• Latest reply 7 days ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you reached Champion Challenge?”

• No, but I will some day! 62 votes
    60%
  • Yes, and it was like kissing Danica Patrick with Journey playing in the background 32 votes
    31%
  • Yes, pretty good but could have been better 7 votes
    7%
  • Yes, and I was disappointed 2 votes
    2%

(103 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4505 (resized).jpeg
395318953_302141939305935_9197749323100653698_n (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_7828 (resized).jpg
IMG_7830 (resized).jpg
Nascar-Pinball-Machine-9 (resized).jpg
20230712_194745 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0531 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trueno92.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1179 3 years ago

Possibly looking at a Nascar... anything common that fails or wears out? Would you guys recommend it?

2 weeks later
#1193 3 years ago

anyone have any luck with new or reprint apron stickers?

my pf and cab are nice, but for some reason those apron stickers look faded or something..

#1194 3 years ago

anyone thinking of changing their translite? ive NOT been working on something and it will NOT be printed on translite material and it will NOT be offered and you can NOT PM me on the pricing.

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 3.42.45 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-03-30 at 3.42.45 PM (resized).png
#1204 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

That does NOT look great. And I am NOT sorry my Nascar is gone and would have purchased one for my game.

NO thank-you for your compliments and i would NOT post a larger image up if someone asked but i've sent it to the printers and hope to pick it up on the weekend.

#1209 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

That does NOT look great. And I am NOT sorry my Nascar is gone and would have purchased one for my game.

Now NOT taking orders. PM for details.

Printed on mylar backlit material, double pass to display color correctly when lit.

It looks a touch dark when not lit, but i think thats all lightbox prints.

To give everyone an idea of how it looks, its beside standard led lit games. My nascar has an LED tube in the backbox.

Screenshot_20210402-193658_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210402-193658_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210402-195927_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210402-195927_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210402-200022_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210402-200022_Gallery (resized).jpg
#1215 3 years ago

Ive worked on a few pins from em, ss, sys11, wpc and this is my first semi modern dmd stern..

Im hoping i never need to tackle that garage mech - ever!!!!

I pity having to change over the game to LEDs... when did pins change over to that wierd plasticky clip bulb holder housing? They seem super fragile.

1 week later
#1222 3 years ago

If anyone is having trouble with that center scoop firing stdm, make sure the bolts holding the assy to the pf are tightened up before making any adjustments.

Helped mine out.

#1224 3 years ago

Looks solid!! I cant get enough of playing mine.

Just figured out that the spinners and the captive ball control which mode is awarded... go figure.

Can anyone reliably tell me that their diverter is smart enough to allow them to alternate ramps? Mine usually goes to the left flipper almost all the time unless
1. Lock is lit
2. Collect race letter on left ramp is lit.

But thats about it.... anyone else?

1 week later
#1228 2 years ago

Curious if anyone here has had any trouble with the garage not lowering? I ran it in test and the switches activate properly, and the coil does attempt to fire, but its almost like the pulse is too short? The horizontally mounted coil will pull in the angled plunger most of the time, but there are odd times where in game it will try to pull this in a few times and eventually give up. I hear the coil trying to pull in the angled plunger and the plunger is totally clean and free of any debris or residue.

any ideas? anyone else have this issue? IN test mode garage up/down, the up works 100% of the time but the down will attempt to fire and sometimes pulls in, letting the garage fall, or it pulses and fails. If i try again, it seems to work correctly, but intermittently.

diodes for all the switches look good and the switches themselves test fine.

#1230 2 years ago

Thanks grumpy, the coil stop bracket is the upgraded unit.

Just not sure why its firing but not registering sometimes, either frlm switch or from test,

Btw i havent forgotten about that translite - toronto has been on covid lockdown....

Also, switch 39 tests good, if garage is up, i can trigger 39 and it will fire the garage release coil without any issues

EDIT: maybr i screwed around with it enough last night cuz its working fine from what i can tell so far.

Will update.

#1232 2 years ago

Played a few longish games.. no issues thankfully.

I am pretty sure its not mechanical since everything is free, clean and moving nicely. Will update!

I am down a left flipper bushing tho....

#1233 2 years ago

Corrected, down both bushings.

If any of you have a guillotine fetish, i put my phone inside the game while running the garage up and down test.

Interesting as the raise coil actually engages for a fraction of a second while the release coil pulls in.

I did some digging and Grumpy is right in that there were changes but , From the firmware changelogs, this appears to be normal operation up starting at v4.00

CPU Release Version 4.00
Date October 25, 2005
File nascpua.400 (American release, checksum $32FF)
nascpul.400 (Spanish release, checksum $F1FF)

– Improved the driver for the car mechanism to prevent wear on the
release coil latch.
– Improved and more efficient firing of lower track exit diverter.
– Better compensation when the Test Car switch is broken. Modes will
start properly now.

