• Latest reply 7 days ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you reached Champion Challenge?”

• No, but I will some day! 62 votes
    60%
  • Yes, and it was like kissing Danica Patrick with Journey playing in the background 32 votes
    31%
  • Yes, pretty good but could have been better 7 votes
    7%
  • Yes, and I was disappointed 2 votes
    2%

(103 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4505 (resized).jpeg
395318953_302141939305935_9197749323100653698_n (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_7828 (resized).jpg
IMG_7830 (resized).jpg
Nascar-Pinball-Machine-9 (resized).jpg
20230712_194745 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0531 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fifty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#160 9 years ago

I just joined the club today. The entire PF needs to be stripped. PF looks good, but is way too dirty for my liking. I'm a STERN newbie so expect a bunch of stupid questions over the next few months like how do I take off the lockbar!

I'm hoping to re-energise this club!

#162 9 years ago

I've read through every NASCAR titled thread on Pinside. Even the stuff as far back as 2012. Based on what I've read the biggest add-on mod is the tachometer which doesn't really seem to work well or at least it is very sporadic. There hasn't been many threads on switching this pin over to LEDs. No conversations about toppers people have made (except for the Budweiser case). There some great stuff on switching out the bash toy with a real 1:43 scale model, but it sort of died out. There's a nice sticker add-on to the DMD area, but the sizing is incorrect. No mods on converting the truck into a real truck???

This pin seems to be hard to find parts for too. I've got a cracked right ramp and everyone seems to be sold out. Cliffy doesn't make any protectors for this pin and it's got one of the largest mouths after the flippers of any pin out there.

I'm a little disappointed. I am a NASCAR fan, and want to fix and then bling out my new pin but there doesn't seem to be much out there for it. Am I looking in the wrong places?

Oh, my first newbie question:

1) On the translite I have Rusty in the Miller Lite car, but on the side of the pin the decaling shows the Rusty logo on the car. The Miller logo is no where to be seen. Is this the way all NASCAR pins are or do I have a mismatched pin?

2) Oh, and a second question… It this pin wrapped in a decal or is it silkscreened? I'm thinking silkscreened. I haven't looked at it closely enough to tell yet. Thought I'd ask.

#164 9 years ago

I have a led ocd board in my f-14 sys11 pin. I love it, and will be doing the same for Nascar. It's a fantastic product!

The double spots are very cool. Until I get the led ocd board I'll be playing with the lights on so I won't be adding and spots for now.

There are some sling plastics up on ebay. Not much else. So what do you guys do if you have a ramp break on you? Oh and does anyone have these installed? I'm having trouble visualizing how they fit on and where. I didn't see one post with about them.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5041-47

#166 9 years ago

There are actually 3 of them listed on Marco. If you do a search on Nascar they all come up. I've never seen anyone talk about them.

#167 9 years ago

Guys, I'm not familiar with STERN. How do I lift the PF? It doesn't seem to be hinged. What does it rest on when it is fully upright? The backbox?

[EDIT] Found the manual. There is a step by step for newbs!

#168 9 years ago

Hey guys, so I'm having some problems with the bash toy. It wasn't coming out of the PF so I figured the fuse was gone. It was, but before changing the fuse I wanted to know why it popped in the first place. So I removed the entire bash toy mechanism. It looks pretty good, but the mech was pretty tight. Looks like someone overtightened the nylon nuts despite all the warning stickers. Anyway, there is some play in the mech that has me concerned.

Before I get to it, can anyone tell me what size/type of screws are used to hold the bash toy in place? I'm missing some and others were the incorrect length and actually penetrated the top side of the PF.
What size and type of screws here?What size and type of screws here?

Here is the play I mentioned in the bash toy. It seems to be leaning left. I'm thinking the bushings are worn out and need to be replaced, but since I'm not familiar with this pin I need to ask for opinions. Pics;
Please note the spacing on the left.  Should there be a gap here?Please note the spacing on the left. Should there be a gap here?

Here's how it looks leaning to the left.  No gap.Here's how it looks leaning to the left. No gap.

Here are some more showing just how much play there is. Take a closer look at the yellow warning sticker.

Straight.  This is how I think it should look.Straight. This is how I think it should look.

Leaning left.  I am pretty sure it shouldn't do this.Leaning left. I am pretty sure it shouldn't do this.

Help?

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The screws should be #6-1/2in. Don't know about the slop, never had a problem with mine so don't know what's inside the slide mech. I'm just guessing here but the bolt is what limits the side slop and that bolt is worn. Pull it apart and post pictures of those inner workings.

Thanks. The #6-1/2 screws are the ones that screw into the T-nuts? There are two of them. Is this correct?

On page 98 of the manual it shows Item #3 (Bracket, Coil (Flipper) & Switch as "secured below the P/F: #8 x 1/2" SHWH (Qty 7). I don't get why it says qty 7 if two of them are #6 x 1/2" and 5 of them are #8 x 1/2". Sorry if that was confusing to read.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

There is a steel roller on each stud so it can go up and down smoothly, one of yours may be missing.

The steel rollers (bushings) are on each stud. There is quite a bit of play in them though. If I push on one side I can see a gap on the other side appear.

I will take some additional photos tomorrow. Thanks guys!

#175 9 years ago

Here are the photos I promised. I'm pretty sure my steel bushings are no good and will need to be replaced.

You can see the gap between the bushing and the threaded rod.You can see the gap between the bushing and the threaded rod.

The gap is more obvious when I push the bushing to one side.The gap is more obvious when I push the bushing to one side.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks like I was wrong, #8-1/2in. hold the bracket to the playfield. I don't understand where you have T-nuts for the bracket. Did you take them off in picture #1?

Under the PF there are 5 mounting holes to secure the garage bracket. 3 use wood screws or what I guess are sheet metal screws (SHWH) in the manual. The top left, top right and bottom right. The two dark holes are the t-nuts located at the bottom right.

https://img-f.pinside.com/201503/2309548/375152-i.jpg

Zoomed in on the location of the t-nuts from under the PF;
20150315_103149.jpg20150315_103149.jpg

From the top of the PF (sorry for the crappy angle of the photo);
behind the two posts.behind the two posts.

The screws for these two holes are the ones I am unsure of.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Or maybe he could go with a bigger diameter bolt to take up the slop. And put a very light coat of grease on the slide mech.

The bolt is attached to the actual bracket;
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=535-9600-00

I suppose I could drill it out and put my own bolt in.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

You will have to make them rollers yourself, I have not found them for sale yet.

They are available from Marco;
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5695-00

So do you guys think the rollers are the root cause of the issue? Do any of you have play like this in your rollers?

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I did not know these were the correct parts, hard to tell from the discription. Mine has play too, but not as much as you have. If the studs on your bracket are not worn I would try new rollers.

Yeah, the description sucks I'll give you that. The part number is bang on though. One thing I'll give Stern, their manual is kick ass. It has everything in it! Very detailed. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

The only root cause is that that's the way it was designed, if it were designed better it would have roller bearings. All this talk prompted me to take the plate off and look at mine, just normal slop on mine. I cleaned the old grease off the bearings and plates and put this on. Everyone should have this in their toolbox, great stuff.
IMGA0816.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Grease? You had grease on yours? Mine was bone dry. It just has those two shitty yellow slider stickers. I used some no drip, no mess teflon spray on it. I didn't think to spray the whole bracket, but I guess I could.

The design for this whole mechanism is terrible. Metal sliding on metal? Yeah, that will never wear down, especially after being bashed over and over again for 1000 games. What idiot approved that idea?

If the studs are worn then I'm thinking of installing a thin piece of plastic the full length of the bracket in between both pieces to keep it straight. I'm not paying Marco $95+shipping for a hunk of metal.

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My right ramp broke on the right side (just above the drop targets). I didn't realize it until the ball got stuck up there! Has anybody used another game's ramp protector successfully there? I don't think Cliffy has done this one yet.
Thanks,
John

[EDIT] Sorry I misunderstood the spot you were talking about. I hope Cliffy makes some soon.

I've had this pin for a grand total of 4 days. I'm getting used to the sounds that are supposed to be there and the ones that are not. Two issues I'm working on right now (other than the garage issue).

1) Numerous times, normally during multiball, I'll end up with two balls ejected in the shooter lane. I am assuming this is not normal. The auto kicker will try to kick them into the raceway to join multiball, but it doesn't have enough kick to get them up to the magnet so one, or both balls will just roll back into the drain. I'm new to opto boards and the Stern trough system. Where should I start troubleshooting for an issue like this?

2) The auto kicker is weak. I have the PF lifted and it looks clean. Coil looks good. No binding and everything is smooth. I'm thinking it's the wrong coil because sometimes the kick doesn't manage to get the ball up to the first magnet. Is there anything specific I should look at?

