice.

#25 2 years ago

Just did my part

#26 2 years ago

Signed

#27 2 years ago

My microwave sounds like it's arc welding. I hope the rest of my National Pinball Day goes better.

LTG : )

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/national-pinball-day-august-1st?hl=bud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.