New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 105039)

NASCAR/Grand Prix Owner and Fan Club

By swampfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,096 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Fieldsweeper
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you reached Champion Challenge?”

• No, but I will some day! 53 votes
    62%
  • Yes, and it was like kissing Danica Patrick with Journey playing in the background 25 votes
    29%
  • Yes, pretty good but could have been better 6 votes
    7%
  • Yes, and I was disappointed 2 votes
    2%

(86 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 322 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

large (resized).jpg
magnet (resized).jpg
thumbnail_DSC_2765 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_DSC_2769 (resized).jpg
36288B6B-BABA-40C8-A32A-1BE779901484 (resized).jpeg
F15AD7D8-5427-459D-8D13-7EE545F0B08B (resized).jpeg
20200511_220735-ANIMATION.gif
DSC_0520 (resized).jpg
DSC_0519 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200414_160217 (resized).jpg
1586885798831924302643 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200411-215451_Drive (resized).jpg
1586641171225-784016143 (resized).jpg
DSC_0464 (resized).jpg
DSC_0462 (resized).jpg
s-l400 (1) (resized).jpg

There are 1096 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 22.
#1051 5 months ago

Finally got my GP resurrected from it's sad past life as a parts machine! A lot of board repairs (battery damage) later and lots of replacement playfield components (mostly coils) she is fully functional! Pretty fun game however the garage vuk loves to shoot the ball SDTM.. I saw this a common issue an was curious if any of you could recommend a good fix.

20200511_220735-ANIMATION.gif
#1052 5 months ago
Quoted from superpin:

Finally got my GP resurrected from it's sad past life as a parts machine! A lot of board repairs (battery damage) later and lots of replacement playfield components (mostly coils) she is fully functional! Pretty fun game however the garage vuk loves to shoot the ball SDTM.. I saw this a common issue an was curious if any of you could recommend a good fix.[quoted image]

Most people just cut a piece of feltac to fit and stick it to the inside right side of the VUK where it exits. When I had a NASCAR my plan was to 3D print a piece that blended nicely so that it wasn't noticeable.

#1053 5 months ago

Yea my first thought was to 3D print something.. I'll give it a try and report back.

#1054 5 months ago
Quoted from superpin:

I saw this a common issue an was curious if any of you could recommend a good fix.

I removed the garage from the play field and opened up the mounting holes with a drill. Then I remounted it to the play field and I could move it slightly left and right. After a few slight adjustments it hits the left flipper 99% of the time.

#1055 5 months ago

The default high score table seems high as most people will never get to 100M on mine. What are average scores for everyone? The highest I’ve gotten on mine so far is 71M but I need to put in some more time.

#1056 5 months ago
Quoted from Waxx:

The default high score table seems high as most people will never get to 100M on mine. What are average scores for everyone? The highest I’ve gotten on mine so far is 71M but I need to put in some more time.

30-50M, highest is 368M. I turned down the extra ball setting after that one.

There are some stacks that are worth big points, like Victory Laps + Multiball.

#1057 5 months ago

Looking for some input.
Game plays fine until multiball.
Ball will sit behind the hauler scoring jackpot a few times before it finally ejects.
Works just fine otherwise.

Programming?

#1058 5 months ago
Quoted from RatShack:

30-50M, highest is 368M. I turned down the extra ball setting after that one.
There are some stacks that are worth big points, like Victory Laps + Multiball.

Wow, that's about the same here for 30-50 average but 368 seems crazy good. I did 71M off mostly Multiball Jackpots but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I will have to read through all the rules again.

#1059 5 months ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Wow, that's about the same here for 30-50 average but 368 seems crazy good. I did 71M off mostly Multiball Jackpots but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I will have to read through all the rules again.

Just worry about getting to Champion Challenge and it will fall into place. Hold the flipper button at the beginning of the game to see which modes will award a champ letter, then focus on completing those.

Scoring does not grow exponentially in this game so it takes a bit of strategy to get big points.

#1060 5 months ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Just worry about getting to Champion Challenge and it will fall into place. Hold the flipper button at the beginning of the game to see which modes will award a champ letter, then focus on completing those.
Scoring does not grow exponentially in this game so it takes a bit of strategy to get big points.

Thanks for the advice. I'll focus on Champ and see how that progresses.