Thank you for your time!

#189 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes make sure the ball rests on the kicker fork and not ball plunger rubber. It needs to be touching the fork for a solid hit.

Ah... This explains no. 2) above. Thank you! I would not have though of this. This is the first time I've dealt with a auto-kicker.

The ball plunger was annoying the hell out of me so I took it apart last night to clean it. Man was it gummed up! I thought it might be bent, but it was just so dirty that it just wouldn't pull back smoothly. When I went to put it back together I decided to check the manual. I wanted to make sure I had the right spring, etc. In the manual it shows 3 spacer washers and 2 additional washers to hold the spring in place. The 2 for the spring were present, but the 3 spacer washers were MIA. I'm going to guess these are needed so the ball doesn't rest on the plunger.

plunger.pngplunger.png

Anyone have any ideas about 1) in my previous post???

#192 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The spring #4 will become compressed over time and allow the plunger tip to move forward. You can adjust it back by adding some washers #6, but there is a limit to how many you should add. Once 3 or 4 washers isn't enough you need to replace the spring #4 and go back to 1 or 2 washers.

I have zero right now. I'll check the clearance tonight.

The spring seems fine. I am familiar with what you mean by compressed over time. My F-14 Tomcat still had the original spring and it was pure slop. The one on my NASCAR is still very stiff. I think it's been replaced recently.

#194 9 years ago

Do you find they get in the way when you plunge the ball? I had one on my F-14 and it kind of bothered me so I removed it. Later I discovered it was there to keep the plunger back a bit from the PF whenever you lift it. After removing the washer, the tip of the plunger rubs on the PF when I lift it up. In hindsight, I should have left it there.

#195 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I would think that the wires that stick up for the switches are the cause, one or 2 may have to be bent up so they push down further for switch contact. Go into switch test and roll a ball over each one and see if they register.

Just saw this post. I will try this. I'm still getting use to the PORTAL system.

Reporting back on everything else… Okay, so the issue with the kicker is definitely the washers. I will need to go buy some at my local hardware store. The ball plunger isn't far enough back and it's stopping the kicker from making solid contact with the ball.

The garage… Man this thing is a piece of work. I am not a fan of this design at all. However, I did get it working. I took the entire thing apart and added some teflon spray to lube it up. The bushings/bearings are definitely worn and need replacing, but I replaced the fuse and at least the garage is now functional. I'll try to locate bushings locally, but if they are anything like the design of this thing they are probably "game specific" and I won't be able to find the right size. I did have a few SDTM ball returns from the garage, but I already have ideas on how to fix that.

#197 9 years ago

I started shopping out my NASCAR last weekend. It plays well, but I just can't stand it when things don't operate or look their best. I'm doing a full teardown of the PF top and partial of the bottom (garage, magnets, etc.). There are a few areas on the PF that need a quick touch up.

As I'm disassembling things I started to notice something. Everything is white or clear. The star posts are white/clear. The regular posts are white/clear. The ramps, the pop bumper, even a ton of the inserts! How dull. Has anyone modded their NASCAR with colour? Replaced the star posts? Replaced the regular posts?

This is a fun pin, but I just find the overall art package and colours so blah. Generic "Test Car" signage, boring looking test car, generic Transporter plastic, generic hot dog sign, generic drop target signs, generic plastics and don't even get me started on the decals. What were they thinking with those decals.

To me, NASCAR is about colour. It is about corporate sponsorship and logos plastered everywhere. It's about driver numbers, car manufacturers and racing teams. NASCAR is in your damn face with everything.

I need to do something about this. Has anyone pimped their NASCAR with colour?

#201 9 years ago
Quoted from luch:

Anyone have any idea on a problem , my garage will just go up and down and lock up in the open position ? thank you Mike

I am just getting familiar with this game, but the first thing I would do is check the two stand-up targets that are on the garage. Make sure they are gapped properly.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Just what I've posted so far. I myself don't like the look of white/clear inserts with colored bulbs in them, only 2 of mine have color changers in them and of course lighting up the Saturday Night Racing sign.

I don't like the look of this either. I always colour match inserts with LEDs. The person I bought the pin off of installed white LEDs for everything. It looks terrible. Everything is muted or yellow looking.

I like your mod to the Sat. Night sign. It's the sign that I have a problem with.

#203 9 years ago

I use Comet LED's exclusively as well. I use 1 SMD and find them plenty bright. Under the PF I have 1 SMD with all clear dome's. I use red under the red inserts. Like you said, this really makes them pop. Under the white inserts I use 1 SMD white. Under orange I use 1 SMD warm white. Using orange under an orange insert makes them too dark. Warm white makes the orange inserts look like they do with regular incandescents except much much brighter. Yellow I haven't had the opportunity to play around yet with. I would try 1 SMD yellow first and go from there.

I plan on ordering the OCD board down the road. I have one in my F-14 Tomcat and I wouldn't do LEDs without one now. This product just makes everything so fluid and gives you so much more control over the lighting. Just an excellent product.

I like your thinking about the green and blue. Maybe I try swapping out the white star posts with another colour. There's a lot of blue in the PF, so blue would work. Green too now that I think of it.

For the Saturday Night sign. I'm not sure what my plans are. Right now I'm focused on the dropped targets. The sign above the drops is boring. The decals on the drops are worse. I was thinking of adding a Daytona logo to replace the sign and then have 5-0-0 on the drop targets. If I do up the graphics properly I really think it would make this area pop and add that much more NASCARness to the pin.

#205 9 years ago

Did you use cool or warm white? I'm thinking warm is the way to go.

Will do about the sign above the drops. Right now I'm focused on tearing everything down.

#206 9 years ago

Anyone know if this is the proper guide rail for a NASCAR Stern? This is the only part number I've been unable to find in the manual. Mine is chipped on both sides. I'd like to replace them.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5017-00

#212 9 years ago

I got through a week and my OCD wouldn't let me go any further. This pin is playable, but not up to my standards. I started tearing it down.

20150328_205830.jpg20150328_205830.jpg

There are quite a few pieces that need fixing or replacing. My newton ball wireform is cracked. I thought those things were made of steel? I guess I was wrong. My ramps are broken in some pretty key areas. I could use them, but since they have already been removed I might look for replacements. Maybe I can vacuum form them?

20150328_205839.jpg20150328_205839.jpg
20150328_205820.jpg20150328_205820.jpg

I don't have a rotisserie, but so far it hasn't been too bad removing all the pieces.

#215 9 years ago

The habitrails are fine. The newton wireform holds the captive balls. This is the part that is cracked.

Yeah it has had a hard life from the look of it. The trail of dirt in the outer loop is very deep. I haven't tried to clean it yet, but I'm hoping it isn't gouged.

#218 9 years ago

Yes. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-9522-00

More progress tonight…

20150329_160755.jpg20150329_160755.jpg

Here are a few of the playfield defects. Some of the decals on the inserts are letting go. Someone used a screw that was too long and put it through the top of the PF. Same on the other side, but it looks like they didn't go as far so it just pierced it. The last one is planking? On a PF that's only 9 years old???

20150329_160816.jpg20150329_160816.jpg

20150329_160831.jpg20150329_160831.jpg

20150329_160843.jpg20150329_160843.jpg

#223 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The clear from the factory isn't the best that's for sure. While you can still get one why don't you go all out and buy a new pf and have it professionally cleared. Probably 1k or under total then you'd have a Nascar that would be worth a lot more. Then sell the old one for a restore.
Bayareaamusements has them in stock for $400. Now THAT'S a deal for a new one.

As great as this sounds I can't justify spending another $400 on a $3K pin for a PF. I would love to bling the hell out of this pin. I am a fan of NASCAR, but this pin just isn't worth more than $3K to the average joe. Spending $400 on a PF and then clearing it I can't justify as beautiful as that would be. Plus I'm in Canada and you guys in the States seem to have got your shit together and my dollar is worth crap again. That $400 PF is closer to $700 CAD after shipping and that's before the clear hits it.

#228 9 years ago

Well, $400USD is $500CAD. Shipping is stupid though. I'd guess $75-$100 to my location. So $600 is more realistic. It's actually cheaper for me to ship to my US address and then drive 2 hours across the border to pick it up and pay the duty/taxes.

Mustang, if you could let your economy tank again it would really help out us Canucks.

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I don't think so, I've had some pf's shipped and not all that far and it was still $50. How much would duty fees and gas to your US address and the time round trip?

