• Latest reply 10 days ago by hawkeyexx
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you reached Champion Challenge?”

• No, but I will some day! 61 votes
    60%
  • Yes, and it was like kissing Danica Patrick with Journey playing in the background 32 votes
    31%
  • Yes, pretty good but could have been better 7 votes
    7%
  • Yes, and I was disappointed 2 votes
    2%

(102 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4505 (resized).jpeg
395318953_302141939305935_9197749323100653698_n (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_7828 (resized).jpg
IMG_7830 (resized).jpg
Nascar-Pinball-Machine-9 (resized).jpg
20230712_194745 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0531 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,768 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 36.
#1101 3 years ago

Joined the club today. It is in ruff shape. Audits shows 40152 plays. This thing looks to have been used hard for sure. It does have the tops tournament kit. It is by far the worst shape machine I have bought. It will be my long term project for sure. I don't mind saying I paid 800 for it. It doesn't have a normal coin door. It had a card reader on it I think. It has a broken left ramp so Ill have to find one. Probably replace all of them if I can find them. Both flippers are pretty much gone. It has the flipper basses, and is missing a right flipper coil. Let then fun begin.

20201102_211905 (resized).jpg20201102_211905 (resized).jpg20201102_211914 (resized).jpg20201102_211914 (resized).jpg20201102_211921 (resized).jpg20201102_211921 (resized).jpg20201102_211923 (resized).jpg20201102_211923 (resized).jpg20201102_211928 (resized).jpg20201102_211928 (resized).jpg20201102_211938 (resized).jpg20201102_211938 (resized).jpg

#1102 3 years ago

Has anyone put the grand prix roms in nascar?

#1103 3 years ago
Quoted from diode:

Has anyone put the grand prix roms in nascar?

I swapped out the CPU and Display ROMS while doing the ColorDMD for NASCAR and Grand Prix - worked just fine.
I didn’t change the sound or any other chips.
Some of the modes have different names. The two share a lot of DMD images - like the Semi Hauler and the tank top wearing Fan

#1104 3 years ago

So the modes are the same just some different images thanks madmax was curious if it worked

#1105 3 years ago

So I started the playfield disassembly today. I found one spot on the left where two screws pushed up the wood in the left lane. Sucks, but its getting a playfield protector anyway. After I was done I turned the machine on, and now I don't get any of the insert's lighting. They were running before. The CPU board doesn't seem to have any power as the LEDs on the board are not lit. I checked the fusses and they test good. So I'm not sure where to look. Also now the DMD says Stern Pinball NASCAR, but before It was running as it should. Any ideas? V/R

20201103_171031 (resized).jpg20201103_171031 (resized).jpg20201103_171135 (resized).jpg20201103_171135 (resized).jpg20201103_171157 (resized).jpg20201103_171157 (resized).jpg20201103_171226 (resized).jpg20201103_171226 (resized).jpg
#1106 3 years ago

Got the sound/cpu board working? It was the +5V wire not in the right spot

1 week later
#1107 3 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Joined the club today. It is in ruff shape. Audits shows 40152 plays. This thing looks to have been used hard for sure. It does have the tops tournament kit. It is by far the worst shape machine I have bought. It will be my long term project for sure. I don't mind saying I paid 800 for it. It doesn't have a normal coin door. It had a card reader on it I think. It has a broken left ramp so Ill have to find one. Probably replace all of them if I can find them. Both flippers are pretty much gone. It has the flipper basses, and is missing a right flipper coil. Let then fun begin.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yup your in for a fun time. Hope it turns out good for you and you don't have to sink to much $$$$$ into it.

#1108 3 years ago

After a full teardown and troubleshooting I'm pretty sure I have bad MosFets on the driver board. So a board fix or a new Rottendog is in the works.

2 months later
#1109 3 years ago

Hey, guys. I have a buddy searching for the wacky pivot but for the car. Looks like the only places that carry it are overseas. Anyone know a source?
It's a pivot nut 3/8
#530-5698-00
NASCAR
Thanks!