#1235 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That is part of the changes when using the updated Rom chip.

Woah now, i did not see that in the Changelog.

Im on 4.20 tho

#1238 2 years ago

Nice job!!! I was just looking at ideas to dress up the diverter as a flag tower earlier today...

Stacking modes like test car and speed shots and multiball all at the same time is pretty satisfying.

More details on your test car replacement?!

#1241 2 years ago
Quoted from Guydudebreaux:

It’s a 1:43 die cast, with Jeff Gordon because you know, bash Jeff Gordon! My buddy took a half inch thick piece of acrylic and cut it to shape then routed down the inside for the car to sit in. That thick of material isn’t bad to screw into so it just mounts back in. Honestly, it works perfectly. And having that piece work great and look good is awesome. I did a full tear down and rebuild of this machine though. Replaced all the switches, polished the forms, the works. It took forever, but it looks and plays amazing! #worthit

Id love to upgrade the car on my game.

Even if someone just came out with a sticker skin to wrap the car, id be fine with that.

I was even thinking of making it a building and the car goes up into it when the garage is open.

#1242 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Id love to upgrade the car on my game.
Even if someone just came out with a sticker skin to wrap the car, id be fine with that.
I was even thinking of making it a building and the car goes up into it when the garage is open.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1243 2 years ago

And some of us dont want to bash on toyotas

#1245 2 years ago

At least something that looks more like a car.

And less like a bar of soap...

#1247 2 years ago

Anyone have an led ocd board in their nascar? Any videos?

#1250 2 years ago
Quoted from Alaskanzen:

No vids but the ledocd boards in this era of stern are imho required and amazing.

I notice nascar has a lot of nice bulb fade effects and half lit bulbs to make it look like sequenced animations... im not sure what other games utilize these effects on dmd games... i dont think wpc era games did this.. it was either on, or flash or off...

#1251 2 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

Had car replaced on mine
[quoted image]

I really like the orange bands on your game. Tasteful touch.

Ill eventually figure out the car on mine.. until then ill get some decals done..

#1252 2 years ago

Just to let you guys know i closed out taking orders and will be shipping a few out this coming week.

I have a couple extras that are unclaimed so if you are considering a new translite for your nascar, pm me for more details.

Thanks for the comments on it!
20210404_221947 (resized).jpg20210404_221947 (resized).jpg

#1254 2 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Have on on the one at my house, night and day difference, with some of the older games you can get away without them but for some reason Stern fliker like crazy without them.

I notice a slight flicker when they are on half brightness, with the fade effects mainly... i am in the waiting game as its making its way crossing the boarder...

#1255 2 years ago

Got to both wizard modes

And fumbled them..

#1256 2 years ago

Posting this as its 5yrs old.. if anyone has an extra, let me know.

Its a decal that soapman had made to wrap the vehicle.

Screenshot_20210515-230008_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210515-230008_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1259 2 years ago

anyone else sometimes have their ball caught caught up right here? (yellow circle)

#1261 2 years ago

Pops operate great and snappy as u mentioned, skirts are free as a feather.

Ill check the rubber

#1263 2 years ago

Not my pic, but i will make sure that rubber goes on tight.

Insert magnum joke here*

#1267 2 years ago

Glass cutters can do it. Just need to provide dimensions. I know a Dino Zorbas handles Toronto.. it probably wouldnt survive the shipping....

#1269 2 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I ended up having Lowe’s cut me a piece. Obviously it’s not tempered, but for $13, it’ll work.

It will be worth it

And wow lowes eh damn thats cheap.

#1271 2 years ago

Love it!! It looks great!!

#1272 2 years ago

If anyone has a Last Action Hero in their line up, ive stumbled upon some art for that one too.

20210531_214922_resized (resized).jpg20210531_214922_resized (resized).jpg
#1274 2 years ago

Make sure to tell the new owner about us! Its a fun pin.

3 weeks later
#1277 2 years ago
Quoted from Groover88:

I’m having a problem with 2 coils locking up at start up on my nascar the garage kick out and the trough vuk I changed the drivers with no change anybody have any ideas as to where to look next? Thank you trueno92 for the great trans lite looks great!!!! Def a nice upgrade!!!!

Very welcome and glad u like it!!

Re garage, what does switch test report when garage up?

#1279 2 years ago

Damn, flip flop chip? Hmm im going to have to read up on that one as most games ive fixed are not at the ic level of needing repair just yet...