If it's shipped USPS then sometimes I won't have to worry about duty or taxes. UPS? That's another story. Their brokerage fees are close to thievery. I once shipped a $200 iPod from NC to my house. Shipping was $30 (insured), brokerage was another $50 on top that, then the unavoidable taxes. UPS basically asks you to bend over. Since that day I have never used UPS. Brokerage fees are a joke. Any moron can fill out a Customs sheet. The bigger joke nowadays in eBay's Global Shipping Program, but that's another conversation.

I always request FedEx or USPS. Heck even DHL or Joe's Delivery. If the only option is UPS I look for another vendor. Marco's new shipping is almost as terrible.

For me to drive to the border it's about 1 hour. My US address is 10 minutes over the border. So in total I waste about 2 hours including pick up. There is a reason why companies like myusaddress dot ca exist. I'm paying .80 cents on your dollar. It's cheaper to drive down and pick it up. Especially large, bulky, heavy items.

1 week later
#237 9 years ago

What size Dale Jr. cars are those?

#239 9 years ago

That isn't the mod add-on tach. Looks like one you did yourself. Am I wrong? It looks great, just curious on the cost. The mod is priced ridiculously. How much did this one cost and did it take you long to wire up?

#246 9 years ago

I wish Hook would share how he created this. I wouldn't mind adding a mod similar to this using parts from my local auto supplier. I'm not a fan of the 'can' on the back of it.

#259 9 years ago

FYI... I am working on making a negative mold to replace my left ramp. I may also do the right ramp as mine is cracked. The reason I'm working on the left first is because I've never done this before and it's the smaller ramp of the two. I am going to attempt to make one out of PETG. My main reason for doing this is because ramps for this game seem to be non-existent. Plus I don't want to pay $120-$150 for another cheap ramp that's just going to break again.

Also, I've contacted Cliffy about making ramp protectors for NASCAR. All I have to do is send him the templates. Stern actually sells metal ramp protectors already, but they cost an arm and a leg from Marco.

#261 9 years ago

Guys, this is my first Stern. Could someone please explain to how the PF pivots work? How do you put mirror blades, or side art, or even a nice new coat of black paint on the cabinet without the pivots gouging the shit out of the sides of the cabinet and scratching everything to hell?

20150329_160957.jpg20150329_160957.jpg

#263 9 years ago

This just seems like a stupid system to me. Why didn't they just stick with the pivot in a bracket?

#266 9 years ago

So how do you guys keep the pivots from gouging the sides of the cabinet? You basically have to pull the PF out perfectly or you end up digging a line into the cabinet sides.

#268 9 years ago

Fixed a hole in my PF that was bugging me. This is my first attempt at something like this. I was inspired by Drano over on Pinball Revolution.

Here's the hole that was bothering me.Here's the hole that was bothering me.

Applying the Bondo.  This is my first time using this stuff.Applying the Bondo. This is my first time using this stuff.

Bondo is dry.  Ready to sand and paint.Bondo is dry. Ready to sand and paint.

Painted.  I still need to seal it with water thin super glue and polish the hell out of it.Painted. I still need to seal it with water thin super glue and polish the hell out of it.

The colour is as close as I could get it. It's a better match in person. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

#271 9 years ago

Thanks guys!

1 week later
#273 8 years ago

Very cool. So if ColorDMD hasn't created a specific file for NASCAR you can still use it and just pick any colour from the palette? Are you able to create a colour file yourself? Apparently I don't know as much as I thought about ColorDMD.

Onto another subject…

For anyone needed a left ramp for their NASCAR, here is the official email I received back from Stern regarding this part not being available anywhere.

"Hi Tim. Thanks for getting in touch. We do have these ramps on order to send to our distributors. Since it’s a replacement part these runs get prioritized below our current production runs, but they should be back in distributor stock within 10 weeks, hopefully sooner!"

So 10 weeks. I don't know if I'm going to wait that long. Especially at $100+ for the ramp. Hmm...

1 month later
#276 8 years ago

Guys do you have a spacer like this installed on both of your slings? I am just putting mine back together and noticed only the left has one. Sorry for the blurry pic. It was on the front most post.

20150328_135246.jpg20150328_135246.jpg

Oh, and could I get someone to take a photo of their right ramp entrance for me? I have two black posts here that I think should be rubber, but they are not. They're just black plastic. This whole area just seems odd to me.

20150328_144126.jpg20150328_144126.jpg

Thanks!

#280 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nope I don't. Without it does your sling plastic sit level? For some reason that plastic post looks shorter then mine. Do you have a star post on each sling down by the apron?

Yes, there is a star post on each sling closest to the apron.

Quoted from dementedwarlok:

Actually have a pic of my sling and cropped a pic of ramp entrance rubber.

20150303_144134.jpg
Screenshot_2015-05-31-23-18-06.png

For your sling I take it you don't this white spacer either?

I can't tell from your ramp pic if the left and right entrances use black rubber or if it's hard plastic. Are they rubbers? Actually I can't tell anything from your pic because it's too dark and there are too many reflections. Sorry. Do you have the same photo but in the light with the machine off?

[EDIT]
Okay, I looked in the manual. Damn Stern puts together a fantastic manual! The left post for the right ramp is supposed to have a #6-32 in the top. No washer. Both posts get black rubber posts.

For the sling, that spacer isn't supposed to be there. I'm guessing at one point it was accidentally moved from the ball return guides. I'll know for sure when I put those back together.

….

While I'm in posting, does anyone have a spare lightning plastic for sale? It's the long weird shaped one that is along the left side of the right ramp. Mine is busted into 3 pieces. It's no. -17 in the manual.

#283 8 years ago

I think that washer was added to protect the plastic that connects to the post. Well that failed big time.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Are those bulbs the old flat top ones? You really need to toss those and get Comet clear dome led's, they are sooo much better. The OCD board is a MUST for the inserts on this game. Your playfield inserts will fade and sweep like it was designed to do and it works right out of the box with no adjustments.

Those bulbs are someone's sick idea of "100% LED'd PF and GI. All of the LEDs are flat top. EVen the flashers are 8SMD flat. All of them are white. They make the inserts sickly and washed out. Of all the things driving me crazy on this machine, the LEDs are the winner.

I have Comet 1SMD (no dome) under the PF of my F-14 Tomcat. Each insert is colour matched. I went through 3 different colour LEDs for the orange inserts until I discoved warm white. The GI is all 1 SMD with frosted domes. I have two LED strips (x7 leds) installed too. One in the Yagov tunnel, and one in the LAUNCH area. It just looks awesome. All of it controlled by a LED OCD. I wouldn't have LEDs without one. Best add-on I ever bought, next to LEDs of course.

Thanks!

#285 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Awh you know what your doing, good man.

Thanks Paul! That means a lot. I spent a lot of time trying to balance the lighting on my F-14. I overspent on LEDs and had a lot leftover after the swap but I am 100% happy with my pin.

One thing I haven't done is the flashers. There is something I just enjoy about the old #89 bulbs. Have you updated the flashers on NASCAR or any other pins?

1 week later
#287 8 years ago

Guys, did NASCAR originally come with incandescent bulbs? I have these sickly white LEDs under the entire PF so I thought I'd switch some of them out to get the true colour of the inserts showing. I put in about 20 and switched on the machine. One word - gross. The yellow inserts looked almost orange. The white just looked dirty. I put the sickly white LEDs back.

This is the first time I've turned on the machine in over 2 months. I had been tearing it down to clean it and make some minor repairs. So the "you are just use to the sickly looking LEDs" does not apply here.

#289 8 years ago

Yeah, only 20 under the PF. I just wanted to see what the game looked like stock. I didn't like the look of it at all. So then I started playing around with some of the leftover LEDs I have. Trying a warm white here, a cold white there. I even tossed a blue into a few of the white inserts just to see. I'm just experimenting right now. Then I'll place an order with Comet (including the LED OCD).

Anyway, the incandescents looked terrible in it so I took them out. Yes I still have the crappy flat top dome LEDs in the game. They are the main reason I'm experimenting with my leftovers. I swapped out the reds. The reds look great colour matched. The orange needs warm white for sure. I don't know what to do with the yellow inserts. Warm and cool white look sickly. I didn't have a yellow 555 LED bulb that I could try. I'll might just take a battery, connect it to one of the yellow 44/47 LEDs I have and stick it under the PF to see what it looks like.

#291 8 years ago

Under the PF? I was using clear dome. Usually I use the domeless but I didn't have any left.

I'm really having a hard time with the yellow inserts. I just don't like the colour. It's a greenish yellow, not a pure yellow.

1 week later
#300 8 years ago

Do you have all red LEDs under the Collect R-A-C-E, Speed Shots, 250K, 300K???

