• Latest reply 12 days ago by trueno92
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you reached Champion Challenge?”

• No, but I will some day! 61 votes
    60%
  • Yes, and it was like kissing Danica Patrick with Journey playing in the background 32 votes
    31%
  • Yes, pretty good but could have been better 7 votes
    7%
  • Yes, and I was disappointed 2 votes
    2%

(102 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4505 (resized).jpeg
395318953_302141939305935_9197749323100653698_n (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_7828 (resized).jpg
IMG_7830 (resized).jpg
Nascar-Pinball-Machine-9 (resized).jpg
20230712_194745 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0531 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I can't believe this game has gotten so cheap, it's awesome! The layout is one of Lawlor's best, and it has a ton of stuff to do. 2 ramps, 3 kickouts, 3 magnet accelerators, a moving car bash toy, 2 spinners, 3 drops, 7 diverters, a captive ball and a "windmill" target thrown in for good measure. It's a beast!

I just put up 54M on mine after shopping it out and dialing it in (factory, 3 ball, outlanes at "medium"). The flow on this game is GREAT. Sorry for doing a "best game evar" kinda post, but I'm really enjoying it! I was planning to play it and flip it at the next Gameroom Expo here in Atlanta, but I think it's a keeper. I'm really looking forward to re-theming this as "Talladega Nights" when I get some down time. Woohoo!

This PDF is a must read if you own the game, or you're playing it in a league or tourney:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/5093/Stern_2005_NASCAR_Playfield_Shot_Map.pdf

Here are a few pics from my shopout:

IMG_6087.JPGIMG_6087.JPG
IMG_6093.JPGIMG_6093.JPG

#2 9 years ago

The rules are surprisingly good. Louis Koziarz and Pat Lawlor teamed up on NASCAR in 2005 after doing RBION in 2004 - another great, underrated pin.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

Make sure the garage does not go SDTM, many of these did.

Yes, that's probably the main reason it's been rated so low. There are a lot of good tips for fixing this, but what worked best for me was just changing the coil strength to "soft".

#10 9 years ago

I posted a fix for the SDTM problem here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-help-with-nascar-ball-shoots-out-of-garage-sdtm#post-1943335

I'll do a cleaner installation and report back in a month or so with long-term results.

#11 9 years ago

It's a beautiful fall day here, great time to take out the engine and give it a good cleaning:

engine1.jpgengine1.jpg
engine2.jpgengine2.jpg

I noticed that after doing a "complete shopout" the game was getting dirty after a few dozen games. I'm pretty sure this was the cause, as the engine was filthy. It was much easier to clean outside the game.

Now I have to do the other one...

#13 9 years ago

That's pretty much what I did to mine, but I got lazy and didn't take out the "engines" the first time - big mistake. TZ is easy to shop out compared to NASCAR.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from PinBiohazard:

Doesn't seem room to be able to put like a model Nascar on there

1:43 scale models fit perfectly, just a tiny bit bigger than the test car.

1 week later
#22 9 years ago

I'll be installing my new car tonight, if my vision pans out. Pics to follow.

EDIT: see continued post here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-test-car-on-nascar#post-1964753

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

good luck swampfire , looking forward to seeing the results...

Sorry for the split topic...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-the-test-car-on-nascar#post-1964753

#26 9 years ago

I made a mindmap for Nascar's rules - this game is deep! Here are some icons and abbreviations:

= extra ball opportunities
magic wand = goal needed to reach wizard mode
hourglass = timed mode
JP = Jackpot
+JP = Increases Jackpot
SJP = Super Jackpot
MB = Multiball

[EDIT: diagram updated 2:00pm OCT 18]

NASCAR.pngNASCAR.png
#27 9 years ago

I'll check this out tonight and add some score values. I'd like to know where the big points are, for league play.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

7 shots right orbit for hard racing is not 100% correct. you have to light the right orbit by shooting the right ramp first
I also think that you light the left orbit for speed shots by hitting the left orbit fisrts, with others wordt, you have to shoot the left orbit twice in a short time (it's speedshots right)

Thanks, I was trying to figure that out!

#31 9 years ago

One thing that bugs me is that I always see the same 4 scanner awards. And the right column is always a copy of the left! Do I have an older ROM? How can I tell the version of code I'm running? There's no label on the game ROM.

EDIT: I got my code versions by disabling fast boot. I'm on 4.50 CPU and 4.00 DISPLAY, which I think are the latest.

#32 9 years ago

OK, I learned some more things this morning:

The game randomly picks 3 of the garage modes to light Mode Bonus for a CHAMP1 letter. You can see which ones by using the INSTANT INFO. Use the spinners to get one of these lit.

As Pascal said, the right orbit must be qualified by the right ramp. The first time it's easy to advance the right orbit, because there's no timer. But after you've played Hard Racin' once, you can only advance the right orbit by hitting a right ramp - right orbit combo.

Stacking Speed Shots with Multiball is very lucrative.

Hitting the right ramp repeatedly awards double hauler miles. Are there any other combos?

Always shoot an orbit if its light is flashing.

#34 9 years ago

Thanks Pascal. I was trying to think of how to diagram the "Good Thinking" trick and I gave up. I think notes will always be needed to complement the diagrams.

2 months later
#79 9 years ago

Ugh, sorry to hear that Scott. Can you get into the diagnostics at all? Also check to make sure there are 4 balls installed and that they all register in their trough positions.

2 weeks later
#99 9 years ago
Quoted from rockfantasyman:

hey guys I am having a weird issue with my Nascar . weak coil issue in the hauler ! changed the driver on board and still weak seems to fire strongly every so often then it will take 4 or 5 tries to kick out to ramp . any ideas ??