Im thinking it has to be simpler as most pin repairs typically are... but i have been known to be wrong more often than not ...

#1281 2 years ago

Something is grounding the coil on power on. Hmm... hoping bumping this will jump start the thread

#1285 2 years ago

Thx for the bump, pin jim! Awaiting how this will turn out.

#1290 2 years ago
Quoted from ShortCorky:

Hi all - joining the club in the coming days! I ordered a new 1:43 diecast to replace the test car (that thing is so f'ing ugly...).
Do I need to put any type of protection on the actual car so it doesn't damage the pinballs? I don't care if the car gets beat up, but am worried about the playfield getting chewed up if the balls gets damaged.
I was considering adding clear bumpers or clear tape just to avoid the metal-on-metal contact.
TIA for any advice.

Balls seem to be pretty good. I have a last action hero and believe me, the scoops on that thing see ball strikes at all angles and balls are fine.

There are t nuts on the upper left side of the pf race track that are hardened steel and make sure they are covered with mylar.

Dont worry about a car taking some hits, it wont harm the balls! Oh i should also mention, the car is mounted on a hinge, so even when its stuck, it can absorb the hit.

Its pretty good actually. And i dont find it as unrobust as some ppl say

#1292 2 years ago

Does the coil have a diode on it? Is it loose?

#1295 2 years ago

Also, press down on that u1... never know!

#1298 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Damn that translite is SWEET. Now we just need someone to fix the design of the truck in the back left corner. Ugh... so bland.

I think we need more pics of that topper!! Thanks for the shout out to my translight!!! And great score up at 89 mill!! Def happy to be back!

Actually i think a tour of all the mods would be great, colordmd, funky speaker panel, modded car for the garage etc.

#1300 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Ha ha, I did notice that topper but didn't think of it as one to be honest. Great look!
The translite you made is one of the nicest ones I've seen. I am still thinking of getting another NASCAR. It's the only pin I've sold that I've ever really missed. I wish it was easier to get parts for it. Some of the stuff is difficult to find. The garage needs a better design in my opinion too. Where are all the engineers? Ha!

If it helps, ive played the crap out of my nascar for at least 2-3hrs a day for the first 6 weeks of ownership after getting it dialed in. Its been behaving well after getting over the garage latch and hasnt done anything unexpected! Agreed the garage mech should be on rollers but after looking at it closer, the slider should do fine for a long time as mine appears to float between both brackets even tho that magna lube is called for for contact.

I do admit the light show is amazing witb leds and led ocd and the game play really needs to be recognized for how smooth it feels for a fan layout. It makes you really want to shoot for the spinners with how the spinners select the modes and the shots flow so nicely. And when those spinners are rippin, its great.

#1302 2 years ago
Quoted from Groover88:

My topper is actually a tire off of dale jrs car from the pocono race in 06 its actually hanging on the wall but looks good in my opinion. Ill post some more pics when I get home today. Glad you guys like what I did to the machine. Def don’t get much praise from the wife on stuff like that. You can’t beat the flow of nascar and I agree ripping the spinners is awesome especially 5 or 6 times in a row. The hardest shot for me is the dam drops they are tucked over on the side pretty tight.

Get good at em, super jackpot and mode jackpots app day over here with those 3 drops.

Yah actually the game looks nice (nicer now with that translite heh) u should share some pics on the work!

#1304 2 years ago

Two wizard modes and a bunch of diverters to add!!

Yes every new game has a lot of modes and cooperative play but.. nascar is a hidden gem when it comes to straight forward gameplay and the modes are fun.

Dont get me started on the dmd, however.... the dots are well... forgettable at best.

#1306 2 years ago

Wowzers!! Nice work MustangPaul

2 weeks later
#1311 2 years ago

Ur all fine no display update required

3 weeks later
#1319 2 years ago

Let us know what turns up?

I want to think its low 12v or 5v to the mpu... and causes the optos to lose signal intermittent or a bad capacitor that goes out of spec after the game warms up...

#1321 2 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Well so far I have found either a cracked solder joint or poor through hole plating at U201 on the RD PDB. I noticed when all of the coils quit the watchdog LED on the PDB was out. If I pressed on U201 the light would flicker and come back on and then all the coils would work again. I resoldered both sides of U201, and also the cap and resistors around it, plus resoldered the big caps on the PDB just because. So far that problem appears to be solved.
Moving along I found that the game was not registering the balls in the trough VUK, and opto switch #48 is not working. Ordered some new trough boards and optos for #48. We'll see what happens once that stuff gets here.

Nice work!! Those u201 through hole would be a tough catch.

Well here is some motivation:

I got to the 2nd wizard mode and handed it over to my daughter so she can share in the excitement!