#304 8 years ago

Hey guys, the ball trough assembly on my pin seems to have a hard time putting a ball into the shooter lane. Sometimes the coil puts the ball into the shooter lane without any problems. Sometimes it tries and fails and has to re-try, other times it connects so well with the ball that I think it's going to smash the pin leveller and go through the side of the pin.

It does work, but man it sounds like it is having a hard time. The inside of the trough assembly scoop is free of obstructions and clean.

Is this a common problem with Stern pins? I remember playing Metallica and every time it put a ball into the plunger lane it sounded like hell too.

#305 8 years ago

I should also mention that on rarer occasions, it will barely manage to put the ball into the shooter lane and then it'll put another ball there right afterwards so I'll end up with 2 and sometimes even 3 balls ready to be plunged. I believe this is a separate issue, but I wanted to be thorough in my description.

#307 8 years ago

Thank you. This is very helpful. I did have the entire pin taken apart to shop it. I was careful to check the welds and they are still holding. There is a weld on the garage that has broken, but none on the ball trough.

I will take a look at the opto boards. This is my first game that has optos so I wasn't sure how to service them. I see there is a section in the manual on how to do this. I will also try reflowing the solder to the opto boards as you stated.

When you say "replacing the connectors" do you mean replace the entire opto board?

#309 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

No need to replace the board, just the header pins on the old board and the connector (the part with wires) that plugs into the board.

You can order these separately???

#311 8 years ago

I haven't delved into the ball trough yet. Instead I decided to look at the garage. You guys might remember my earlier posts about the "gap" or "play" I had in the garage mechanism. Well I tried ordering new bushings, but I'm limited up here in Canada as far as part shops. Marco is the best place to order but ever since they switched over to that Global Shipping shipping costs are completely nuts for Canadians. I place my orders through Starburst and then split the shipping costs with others. Anyway… long story short I took apart the garage today.

I decided the best way to fix the slop in the garage was to insert a shim on the bearing side. I started looking around work for a piece of metal that would work. I had to try a few different ones before I found one that was the correct width and the proper fit. I inserted the thin metal into the mech, added some teflon spray, and then tightened everything back down (as per the manual warnings). I then decided to resolder the switch that tells the game that the garage is up or down. My garage had been bouncing up/down constantly. Up 3 times after hitting the START button for a game. Start a mode in the Garage and the garage popped up only to go back down and then up again. Needless to say it was annoying as hell. I removed all the crap soldering someone had done, re-stripped the wiring, tinned everything and then soldered everything back in.

I fired up the game and the Garage just sat in the PF. Crap I thought. It's broke. But I decided to start up a game anyway. The ball looped around the track and hit the Test Car as it exited the loop. To my surprise the Garage popped right up! I fired the ball into the Garage and started Bump n' Run. The ball ejected right onto my LEFT flipper! Sweet! I managed to get multiball almost immediately, and two CHAMP letters. Another few Garage modes and my game was done. Just over 78,000,000. My record high!

This game is soooooo enjoyable with a properly functioning Garage. I was having the SDTM problem due to the slop in the mech and it was so bad that I was just not having any fun playing. I ended up playing all evening and managed to finally get my name in lights twice! My son, who is 6, also put up his best game at just over 6,000,000.

I'll try to take a few pics tomorrow of what I did with the Garage slop. My goal is to figure out how to get all the Champ1 letters now. I wasn't able to figure them all out.

*Fifty goes off in search of the shot chart for the game* swampfire?

#313 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

For the loading multiple ball issue, try disconnecting and reconnecting the wires leading to the trough opto boards. Those connectors are notorious for getting dirty and having intermittent issues. If this solves it for a few games, you should consider replacing the connectors. It could also be the solder joints on the opto boards. You can try reflowing the solder on the opto boards to see if that fixes it too...
On the inconsistent loading issue, pull the apron off and look at the welds on the upper part of the trough exit. Those welds have been known to break which can lead to problems loading the ball into the shooter lane.

I did this last night too. After playing a few games I ended up with two balls in the plunger lane. The VUK kicked the ball up to the plunger lane, but failed. It fell back down into the VUK, but the ball trough had already sent another ball into the VUK so now two balls were sitting on top of the VUK and it fired two balls into the plunger lane. WTF?!

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey that's great to hear about the garage. I had a party last night and a few hours in the game went into ball search and said NO balls were in it. CRAP!!! Haven't had time to look at it yet. It's really a pisser to have a game go down to the point of having to turn it off right when your having a great party. I HATE!! that. All other games played perfectly thank God.

This is my main reason for getting NASCAR. Before I just had the 1 pin, now I have 2. 3 for me would be ideal (with one in storage so that I could rotate them in/out and so that my wife didn't know).

Here are the pictures I promised with my hack fix on the Garage;
the black strip of metal is about 3mm-4mm thickthe black strip of metal is about 3mm-4mm thick

view from straight onview from straight on

assembled, the metal strip is not visible on top of the PFassembled, the metal strip is not visible on top of the PF

I'm still having difficulties with SDTM. It was good yesterday, but seems to be back. Maybe I'm just noticing more whenever it happens? I want a permanent fix for this issue. One that doesn't involve jamming a chunk of something in the Garage VUK. The pin was designed to eject the ball to the left flipper and I want to stay true to that. There must be something that will realign this without looking like crap.

Oh, and I noticed a couple spot welds are broken on my Garage mech. I put the mech in test mode and fired a bunch of balls from it. The metal doesn't shift, or flex at all. Other than holding the unit together the broken welds don't seem to impact the direction of the ball eject.

broken weld on the back of the VUKbroken weld on the back of the VUK

broken weld inside of the VUKbroken weld inside of the VUK

#315 8 years ago

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the welds. I can figure that out. Even if it's just a quick stop into a Mom n' Pop shop to do the weld touch-ups. It's the SDTM crap that I'm trying to figure out. There has to be a better fix for this. The threads on Pinside are either hacks or are not descriptive enough (no photos) to show what was done. The main problem I have with all the solutions is that they don't really resolve the problem. Each solution is a fix for the problem and everyone just assumes that the problem is bad design. If that was the case, then all NASCAR machines would have this issue, but not all of them do. I would like to find out the root cause.

#317 8 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

I'm having 2 similar problems; intermittently when a ball drains during game play, game has to perform a Ball search to find the ball and put one in the shooter lane.
Also, the Car doesn't react to direct hard hits. Went into switch test. With Car up and garage open, it recognizes the switch when Car is moved. When Car is down, it does not recognize the switch when car is moved. Bad switch? Or is something obstructing switch when car is down?

For your first issue, it sounds like one of the micro switches in the ball trough has gone bad. If you drain inbetween the flippers, does the VUK fire? The VUK sends the ball out of the drain into the ball trough. If that fires, and I'm guessing it does it is one of the micro switches in the trough that is the issue. My guess would be the one farthest from the plunger.l

For your second issue it sounds like something is obstructing the switch. This should be pretty easy to test. Turn the game off. Now all you have to do is push on the car with your finger. You should hear an audible click. If there isn't a click it's a bad switch. If there is, then determine how far you need to push on the car with your finger for it to make that audible clicking sound. If the car has to be the entire way back then all you need to do is adjust the switch trigger.

#319 8 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

When the ball drains during game play I don't believe the VUK fires. I will check tomorrow, but I don't believe it does. Can the micro switches in trowel be adjusted?
I do not hear the switch clicking at all, yet in switch test while the car is up and garage open, it recognizes the switch. Still sounds faulty? Thanks

Figure out if the VUK fires. If it doesn't then the ball will never make it into the ball trough which would mean a ball is missing and the ball search would begin. The switches in the trough are not meant to be adjusted.

Put your ear right down to the car. You should hear it click. It doesn't matter if the switch clicks when the car is up. That never happens during gameplay. Test the switch while the car is down in switch test mode. Use a ball to test it.

1 week later
#325 8 years ago

Nah, I'm still around too. You guys haven't gotten rid of me that easily.

A pin buddy of mine decided to sell his minty WH20 and offered it up to me first. I couldn't pass on this opportunity. My two pin limit meant NASCAR had to go, but I enjoy the game and I see myself getting another one down the road.

It's a great game that is not valued enough. BMHouze it was great to meet you. Please contact me if you have any problems.

#327 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

In this hobby are you kidding me.

I'm slowly wearing my wife down. I started with one pin. Then two. Next year I'll push three. There is talk of us moving to her hometown. If that happens the floodgates are open!

#329 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Ohhhh I see, the age old hobby killer "wife" syndrome. That's why I never got married. Many years ago when the talk got serious with a couple of old girlfriends they "told" me it was either them or the Mustang.......I still have the Mustang.

My wife still gives me that look when I tell her the longest relationship I ever had was with my Jeep Cherokee (11 years). We have only been married for 8.