#1110 3 years ago

I've bought these before. You use to be able to get them at Marco but I see they are out of stock.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5698-00

Might be best to call them or reach out by email.

#1111 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I've bought these before. You use to be able to get them at Marco but I see they are out of stock.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5698-00
Might be best to call them or reach out by email.

Yeah, that's the closest I got and saw it was out of stock... I guess an email can't hurt. Thanks

#1112 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Hey, guys. I have a buddy searching for the wacky pivot but for the car. Looks like the only places that carry it are overseas. Anyone know a source?
It's a pivot nut 3/8
#530-5698-00
NASCAR
Thanks!

I got the last couple that Marco had before the holidays. I was rebuilding the car drop unit that was missing a few parts. There was also some other parts that they said Stern was no longer making for that unit.

#1113 3 years ago
Quoted from thepinballworks:

I got the last couple that Marco had before the holidays. I was rebuilding the car drop unit that was missing a few parts. There was also some other parts that they said Stern was no longer making for that unit.

The only reason this pin doesn't sell better is because there is no aftermarket support for it. It's nearly impossible to find any of the bigger parts, ramps or plastics for it.

#1114 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It's a pivot nut 3/8
#530-5698-00

Let me check my parts drawer when I get home tonight. I remember buying a spare, but I don't know if I sent it with the game when I sold it.

#1115 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Let me check my parts drawer when I get home tonight. I remember buying a spare, but I don't know if I sent it with the game when I sold it.

That would be awesome, thank you.

#1116 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

That would be awesome, thank you.

Sorry man, I must have left the parts in the coin box when I sold it.

#1117 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Sorry man, I must have left the parts in the coin box when I sold it.

Dang. Well thanks for the thought!

1 week later
#1118 3 years ago

Joined the club this week. Its going to need some attention. Very dirty, and the test car is not responding to hits. But should clean up pretty nice.

140175463_10224896306336205_3584396084730687169_o (resized).jpg140175463_10224896306336205_3584396084730687169_o (resized).jpg140319046_10224896306376206_8409576509545834372_o (resized).jpg140319046_10224896306376206_8409576509545834372_o (resized).jpg
#1119 3 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

test car is not responding to hits

Easy spot for broken solder. That's what mine was when I picked it up.

#1120 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It's a pivot nut 3/8
#530-5698-00
NASCAR
Thanks!

Regular nut + blue locktite will get the job done. I'm missing the correct pivot nut as well.

#1121 3 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Regular nut + blue locktite will get the job done. I'm missing the correct pivot nut as well.

Thanks. I suggested exactly that, but he likes things "right"

#1122 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Thanks. I suggested exactly that, but he likes things "right"

For anyone who wants to do things wrong, zip ties also work.

1 week later
#1123 3 years ago

Can somebody take a picture or let me know how the start button should be wired?

#1124 3 years ago

I'm thinking of dumping my project Nascar. I think I bit off more than I can chew with this one. I have put new flipper mec, new rottendog driver board. New left ramp, LEDs for all bulbs,, but this thing has problems I don't think I have the knowledge to fix. Pm me for more information and pics. Bottom line I paid 800, I have put 500 in it. I'm looking for 1100.

#1125 3 years ago

I'm thinking of dumping my project Nascar. I think I bit off more than I can chew with this one. I have put new flipper mec, new rottendog driver board. New left ramp, LEDs for all bulbs,, but this thing has problems I don't think I have the knowledge to fix. Pm me for more information and pics. Bottom line I paid 800, I have put 500 in it. I'm looking for 1100.

Where are you located?

#1126 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Where are you located?

In Louisville KY.

#1127 3 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:In Louisville KY.

Wish it was closer.

#1128 3 years ago

What's wrong with it? Maybe we can help?

