• Latest reply 7 days ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 56 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you reached Champion Challenge?”

• No, but I will some day! 62 votes
    60%
  • Yes, and it was like kissing Danica Patrick with Journey playing in the background 32 votes
    31%
  • Yes, pretty good but could have been better 7 votes
    7%
  • Yes, and I was disappointed 2 votes
    2%

(103 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4505 (resized).jpeg
395318953_302141939305935_9197749323100653698_n (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_7828 (resized).jpg
IMG_7830 (resized).jpg
Nascar-Pinball-Machine-9 (resized).jpg
20230712_194745 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0531 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,779 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 36.
#1551 11 months ago

I replaced the coil and a new diode and it continues to blow the fuse. I checked the wires to make sure the wires were not shorted to ground. I was going to send the boards out for service to find out if the transistor was the issue.

#1552 11 months ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I replaced the coil and a new diode and it continues to blow the fuse. I checked the wires to make sure the wires were not shorted to ground. I was going to send the boards out for service to find out if the transistor was the issue.

Ah yes I remember you saying you replaced them. Likely the transistor is shorted at this point, it's not super difficult to troubleshoot if you have a DMM, however if you'd rather send the board out for repair I'd understand.

#1553 11 months ago

I do have a DMM but I do not know the procedure of testing a transistors with it installed in the board.

#1554 11 months ago

I was looking at the manual, looks like even in the manual it indicates that pin 3 is supposed to be cut.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1555 11 months ago

Nurbtadtic, remove the coil and inspect the diode to ensure it indeed making contact across both coil lugs?

#1556 11 months ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Nurbtadtic, remove the coil and inspect the diode to ensure it indeed making contact across both coil lugs?

I didn't have my camera at the time but I assure you it was. I'm starting to think the transistors I have may be counterfeit, so I'll wait til my replacements from Marco come in and update once I swap those in.

#1557 11 months ago

Make sure to test the trannys before you install them. You may need to ground them out first which just means bridging the leads with a screw driver before install

#1558 11 months ago

This why I'm not an expert on diagnose a pinball machines. I wish I had more time to be around people that understand what to check for and why...

#1559 11 months ago

I'm still shopping for a grand prix if any of you wonderful people are interested in leaving the club so I can join it. Lol

#1560 11 months ago

Should be many out there! And man it’s such a great game when it’s working as it should!!

#1561 11 months ago

Update, Put the transistor I got from marco in.. and presto! it works now without locking the coil. My machine has a nasty lean rn from working on it, but I'll level it out tomorrow probably and try some full test games, I shot the left ramp and the coil fired perfectly, looks like we may be back in business. I'll update again but I figured I'd share it here.

#1562 11 months ago

Still in the market.

Quoted from trueno92:

Should be many out there! And man it’s such a great game when it’s working as it should!!

PXL_20230513_031222309 (resized).jpgPXL_20230513_031222309 (resized).jpg
#1563 11 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Still in the market.

Likely may take some patience, this is a game where they come up, but not all the time. I'm also not sure how many Grand Prix were specifically made.

#1564 11 months ago

10-4. I'm waiting. Patiently. Sort of lol.

Quoted from MrNurbtastic:Likely may take some patience, this is a game where they come up, but not all the time. I'm also not sure how many Grand Prix were specifically made.

#1565 11 months ago
Quoted from MrNurbtastic:

Update, Put the transistor I got from marco in.. and presto! it works now without locking the coil. My machine has a nasty lean rn from working on it, but I'll level it out tomorrow probably and try some full test games, I shot the left ramp and the coil fired perfectly, looks like we may be back in business. I'll update again but I figured I'd share it here.

Congratulations on getting it repaired

#1566 11 months ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Congratulations on getting it repaired

Thanks! Luckily we have a lot of helpful people here on pinside to help my amateur self work through issues. Good luck getting yours back on the right track! Hopefully you can get yours on the right track and that it's nothing too difficult, I'm usually in this thread looking anyway.

#1567 11 months ago
Quoted from MrNurbtastic:

Awesome!

So I put in a new transistor for my truck issue and no dice. Same behaviour. Pretty sure that transistor tested back but I guess not..

Back to the drawing board for me.

#1568 11 months ago

Thought for sure I had one bought. Fell through. Still on the hunt lol.