2 months later
#344 8 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Yes it is. I run The Winston Cup Museum Special Event Center. That is one that was used on RPM tonight. Have 20 +cars in museum.

I guess my only question would be: Why didn't you already have one of these?

1 month later
#351 8 years ago

Wow, that looks great! I totally miss my NASCAR.

3 weeks later
#356 8 years ago

Good luck finding the plastics. I never found them and I looked for 6 months including overseas. I even emailed Stern and they replied with "We'll get to them when things have slowed down a bit". That was almost a year ago, and based on the number of pins they are pushing out they will never get to them. Same goes for the ramps. You're better off spending your time creating one yourself using PEGI and water decals.

The checkered flag is a sticker, but it is one of those very thick and stiff stickers that is more plastic than paper. It's the same material as the stickers on the spinners.

#358 8 years ago

Unfortunately I've sold my NASCAR. I still lurk here though and help out where I can.

#364 8 years ago

Decals are out of stock.

That ramp is the upper part of the right ramp. That piece rarely breaks. It's the main PF ramp on the left and right that crack.

1 month later
#380 8 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Any update on this?
Bought a Grand Prix and the right ramp has a crack on the right and is missing like 1/2 inch on the left side (missing part was found elsewhere in the pin)

Sorry, no. I sold this game a while back. I wouldn't hold your breath on Stern re-running the parts either. They told me they'd do it when they had time. They're cranking out 3 new pins a year so I doubt they will EVER have time. Pretty shitty if you ask me.

3 weeks later
#405 8 years ago

1. They are not supposed to be welded to each other.

2. That plastic is from the left side of the right ramp. It's the longest plastic in the game (not including the clears). It is plastic no. 17.

3. The 'engines' are very easy to remove. The one in the front I found was much easier than the one in the back. Label all the connectors (if they aren't already labelled). Maybe a 20 minute job to remove if you go slowly.

That is the dirtiest subway I've ever seen.

#407 8 years ago

The ramps on NASCAR are the biggest pain in the ass about the pin. They all come off as one monstrous piece. It's a nightmarish hell. Oh, and don't crack or break any of the ramps because Stern is never going to redo them. I had NASCAR for 6 months. The parts were never available. Not in NA, EU, or in AU. I contacted Stern and they told me they would "do a run when they are not as busy". So don't hold your breath. That was almost a year ago.

The opto wires are fragile. Obviously remove them by pulling the connector, not by the wires. Just be gentle. Section 4 Chapter 2 Pages 94-95 explains a few things you should know about the magnet coils.

The metals are shown on Section 4 Chapter 2 Pages 102. The one with the rubber grommet attaches to the directly to the ramp. The orientation is a little weird, but just pretend you are the ball and it will make sense.

The second metal you are showing I believe is on Page 103. Part no. 18 (Plate, Left Ramp Retention) 535-9755-00. It's installed by the motor but I can't remember how.

I'll have to get NASCAR back someday.

#409 8 years ago

I bought some water decals and PEGI to build mine own but never got around to it. I'm sure there are a few owners that would like to have this one replaced.

2 months later
#444 7 years ago

Lock your first ball. Before you plunge the second ball hit the left flipper button. This will open pit row for an easy second ball lock and you'll get a "Good thinking!" from the announcer. Shhh! It's a secret of the game.

#446 7 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

ahh ok I see that now! cool.
also during game play/multiball I notice it turns on .. whats the purpose just for fun/putting balls on different flippers and control?

I don't know the answer to this one. So in multiball pit row opens? It's been a while since I've owned the game, but I don't remember that happening.

#449 7 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Didn't tell me the secret and I bought the game from you fifty...
Great game. Learn to lock from the left flipper. Way easier.

Some things are best left discovered. Oh, and you never asked.

3 weeks later
#461 7 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

Hi guys my car that spins in the hauler is not resisting when hit so no locks are registering when it's time to lock up, was hoping someone might have had this issue before an can guide me in the right direction?? Thanks in advance..

Does it just keep spinning?

1 month later
#490 7 years ago
Quoted from rviguet:

I have been shopping a Nascar for a friend and have it mostly back together. I was testing it and the lower magnets seem to not accelerate the ball enough every once in a while. About 2 times out of 10 the ball seems to go a little slow, but it makes it to the upper magnet to get accelerated and make the loop. About 1 time out of 10 the ball is slow enough that it doesn't make it to the upper magnet and falls back down to the drain. I have tested the optic switches (3 on the lower magnets and 2 on the upper magnet) and all the magnets in diagnostics. Everything seems to check out. Anyone have any ideas of what I might look for as the problem?

Make sure the magnets are properly aligned with the PF and the metal ball guides. Sling your finger over the path of the ball and see if there is anything misdirecting the ball. Test it with a ball. Listen for the sound to change as the ball goes through the magnet and comes out on the other side. It should be perfectly smooth the whole way through.

3 months later
#512 7 years ago

Test mode would be the first step. Test all the switches.

4 weeks later
#533 7 years ago

That blue is fantastic! Great choice!

1 month later
#554 7 years ago

You won't find one. I looked for over a year for one and no luck. Stern said they'd start making them when they had time but they are never going to have enough time. What has the world come to when I can buy ramps for a 1990's Williams game but I can't buy a new ramp for a 2005 Stern game? Maybe Freeplay40 would consider making them?

1 week later
#564 7 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

2) My auto-launch isnt working. It works fine if I pull the plunger back out of the way. So, it appears to me the forks are hitting the plunger head. I inspected the launch assembly and it's loose but I really don't see any more play in it than any other coil-arm mechanism I've looked at. Is it possible my shooter rod is bent?

See my thread here for this issue. I had similar difficulties.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-an-auto-kicker-suppose-to-do-this

Check to see if you have 3 washers installed as well. This is the way NASCAR shipped from Stern.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nascargrand-prix-owner-and-fan-club?tq&tu=Fifty#post-2314649

b5de6f2f03e3d02abf3b7d17f1fb8a44c8987d62.png (resized).jpgb5de6f2f03e3d02abf3b7d17f1fb8a44c8987d62.png (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#605 7 years ago

Looks good Paul! Nice plane too!

2 weeks later
#610 7 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

I put pink flipper rubbers on (from Titan) and they look great.
just wanted to share.

Pics or it didn't happen.

5 months later
#647 6 years ago

BMHouze that's just a shim I put in there to discourage lateral movement as you said. It is not actually part of the garage assembly.

#650 6 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Whew, had me a little worried when it popped up yesterday. Didn't see it in the manual.
I put it back in as I do like that it keeps it tighter.

The garage on NASCAR can absolutely wreck the game. If the garage isn't working the game is no fun at all. Thankfully the entire assembly is very easily removed from under the PF.

If I ever get another NASCAR back I'm going to put all my new 3D printing knowledge to work to find better fixes for people that have malfunctioning garages. I really enjoyed the game and I know I'll have it again someday.

1 week later
#657 6 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Really? Mine doesn't do that, I just powered on to test it, stayed down the whole time until hit. Mine is a GP if that makes a difference although I doubt it.

I remember it doing this. Originally I thought is was an error but then I realized the game is checking to see what position the garage is in. The garage may have been up when the game lost power. The only way it knows is to raise/lower the garage and reset itself.

#661 6 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

I adjusted the rubber behind it as it was binding.

Which rubber?

#668 6 years ago

I wish I could help BMHouze and I'm sorry you're going through so much difficulty with the garage.

I am really trying to follow your troubleshooting here, but I'm finding it very confusing, and I'm re-reading it just to try to make sense of it. Maybe I'm just not understanding what you are doing or maybe it's because your posting information spoken by your technician and there are some bits of information being lost in translation.

There are only two things that could be wrong with the garage.

1) Mechanical
2) Electrical

If it's a mechanical issue you will feel the garage binding when you slide it up and down. It won't lock into the upright position or it won't go back down. If it's a mechanical issue, I would check for weld cracks, warping, worn bearings, and grime. If the garage is sliding smoothly and easily and you are positive it is not a mechanical issue then I would move onto checking electrical.

If it's an electrical issue then it can only be the coils or the switch. The switch is easy enough to test. Go into switch test mode and play with the switch. Move the garage the way it would in a game to see if the switch reacts as it should. If not, then use the schematics to follow up the path to the prior component and so on and so on. If you believe it's a coil, then go into test mode and see if the coils are firing properly. If not then trace the path in the schematic to the part further up the component path.

I feel your troubleshooting is a bit all over the place. I hope this helps you out a bit.