Ledocd on this one, wish i recorded it in 60fps.. but it looks great.

2 weeks later
#1326 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

If you put leds in the inserts the LED OCD board is a must. I cleaned the underside of the inserts with Windex on a cotton swab and put in clear dome white leds. The inserts just sparkle like a new Stern.

@mustangpaul, i just sent herg a msg on this, can u let me knoe what settings u are using jn your ledocd?

Ive noticed after a few games, the circular scrolling of the mode inserts dont work along with the CHAMP1 INSERTS. It comes back in gameplay, but for some reason (im guessing matrix scanning), the inserts do not light in attract mode.

20210906_113541 (resized).jpg20210906_113541 (resized).jpg
#1328 2 years ago

Play a few games, does the attract mode appear correct in displaying the mode design light pattern.

2 weeks later
#1332 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Will someone do me a solid if they have a popped hood handy?
Need a pic of how the wires are connected on switches 36 (test car garage) as the white yellow wires have severed.
I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Do u still need this?

#1336 2 years ago

Check mpu 5v? This is a bit above me but disconnect one of the wires going to the machine gun sling switch, see if the flippers still act up?

#1338 2 years ago

Man, i hate intermittan errors...

Im also dealing with oddly missing light sequences with an ledocd board..

Timing or something seems to randomly miss certaib sequences but they also randomly reappear like normal so i dont know what setting in led causes the issue!

#1344 2 years ago

Nice! I give it a listen now.

Thanks for the link ! Would have never known about it otherwise!

Dave sounds a lot like one of the guys from the, 'stuff you should know', podcast.

Actually they both sound like the 'stuff you should know'.

They really bashed the game lol

#1345 2 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I played the game for several hours with the backglass off and my phone recording the LEDs to see if anything happens. I was not able to reproduce the error today.
The LED for 5 volts is solid and I tested it and it was a bit above 5.
The game has a Rottendog driver board and Rottendog power board at the top left.
The left sling is not machine gunning any more so I did not disable it.
I checked everything under the play field and nothing is shorting.
It comes back to the game showing fluttering flippers, flickering controlled lights which should not be interacting with each other. I did send the videos and these comments to Stern Support and Pablo. I am hoping something rings a bell for someone.
Maybe I should also ask this on a generic SAM Stern post.
Thanks
Michael

Not sure if i caught your rom version but see something here

Screenshot_20210928-174153_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210928-174153_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1347 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Looking to join the club for a re-theme project this winter, looking for a HUO or good condition Nascar
Thanks in advance

Wow cool!! Can u spill any deets?

#1351 2 years ago

As other games have gone up, i hoped nascar would as well. I cant believe rocky and bullwinkle is more sought after?! Pinball is weird.

Anyway, nascar is a great tournament game and good pace with even scoring.

2 months later
#1360 2 years ago

Wow this is a great idea!!! That translite turned out really nice as well!!!

Ive been wanting to do that hurst shifter shooter rod for a while... ugh, dont want to sink any more coin into nascar tho..

Now it needs a wack load of scene replacements in the dmd using pin2dmd, replacemrnt sounds and bgm using Pinsound and it would be pretty solid.

#1365 2 years ago

Now we need a plastics set to help round it out!!

2 months later
#1378 2 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Working on a Nascar for my friend. ....

Lastly, I'm missing what the manual shows is the display power supply board in the upper left corner of the backbox. Im assuming the display that is in it is an LED display and doesn't need it. But we can't figure out how to get the odd letter shadowing to go away. [quoted image]

Ok, the display in there IS a stern 5v, and yes you notice the shadowing. I had the same problem when i plugged in a 5v stern dmd to my data east machines.

Surprisingly, there is no shadow when plugged into a wpc game.

I was never able to figure out why the shadowing exists on DE games but not wpc or the era of stern titles that work correctly with that 5v dmd but you can be sure that both the dmd and the driver are not defective... they just have a weird incompatibility.

#1380 2 years ago

man alive, LOVE when problems are easy fixes. nice work.

in other news, i have a couple of SECONDS of my nascar translite. I don't really want to see them doing nothing, OR in a landfill, so if you shoot me a PM i'll send these out at a special price.

Demolition Man and Last Action Hero are available as well.

#1382 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

These are super nice. Wish I get a NASCAR again, but it isn't in the cars right now. I need to finish a garage edition.

thanks for the stamp of approval! its a great game and fun layout, if only fixing the sounds were as simple as swapping a translite!

still got 2 more seconds!

1 month later
#1385 1 year ago

THULL85 please let us know when you maxed out how many cars fit lol.

What i really want to do is make a good flag waver stand for the diverter on the right..