#1570 11 months ago

Thanks for the updates on getting it fixed.

#1571 11 months ago

these were the settings that seemed to have been misadjusted...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#1572 11 months ago

If anyone has the hookedonpinball tachometer mod. they want to sell?
Hit me up. Cheers!

#1573 11 months ago

Does anyone have the specs on how it was made or some photos? I'm sure it can be created.

#1574 11 months ago

So I'm finally back on Dale Jr on the topside tear down and making some changes. I decided to replace the pop bumper skrits to transparent red and go with red pop bumper caps on all three. For lightning inside the pop bumper cap I'm using this from comet pinball. https://www.cometpinball.com/products/pop-bumper-discs

I will say dealing with the wiring for pop bumper sucks.....

Let know your thoughts on the skirt colors....

20230528_075823 (resized).jpg20230528_075823 (resized).jpg20230528_075907 (resized).jpg20230528_075907 (resized).jpg20230528_080224 (resized).jpg20230528_080224 (resized).jpg
#1575 11 months ago

Those skirts look pretty good.yes the wiring sucks as u get to see how much junk is crammed on the bottom, watch for the diode strip where iirc some of the pop switches have their diodes relocated there.

#1576 11 months ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

So I'm finally back on Dale Jr on the topside tear down and making some changes. I decided to replace the pop bumper skrits to transparent red and go with red pop bumper caps on all three. For lightning inside the pop bumper cap I'm using this from comet pinball. https://www.cometpinball.com/products/pop-bumper-discs
I will say dealing with the wiring for pop bumper sucks.....
Let know your thoughts on the skirt colors....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I went with a different version of those LEDs on my pop bumpers and it's 1000% improvement. So much brighter that the standard LED bulbs.

#1577 11 months ago

Just cleaning parts .......

20230528_100359 (resized).jpg20230528_100359 (resized).jpg
#1578 11 months ago

Ball guide rails clean and waxed. I had to make a pit stop for kielbasa eggs green peppers onion and cheese.

20230528_114851 (resized).jpg20230528_114851 (resized).jpg
#1579 11 months ago

Did not get a lot completed later in the day. I will work on more today. My back is hurting from working on it yesterday.

20230529_062310 (resized).jpg20230529_062310 (resized).jpg20230529_062322 (resized).jpg20230529_062322 (resized).jpg
#1580 11 months ago

Almost there.......The main ramp and how it's made is just silly.

20230529_151035 (resized).jpg20230529_151035 (resized).jpg
#1581 11 months ago

The lights for the car hauler is terrible. I don't have time to work on this today but I will convert it to a LED strip.....

20230529_151727 (resized).jpg20230529_151727 (resized).jpg
#1582 11 months ago

I really wanted to make that truck a smaller truck opening in front of a race track grandstand or something. The layout can totally bag a nicer theme. Has so much going for it…

#1583 11 months ago
Quoted from trueno92:

I really wanted to make that truck a smaller truck opening in front of a race track grandstand or something. The layout can totally bag a nicer theme. Has so much going for it…

Agreed. The truck sucks. There is so much potential in this game for great logos and images but I'm sure it would have cost Stern a fortune for all the rights to use them, so we ended up with generic graphics. Just look at the stickers on the spinners. Lame!

The lighting on the truck is terrible, but the whole truck needs to be updated with a scale model.

#1584 11 months ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Agreed. The truck sucks. There is so much potential in this game for great logos and images but I'm sure it would have cost Stern a fortune for all the rights to use them, so we ended up with generic graphics. Just look at the stickers on the spinners. Lame!
The lighting on the truck is terrible, but the whole truck needs to be updated with a scale model.

Yup, this and the habittrail diverter being a flag tower would be awesome.. just no time.

And a pin sound card to modify the sounds.

#1585 11 months ago

It's completely assembled. Now I need to figure out why the garage up and down coil blows the fuse.

Additional items will be added....
Pinsound Card
Color DMD
Do something with the car hauler
Pinblades
HD Glass
Dale Jr is going to sign the back glass

Any thoughts on better grade of a steel pinballs?

Any items people would suggest.......?

20230529_170745 (resized).jpg20230529_170745 (resized).jpg

#1586 11 months ago

Nice list of stuff to do. You covered all the bases, maybe get the hurst shooter rod and some checkered flag emblems as speaker decals.