2 weeks later
#677 6 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Logic probe day for my garage issue.
Fingers crossed.
2:50 np luck again today. Currently game plays around the garage and enters modes.
Better than the constant lifting falling of the garage.
Nascar test said check switch 39. Pulled up the garage and the switch is fine(test light went out on the nascar test). Like its reading backwards.
Tech said it could be some bad data to the cpu and I should try to play ot a bit to see if some new data will fix it.
Otherwise it may be going to his house until ita fixed.

This reminds me of people buying HDMI cables for their TVs. A $100 HDMI cable is no better signal-wise that a $6 cable. It's digital. It's 1's and 0's. On or off. Working or not working. No disrespect to your tech but you can't flush the bad data out with good data behind it.

The game is telling you something is up with switch 39 so focus on switch 39 first and don't work on anything else until this error has cleared.

#679 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How about 4k with 3D?

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. 4K is just an advertising term. Pretty much every 4K monitor advertised is actually UHD. Your $6 HDMI cable will work just as well as your $100 HDMI cable. The only difference in the cables will be build quality and brand name but the signal will be the same.

#685 6 years ago

Ack! What have you got spliced up there?

#688 6 years ago
Quoted from CookyJar:

Just joined the club, picked up a Dale JR over the weekend and loving it!
One quick comment/question. Why the start button on the lockdown bar and what type of bulb does it take? Didn't recognize socket type.
-Steve

The start button is not on the Grand Prix or NASCAR versions. For Dale Jr. I guess that added one to make it closer to how they start a racecar? I am not familiar with the bulb type. Take a quick look in the manual. It's downloadable from Stern last I checked.

#692 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Help...
So, the front right area of my right ramp broke off a while back and I seek the ramp protector that was for sale...
Please pm me any leads on one.

That ramp protector is a myth! I saw it on Marco for some astronomical price. Cliffy said he'd make me one if I sent him a template, but I sold my NASCAR before it happened. That is probably your best bet.

The right ramp will never be reproduced by Stern again either. Two years ago I asked them about it and they told me in a few weeks. I think the actual email I sent and the reply I got back are within the posts in this forum somewhere.

#694 6 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Ah, gee, thanks for selling me your Nascar Fifty.....

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this. I think you are saying it in jest, with a thin line of I screwed you over.

Any issues I ever had with this game are fully disclosed in the walls of this thread. The garage is a very common and well-known design problem with this game and I discussed the lack of replacement parts numerous times within this thread as well. I hid nothing.

The game worked 100% when I sold it to you. I even drove 4 hours to meet you. Now I'm trying to assist with troubleshooting. I think I've gone well above and beyond here. Personally, I think you need a second opinion from another technician.

I would have been willing to buy the game back from you but honestly I'm worried as to what has been done to it.

#702 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sounds like a job for Mark Freeplay 40.

I spoke to him. The current setup is too small for the large right ramp (it's fine for the left one) and the demand for this ramp is not there.

10 months later
#756 5 years ago

You definitely need to swap that transistor out before it becomes viral and infects the entire board. It's a bit odd the way it corroded on you. Definitely examine the rest of the board(s) and look for more green fuzzy stuff. It all needs to be cleaned with baking soda/water/isopropyl or whatever you are comfortable with.

#767 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

*** cliffys! ***
Note that I contacted Cliff to see if he had any cliffys for the holes, presuming that he did not and I would beg anyway. He said that he did have an empty NASCAR playfield now and that cliffys for it are on his "list of things to do". He said he has had inquiries for them. He can't work on the ramp protectors because he doesn't have a populated playfield. I encourage all interested owners to contact Cliff to put your name (with mine) on the wait/want list to show the interest in the hole cliffys. This is our chance. When I contacted Mantis people it was just a "No current plans" answer.

I contact him about ramp protectors back when I had this machine. He was more than willing to do them up, just needed a template to work from. Marco has them, but they are stupid expensive. Like $60+ bucks.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=nascar+ramp

2 months later
#786 5 years ago

I will back up Paul on this. Non-ghosting is the way to go. If you still get flickering in the odd bulb then you can tweak the settings to eliminate it. I have had 3 LED OCD boards and only ever saw flickering on 1 LED in my F-14. A simple tweak and no more flicker. For reference, I was using 1SMD bulbs from Comet.

#790 5 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Agreed on not trying to color match the inserts - though I like green for the jackpot inserts, looks way better than yellow.

I would have to agree with this as well. I tried colour matching the LEDs and I think the previous owner of the pin swapped some of them out too, but the yellows and the inserts in general are different from other inserts I've seen and tend to look under or over-saturated.

MustangPaul those white leg lights look great. I hope I get to see them IRL some day.

#794 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I haven't seen the ones in the link ... not sure how they would look on the pin if the lower track would be visible behind some of the plastics, but they look pretty good. The ones I ordered were the ones found on this search link from Tilt Graphics https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/nascar I ordered the "Generic Crowd" ones. There is a checkered flag kind of pattern there too, but I liked the crowd better ... like a Bristol track kind of thing.

I would have to see the generic crowd ones installed before having an opinion of them. That shifter knob looks cool. Not $110 cool, but cool. My OCD would constantly be rotating the plunger to keep it aligned properly. I could never have a non-symmetrical plunger.

#796 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I have that plunger installed (from a previous owner) and I know what you mean about the OCD. When I have a party and I am just walking around checking things, I keep going over after someone plays it and twist it straight so that it doesn't look odd.

Exactly what I would be doing. It needs to be keyed or something so it doesn't rotate.

6 months later
#831 4 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

Late posting, but picked up a sweet NASCAR at TPF! Pin Stadiums, LEDs, extra Hot Wheels, translite, and more. Very clean and plays great! A unique game I've always enjoyed -- even though I'm far from a fan of the sport.
Spent some time "under the hood" today, and this has GOT to be one of the heaviest playfields ever. All those assemblies... drops, diverters, test car, accelerator magnets, metal guides... the thing weighs a ton![quoted image]

Translite? Alt translite? Got any pics?

#834 4 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Did get the keychain? (thanks again fifty)

I had forgotten about that. You're welcome.

I would like to get back into this club, but even NASCAR has been priced out of my range now.

1 month later
#854 4 years ago

Wish Stern would run these again, but they won't. Not enough money in it for them.

You're best bet is to make your own.

3 weeks later
#880 4 years ago

Has anyone seen this marketplace ad? I can't believe it's a legit ad. What is NASCAR selling for in the USA? Up here in Canada it's closer to $4K now so to see one selling in NY at $2K ($3K CAD after taxes) is almost too good to be true.

Anyone know the seller?
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/81115

#882 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I would be VERY careful on that one and go and see it first hand. That price is way to low.

What's the going rate on NASCAR in the USA?

#897 4 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

It's a fun game and I like the outer track feature.
If you are serious Fifty I will do you a solid.
3500 just cuz you're the previous owner.

For anyone reading that's $3500 CAD (it case you had not clued in).

BMHouze You thinking of selling for real? That is a seriously nice offer. I know you have had issues with the garage. NASCAR can be soul ripping when it comes to the garage. Any other issues with it?

I am thinking seriously about it. Give me a day or two to get back to you. I need to check my funds. I'll PM you so as not to hijack this thread.

#899 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I noticed most Nascar have a car in the test car assembly. The one I am working on has a flat plastic with checkerboard decal on it.
TNT video also has the car. When did they change it?

My guess is that yours had a car and it was either damage or lost and replaced with the checkerboard plastic.

#907 4 years ago

I never understood why silver was chosen. Maybe it looks better on the Dale Jr. or Grand Prix versions with silver???

1 month later
#927 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Behold! The world premier of my custom translite featuring my favorite driver Kyle Busch!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Looks awesome. Well done.

1 week later
#938 4 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

I think it goes behind the truck at the end of the left ramp.[quoted image]

Yes, this is correct. That's exactly where this goes. Looks like yours has broken free from the ramp. You'll have to figure out a new way to mount it or replace the entire ramp.

6 months later
#978 4 years ago
Quoted from Herk:

I just got my Nascar Sunday. It's a great looking game but I've run into some issues.
Firstly, the ball is no longer being shot around. The magnets are hooked up and the red lights are on but they aren't doing anything.
Secondly, I can't get the translite off. The key is turning the lock but it's as if the left side isn't being released. I can lift up the right side high enough to remove it but not the left. I was going to remove the lock but I don't have a bit to fit those screws. Does anyone know what exact size bit those are?
Anyone have any thoughts on these issues?

Sounds like the cam lock is turning but the latch on the other side is not. I had this happen on a Transporter I was working on. I had to drill out the lock, but sometimes you can get lucky and just keep rotating the key and the latch will turn. It's mostly a feel thing. If you are positive it is the correct key for the back box (many keys will fit but won't turn the tumblers). Cam locks are notoriously easy to pick. Check YouTube for help if you are against pulling out your drill.