I just remembered that I'm having this problem too - I need to add it to my list. Have you checked the voltage at the coil?

#101 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What does the scanner show when you hit it? There should be 8 alternatives. I'm getting 4, doubled up.

That's normal, unfortunately.

2 weeks later
#108 9 years ago

It's a great board. I have one in my CSI, and I wouldn't do LEDs without it.

2 weeks later
#130 9 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

Hey all, can anyone tell me if theres a way to find out where the actual CHAMP1 letters are that you need to complete.

In my diagram, I used the "magic wand" symbol to show all of the ways to score CHAMP1 letters.
NASCAR Diagram.pngNASCAR Diagram.png

#132 9 years ago

Ah, now I get you. Unfortunately I don't think there is any Instant Info that helps here. I wonder if some of these could be completed multiple times to qualify more than 1 letter:

Speed Shots
Hard Racin'
Road Course
First Place
Victory Laps
Mode Bonus
Scanner Award

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

you can start victory laps after you finished 1st, so I think that you only get 1 letter after 1st place and victory laps

I'll try it with the glass off. There have to be at least 6 ways to earn a letter, otherwise you'd be waiting for the scanner award to come up.

#141 9 years ago

What I really want to see is a 3D hauler mod, done with a scale-model truck.

#144 9 years ago

I made some changes to settings last night that really opened up the game for me. I forgot that I had set it to tournament mode. After doing a Factory Reset and setting the coil strength to "hard":

- Scanner awards are much better, and not duplicated
- Hauler miles EB is much easier to get (only 700 miles)
- My scores have gone up dramatically
- No more track problems

It's probably not right for league play, but it's a lot more fun this way!

#146 9 years ago

Yeah, it kind of shocked me. I'm used to seeing 2 columns of 4 awards that are the same thing. Now I'm seeing things like "Rudd hat" and "Rusty shirt", and every one of the 8 is unique. It's also giving me some pretty good awards - add 5 laps, move up 1 place, etc.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What code version are you on and what settings? Just "factory"? I saw all sorts of truly random awards on the early code but not since I upgraded. I'm on the latest code now. How do I get the two columns to list different awards?

CPU 4.50, Display 4.00. I just changed it to Free Play, that's all. Definitely do a Factory Reset (from the Install or Reset Menu).

I just put up 77M, which is great for me. 23M of that was Race Multiball, and it wasn't even stacked with anything! One of these days I'll stack Victory Laps with it and really clean up.

#151 9 years ago

I just updated my diagram in post #130 to the original PNG - much better resolution. I need to update the Scanner awards, since they're a lot more varied now.

Here's my Free Play card. I like to give credit to the whole design team; let me know if I missed anyone.

Free Play.jpgFree Play.jpg

EDIT: yep, I missed some people:

Dots/Animation by: Adam Rhine, Greg Dunlap
Mechanics by: John Krutsch, John Filz

The mechanical engineering for NASCAR is pretty complex. Those guys definitely deserve some credit.

#152 9 years ago

Holy crap, how did I do this after 3 really strong beers???

WOOHOO, I finally got to play Champion Challenge!!! I also played 3 RACE multiballs, and my bonus at one point was 15M. I think this GC will stick for a while.

IMG_3222.JPGIMG_3222.JPG
IMG_3223.JPGIMG_3223.JPG
danicapatrick.jpgdanicapatrick.jpg

#153 9 years ago

Added a poll.

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

So ooooo victory laps is not the end?

Nope. Spell CHAMP1, shoot the scoop and strap in for a great 4-ball multiball!

2 weeks later
#185 9 years ago

My right ramp broke on the right side (just above the drop targets). I didn't realize it until the ball got stuck up there! Has anybody used another game's ramp protector successfully there? I don't think Cliffy has done this one yet.

Thanks,
John

1 week later
#227 9 years ago

There was a gorgeous cleared playfield for $500 at the Texas Pinball Festival (HSA or HEP, can't remember the TLA). I seriously thought about it, but I just signed up for a CPR Paragon playfield this week.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

The clear from the factory isn't the best that's for sure. While you can still get one why don't you go all out and buy a new pf and have it professionally cleared. Probably 1k or under total then you'd have a NASCAR that would be worth a lot more. Then sell the old one for a restore.
Bayareaamusements has them in stock for $400. Now THAT'S a deal for a new one.

#232 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Crap, I knew I should have gone. Maybe next year. Do you know any way to contact that person?

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/About_Us.html

1 week later
#252 9 years ago

I'm having NASCAR withdrawal. The right side of my right ramp broke a few weeks ago, and I haven't found a Cliffy that works there. I need to pull the whole monster ramp assembly out to do a JB Weld repair, and I can't get motivated.

#264 9 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

This just seems like a stupid system to me. Why didn't they just stick with the pivot in a bracket?

Because that's a much worse system. I hate working on games where you can't pull the playfield forward. This system allows you to pull the playfield out and lean it backwards against the head.

#269 8 years ago

Pretty much invisible now, especially given the location of the repair. Nice work.

7 months later
#361 8 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Unfortunately I've sold my Nascar. I still lurk here though and help out where I can.

Me too - I still think it's the best Stern bargain out there. I replaced mine with a Bally Medusa - not sure that was terribly smart.

2 months later
#422 8 years ago

I'm missing my NASCAR a little. I essentially traded it for a Medusa, which I'm loving...but NASCAR was a great pin to own for a year. Loved the Multiball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hidden Meadows, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Black Mountain, NC
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nascargrand-prix-owner-and-fan-club?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.