#1392 1 year ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I wish someone would 3D print a mod for the tower. The existing one always made me think that Stern ran out of time. It's so bland.

Yup, thats the diverter im talking about, too.

Ill find something...

2 weeks later
#1396 1 year ago

I did the diy pin stadium ($30) and i do prefer it. The pf is a lot more visible with them.

2 weeks later
#1409 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Is the Dale jr game code and the nascar game code the same? I noticed after a few plays the test car does not move down during game play.

Service the assembly. The code is the same.

2 weeks later
#1416 1 year ago

I love easy fixes!

1 month later
#1435 1 year ago

So far the only thing would be to jam a pinsound board in it. I think...

2 months later
#1449 1 year ago

Are dale cabs not drilled for a start button on the left of the coin dr?

#1451 1 year ago

I think i remember reading this that stern got super lazy and i guess the hole drilling guy went on strike and since tournament mode was not used on dale jr games, they wired the start button to the lock down bar button.

2 months later
#1480 1 year ago
Quoted from GraniteStatePin:

I have questions! Help me out guys, appreciate it.
1)What are these metal brackets in the lower cab, one on each side?
2) I have a bunch of connectors not connected..are they supposed to be?
- First one is lower left side in backbox - blk/org and blk/yel
- next is red/blk and red/white ...I think its for dmd panel speakers...mine aren't wired yet
- next upper left backbox, 2 connectors with blk and red wires
- next middle left backbox blk and red wires
- last under PF left-side by diverter orange and blk/purple wires
3 Need help wiring in bash car. Can you just confirm this is correct?
Looks like grey/green wire (marked 1 in pic) goes from main large coil to wire harness?
Looks like yellow/purple (marked 2 in pic)daisy chains from far right coil to middle main large coil then to harness?
Looks like brown/green wire (marked 3 in pic) coming from circled connector goes to far right side coil?

I think you should take a look at the manual for this one. I am not at my game but if someone can take the glass off and shoot some pics im sure it would help to compare.

#1482 1 year ago

nice nice, good to hear you made progress.

I got a few extra 2nds translites that I am offering to the group here for a substantial discount. They have minor printing defects but they would basically be moot from playing position.

send me a PM/DM for more details and pricing!!

3 months later
#1501 12 months ago

Post a gameplay video!!

#1503 12 months ago
Quoted from whisper:

Hi guys my car that spins in the hauler is not resisting when hit so no locks are registering when it's time to lock up, was hoping someone might have had this issue before an can guide me in the right direction?? Thanks in advance..

Just started having the same issue the pinwheel target just keeps rotating and u gotta shoot at it at the right timing. It does stop but just intermittently until another pf target is it and then jt starts spinning again

#1504 12 months ago

The optos register in switch test and in the pinwheel test mode.

Anyone have experience in testing this in the test mode? Here is where i suspect its not operating correctly where the target can be either target show/hide/running/stop.
The opto reading reported in the test correctly displays open or closed relative to the pinwheel position.

The target will always rotate. Even if stop is selected.

If i select target show or hide, the target will show that position correctly but only after EXITING that test menu, so the pinwheel will continue rotating but stop at the open or closed once exiting the menu. The stop option never works and the target rotates until i exit the test menu, which is mirrored in game as the car target never holds a positon of open or closed.

I traced back the connectors and everything looks fine. I suspect a ground is loose or that the opto would be bad or not communicating to the mpu but the opto switch is verified in switch tests...

Screenshot_20230430_215945_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230430_215945_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230430_220000_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230430_220000_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230430_220554_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230430_220554_Drive (resized).jpg
#1505 12 months ago

From connector j8 pin5, driver q4, should the motor have a diode crossing the lugs?

Correction there is a diode crossing the lugs of the motor.

So thinking about this as a coil, the coil would always be energized and in this case, the motor is also always energized.

What it seems like, is that the opto is reporting switch closure back to the mpu, but the mpu does not appear to be controlling the motor or motor not reading those changes in on/off status.

Help!

#1507 11 months ago

Thanks for the reply and pointing me in the right direction. Ok looks like I’m going to have to bust out the multimeter..

Both areas look clean…

IMG_0716 (resized).pngIMG_0716 (resized).png

IMG_0718 (resized).pngIMG_0718 (resized).png
#1510 11 months ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

What exactly is the problem. The wheel isn’t spinning when it’s supposed to or the balls won’t lock and go into multi-ball?

The wheel spins all the time. There are times in the game it should stop with car shown or car hidden and it just keeps spinning.
This is confirmed in diagnostics where the opto registers in the test but the windmill/pinwheel target just keeps turning even if STOPPED is selected.