#983 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott1978:

Only had my NASCAR pin for a week, but am loving it! I only have experience with Gottlieb system 1 pins, so have a couple of questions:
1) What are the best source for parts? From what I can tell Marco has the most. Are there others that I should know about?
2) Do I need to periodically wax the playfield, or just keep it clean? It is already fast.
Thanks.

1) I found Marco was the best for NASCAR.
2) Yes and yes.

#991 4 years ago
Quoted from Herk:

I made some art blades and instruction cards today. What a difference![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice art blades. Nicest ones I've seen. The generic checkered flag ones from other vendors don't do anything for me.

1 week later
#996 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott1978:

With Atlanta and Homestead-Miami races being postponed I'm glad I can take a few laps around the track at home!
Speaking of which, last night I had a ball get caught between the rotating car and the ramp. After that ball was hit with another ball, it was freed, but not before the pin went through several cycles to try to find all the balls. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a way to keep it from happening again?

Do you mean the rotating car inside the hauler?

#998 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott1978:

Yes, that is the one.

I'm surprised it didn't blow a fuse. Was the impact plate turning or stationary when the ball got stuck?

#1000 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott1978:

I didn't actually see the moment it got caught. But given the position of the plate, I'm confident it was turning at the time it got stuck. It looked like the plate and the ball just happened to be at the same place at the same time.
It plays normally now

Until it happens again I wouldn't worry about it. It seems more like a well timed shot than a mechanical issue.

#1004 4 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Been working on this one on and off for quite a while, modified the garage to accept a diecast car I picked up from Menards for around $3.00. Also welded up the car bracket and redrilled the hole so it sits about 1/8 of an inch farther forward so I could use a pop bumper cap thats not cut off on a band saw (what an afterthought) I thought it was someones hack but not right from Stern, they must have figured that mess up out while they were on the line. So far the garage works perfect and moving it slightly forward doesnt affect gameplay. Still have more tweaking to get it all dialed in but so far its playing pretty well.
[quoted image]

Well done. I always thought that butchered bumper cap was an afterthought as well. It's not like they didn't have enough space to push the garage forward a few millimeters so it would fit a full sized one.

1 month later
#1034 4 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

This is a question for people that bought the rpm gauge from hooked on pinball.
Its installed and seems to be working good when I hit the spinner. The problem I am having it pegs out when the center drop target goes down. Once it resets it goes back down. Is this normal or should I start replacing diodes? Or is this normal and I am just over thinking this.
Side note. In test menu when I drop the center target the right spinner doesn't trigger or vis versa.

This is how it is meant to work. Not ideal, but there it is...

2 weeks later
#1050 3 years ago
Quoted from Gott1978:

Just a question about the motor behind the hauler that rotates the cars. Mine makes a noticeable noise when turning, but turns fine. Is it normal to hear it?
Thanks.

It should be faint, and barely noticeable. When the music is going you shouldn't be able to hear it.

#1052 3 years ago
Quoted from superpin:

Finally got my GP resurrected from it's sad past life as a parts machine! A lot of board repairs (battery damage) later and lots of replacement playfield components (mostly coils) she is fully functional! Pretty fun game however the garage vuk loves to shoot the ball SDTM.. I saw this a common issue an was curious if any of you could recommend a good fix.[quoted image]

Most people just cut a piece of feltac to fit and stick it to the inside right side of the VUK where it exits. When I had a NASCAR my plan was to 3D print a piece that blended nicely so that it wasn't noticeable.

4 months later
#1082 3 years ago
Quoted from Magadovski:

Hi i have problem with my grand prix, its drop the balls sometimes before its reach the upper magnets in the speedway.
i think the last lower magnets is random malefunction, can i replace it with the magnets thats are on hs getaway. MAGNET COIL A-15685
or should i buy the more expensive one from marco #500-6915-00
[quoted image][quoted image]

I would suggest buying the exact replacement. I am not a genius when it comes to magnetic coils, but if they are the same as regular coils then the number of coil wraps matter. If you get one that is not wound enough it might not be strong enough to get the ball around the track. Too many coils and it might shoot the ball pass the second magnet and screw up the timing.

You should be able to test the lower magnet. Check the wiring underneath. That area is pretty busy wire-wise. Even a partially damaged wire or partially broken solder joint could be your issue. I would look at obvious stuff first as there isn't much that can go wrong with a coil unless it burns up and that would be really obvious.

3 months later
#1110 3 years ago

I've bought these before. You use to be able to get them at Marco but I see they are out of stock.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5698-00

Might be best to call them or reach out by email.

#1113 3 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

I got the last couple that Marco had before the holidays. I was rebuilding the car drop unit that was missing a few parts. There was also some other parts that they said Stern was no longer making for that unit.

The only reason this pin doesn't sell better is because there is no aftermarket support for it. It's nearly impossible to find any of the bigger parts, ramps or plastics for it.

2 weeks later
#1125 3 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

I'm thinking of dumping my project Nascar. I think I bit off more than I can chew with this one. I have put new flipper mec, new rottendog driver board. New left ramp, LEDs for all bulbs,, but this thing has problems I don't think I have the knowledge to fix. Pm me for more information and pics. Bottom line I paid 800, I have put 500 in it. I'm looking for 1100.

Where are you located?

2 weeks later
#1163 3 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Ramp-O-Matic just saved my tail by offering to make this ramp after I broke mine. Going to be tossing it in tonight.
[quoted image]

That is awesome! Are they doing all NASCAR ramps?

#1168 3 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Not at the moment. When i broke mine and he saw my post he said it was simple enough to squeeze it in on his next batch he was making. I'm sure if there is enough interest he will make the other one also. The new material is thicker for sure.

Bummer. With the exception of the long looping ramp from behind the back panel I always though NASCAR could have had metal ramps.

1 week later
#1174 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Anyhow, rambling in hopes this helps someone down the road.

All good. I do the same thing. It helps me troubleshoot if I blog as I go.

3 weeks later
#1181 3 years ago

I second what luch says. The garage needs to function. It can have some SDTM issues, many owners just add Feltac to the inside corner to correct this. This to me is a Band-Aid, not a fix but it does work. Look for broken welds on the garage. This happens more often than not. The other biggie is the rotating car mech at the back of the playfield. Make sure the mech behind it is in good shape. Often these are cracked or broken. Obvious stuff would be burn marks from the magnets failing.

1 week later
#1185 3 years ago

You're making some great progress. I've had issue with Rotten Dog boards in the past as well. I guess they don't call them rotten for nothing!

1 week later
#1200 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Thanks. Fixing electrical stuff is my zen time. Ha. And my cussing time.
Does anyone else get super annoyed when your headlong into troubleshooting and your significant other pops in tot all about something? Or is it just me? Not sure why it gets under my skin so much, but it does.

It doesn't bother me. Mainly because it never happens. My wife doesn't go within arms reach of my pins. Not because she can't, she just doesn't give two shits about pinball. On the scale of things that interest her, pinball ranks up there with scrubbing floors, and cleaning toilets. I'm pretty sure pinball comes after both too.

PinJim It's great watching you fix this pin up. I like to think I have skills, but yours are definitely more advanced than mine. I will toot my own horn here a bit though as I've solved a couple issues in the past that had even the experienced techs shaking their heads.

That plastic is notorious for being broken. The damn thing is so skinny at one point that it looks like it was almost created to break. You're best to just get one cut and do up a few other ones. I'm sure there are a few in here that would purchase one or two for their own NASCARS. I wonder if the Dale Jr. or Grand Prix versions break as much?

Keep up the great work.

#1211 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Since your not selling these and I sold my pin and I would not hang this on my wall. What would the not for sale price be for me not to hang on my wall and throw in the trash?

I would also NOT like to buy one of these. I'm NOT in Ontario.

#1218 3 years ago

The build quality IS below WPC/Bally/Williams games. NASCAR was my first "modern" pin so the differences between them stood out like a sore thumb to me. Those light clips ARE super delicate. They will break if you look at them the wrong way.

The garage mech on this pin is completely under-engineered. The fact that it doesn't use bearings is ridiculous. Slide bushings? I mean seriously? How cheap can you get? This is the main component of the game and they cheaped out there. It's a horrible mech. I've always wanted to re-engineer it. The weld break is very common. It looks like you're missing a piece of the metal completely?

#1220 3 years ago

In your third pic, I don't remember that being open like that. It's been a while though. Maybe one of the other owners here can provide more info.

2 weeks later
#1225 3 years ago

PinJim looks fantastic!

1 week later
#1239 2 years ago
Quoted from Guydudebreaux:

Just finished restoring a NASCAR, because I always like the game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wonderful job! My main problem with NASCAR has always been the throw away decals on everything and the generic signage. I love what you have done. I had plans to update the decals/signage and tower as well but sold mine before it happened. For the drops, my idea was to put 5-0-0 and create a Daytona sign for above it. The spinners were going to get car logos like you have done. I had plans to update that shitty Saturday Night sign in the back and the boring TEST CAR signs.

I really like the way you updated the ramps with proper cars and roadway. I hated the STERN yellow stickers with a passion. So much potential with this pin, but understandable why they dumbed it down so much. Royalties and sponsors would have been a real pain in the ass.

My largest plan was to replace that shitty truck in the back left of the playfield for a real diecast version.

#1249 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Anyone have an led ocd board in their nascar? Any videos?

MustangPaul has one.

2 weeks later
#1260 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

anyone else sometimes have their ball caught caught up right here? (yellow circle)[quoted image]

That shouldn't happen. Especially if your pops are really snappy and the rubber isn't flat. Try rotating the rubber a bit to get some fresh bounce in there and maybe close the gap a bit on the pop.

1 month later
#1297 2 years ago

Damn that translite is SWEET. Now we just need someone to fix the design of the truck in the back left corner. Ugh... so bland.

#1299 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

I think we need more pics of that topper!! Thanks for the shout out to my translight!!! And great score up at 89 mill!! Def happy to be back!
Actually i think a tour of all the mods would be great, colordmd, funky speaker panel, modded car for the garage etc.

Ha ha, I did notice that topper but didn't think of it as one to be honest. Great look!

The translite you made is one of the nicest ones I've seen. I am still thinking of getting another NASCAR. It's the only pin I've sold that I've ever really missed. I wish it was easier to get parts for it. Some of the stuff is difficult to find. The garage needs a better design in my opinion too. Where are all the engineers? Ha!

#1303 2 years ago

My fav shot was always nailing the drops on the right side. They're kinda tucked away and difficult to get at but great when you line them up and nail them down. Spinners were always a blast as well, and I quite enjoyed the hidden left flipper plunge trick to lock your ball and just the other little details you normally don't get with pins nowadays.

I mean you got spinners, pops, ramps, drops, racetrack oval, ramp through the backboard, newton ball, and a ruleset that's actually quite deep. Not to mention the garage mech. There's just a lot packed into this one.

1 month later
#1317 2 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

After 10 years I've rejoined the Nascar club.
This game is doing something I don't remember my old game doing.
Whenever the game is powered up, or reset after going into the menu, the game will eject all 4 balls into the shooter lane and then auto plunge them. Once all 4 are back in the trough it will play just fine and never do it again. Until the next power up.
Game is running 4.5 code. I've checked all of the trough and upkicker switches/optos and all seem to be working in the switch test.
Is this normal behavior? I think not, but of course I could be wrong.

This is not normal behaviour.

6 months later
#1381 2 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

man alive, LOVE when problems are easy fixes. nice work.
in other news, i have a couple of SECONDS of my nascar translite. I don't really want to see them doing nothing, OR in a landfill, so if you shoot me a PM i'll send these out at a special price.
Demolition Man and Last Action Hero are available as well.
[quoted image]

These are super nice. Wish I get a NASCAR again, but it isn't in the cars right now. I need to finish a garage edition.

1 month later
#1386 1 year ago

I'd say you're almost there.

#1389 1 year ago

I wish someone would 3D print a mod for the tower. The existing one always made me think that Stern ran out of time. It's so bland.

1 month later
#1411 1 year ago

I'd double check that you have the correct coil stop part in there. If you turn off the game and release the catch so that the garage drops down it should be flush with the playfield. The garage just uses gravity to lower itself, so there has to be something not fitted correctly or an incorrect part somewhere.

#1417 1 year ago

Congrats.

3 months later
#1450 1 year ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Are dale cabs not drilled for a start button on the left of the coin dr?

I was going to ask the same thing. I don't know why this is even needed.

#1454 1 year ago
Quoted from trueno92:

I think i remember reading this that stern got super lazy and i guess the hole drilling guy went on strike and since tournament mode was not used on dale jr games, they wired the start button to the lock down bar button.

Learned something new today. I guess no one else at the factory knew how to adjust the chuck on a drill. I would have thought the hole was automatically CNC'd out of the front panel. I'm curious to know if it was and then backfilled with a plug. Moving it to the lockdown bar is just dumb and lazy. If I had a Dale I would definitely do what Spiderpin did, or probably even drill out the cabinet and put it where it should be.

1 week later
#1458 1 year ago

Are you sure that's brown/blue? It looks dirty white/blue in the photo.

The manual for this pin is fantastic. It should help you narrow down what goes where. It can be grabbed right off the Stern website.

6 months later
#1514 11 months ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Only optical switches back there and they seem to be registering correctly. I believe the culprit is a bad driver. Does not test like the others. Diode on motor also tests good.
New driver is on order and I’ll update the thread when i install it.
Most nascar pin owners would never notice it’s even out of spec, but iirc there are certain game modes where it does stop in target open or closed.

I'd notice. It would bug the hell out of me like it is for you.

For the driver, is it specific to this target? I'm just wondering if there is another that you could use to swap it and test momentarily.

#1527 11 months ago

I see it, but I would guess it's just bad coding or just a bad design choice? I don't have my NASCAR any more to check.

Quoted from trueno92:

Honestly i look at how much crap is packed into nascar and man it deserves betfer....
Imagine if the track was elevated and the pf could be normal size!!

This is the only pin I ever sold that I wanted back. I didn't have it long enough and really like the layout. It has everything. Spinners, Pops, Drops, Loops, Ramps, Bash Toy, Captive Ball. It doesn't get the props it deserves. Super deep as well. If someone could replace the soundtrack or add more songs it'd be great. I always thought of converting it from NASCAR to just a Daytona500 pin. Not a big leap, but just less NASCAR logos.

3 weeks later
#1583 11 months ago
Quoted from trueno92:

I really wanted to make that truck a smaller truck opening in front of a race track grandstand or something. The layout can totally bag a nicer theme. Has so much going for it…

Agreed. The truck sucks. There is so much potential in this game for great logos and images but I'm sure it would have cost Stern a fortune for all the rights to use them, so we ended up with generic graphics. Just look at the stickers on the spinners. Lame!

The lighting on the truck is terrible, but the whole truck needs to be updated with a scale model.

2 weeks later
#1668 10 months ago
Quoted from FarAway:

Still loving the NASCAR...
Question:
When the bar exits the garage (under the test car), it goes straight down the middle and is literally untouchable with either flipper. I don't believe this is normal. Can someone help me out, when the ball exits where should it be aimed and what it is hitting first?
Also, when adjusting this... what is the best practice? Is something bent and reshaped or does kicker just needing adjusting/ realigning?
thanks!

Known issue on NASCAR. Easy fix is to cut/trim some Feltac strips and put them on the right side of the scoop. Canadian link to what I'm talking about (I'm too lazy to look for the American version).
https://www.rona.ca/en/product/self-adhesive-felt-pads-eco-sheet-4-1-2-x-6-2-pk-01015349

#1673 10 months ago
Quoted from FarAway:

Thank you Fifty & trueno92
Here is a pic of the scoop.
Do I have the red arrow pointing to spot for the felt pad? It doesn't look like the ball strikes there.
Or will the mylar on the scoop section be enough?
Anyone have a picture of the "fix"?
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Yes, that's the side. It's just sticky felt so adjust as needed. I'm sure each game is unique. I always wanted to design something more pleasing to the eye with a 3D printer to slide in there and redirect the ball but that was when 3D printers were just becoming more mainstream.

1 week later
#1686 10 months ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Well took it all apart I can’t see where it’s bent I wil order a new one though really don’t see what else it can be at this point everything else checks out
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That bracket looks terribly oxidized but functional. I don't see what a new one would accomplish.

1 month later
#1704 8 months ago

You need to find out what L2 is and where switch 34 is. You'll be able to find this info in the manual. The manual is great for this game. Once you find the locations you can start narrowing things down.

#1706 8 months ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

It’s the lower right opto light is I’m going to swap the wires to the opto next to it and makes sure it’s just a bad opto this weekend

It could just be dirty, or a bad solder connection. Give is a quick clean (both of them) and verify the solder job is good (no frayed wires)

#1714 8 months ago

Opto's are pretty cheap. Get a few sets just in case. Where the heck did you get this thing? I hope the seller disclosed all the issues and/or you got it for a decent price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.95
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Black Mountain, NC
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Phoenixville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fifty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nascargrand-prix-owner-and-fan-club?tu=fifty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.