#1129 3 years ago

it blows the 3 Amp flipper fuse on power up, it has a tilt issues when cn5 is hooked up, the playfield has some wear on the center drain, and car mec hole, and a some wood coming up in the left lane. The canter playfield is in pretty good shape. The left ramp is new. The Truck motor doesn't work. It has the TOPPs tournaments kit, but not remote for the display. The DMD is good and bright. I'm sure more issues also. Oh and I'm sure an opto board or two could be bad. All can be fixed, but I just don't have the skill for a long term project at this point. I replaced the driver board with the rottendog, but still get the 3 Amp fuse issues with the flippers so I'm pretty sure it isn't the new board, the coin door is a card swipe one so no coin mecs. Long story short its going to take more than I can do

#1130 3 years ago

it blows the 3 Amp flipper fuse on power up, it has a tilt issues when cn5 is hooked up, the playfield has some wear on the center drain, and car mec hole, and a some wood coming up in the left lane. The canter playfield is in pretty good shape. The left ramp is new. The Truck motor doesn't work. It has the TOPPs tournaments kit, but not remote for the display. The DMD is good and bright. I'm sure more issues also. Oh and I'm sure an opto board or two could be bad. All can be fixed, but I just don't have the skill for a long term project at this point. I replaced the driver board with the rottendog, but still get the 3 Amp fuse issues with the flippers so I'm pretty sure it isn't the new board, the coin door is a card swipe one so no coin mecs. Long story short its going to take more than I can do

OK.... thats a pretty long list LOL.

Mine is not so much a project. It plays and everything except the test car works. Hopefully i can get it in the house soon and start tearing it apart. I got a little taken back by how many of those damn stern lamp sockets were under the playfield! Not looking forward to that.

As far as the fuse issue on yours.... have you checked for shorted wires in the harness?

#1131 3 years ago

I started too. Then I think I shorted something and then the damn tilt issues when CN5 is plugged in. With the Hollidays I set it aside and got frustrated looking at it

#1132 3 years ago

I started too. Then I think I shorted something and then the damn tilt issues when CN5 is plugged in. With the Hollidays I set it aside and got frustrated looking at it

I feel ya. Sometimes you just have to walk away from something for a little bit and reboot. Dont give up though. Everything can be fixed.

#1133 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Can somebody take a picture or let me know how the start button should be wired?

Still hoping for some help here. When I got the nascar the cpu needed some work and the start button was not wired. Cpu is fixed but I can't start a game. There was an extra start button at the bottom when I got it as well indicating somebody tried to fix before me.

#1134 3 years ago

Well I was informed by the wife she wants me to keep it and get the thing working. She is a big Nascar fan so I guess I have some parts to order. I think i replied to everyone one who PMd me. V/R

#1135 3 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

Still hoping for some help here. When I got the nascar the cpu needed some work and the start button was not wired. Cpu is fixed but I can't start a game. There was an extra start button at the bottom when I got it as well indicating somebody tried to fix before me.

Here you go.

16119339358627959317394087417660 (resized).jpg16119339358627959317394087417660 (resized).jpg
#1136 3 years ago
16119340560284422862646395476230 (resized).jpg16119340560284422862646395476230 (resized).jpg
#1137 3 years ago

Just put a color dmd in mine. Can't get over how fun this game is to play. Lifting the playfield exposes how much was packed into this game. The track never gets old for me, when there yelling 3 wide feels like I'm clutching the steering wheel and hanging on for dear life!
WOOOHOOO! best bargain in pinball imo.

#1138 3 years ago

Thanks for the pic TP!!!

#1139 3 years ago

Well I was informed by the wife she wants me to keep it and get the thing working. She is a big Nascar fan so I guess I have some parts to order. I think i replied to everyone one who PMd me. V/R

I've been hearing of this uprising of some of the wives ... must be the covid isolation that is getting more wives interested. My wife wont let me sell anything. A couple of years ago she was okay with a long term plan to fill up a room and then just rotate in new/different pins. Instead, I'll be knocking down another wall in the basement in a month or two to make more room. Gosh darn.

#1140 3 years ago
Quoted from tp:

Just put a color dmd in mine. Can't get over how fun this game is to play. Lifting the playfield exposes how much was packed into this game. The track never gets old for me, when there yelling 3 wide feels like I'm clutching the steering wheel and hanging on for dear life!
WOOOHOOO! best bargain in pinball imo.

I'm ordering a colorDMD for it this weekend. I guess I will need to keep this pin at least another year to make it worth while.

[see my post above]

#1141 3 years ago

Ok this fn maxhine is the bane of my existence. Today I broke the back box glass, and after some trouble shooting I think my rottendog board has two bad mosfetts q15 ,and q16 the flippers ones. What are the fn chances the board had the same thing wrong as the old board? I checked as far as I can tell all the wires are hooked up right. Oh and when I tell the wife she's was like "well fix that sh-- I want to play it" ugh

#1142 3 years ago

I got that start button wired correctly and it now works. When I start a game, the left diverter is open so the ball always goes in the pit. When I open the coin door and pull that button to test coils, when I pull it it opens the diverter as well. Anybody have any experience with this issue?

#1143 3 years ago

Any ideas on why my Q15 and Q16 (for the Flippers) go bad on a new board? Brand new flipper mecs, but I think they wen bad as soon as I hooked up the new driver board. Could my coin door switch's have a short? The bottom switch doesn't need to be pushed in for the game to work "IE doesn't cut power when door coin door open". The 50 volt switch does need to be pushed in or pulled to get the coils to work. I tested Q15&16 and get a continuity tone on all three posts when I test on each, and I don't get that on any other of the Mosfetts, so I'm pretty sure they are bad. I'm thinking that's why the flipper 3Amp blows as soon as the 50 volt is pushed in.

#1144 3 years ago

Any ideas on why my Q15 and Q16 (for the Flippers) go bad on a new board? Brand new flipper mecs, but I think they wen bad as soon as I hooked up the new driver board. Could my coin door switch's have a short? The bottom switch doesn't need to be pushed in for the game to work "IE doesn't cut power when door coin door open". The 50 volt switch does need to be pushed in or pulled to get the coils to work. I tested Q15&16 and get a continuity tone on all three posts when I test on each, and I don't get that on any other of the Mosfetts, so I'm pretty sure they are bad. I'm thinking that's why the flipper 3Amp blows as soon as the 50 volt is pushed in.

Sounds like you wired the flippers wrong and blew the transistors. Or there could have been a short somewhere to begin with. Happy hunting.

#1145 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I've been hearing of this uprising of some of the wives ... must be the covid isolation that is getting more wives interested. My wife wont let me sell anything. A couple of years ago she was okay with a long term plan to fill up a room and then just rotate in new/different pins. Instead, I'll be knocking down another wall in the basement in a month or two to make more room. Gosh darn.

I have 8 games in the lineup and my wife will ONLY play 1, the World Cup Soccer 94. It pretty humorous though to hear her argue and curse out the announcer when he tells her the crowd is waiting in anticipation or that she cant get control of the ball LMAO

#1146 3 years ago

Does someone have a pick of the flipper mecs wiring. I think I have them done right by the manual. My wife like our Tron also. She like a to make sure she plays it first everytime we power it up

#1147 3 years ago

When I start a game, the left diverter is open so the ball always goes in the pit.

It wound up being a MOSFET transistor on the driver board. Luckily I had one and was able to fix it

#1148 3 years ago

The garage was not staying up on my nascar and I noticed the plunger was missing the tip. I replaced the plunger and it works better but sometimes a target hit will cause the garage to go back down. There is not much extra plunger to hold up the garage. Is it adjustable?

#1149 3 years ago

I joined the club this week. My coin door is a blank, meaning it came from arcade with a card swipe mechanism.

Anyone know where I can source a proper coin door?

#1150 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I joined the club this week. My coin door is a blank, meaning it came from arcade with a card swipe mechanism.
Anyone know where I can source a proper coin door?

Blank meaning that the coin mechs, slots, and returns have been removed? If so you should be able to buy the hardware from marco or Happ.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments
Pinball Machine
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
There are 1,768 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nascargrand-prix-owner-and-fan-club/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.