With the rest of the game playing flawless

#1512 11 months ago

Only optical switches back there and they seem to be registering correctly. I believe the culprit is a bad driver. Does not test like the others. Diode on motor also tests good.

New driver is on order and I’ll update the thread when i install it.

Most nascar pin owners would never notice it’s even out of spec, but iirc there are certain game modes where it does stop in target open or closed.

#1515 11 months ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I'd notice. It would bug the hell out of me like it is for you.
For the driver, is it specific to this target? I'm just wondering if there is another that you could use to swap it and test momentarily.

This driver is specific to the target. Logically it makes sense why it failed:
Unlike the coils, this target is in motion most of the time, it is stopped and still stops when power to all coils goes out, which made it tricky to understand its operation.

But with it being in motion most of the time, power is also running thru the fet that controls this most of the time, unlike a coil where it snaps on and then controlled power is shut off.

Unfortunately there is no other driver i could swap out for this... ive not been shy about grounding to another driver that could not be in use at the same time, like on de games where autolaunch and trough popper COULD use the same driver but just never at the same time (which is fine because the launcher and tough pop could never activate at the same time)

But the pinwheel target doesnt have that flexibility... since it can be in action while other coils are activated.... will keep u guys posted... there are times where i dont touch tjis game for weeks and now it needs service and i want to play it.

OK, BUT WITH THAT OUT OF THE WAY

Do you guys notice sometimes after a game, attract mode lights mess up the rotating circle of modes and they all fail to light in the rotating attract mode pattern? My game has always done this even after a rom update.

Ive changed bulbs, leds, random mix of both and there is zero rhyme or reason, sometimes the center pattern just doesn't light in attract mode but comes back once the next game is started...

#1516 11 months ago

Notice here.

My game sometimes behaves like this regardless if ledocd is plugged in and doesnt matter if im using led or incandescent etc

#1518 11 months ago

That wire looks like it got pinched and pulled off of whatever it was connected to.

Check diodes on all coils on the same column as that kicker slingshot and truck ramp exit kicker

My game pf is still up so I’ll poke around for this wire and see where it terminates.

If you need pics of anything, let me know. I’ll keep the glass off until we got some answers for you.

#1519 11 months ago

Hey just reviewing my pic above, check here there is another triple aux board. Your wire goes to it

IMG_0792 (resized).jpegIMG_0792 (resized).jpeg
#1520 11 months ago

That purple wire goes to this board lower left corner.

16832433242666899288662949766550 (resized).jpg16832433242666899288662949766550 (resized).jpg
#1522 11 months ago

yeah get that wire stripped and twist it back together, maybe it attaches to a coil and the lug has a diode so now that one diode is missing from the column it doens't know what to do?

you mention your right sling isn't working anymore, and this wire goes up to the sling.. i think you found why its not working!

#1524 11 months ago
Quoted from MrNurbtastic:

Indeed! I know the sling coil has a diode on it. Now I'm not totally sure why it would be causing a short, but I'll have to work on it either this weekend or early next week and I'll update here. I appreciate the help!

I think it shorted on whatever metal thing sliced the wire. It was prob grounding it in the process.

Yeah, its rare anyone has the glass off on a nascar, they generally are pretty good cuz they are seldomly played!!! Lol!

#1525 11 months ago

Honestly i look at how much crap is packed into nascar and man it deserves betfer....

Imagine if the track was elevated and the pf could be normal size!!

#1526 11 months ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I'd notice. It would bug the hell out of me like it is for you.
For the driver, is it specific to this target? I'm just wondering if there is another that you could use to swap it and test momentarily.

Actually i lied earlier.

I could steal a pop bumer driver and simply tie two pops together to one of the remaining drivers , ala james bond style....
Id just have 2 pops that go off at the same time when only one of them is triggered
Or leave that pop undriven.

#1529 11 months ago

I’m wondering if the new coil u put in is wired backwards.

I’m also going to think that the driver on the pcb needs to be changed because it’s shorted.

#1531 11 months ago

This sounds tricky.

The new coil and everything looks good on inspection, right?

I’d check further upstream from that transistor.

Also, what transistor are you putting in there if u replaced it a few times? It should be IRL540 or equivalent. Make sure ur not putting a TIP102 or TIP122 in there!

#1533 11 months ago

I’ve had this before with a data east. Basically replacing the transistor fixed it. Are u replacing the coil with the equivalent part?

IMG_0827 (resized).jpegIMG_0827 (resized).jpeg
#1535 11 months ago

Trace the wires off the coil and make sure they aren’t shorting against anything.

#1538 11 months ago

Agreed, just draw some solder to bridge it.

Keep tracing and inspecting around there. That’s really odd that the leg looks like it blew out, and also, the pcb looks like it may have a light fracture along the legs on the top layer. Check the backside of the pcb to make sure it’s not shorting against anything.

#1540 11 months ago

Nice, ok if u kno where that goes just tin some wire on both ends and connect it to the leg of that chip and jumper it direct to that lower pin r247

Did u hear any loud bangs or burning smells? A leg popping off Ike that would have been a sharp snap pop.

#1542 11 months ago

Failures at the chip leg generally dont just happen from vibration.

It looks like burn marks around that one tho? Or is it just the photo?

#1546 11 months ago

Im gonna check my game tonight. At the office so... stay tuned for later tonight.
Interesting urs are both rev g boards

#1548 11 months ago

Google ds1232 u210

Before i get your hopes up.... see attachments.

More here
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair

Screenshot_20230508_105116_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230508_105116_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230508_105127_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230508_105127_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1555 11 months ago

Nurbtadtic, remove the coil and inspect the diode to ensure it indeed making contact across both coil lugs?

#1557 11 months ago

Make sure to test the trannys before you install them. You may need to ground them out first which just means bridging the leads with a screw driver before install

#1560 11 months ago

Should be many out there! And man it’s such a great game when it’s working as it should!!

#1567 11 months ago

Update, Put the transistor I got from marco in.. and presto! it works now without locking the coil. My machine has a nasty lean rn from working on it, but I'll level it out tomorrow probably and try some full test games, I shot the left ramp and the coil fired perfectly, looks like we may be back in business. I'll update again but I figured I'd share it here.

Awesome!

So I put in a new transistor for my truck issue and no dice. Same behaviour. Pretty sure that transistor tested back but I guess not..

Back to the drawing board for me.

#1571 11 months ago

these were the settings that seemed to have been misadjusted...

1 week later
#1575 11 months ago

Those skirts look pretty good.yes the wiring sucks as u get to see how much junk is crammed on the bottom, watch for the diode strip where iirc some of the pop switches have their diodes relocated there.

#1582 11 months ago

I really wanted to make that truck a smaller truck opening in front of a race track grandstand or something. The layout can totally bag a nicer theme. Has so much going for it…

#1584 11 months ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Agreed. The truck sucks. There is so much potential in this game for great logos and images but I'm sure it would have cost Stern a fortune for all the rights to use them, so we ended up with generic graphics. Just look at the stickers on the spinners. Lame!
The lighting on the truck is terrible, but the whole truck needs to be updated with a scale model.

Yup, this and the habittrail diverter being a flag tower would be awesome.. just no time.

And a pin sound card to modify the sounds.

#1586 11 months ago

Nice list of stuff to do. You covered all the bases, maybe get the hurst shooter rod and some checkered flag emblems as speaker decals.

One thing that makes a huge difference is adding an LED OCD board if you are running leds for the inserts. If i had a choice between colordmd and ledocd, id go led ocd as there are some great insert animations and the fade contriol makes a huge difference.

If dale is gonna sign the translite, id take the apron as well and have him sign it in nice broad silver metallic marker.

#1588 11 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Just adding this back again, not trying to spam, but for the love of baby jesus, someone sell me a Grand Prix. LOL Happy Memorial Day everyone, thanks to anyone who served, serves, or supports.

Grandprix is goong to be a bit more rare as all grandprix were export for eu only, while domestic was all nascar.

#1591 11 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Ya... I know. There are quite a few here in the US, I just need to find one of you ready to change games. LOL. I caught the last one right as it sold and another that's on route is beat to shit but the guy won't sell it, just keeps running it beat to shit lol

Thats a tough one if an op wont let it shake loose!

Get a similar shape nascar kf he would be up for a trade?
Wont be very economical but i think it should get u there.

#1592 11 months ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I have the Hurst Shooter rod installed. I upgraded to LEDS and Titan Rings. Purchased new apron cards.
The Tach mod I forgot about. I researched it some. I'm not sure what Tach hooked on pinball used...
And I need to upgrade the speakers....Suggestions?
Checkered flags for the speaker grill? Where can I buy them?

Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I have the Hurst Shooter rod installed. I upgraded to LEDS and Titan Rings. Purchased new apron cards.
The Tach mod I forgot about. I researched it some. I'm not sure what Tach hooked on pinball used...
And I need to upgrade the speakers....Suggestions?
Checkered flags for the speaker grill? Where can I buy them?

I think these could work
https://www.amazon.com/AK-Wall-Art-Checkered-Racing/dp/B07JQ1J4BW

Measure them out to see how big they are but this and a little double sided tape and ur done.

#1597 11 months ago

Nice setup!!!

#1600 11 months ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Thanks I got rid of All my new pinball games I like this era wayyy better I’m my opinion lol

This era is cool in that it’s very mode focused but it’s not at all linear for nascar.

If you had a new ff or gz, send it up my way!!

You should try some de games like last action hero as well. Very similar style of play. Start a mode, do this, stack it with another mode, get multiball on the stack etc.

#1606 11 months ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

I had gz traded it last action here I had a nice one just COUKD not get into it for whatever reason

It’s the translite.

But watch the movie if u can. It makes a lot more sense today than when it first dropped.

Shaker, magnets, crane, gun shooter and interactive flasher topper!!

#1611 11 months ago
Quoted from RobW:

Its just a photo taped to it!

Low tech solution ftw. Print another out and make it into a topper and sell for HUNDREDS

#1638 10 months ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Anyone have the ability to scan the plastic in 300dpi? mr tandrum is going to help me laser cut and do the artwork, also rebuild the truck hauler box with all those rivets and do something better thinking wonder bread car and shake and bake across ……up in the air right now on that

I wish I could help, but I don’t have access

#1651 10 months ago
Quoted from FarAway:

Rob,
Nice meeting you, thanks for the trade. Great pin, the wife loves it!

Wow. You finally got your nascar?

1 week later
#1667 10 months ago
Quoted from FarAway:

Still loving the NASCAR...
Question:
When the bar exits the garage (under the test car), it goes straight down the middle and is literally untouchable with either flipper. I don't believe this is normal. Can someone help me out, when the ball exits where should it be aimed and what it is hitting first?
Also, when adjusting this... what is the best practice? Is something bent and reshaped or does kicker just needing adjusting/ realigning?
thanks!

Don’t bend the scoop just yet. It’s tempting.

Just put some Mylar under the top of the scoop where the ball strikes. It should slow it down so it will follow to the left flipper. Post a pic of the scoop when u get a chance.

#1672 10 months ago

I put some mylar on the 45* angled area where rhe ball should hit on its way out of the scoop

1 week later
#1688 10 months ago
Quoted from Fifty:

That bracket looks terribly oxidized but functional. I don't see what a new one would accomplish.

Agreed. Id check for correct function of that coil that pulls back with that angled piece on the end of it

2 weeks later
#1690 9 months ago

Good to see it fixed

3 weeks later
#1692 8 months ago

The test car garage mech itself is kinda finicky if it doesnt come down or retract correctly...

#1697 8 months ago

Green wire to the banded side of that switch should do it!

Use solder tho.

#1701 8 months ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

I meant opto 34

May be able to use track test mode

#1716 8 months ago

Nice work!! This game is a mode stackers fun time.

1 month later
#1725 7 months ago

Its the largest ramp in any game so i heard, except i thjnk WCS is bigger.

#1727 7 months ago
Quoted from mark532011:

does anyone else have an issue where occasionally when I shoot the ball through the spinning car it gets kind of stuck back there. I can see it but the system doesn't, so eventually it goes through the "find ball" stuff and dislodges it somehow and then shoots it up the ramp. But its kind of a pain. Is it an adjustment of some kind? I haven't removed the cover to see yet.

Check for cracks around the ramp where its connected to that spinning car assy.
Also check for switch test that the ball is registering when jt gets back there

1 month later
#1732 5 months ago

TWO K??????

#1734 5 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

Yeah, $2,000 US doll hairs

oh don't go there.. that Doll Hair thing got me in grade 3, when my brother sold off my favourite micro machine... for DOLL HAIRS....

1 month later
#1746 4 months ago

Thats a perfect looking topper!!!

I had f14 as well!

1 month later
#1749 3 months ago

Reset the game default settings in the adjustments. There are assigned values for some of the adjustments that are not wrll documented for the truck motor. Etc

#1754 3 months ago

Replace the tip36 and see. I find it really odd a magnet could draw enough to ahort it.... but magnets shorting is surprisingly common on LAH as well..

Im following this for ideas...

#1758 84 days ago

Check trough switches. The game doesnt recognize how many balls are in the trough.

#1761 82 days ago

Update to my Track problem: The tip36c for the Lower Right accelerator magnet was bad, I replaced it on the triple driver board and we're now back in business!

For this gen of game, keep a couple tip36c around. The swap is easy if it ever goes out again.

2 months later
#1772 21 days ago

Amazing. I will try that! Seldom on my game and i notice if it trips up a couple times, it amps up the coil to really make sure it clears the ball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.95
2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Phoenixville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trueno92.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nascargrand-prix-owner-and-fan-club?tu=trueno92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.