• Latest reply 5 days ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you reached Champion Challenge?”

• No, but I will some day! 62 votes
    60%
  • Yes, and it was like kissing Danica Patrick with Journey playing in the background 32 votes
    31%
  • Yes, pretty good but could have been better 7 votes
    7%
  • Yes, and I was disappointed 2 votes
    2%

(103 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4505 (resized).jpeg
395318953_302141939305935_9197749323100653698_n (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_7828 (resized).jpg
IMG_7830 (resized).jpg
Nascar-Pinball-Machine-9 (resized).jpg
20230712_194745 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0531 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ratshack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#641 6 years ago

Just joined the club this weekend!

Initially it had an issue with the test car switch #40, one of the wires was broken off. Resoldered it but the switch is way out of adjustment and is always closed. I was able to get it playable by loosening the left side of the car bracket and wedging in a thin piece of plastic from some clamshell packaging.

Is there a trick to accessing the adjustment screws? I see the two holes on the side but it doesn't look like there's enough room to get a terminal screwdriver in there.

Also, my game code is out of date - the problem above prevented the modes from starting. I have a bunch of EPROMs on hand from making game cartridges, it seems CPU is a 27C010 and Display is a 27C040. Can anyone confirm?

#643 6 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Here's a pic of my chips. Hope it helps.

Thanks, but I need to know the actual chips they used. Worst case scenario I have to remove the stickers on mine to see the chip manufacturer's part #.

#645 6 years ago

I peeled back the stickers on my CPU and Display ROMs enough to read the part numbers and their speeds. Figure I'd post it here for the next time someone googles Stern WhiteStar EPROM part numbers.

CPU: 27C1001 (aka 27C010) 100ns
Display: 27C4001 (aka 27C040) 80ns

2 months later
#674 6 years ago

Does anybody know if there's a way to manually adjust the number of hauler miles required to light extra ball?

It's auto-adjusted up to 1500 but I haven't found a setting to adjust it back down to the default 550.

I've also figured out how to hack the graphics ROM to replace text. So far I've altered the random scanner rewards (ex: Harvik Jacket -> 24 oz Bud can) and super fan mode:

1 week later
#700 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Good luck finding one. I just made my own and it works great.

Have any resources for doing this? Would like to make a set as well.

6 months later
#704 6 years ago

How to get multiball with only 1 lock shot:
1) Shoot the ramp and lock the 1st ball
2) Hold left flipper when plunging the 2nd ball to get the "good thinking!" lock
3) Do not plunge the 3rd ball, wait for ball search to launch it. The ball will exit the track via pit road, giving you an "I'd rather be lucky than good" lock, starting multiball.

3 months later
#730 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

You know what this thread is missing? Some pin moving pics. I joined the club last weekend and finally got it home and setup. Only 254 plays, version 1.02 code. The garage shot shoots it SDTM most of the time. Tweaked it out of level a bit, but that didn't help much. The service bulletins mention it and shows that I need to update the software. Some previous owner installed 4 smd LED bulbs that shine straight up for GI lighting - not good. I read through this entire thread to try to learn what I could. Good info. My list is as follows:
1. Buy the updated EPROMs for CPU, voice, music, video, etc. from Marcos and hope those are easy to change out.
2. Fix the Garage VUK if still necessary (I don't understand how some people use mylar in the scoop to fix it).
*** If I don't like the game at this point - sell it. I have yet to play a good playing NASCAR at a show with everything working, but want to like it ***
3. Replace GI LED bulbs with 2smd frosted bulbs
4. If I like the look, get the LEDOCD board - yes mustangpaul
5. Investigate if any cliffys or mantis protectors can be installed - anybody know?
*** If this is going to turn into a keeper … ***
6. Get the rpm gage and add something electronically to make it slowly go up and down (maybe a capacitor & ???) like a electronic snubber valve. I have someone looking into that.
7. NVRAM - easy plug in and no soldering for this game I read
8. Bug the crap out of soapman for the test car decals (join with me please) - those look fantastic!
9. Crowd side blades - where can I get them? I can't find them.
10. If it is a definite keeper - Pinsound. Anyone do that yet? Changing some sounds and music would probably be a good upgrade.
11. If #10, then upgrade speakers and connect to a sub. I've read it's not worth it otherwise.
I want and hope this game works out to be great![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice machine! I don't think the sound ROMs changed between versions so you may only need CPU and graphics ROMs. They're easy to swap, just be careful!

Marco sells the protector for the left ramp right side to match the factory left-left, I think it was $7. Forget about getting OEM right ramp protectors.

NASCAR is pretty good game when it's functioning correctly, the flow is great and stacking modes with multiball is a blast. The garage should shoot to the left flipper... recently played one at a show that kicked it to the right flipper for some reason

2 months later
#787 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yeah it's great and it works best with regular leds. If you really want to see great pf inserts get the 2 smd clear dome white leds like the ones in ST or Mustang. If the underside of the inserts are clean the facets sparkle like a new Stern. Don't even think of color matching the inserts. I put white Leg Lights and a white shooter housing on mine and I think it looks great. Look how my clear leg bolt washers light up to, much better in real life though.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Agreed on not trying to color match the inserts - though I like green for the jackpot inserts, looks way better than yellow.

3 months later
#812 5 years ago

Had to pull the garage assembly to fix the test car switch, now I'm trying to get the test car dialed back in and locktited down. So frustrating when you think it's OK, then a dead center hit doesn't register.

I noticed the car attaches to the garage with two different nuts, one has a raised bushing that fits the hole in the bracket. Should they both be the same? I found it worked better with the bushing nut on the right side.

#816 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I noticed the car attaches to the garage with two different nuts, one has a raised bushing that fits the hole in the bracket. Should they both be the same? I found it worked better with the bushing nut on the right side
They both need to be the same. You tighten the screws and nuts tight holding the bushing in place and the car will pivot on the bushings.

That's what I figured... I'll have to look out for another one.

The side with the normal nut slides a little bit allowing for more rotation, but for the most part it's pushed back.

1 year later
#1056 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

The default high score table seems high as most people will never get to 100M on mine. What are average scores for everyone? The highest I’ve gotten on mine so far is 71M but I need to put in some more time.

30-50M, highest is 368M. I turned down the extra ball setting after that one.

There are some stacks that are worth big points, like Victory Laps + Multiball.

#1059 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Wow, that's about the same here for 30-50 average but 368 seems crazy good. I did 71M off mostly Multiball Jackpots but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I will have to read through all the rules again.

Just worry about getting to Champion Challenge and it will fall into place. Hold the flipper button at the beginning of the game to see which modes will award a champ letter, then focus on completing those.

Scoring does not grow exponentially in this game so it takes a bit of strategy to get big points.

8 months later
#1120 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Hey, guys. I have a buddy searching for the wacky pivot but for the car. Looks like the only places that carry it are overseas. Anyone know a source?
It's a pivot nut 3/8
#530-5698-00
NASCAR
Thanks!

Regular nut + blue locktite will get the job done. I'm missing the correct pivot nut as well.

#1122 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Thanks. I suggested exactly that, but he likes things "right"

For anyone who wants to do things wrong, zip ties also work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Phoenixville, PA
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Black Mountain, NC
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ratshack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nascargrand-prix-owner-and-fan-club?tu=ratshack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.