1 week later
#1061 4 months ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Ok I need to put this subject to bed as its driving me crazy. I have replaced the cpu rom and display rom with up to date versions ( which needed doing anyway ) but the up post in the inner orbit still behaves the same. The 4 switches in the orbit all work correctly, i.e. Going clockwise left spinner, left orbit, right orbit, right spinner. Through most of a game in most modes the right spinner and right orbit switch activate the up post, the left spinner and left orbit switch do not but a left orbit shot will activate the up post as it leaves the orbit on the right side ( obviously doesn't look correct as the post is popping up after the ball has long gone ). The only time my left spinner/left orbit switch activate the up post is during infield party mode when they alternate with the right side. If this is not how it behaves on everyone elses machine I have no idea whats wrong with mine.
Can anyone please confirm that this is or isn't how its supposed to be? Is it just poorly coded ( why would you have the post pop up as it leaves the orbit? ). To confirm this is a Grand Prix not a Nascar or Dale Jr not that it should make a difference.
Thanks
Kev

Sorry, old post in this thread, but I appear to be having a similar issue with my inner lane post. My issue seems to be more of an adjustment issues however. When I try it in test mode it does not fire, but you faintly hear it try. You can slightly assist it in raising and boom it works - but only if you assist. Same result when coil power is set to soft, normal, or hard. New sleeve and coil installed on this location. Wondering if I should just replace the TIP122; haven't seen those in a partially damaged state before, but maybe Rds-on has increased significantly.

#1062 4 months ago

Well found a work around - ended up using some washers to lower the mounting bracket and that allowed me to adjust the set screw such that it fired consistently and didn't put the post too high into the playfield.

1 week later
#1063 4 months ago

Hi, I know there is another thread on this, but it looks like it’s been dead for awhile and I could use some helps / thoughts. I modified the test car per the swamp fire guide. My question is for the post on the left in front of the car, does anyone have an elegant idea for this? I have it removed because it will snag the new car, but i know it’s there to protect the side of the ball catch when the car is raised. I figure I have about .25” in height to play with. Any thoughts?

36288B6B-BABA-40C8-A32A-1BE779901484 (resized).jpegF15AD7D8-5427-459D-8D13-7EE545F0B08B (resized).jpeg
#1064 4 months ago

Any for anyone interested, here’s a definitive guide:
*Buy .25” thick lexan, buy a 1:43 scale nascar (winners circle works)
*Cut with a titanium oscillating saw to match the bottom of the test car holder, not the test car itself.
*Sand down with 200+ grit sandpaper
*Drill holes with 3/16 drill bit for plastics
*Use #8 .75” long wood screws for front of car
*Use #8 1” long wood screws for the back of the car

#1065 4 months ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

My question is for the post on the left in front of the car, does anyone have an elegant idea for this? I have it removed because it will snag the new car, but i know it’s there to protect the side of the ball catch when the car is raised.

The car is too big, find a 1:50 scale and the post will fit.

#1067 4 months ago

Thanks for the help, I tracked down that Denver Models Racing car in one of the photos here, it works perfectly.

#1068 4 months ago

Fitted some Sideblades from Retro Refurbs
Excuse the crappy phone photos

thumbnail_DSC_2765 (resized).jpgthumbnail_DSC_2769 (resized).jpg
#1069 3 months ago

My NASCAR sometimes shows coil malfunctions for #27 and/or #28, pit lock releases. When it occurs a ball may be released when it should not be.
It is not consistent. The malfunction may be appear for one or both on one day and then not appear again for weeks. I ran the diagnostics and it does not consistently show a problem either. Any thoughts on what is going on? Any suggestions on solutions? Thanks.

#1070 3 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Missing the Confederate flag.

#1071 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Funny. But check the opto(s) in the pit.

#1072 3 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

Just ordered a set.

#1073 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Ha !

I do live in the deep south ......of England

2 weeks later
#1074 3 months ago

In case anyone comes across a similar issue, here is what happened recently on my NASCAR pin.

I kept getting a message that there were coil #27 and coil #28 malfunctions. When I examined coil #27 it was hot and the covering was turning brown from heat. It turns out that the problem was the actuator wire on the switch for coil #27. The wire was slightly bent and once I straightened it, everything functioned normally. There was no malfunction with either coil #27 or #28; the #27 switch wire was the cause of the problem.

1 week later
#1075 3 months ago

Putting this out here , I have a nos decal set for Nascar minus the two ramp decals for sale in the market. $39.00 plus shipping.

1 month later
#1076 34 days ago

Anyone know where I could find a NASCAR decal set or specifically the following decals in a parted set (“NASCAR” Apron Decal, 2 Cars decals on the back truck rotating piece, and the grandstand on the back right above the play field?

I missed out on the one above.

#1077 34 days ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

Anyone know where I could find a NASCAR decal set or specifically the following decals in a parted set (“NASCAR” Apron Decal, 2 Cars decals on the back truck rotating piece, and the grandstand on the back right above the play field?

Marcos. I got a set a few months back

#1078 33 days ago
Quoted from KrazyIvan14:

I have the 2 cars if you still need those.

#1079 28 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I have the 2 cars if you still need those.

Awesome, I'll send you a dm.