One thing that makes a huge difference is adding an LED OCD board if you are running leds for the inserts. If i had a choice between colordmd and ledocd, id go led ocd as there are some great insert animations and the fade contriol makes a huge difference.

If dale is gonna sign the translite, id take the apron as well and have him sign it in nice broad silver metallic marker.

#1587 11 months ago

Just adding this back again, not trying to spam, but for the love of baby jesus, someone sell me a Grand Prix. LOL Happy Memorial Day everyone, thanks to anyone who served, serves, or supports.

#1588 11 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Just adding this back again, not trying to spam, but for the love of baby jesus, someone sell me a Grand Prix. LOL Happy Memorial Day everyone, thanks to anyone who served, serves, or supports.

Grandprix is goong to be a bit more rare as all grandprix were export for eu only, while domestic was all nascar.

#1589 11 months ago

Ya... I know. There are quite a few here in the US, I just need to find one of you ready to change games. LOL. I caught the last one right as it sold and another that's on route is beat to shit but the guy won't sell it, just keeps running it beat to shit lol

#1590 11 months ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Nice list of stuff to do. You covered all the bases, maybe get the hurst shooter rod and some checkered flag emblems as speaker decals.
One thing that makes a huge difference is adding an LED OCD board if you are running leds for the inserts. If i had a choice between colordmd and ledocd, id go led ocd as there are some great insert animations and the fade contriol makes a huge difference.
If dale is gonna sign the translite, id take the apron as well and have him sign it in nice broad silver metallic marker.

I have the Hurst Shooter rod installed. I upgraded to LEDS and Titan Rings. Purchased new apron cards.

The Tach mod I forgot about. I researched it some. I'm not sure what Tach hooked on pinball used...
And I need to upgrade the speakers....Suggestions?

Checkered flags for the speaker grill? Where can I buy them?

#1591 11 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Ya... I know. There are quite a few here in the US, I just need to find one of you ready to change games. LOL. I caught the last one right as it sold and another that's on route is beat to shit but the guy won't sell it, just keeps running it beat to shit lol

Thats a tough one if an op wont let it shake loose!

Get a similar shape nascar kf he would be up for a trade?
Wont be very economical but i think it should get u there.

#1592 11 months ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I have the Hurst Shooter rod installed. I upgraded to LEDS and Titan Rings. Purchased new apron cards.
The Tach mod I forgot about. I researched it some. I'm not sure what Tach hooked on pinball used...

Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I think these could work
https://www.amazon.com/AK-Wall-Art-Checkered-Racing/dp/B07JQ1J4BW

Measure them out to see how big they are but this and a little double sided tape and ur done.

#1593 11 months ago
Quoted from trueno92:

I think these could work
amazon.com link »
Measure them out to see how big they are but this and a little double sided tape and ur done.

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/

Screenshot_20230530_095235_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230530_095235_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1594 11 months ago

I also was thinking I need a NASCAR Topper. I guess I need to make a custom one......

#1595 11 months ago

That's not a bad idea but his will need much love, he maintains the games poorly, to say the least.

Quoted from trueno92:

Thats a tough one if an op wont let it shake loose!
Get a similar shape nascar kf he would be up for a trade?
Wont be very economical but i think it should get u there.

#1596 11 months ago

I have been looking for the tack mod forever I even reached out to hooked on pinball to see if they would make another run no dice

70698660922__900CA186-9CB4-42B8-9B5C-0A11B85EBC88 (resized).jpeg70698660922__900CA186-9CB4-42B8-9B5C-0A11B85EBC88 (resized).jpeg
#1597 11 months ago

Nice setup!!!

#1598 11 months ago

Thanks I got rid of All my new pinball games I like this era wayyy better I’m my opinion lol

#1599 11 months ago

I was hoping after all this time someone would of made another tack mod

#1600 11 months ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Thanks I got rid of All my new pinball games I like this era wayyy better I’m my opinion lol

This era is cool in that it’s very mode focused but it’s not at all linear for nascar.

If you had a new ff or gz, send it up my way!!

You should try some de games like last action hero as well. Very similar style of play. Start a mode, do this, stack it with another mode, get multiball on the stack etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Phoenixville, PA
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,779 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nascargrand-prix-owner-and-fan-club/page/32 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.