1 week later
#1080 19 days ago

Love how the ball shoots around in an orbit twice before going into the playfield

#1081 13 days ago

Hi i have problem with my grand prix, its drop the balls sometimes before its reach the upper magnets in the speedway.
i think the last lower magnets is random malefunction, can i replace it with the magnets thats are on hs getaway. MAGNET COIL A-15685
or should i buy the more expensive one from marco #500-6915-00

large (resized).jpgmagnet (resized).jpg
#1082 12 days ago
Quoted from Magadovski:

Hi i have problem with my grand prix, its drop the balls sometimes before its reach the upper magnets in the speedway.
i think the last lower magnets is random malefunction, can i replace it with the magnets thats are on hs getaway. MAGNET COIL A-15685
or should i buy the more expensive one from marco #500-6915-00

I would suggest buying the exact replacement. I am not a genius when it comes to magnetic coils, but if they are the same as regular coils then the number of coil wraps matter. If you get one that is not wound enough it might not be strong enough to get the ball around the track. Too many coils and it might shoot the ball pass the second magnet and screw up the timing.

You should be able to test the lower magnet. Check the wiring underneath. That area is pretty busy wire-wise. Even a partially damaged wire or partially broken solder joint could be your issue. I would look at obvious stuff first as there isn't much that can go wrong with a coil unless it burns up and that would be really obvious.

#1083 12 days ago

Check the ohms against one of the other ones, I would check the optos before you waste money on a coil.

#1084 11 days ago
Quoted from crlush:

Check the ohms against one of the other ones, I would check the optos before you waste money on a coil.

This. And check / reseat any relevant connectors - to the magnets, optos and boards.

1 week later
#1085 5 days ago
Quoted from crlush:

I checked the ohms, and all 3 is around 4,2 ohms, i reconnected all opto connectors and boards, when i check opto i switch meny it all works.
but still same problems, very often under multiball it drops balls.

i cleaned all optos, also try magnets in test meny and they work

should i try buy new optos? or just try resolder all connections on them, can optos get old and worn out?

#1086 4 days ago
Quoted from Magadovski:

I checked the ohms, and all 3 is around 4,2 ohms, i reconnected all opto connectors and boards, when i check opto i switch meny it all works.
but still same problems, very often under multiball it drops balls.
i cleaned all optos, also try magnets in test meny and they work
should i try buy new optos? or just try resolder all connections on them, can optos get old and worn out?

In test menu can you 'bang' on the table and see if any opto activates ?? Would indicate flaky physical connection - solder or connector

#1087 3 days ago

ive crlush fifty thanks for the help.
i resolder all Optos, i i also found that the plastic ears on the optos were cracked, so they were not so tightened. I repaired that with some plastic glue,

i have played for one hour now and its works fine!

and while Im here, I have one more question. I run on code 4.00, is it worth upgrade to game code 4.5 ? can't find any read me file on that update.

#1088 10 hours ago

I just got this machine from someone as a trade. The loop around the outside is a really cool feature. Although no death save possible hahah. I wish they did the same for the new hot wheels seems like a missed opp.

Anyway, It needs all new rubber but they are mostly OK and I just replaced the flipper rubber. and a few of the post rubbers that came with the starter bag. still was all stapled to the inside of the cab. No wear.

Anything I should look for? seems to play fine. I may LED this game. but for now seems OK.

any mods? or cool things I can do with this?

#1089 10 hours ago
Quoted from Fieldsweeper:

I just got this machine from someone as a trade. The loop around the outside is a really cool feature. Although no death save possible hahah. I wish they did the same for the new hot wheels seems like a missed opp.
Anyway, It needs all new rubber but they are mostly OK and I just replaced the flipper rubber. and a few of the post rubbers that came with the starter bag. still was all stapled to the inside of the cab. No wear.
Anything I should look for? seems to play fine. I may LED this game. but for now seems OK.

A cool rpm gauge. Made by hooked on pinball

#1090 9 hours ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

A cool rpm gauge. Made by hooked on pinball

best place to find replacement parts for this? Or an LED kit?

#1092 7 hours ago

the rpm gauge is a pretty cool mod, just wish we could figure out why it sits on redline when the center drop target is down

#1093 7 hours ago

The OCD board is a must for this game and you don't need the more expensive anti flicker leds too.

#1094 7 hours ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

the rpm gauge is a pretty cool mod, just wish we could figure out why it sits on redline when the center drop target is down

It looks nice but he never got it to work right in this game. In my Mustang Pro it works perfectly.

#1095 7 hours ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

The OCD board is a must for this game and you don't need the more expensive anti flicker leds too.

What is an OCD board? And what do you mean by the flicker LEDs?

So far the game is cool. Only one issue is I need to replace most of the rubbers. However the right kicker? if that is the name for it. the contacts are bent towards the inside so it does not kick the ball unless its a really hard direct hit. The left side works fine. How can you adjust those? I tried bending it back in with my finger but it kind a just springs back

#1096 7 hours ago

What is an OCD board? And what do you mean by the flicker LEDs?
So far the game is cool. Only one issue is I need to replace most of the rubbers. However the right kicker(slingshot?)? if that is the name for it. the contacts are bent towards the inside so it does not kick the ball unless its a really hard direct hit. The left side works fine. How can you adjust those? I tried bending it back in with my finger but it kind a just springs back

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mclean, VA
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
3,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CA
Machine - For Sale
Woodstock, GA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
There are 1096 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 22.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside